• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Rymuth

Taking a small break because
Trico just ate me

Everything has been smooth sailing for me so far. Didn't get stuck on puzzles, no hiccups in animation, no glitches, no problem with the AI. It's all been a buttery experience.

Helluva job so far, Ueda! Can't wait for the hammer to drop and the emotional gut-punch that will no doubt arrive at the end. :)

AdanVC

Nice to read GAF impressions are mostly good! Too bad about the control issues. PS4 users are in heaven right now with this game and FFXV in the lapse of one week from each other... Wanted to join that hype but decided to cancel my PS4 purchase to fully save for a Nintendo Switch instead since I can't afford the two of them. I need a better job god damn!

Oof. YouTube had a thumbnail titled "TLG ending" but I quickly closed the browser. This is mere days after the same thing happened to me with Ff15 but I wasn't so lucky with that one..

Man fuck YouTube, why is that in my recommended feed. I barely watched any TLG videos.

L95

He literally just booted up the game and started ranting. The only thing subbed is
narration
and the prompts just disappear after a while. Lmfao casuals ruining my hxc game!!

Thanks for the info, I don't mind the captions, but the prompts looked bothersome, glad they go away on their own after a while.

Now that more posters have actually played, I have the following question:

I posted about it in the review thread but the complaints regarding the animal being too unruly and possibly wasting several minutes of time with inactivity and so on are really the only thing holding me back from buying it. What was described in some reviews regarding this is an absolute deal breaker for me.

I'd like to hear posters' impressions on this aspect of the game specifically. Is there some body language reviewers missed, does this significantly improve with your bond, things like that?

I'm a fan of ICO especially but like I said, if it really gets to the point of there being decently frequent minutes-long unwieldy waiting periods for the creature to let me move the game forward, it's a deal breaker for me.

Way too early to ask most of you, but Im eager to see the rankings for the ICO games

For me it's

1) Shadow of the Colossus
2) ICO

I posted about it in the review thread but the complaints regarding the animal being too unruly and possibly wasting several minutes of time with inactivity and so on are really the only thing holding me back from buying it. What was described in some reviews regarding this is an absolute deal breaker for me.

I'd like to hear posters' impressions on this aspect of the game specifically. Is there some body language reviewers missed, does this significantly improve with your bond, things like that?

I'm a fan of ICO especially but like I said, if it really gets to the point of there being decently frequent minutes-long unwieldy waiting periods for the creature to let me move the game forward, it's a deal breaker for me.
Played for a two-three hours, just past the E3 section at the moment, and haven't had that issue yet. You might have to instruct it a few times, but I think it's more effective if Trico is looking at you (not 100% sure that has an impact though)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oof. YouTube had a thumbnail titled "TLG ending" but I quickly closed the browser. This is mere days after the same thing happened to me with Ff15 but I wasn't so lucky with that one..

Man fuck YouTube, why is that in my recommended feed. I barely watched any TLG videos.
Stay off YouTube and any other gaming site except this one until you beat the game please. It's not even worth the risk for me, full blackout until I beat it.

Astral

Does this game have any replay value? I'm still not sure if I wanna get the game just yet since I have so much shit to play. These last couple of months have been crazy. Pokemon, Black Friday, FFXV, now TLG. I have a backlog for the second time in my life.

mhayes86

Great OT! This game has been a long time coming, and so much has changed in my life during those years since first hearing about its development. It's nuts.

My Amazon order of the collector's edition was delayed until tomorrow. I waited this long, I think I can wait one more day.

I WANT IT NOW!

My internet is down and I have to wait till tomorrow for Comcast to fix it. Should I wait to get my internet back up and download the patches or just pick up the game today and play it? PS4 pro btw

Does this game have any replay value? I'm still not sure if I wanna get the game just yet since I have so much shit to play. These last couple of months have been crazy. Pokemon, Black Friday, FFXV, now TLG. I have a backlog for the second time in my life.

I'd venture a guess and say it'd be similar to ICO's replay value but don't own the game. There aren't any additional secrets, NG+ or anything along those lines to discover. Trophies I assume. I've personally replayed ICO twice by now for example but simply based on the fact that it's a really enjoyable game to play, nothing 'extra' is offered.

Plum

I didn't think I'd ever consider buying a PS4 Pro but if the only way to play this game at a stable 30fps is by doing so them I'm reconsidering. This is the most first world problem dilemma ever but damn is it frustrating.

ActWan

Awww shit, I ordered it from some site in the U.K but the game doesn't release there until the 9th :(
Can't wait to play it, huge GOTY contender for me!

Performance after
first flight
is so bad,so much sutter to single frames and like 15 fps.
For those that have finished how far in am I,
back at white tower

Also played for two to three hours last night and didn't experience this. What I did notice however was that Trico was always communicating with me (showing me holes to crawl through, indicating she wants food). Also, Trico wants to follow you. Perhaps this changes as I get deeper though.

One of the reviews mentioned the puzzles are really how to communicate with the beast and I've been approaching it with that mindset. Also, I pet Trico alot.

