• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

eerik9000

Noticed Zavvi offers this cute slipcover and mini soundtrack as pre-order bonus = instant pre-order. And I still don't have a PS4, probably until January.

tlg.png

Wow. First, FFXV now the Last Guardian. Both not only coming out after a decade and releasing within a week of each other, but both I can put at the top of my favorite games of the year list. Here I was thinking that this fall lacked "the big games." What a way to end the year!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Game finished.

Best game of the generation, no doubts.

The Last Guardian = Ico >>> Shadow Of The Colossus.

Damn, high praise. I was always in the camp that put ICO over SotC too. Yeah, getting it tomorrow, need to play this asap.

Remf

Welp, I've been refreshing my amazon delivery tracking page all day and it says it will be delivered by 8pm at the latest, but my hopes are diminishing by the minute. Why in the hell does amazon use usps when they are so inconsistent?!?!

It should have a guaranteed delivery date since I have prime so should I call customer service if it doesn't show up? I want compensation for missing my Ueda fix dang it. :)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Welp, I've been refreshing my amazon delivery tracking page all day and it says it will be delivered by 8pm at the latest, but my hopes are diminishing by the minute. Why in the hell does amazon use usps when they are so inconsistent?!?!

It should have a guaranteed delivery date since I have prime so should I call customer service if it doesn't show up? I want compensation for missing my Ueda fix dang it. :)
I know this feel all too well sadly. Been waiting since 4 hours ago and they were supposed to be here by now. Amazon & UPS are on that bullshit again. I would've picked it up last night physically if I hadn't ordered the CE already. :/

Juraash

this game feels like a cup of hot cocoa on a snow day

I've been debating buying a Pro since they announced it and I've been debating holding off on playing TLG until I buy one. But comments like this, in addition to the guy who answered my question a few pages back, have really solidified my need to play this as soon as I get home. I was hoping the game would bring out the kind of feeling you describe and I'm so excited to play.

I'd say this game rivals Uncharted in how it does fully playable set-pieces that don't take control away from you

Although just riding Trico as it leaps and lunges through the environment feels like a roller coaster ride

1 hour in and is amazing how the games warms my heart, Trico is adorable, even his eyes manages transmit a fondness unheard off in any other character in any other game. He not only acts like a real pet, he looks like one.

I really want to play more, but I need to go to bed. Can't wait until I can play more tomorrow.

(Yeah, framerate is quite bad)

Aspiring

So i have it in my pro downloading the update. Gaf tell me, i am not that sensitive to frame drops if they are small , so should i play in 4k or 1080p? Is the resolution bump worth the few frames?

Played the beginning last night and this game is surprising me in a lot of ways I wasn't expecting. I'm so ready for this journey. The performance issues are a drag though :( The first time you get out into open space the frame rate just tanks. I can deal though.

The Lamp

I'm just 30 minutes in. No problems with frame rate yet since no open space but I love it already OMG

I actually think Trico is a very ugly creature but his animations and mannerisms make him cute like a pet

This game is beyond frustrating to play. Having to rely on Trico to make any progress while fighting the janky controls sucks. SotC had janky controls but it was all on you to succeed.

The game is gorgeous, Trico is cute and I'm sure it gets better but after missing the jump to Trico's tail for the 10th time because the kid just decides to let go I think I'm done.

Rnr1224

Can anyone give impressions on the collectors edition? Really thinking about buying it but I want to know about the quality of the artbook and the statue. Also what is the soundtrack format? Is it a CD or like an mp3 download?

This game is beyond frustrating to play. Having to rely on Trico to make any progress while fighting the janky controls sucks. SotC had janky controls but it was all on you to succeed.

The game is gorgeous, Trico is cute and I'm sure it gets better but after missing the jump to Trico's tail for the 10th time because the kid just decides to let go I think I'm done.
Where is this part?

Honestly I really haven't encountered any moments where I was frustrated that Trico is taking too long or not doing what I want.

