• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

Yamazaki has Lin's poison effect in his new super. Both versions.

Very cool, Yama is looking great.

Btw, any thoughts on the quick max universal speed change?

Is it bringing the faster characters (like Robert) to a slower speed or is everyone going up to the faster speed?

Amedo310

Very cool, Yama is looking great.

Is it bringing the faster characters (like Robert) to a slower speed or is everyone going up to the faster speed?

No idea. I'm still testing that out.

Max mode can now be set to limitless in training mode.

Amedo310

Any benefits from using close D instead of crouch C?

cl. D does 10 more damage than cr. C.

Ok. Robert can't do cr. B(x3), st. B (quickmax) cl. C anymore.

I can see people just do cr. B (x2-3), quickmax, close or crouch heavy normal. It seems to work for the majority of the cast.

Mr. X

Health isn't how to compensate for strong tools. Mai and Leona still going to push got shit in, doesn't matter if they for faster if you so can't hit them or hit you first.

Ex Eddie in GGXX

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OMG, the tease! The new characters have been added to the game and show up in Story Mode, but can't be bought yet. Arrrrgh.

I think the characters are up on all stores now. (Im sure theyre up in Asia and US)

Nelson being able to cancel his command dash into chain moves is such an excellent buff.

Should help a lot with one of his biggest previous biggest weaknesses (having difficulty to get in).

Combine that with the EX dash buffs (can go into A combination chains and is special cancelable) and the added invincibility to his EX command grab and yeah, the dude has been really buffed.

I've been messing with that, I like these kind of buffs that require me to lab some more, Nelson is not just buffed he's more interesting now. You can even go for more stuff that's not air-tight frame data wise with this dash into C moves because of the threat of dash super cancel too. Also cr.A being + on block adds basic solid pressure on top of the gimmicks.

BadWolf

Some of the new combos possible in v2.0.

Ryo's EX Zanrestuken is anywhere juggle now.

Maxima's EX air Vapor Cannon causes a ground bounce.

I've been messing with that, I like these kind of buffs that require me to lab some more, Nelson is not just buffed he's more interesting now. You can even go for more stuff that's not air-tight frame data wise with this dash into C moves because of the threat of dash super cancel too. Also cr.A being + on block adds basic solid pressure on top of the gimmicks.

That's a great way to describe many character changes in general with this patch, they expand their play styles and take them into new directions.

Really excited to put time into Nelson, I could see his pressure being very overwhelming now.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bought the DLC character pack. All four are greyed out on the select screen. WTF?

BadWolf

Cool vid!

Btw. how to do air vapor cannon so low to the ground without doing qcb,ub+p?

Guy in the vid is like charging from crouch or smth?

Not sure why he is crouching but the second way that people do instant air specials is by buffering into the back dash. That's how people did Beni's infinite in XIII.

Bought the DLC character pack. All four are greyed out on the select screen. WTF?

Try restarting your PS4.

giving up on the dlc for tonight. Snk has let me down yet again with a kof update. Hopefully they get their act together and release the characters tomorrow worldwide.

Very incompetent.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just had a match with a guy with a two-bar connection. I think he may have been in Brazil. Didn't feel like it! Good first impressions of the 2.00 update all-around. I feel like KOF is back, baby! Hope people jump back in like I did.

BadWolf

Bandeiras's ground pound super becoming OTG is a fantastic buff, both his 1 and 2 bar damage is very solid now and builds a nice chunk of power meter too since he doesn't need quick max. The combos are really satisfying to do and work anywhere on the screen. They can easily start from lows as well.

I'm loving how the South America team plays in general now, all three of them feel just right after this update.

Just had a match with a guy with a two-bar connection. I think he may have been in Brazil. Didn't feel like it! Good first impressions of the 2.00 update all-around. I feel like KOF is back, baby! Hope people jump back in like I did.

Won't have a chance to try until later but that's great to hear.

Loona

Yo, Yamazaki's Climax DM actually goes slow motion in the middle when you are mashing.

The opponent is stuck in mid air and Yama then strikes a pose depending on how fast you mashed (looks like there are three) and then finishes the DM according (there's three versions).

I saw on Twitter a video that appeared to have 4 versions: 1st is a general beating with some kicking that retains the usual camera angle until the final hit, 2nd involve more stomping, with the camera roughly pointed from the victim's perspective, 3rd is the beating with an item, and 4th is oraoraoraoraora!

I messed around with Yamazaki briefly in training mode, and he seems pretty good. The poison mechanic on his Pit Viper super is pretty good, and is easy to combo into. Low Snake Slash knocks down, and High Snake Slash launches, which is interesting. His combo potential in MAX mode seems...lacking. EX Double Return launches, EX Snake Slash is a restand(can't seem to combo out of it. Maybe you have frame advantage?). I was hoping he'd have an EX Sand Spray that caused a crumple stun, but he does not. EX Double Return seems to be his only combo extender in MAX mode.

