• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Hoje0308

Banned
I've grown accustomed to the controls and have accepted that the camera is just bad and now I love this game. Gorgeous in every way, from the totally endearing Trico and little boy, to the environments and animations. I'm not far along, as I've been taking a lot of time to soak things in, but at least for now, this is looking to be something very, very special.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else have Amazon NOT ship theirs in a box? I'm pretty pissed. It's sold out, and they stuck shipping labels RIGHT on the collectors box itself, and it's a bit town and stuff. NOT happy. I sure hope they have a replacement.

I've grown accustomed to the controls and have accepted that the camera is just bad and now I love this game. Gorgeous in every way, from the totally endearing Trico and little boy, to the environments and animations. I'm not far along, as I've been taking a lot of time to soak things in, but at least for now, this is looking to be something very, very special.

It looks far better than I expected it too, some muddy textures aside

I can't believe they even tried to get this to run on a PS3.

The sheer scale of Trico, the environments, the complex animations and hundreds of feathers and the lighting...

Did anyone else have Amazon NOT ship theirs in a box? I'm pretty pissed. It's sold out, and they stuck shipping labels RIGHT on the collectors box itself, and it's a bit town and stuff. NOT happy. I sure hope they have a replacement.

I had no choice but to go to Amazon for this and guess what? the box is damaged.

That makes EVERY single collectors edition they have ever shipped me damaged. Best Buy has never once ruined a box. Amazon will be refunding me some money again, like they do every single time and every single time I leave comments about shipping collectors editions better.

they really need to get their shit together, I've ordered 4 dollar stuff that comes packaged better then a $150 collectors edition.

edit: sorry to be off topic but people need to realize this is par for the course with amazon.

-Horizon-

My game suddenly arrived even though the tracker on amazon says its still preparing to ship >.>

But now I can't even get the preorder bonus with the theme and mini cd because the site doesn't recognize that they shipped the game to me already.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I had no choice but to go to Amazon for this and guess what? the box is damaged.

That makes EVERY single collectors edition they have ever shipped me damaged. Best Buy has never once ruined a box. Amazon will be refunding me some money again, like they do every single time and every single time I leave comments about shipping collectors editions better.

they really need to get their shit together, I've ordered 4 dollar stuff that comes packaged better then a $150 collectors edition.

edit: sorry to be off topic but people need to realize this is par for the course with amazon.

I stopped ordering small LEs (from Atlus, XSEED, etc) through them due to their bubble mailers. I go to Gamestop now, pay the full amount, but don't have to deal with damaged items anymore.

I DO, however, still order large LEs off Amazon. Haven't had any issues with them yet. Well, until now. I have NEVER seen them just slap shipping labels ON an item and send it out, as is. What if it was a gift? Awful...

EDIT: On phone now to get a replacement. Looks like they will be stocking more in 2 days.

What is going on with Amazon did they really sell out of this game? I've never seen "ships in 1 to 2 months" on a newly released game on there before. From the posts here they seem to be a bit disorganized with this game.

Hoje0308

Banned
It looks far better than I expected it too, some muddy textures aside

I can't believe they even tried to get this to run on a PS3.

The sheer scale of Trico, the environments, the complex animations and hundreds of feathers and the lighting...

It's absurdly ambitious for a PS3 game and it's now easy to see why that never happened. The animations in particular are some of the best I've ever seen. So good, in fact, that they've provided a joy of locomotion I'd previously never experienced while playing a game.

Adryuu

I'm so frustrated right now. The game world is amazing, but this silly decision keeps pulling me out.

I know right? But just try to ignore it, it's the only thing that appears that resembles a hud. There's even scenes that you don't know you have to input commands that don't have that.

The game deserves the ignoring exercise and more.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Wooow, this is the most ghetto shit ever. WTF Amazon!? Now I'm worried about my CE coming from them in a couple of hours. That shit better be packaged properly and not damaged. Mannn, I'd be pissed.

Hoje0308

Banned
I know right? But just try to ignore it, it's the only thing that appears that resembles a hud. There's even scenes that you don't know you have to input commands that don't have that.

The game deserves the ignoring exercise and more.

I'm over it and enjoying the game. Like, a lot. Enamored is probably an apt word, in fact.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Wooow, this is the most ghetto shit ever. WTF Amazon!? Now I'm worried about my CE coming from them in a couple of hours. That shit better be packaged properly and not damaged. Mannn, I'd be pissed.

The damage to the item itself is actually fairly minimal, to my surprise. UPS didn't really man-handle it too roughly. There's a tear on the corner of the slip case, and the corner of the box is ripped, but that's it. But I don't want shipping label stuff all over :/

I got a replacement coming in, going to hold onto this one until I'm guaranteed that it comes in (INSIDE of a box). I will return this one and remove the labels, cause I don't want someone from Amazon Warehouse Deals to have my shipping info on it, either. Will probably send a note saying "NEVER ship an item outside of a box!!" on it, too.

-Horizon-

What is going on with Amazon did they really sell out of this game? I've never seen "ships in 1 to 2 months" on a newly released game on there before. From the posts here they seem to be a bit disorganized with this game.

Probably not a large first shipment. I mean its still a pretty niche game all things said.

tesqui

I'm absolutely loving this game, but man the performance issues really are a bummer. (I'm on a standard PS4) I would have been okay if they delayed it a few more months to fix all that.