Not 100% sure if it's actually a mechanic, but I found that Trico responds much faster when you issue a command while he's looking at you.

hughesta

Banned
framerate has stuttered for me occasionally and dropped wayyyy down to the single digits once (for like five seconds) but I haven't had any issues with the controls at all, and the camera hasn't been a problem. Every so often it'll freak out if I'm touching a border between rooms that I shouldn't be touching, but that's about it. Been smooth sailing. Got a super weird bug that resulted in me getting a trophy though.

right before the E3 demo area, Trico put his paw up and it floated in midair fo ra second and he did some weird movement and I got the trophy for catching Trico in the act. Dunno if I just missed something or if it was a legit bug but it wasn't a real issue. Anyone wanna tell me what that's about?

and agreed with the above comment - I've had almost no issues getting Trico to do what I want, when I want. Only once or twice did I get frustrated, and even then it really wasn't too bad.

Honestly I really haven't encountered any moments where I was frustrated that Trico is taking too long or not doing what I want.

Not 100% sure if it's actually a mechanic, but I found that Trico responds much faster when you issue a command while he's looking at you.

I realized in my short time, that for example if you want him to jump when you are, you should step aside. Seems that he won't jump if you are on the way.

A few hours in--greatly enjoying it. A few times I've gotten stuck only to realize how clever some of the puzzles are using Trico to reach new areas.
Tricos animations are truly mesmerizing also--blown away seeing his fur/feathers move in the wind.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sounds like they got some interesting/challenging puzzles in this game by your impressions without going into spoiler territory. Glad to read it's not a total cakewalk. :)

It's just after you have to break the Two stained glass eyes to get back outside. You have to jump down and push a windmill with the same symbol off a ledges day make Trico jump across and grab his tail afterward.

First or second jump? The first one you have to wait for him to grab you with his mouth.

It's just after you have to break the Two stained glass eyes to get back outside. You have to jump down and push a windmill with the same symbol off a ledges day make Trico jump across and grab his tail afterward.
You're doing it wrong. You have to wait for him to turn around and get in position to catch you.

I've done this part, and i dont remeber retrying more than twice. The intended sequence might be different.

raviolico

Ueda equaled Cameron: he did the impossible stunt to top his own Titanico.
The Last Guardian is now my favorite videogame of all times. Congrats and thank you Ueda-san & everyone who was involved.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I remember when people were all like 'this looks like a ps3 game'. Hell naw this shit is beautiful. I mean, you can tell why the fps is like 20 fps. So many damn tree leaves blowing in the wind with atmospheric air and shit.

Thankfully, the devs seemed to have done everything they can to make the low fps tolerable. Motion blur, camera smoothing, and the gameplay in general doesnt really require 60 fps to enjoy. But its rough for sure.

Played the first hour, love it so far. Dont have any problems with the creature so far. Seems very very realistic to me.

Great OT!

I take issue with the use of the word "catbird" in Y2Kev's letter though. I've never been able to get a cat to fetch, but my dog will fetch for like 5 hours without getting bored. Based on that evidence I petition to change "catbird" to "dogbird"

Trago

I remember when people were all like 'this looks like a ps3 game'. Hell naw this shit is beautiful. I mean, you can tell why the fps is like 20 fps. So many damn tree leaves blowing in the wind with atmospheric air and shit.

Thankfully, the devs seemed to have done everything they can to make the low fps tolerable. Motion blur, camera smoothing, and the gameplay in general doesnt really require 60 fps to enjoy. But its rough for sure.

Played the first hour, love it so far. Dont have any problems with the creature so far. Seems very very realistic to me.

Yeah, this game looks great, there's the odd N64 texture blemish here and there, but otherwise, about what I'd expect from a team ico game. Gorgeous.

Ettie

Okay, does the dogbird die or have any ending besides happily ever after? PM me if you don't want to wreck the thread or spoiler tag.

I reached a couple quiet moments that really gave me that warm, calm feeling I got in Ico. Those moments when the sun is shining, the sound of birds are echoing off the ancient walls, and the wind slowly blows through the grass around you. This description may get played out by some, but I really feel Team Ico is one of a kind.

This is meticulously put together and just like Ico, it feels like the both the environment and characters have a deep, unspoken history. Wonderful stuff.

jmaine_ph

Loved the opening. Had some a few moments that just made me smile. Camera and controls can be wanky at times but frame rate has been really solid for me. Loving it so far.

Top Bottom