Taking a small break because
Trico just ate me

Everything has been smooth sailing for me so far. Didn't get stuck on puzzles, no hiccups in animation, no glitches, no problem with the AI. It's all been a buttery experience.

Helluva job so far, Ueda! Can't wait for the hammer to drop and the emotional gut-punch that will no doubt arrive at the end. :)

I've had a couple frustrations but they were mostly down to me being dumb and trying to go somewhere I couldn't or missing something obvious

Really impressed with the fluidity of everything, especially Trico. The way he navigates and reacts to your presence regardless of where you are is incredible

Camera has been mostly fine, understandably tweaking out in a few indoor spots but overall not as bad as I feared. I find it works better when I stop trying to fight over its position constantly and instead try to let the game show me where to look, with minor adjustments when needed. The worst problem is the input lag and the general sluggishness, even with sensitivity maxed

I didn't think I'd ever consider buying a PS4 Pro but if the only way to play this game at a stable 30fps is by doing so them I'm reconsidering. This is the most first world problem dilemma ever but damn is it frustrating.

That it exactly the thing I just did, buying a Pro and I just have a Full HD tv (it helped that I could swap my 2+ year old launch unit for 150 euro). For this game I do anything lol.

Played for a two-three hours, just past the E3 section at the moment, and haven't had that issue yet. You might have to instruct it a few times, but I think it's more effective if Trico is looking at you (not 100% sure that has an impact though)

Thanks. Wondering if it's something to do with the increasingly complex architecture/puzzles. Its behavior in Jim Sterling's video basically pointing out what he had complained about in text is what kind of brought me to the 'deal breaker' point with it. It's one thing to write about it and be potentially hyperbolic (Vanquish...5/10....), but I'm wondering where the disconnect is then if it behaves that way in his game and seemingly not others'.

Very curious to see if, with more playtime, it emerges that there is a subtle system at work in terms of body language or something else along the lines to communicate with him more effectively, that'd be great.

EDIT: Trico is a her, nevermind.

Plum

That it exactly the thing I just did, buying a Pro and I just have a Full HD tv (it helped that I could swap my 2+ year old launch unit for 150 euro). For this game I do anything lol.

I think I am gonna do it; my PS4's getting old anyway and it's only going to get worse as more games are released. Just need to check whether I can actually afford it :p

Be careful. With the way patches work the game may be updated to change how resolution and performance are handled.

Most ps4 pro titles don't let you do what TLG does - force output to 1080 with a more stable framerate.
The majority force downsampling on the 1080 display. I'd just hate to see someone go spend that much on a new system only to be greeted with a patch a day later that ruins it

Gbraga

Shit. Thanks for the warning. RIP Youtube until I play it.

Plum

Be careful. With the way patches work the game may be updated to change how resolution and performance are handled.

Most ps4 pro titles don't let you do what TLG does - force output to 1080 with a more stable framerate.
The majority force downsampling on the 1080 display. I'd just hate to see someone go spend that much on a new system only to be greeted with a patch a day later that ruins it

You bring up a good point. The lack of in-built hardware options with the Pro is seriously a terrible design decision. Though the 4K mode does seem to have better performance than 1080p on the base PS4 so even then it should be better somewhat.

I think I am gonna do it; my PS4's getting old anyway and it's only going to get worse as more games are released. Just need to check whether I can actually afford it :p

That's what I also thought. I also profit from a bigger HDD, new 2 year guarantee, the new model Dualshock, less power usage and hopefully a more silent unit lol! And I am futureproof towards a new telly.

Plum

That's what I also thought. I also profit from a bigger HDD, new 2 year guarantee, the new model Dualshock, less power usage and hopefully a more silent unit lol! And I am futureproof towards a new telly.

Yep, there are other benefits. Being a Brit who has to wait till Friday to get the game I'll weigh up my options before going ahead with anything.

Danielsan

Got the game today. It saddens me to say that I'm dissapointed from what I've played so far. I love the way the world looks, Trico's animations and the music. But the framerate really is an issue and the camera often goes wonky when Trico walks close to you or if you're climbing Trico. It causes exploration to be a pain at times. Controls also can be finicky,especially when climbing.

Needless to say. I will keep playing and I will enjoy the world and story. But I wish the technical parts weren't hurting the envisioned experience.

hughesta

Banned
30 or so minutes in. Other than the button prompts being annoying and the occasional FPS stutter (base PS4, I'm sure it'll get worse) I've been absolutely entranced.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I can now rest in peace knowing that I finished The Last Guardian.

Juraash

So I really only have one question about this game and it may be viewed as sort of silly, but I already bought so I have to ask.

As a sensitive soul, someone who got a tiny bit choked up at the PSX trailer, am I going to be able to make it through the whole thing? I'd like the game to be...happy or at least warm hearted.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So I really only have one question about this game and it may be viewed as sort of silly, but I already bought so I have to ask.

As a sensitive soul, someone who got a tiny bit choked up at the PSX trailer, am I going to be able to make it through the whole thing? I'd like the game to be...happy or at least warm hearted.
Yes, yes you will. And it will stay with you forever. Why not take the chance? :)

Top Bottom