My CE is being held by my buddy at GS until I can pay it off so I don't have it in my hands yet but just reading posts in this thread is... well, I don't quite know the feeling. I'm so glad to see these positive impressions but more than anything, I believed it would see the light of day and it now has. I was going to buy a PS3 for this game but never did (and not just because it never came out) and now I'm saving up for a PS4 so that one day I will be able to experience it.

I'll definitely be lurking this thread.

Question several hours in:

Im trying to get to the bottom of the pool but I can't figure out what im supposed to do. I dive down towards a big opening and think im supposed to grab Trico but I never can manage to.

Edit: of course I got through that part the next time I tried.

Vaga

Only one hour in but this game is magical. Screw the wonky controls and camera, you get used to it in no time, it's all in the atmosphere, environment design, the boy and Trico interaction and the MUSIC oh man.

B33

Banned
The trick is to accept that the camera is going to move on its own accord and be difficult at times, and don't fight it. Also, turn the sensitivity up for when you do need to intervene. It's a nuisance, but it doesn't make the game unplayable.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just picked up Dishonored 2, FFXV and The Last Guardian. HOLY SHIT! The Last Guardian! Its installing right now and I'm DLing the day 1 patch and the audio profile for my Sony headset. I should be playing it in 20 minutes! I'm damn near pacing waiting for things to finish!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just picked up Dishonored 2, FFXV and The Last Guardian. HOLY SHIT! The Last Guardian! Its installing right now and I'm DLing the day 1 patch and the audio profile for my Sony headset. I should be playing it in 20 minutes! I'm damn near pacing waiting for things to finish!
Yeaaaah buddy! I'm still waiting for my Amazon CE; should be any minute now...lol.
Enjoy the journey man.

Animal

Banned
I'm so confused. I'm putting the disc into my PS4 Pro and nothing is happening. The game won't show up :(

EDIT: Restarting the system with the disc still inside made the game show up.

I'm so confused. I'm putting the disc into my PS4 Pro and nothing is happening. The game won't show up :(

Did you put it in as the system powered on? My Pro is weird and won't load a disc if I do that. I have to power on the system, then insert the disc once I'm all logged in.

*3 minutes until digital copy unlocks*

Me right now:

200_s.gif

Animal

Banned
Did you put it in as the system powered on? My Pro is weird and won't load a disc if I do that. I have to power on the system, then insert the disc once I'm all logged in.

I restarted it with the disc still in and it detected it. So many tears avoided.

wow, i've totally forgot about this
thank you!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Was supposed to get a review copy, but still nothing. If there's nothing in the mail tomorrow I'm getting the collector's edition with that statue.

I've waited all these years, why not go all out.

AwShucks

I pre-ordered from Best Buy and I still haven't got it.

I preordered from Best Buy, got the code over the weekend, but have yet to get the game. Hopefully UPS gets here today, never had a release day issue with Best Buy before. Tracking hasn't even updated past the UPS notified of package stage.

Lady Gaia

Ico sold 700,000 copies by 2009
Shadow of the Colossus sold under a million in its first year

Games and movies often perform proportionally to the reception of their predecessor. Great sequels to mediocre games often do poorly, and poor games following great games somehow do just fine. Marketing can help skew anything, of course, but a decade of built up worship of Shadow of the Colossus was likely to do great things for The Last Guardian's launch regardless of the state it shipped in.

Thankfully it looks like a really solid game. Hopefully it has legs and can create an atmosphere at Sony where another title with similar ambition isn't out of the question.

I preordered from Best Buy, got the code over the weekend, but have yet to get the game. Hopefully UPS gets here today, never had a release day issue with Best Buy before. Tracking hasn't even updated past the UPS notified of package stage.

My copy from Amazon still isn't here either. :/

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

UPS system is gone whacky. I ordered something last week. Got today. Tracking says shipping in May and deliver is June of 2016.

brawly

This second jump from
Trico's head
(very early game) is fucking impossible. What am I missing?

edit: lol I just made it. Typical.

Mik2121

Got the game last night. Played for an hour or two and I'm absolutely loving the game. The frame rate is fairly trash in many places but I'm OK with it since it's not an action game and Trico is just so damn cute...
Can't wait to get home tonight and keep playing!

Just watched the 2009 trailer again. Its crazy how close they hit thier target render. Most of that trailer is in the final game.

Its also crazy how they thought that could run on a ps3 lol.

JP

For lack of a better way of putting it...wow!!!

I've only played it for a couple of hours but so far this has surpassed The Witness as my game of the year. It's been an absolutely wonderful experience so far, for me. Very happy with it.

AwShucks

UPS system is gone whacky. I ordered something last week. Got today. Tracking says shipping in May and deliver is June of 2016.

That certainly is whacky. However, I'm not expecting it today anymore despite Best Buy order page saying today is the expected delivery. UPS usually rolls around in the morning so unless they changed route since last week when I got FFXV I'm looking at tomorrow or Thursday. To be honest, I wasn't expecting to be finished with FFXV today so my original plan was to play later this week, but I beat FFXV last night so I got all excited to play TLG today.

brawly

The moments where Trico makes big jumps to you are undescribable. I've never felt anything like it in a game.

Top Bottom