Also messed around with Whip briefly, she reminds me of Chang in that she's not about combos, but just bullying with big ass normals. She has two neutral jump normals, which I don't know if she ever had. Neutral jump.C is a long range horizontal whip strike(think Chang's jump.CD), and neutral jump.D is an anti-air kick.

I saw on Twitter a video that appeared to have 4 versions: 1st is a general beating with some kicking that retains the usual camera angle until the final hit, 2nd involve more stomping, with the camera roughly pointed from the victim's perspective, 3rd is the beating with an item, and 4th is oraoraoraoraora!

Yep; it's just like how Yamazaki's Drill works in the old games. Four levels, each with a different animation and more damage. In the old games, the levels were 1: kicks, 2: stomps, 3: headbutts, and 4: snake slashes.

Only difference in KOF XIV is now level 3 Drill is Yamazaki smashing you with plunder from the stage instead of headbutts.

BadWolf

Just played an online session, the match search works much better (instantly found a full page of rooms each time) and the connection was silky smooth.

Nelson felt great.

Ah, thanks. The vid I came across only showed three.

I messed around with Yamazaki briefly in training mode, and he seems pretty good. The poison mechanic on his Pit Viper super is pretty good, and is easy to combo into. Low Snake Slash knocks down, and High Snake Slash launches, which is interesting. His combo potential in MAX mode seems...lacking. EX Double Return launches, EX Snake Slash is a restand(can't seem to combo out of it. Maybe you have frame advantage?). I was hoping he'd have an EX Sand Spray that caused a crumple stun, but he does not. EX Double Return seems to be his only combo extender in MAX mode.

He can link a cr.A after the restand and then combo into EX Double Return from there and then continue on.

shaowebb

Whoa...for the first time ever...I'm not feeling Rock Howard. He used to be my jam back in the day. Now...nothing.

I dont get whats changed. Him or me?
In any case I just feel like Whip was the best addition after poking around. Also holy shit at the Verse grab nerf. Shit just whifs now. Antonov feels great btw.

shaowebb

Seems pretty negative and punishable on a lot of stuff. He looks built more for fast punish into easy 50% damage I guess. Everything he's got seems based around his QCB + LP punch extensions getting him that easy damage. Guess I know why he felt like he couldn't keep up with folks or get em off him. Dude definitely needed that counter special and Raging Storm. Might need to practice his dash up go behind special to start making his stuff safer. I wonder if I can cancel out of recovery frames on some stuff into the dash in max mode? Repuken into it would be great.

shaowebb

OH HELL O_O

Okay...Rock is an anchor max mode character with resets. This guy is one I need to run 2nd or third with a solid battery to build him up it seems. Saw a vid of folks scaring folks into Rock's neutral with raging storm before this too.

I need to go back in for awhile. He's not how I remembered from back in the day, but I think I can work with this after all. That max mode stuff doesn't look too rough at all.

EDIT: Okay Rock + blowback attacks setup some neat stuff. Betting I can get some good BNB stuff here...

He can link a cr.A after the restand and then combo into EX Double Return from there and then continue on.

You don't even have to link cr.A; if you buffer EX Double Return while the animation for EX Serpent Strike nears its end and hold the buttons down, it'll "save" the input so that it comes out on the first frame it's able to. That's what I've been doing all afternoon and it makes his 1-bar BnB so much easier than trying to time it manually.

Xevren

Wish I could say my experience was the same today because it really wasn't =/

Hyun Sai

Bandeiras's ground pound super becoming OTG is a fantastic buff, both his 1 and 2 bar damage is very solid now and builds a nice chunk of power meter too since he doesn't need quick max. The combos are really satisfying to do and work anywhere on the screen. They can easily start from lows as well.

Just did a few matches with him, he is a joy to play now that the damage is on par with the others. It's incredible. The light kick cross up is very good, and the jump HP is legit.

On the complaints, they butchered many combos of Andy due to the nerfed fireballs. I was really depressed by that :(

BadWolf

Thanks for the frame date Amedo, much appreciated.

Been trying various characters:

- Loving the OTG buff for Bandeiras more and more. Also having better success with his counter now.

- They buffed Nelson's guard break move a lot. Before you would try to get a far normal in into an activation. Now he can very easily run in for a full combo. It feels like they had a 'gloves are off' moment with him and went all out with buffs.

- They seriously buffed Ramon's EX Tiger Road. I was trying it against Athena's fireball and was taken aback (and laughed) at how fast and far the forehead follow up connected, looks like it worked full screen. Should be an excellent anti-fireball tool.

- That super cancel buff for Clark is really something.

You don't even have to link cr.A; if you buffer EX Double Return while the animation for EX Serpent Strike nears its end and hold the buttons down, it'll "save" the input so that it comes out on the first frame it's able to. That's what I've been doing all afternoon and it makes his 1-bar BnB so much easier than trying to time it manually.

Good to know, thanks man.

Just did a few matches with him, he is a joy to play now that the damage is on par with the others. It's incredible. The light kick cross up is very good, and the jump HP is legit.

On the complaints, they butchered many combos of Andy due to the nerfed fireballs. I was really depressed by that :(

Can't have everything :p

Top Bottom