• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Mezoly

Man I can see why a ton of people would actively dislike playing this game. Hell, I spent at least a quarter of the first hour feeling frustrated. Mood probably has a lot to do with it, you need to be in a certain mindset to get the most out of it. Patience is the number one factor in enjoying this game, and it's really important to resist the urge to google solutions. I have a feeling that after I finish this a lot of other games are going to seem overly basic in comparison.

It's a one of a kind of experience, but at the same time I'm glad that not every game is designed like this.

It's my GOTY so far. But your post is so on point. Patience is the key.

TrojanAg

I can't wait to get home and play this some more. I had to cut off my playtime to a couple of hours because I want to savor this game. I'm very happy with the CE as well. The steel book is beautiful and I love the artbook as well. The Trico statue is much larger and heavier than I expected, but it is a quality statue with lots of details

I'm glad I'm playing this on Pro because the game runs so steady at 1080p. The camera is the only issue I have with the game since it doesn't let you pull out very much, and with all of the tight spaces you have to go through it can cause a few problems. Also, the controls don't bother me having played Ico and SOTC, but I can see newcomers being annoyed by it. Otherwise, I love the game so far. Trico is the closest to a living thing that I've ever seen in any game.

majik13

I get that the game has the trademark Team Icon movement that feels weighty but they could have similar animations and feel of weight and yet not have this much input lag. I am pretty sure that it is mostly input lag and not really design decision because even the camera suffers from it...since I don't see why the camera should have a laggy responsiveness.

I'm still early in the game and it really feels like an old game but I guess that's what makes it unique at the same time.

I dont think its really input lag, but a too large of deadzone. It seems you need to at least push the stick 50% of the way for it to actually start moving the camera. I really hate when devs use or make large deadzones on sticks. I think the boy may have a bit too.
I would really love if there was a deadzone slider or something.

I really like what they are trying to do with the camera, but I feel I am constantly fighting it a bit. But its better than a super digital, snappy, 1:1 camera, that would just make the game look and feel well, digital. And not some cinematic cartoon.

Vaga

What are these green orbs for?

15385435_1374970659202914_1900197597697031109_o.jpg

15384466_1374973379202642_7684126223027347062_o.jpg

Croyles

While I had no problems with ICO and SotC controls/camera, I feel like the ones in this game are worse. Although much of that may just be due to the abundance of tight spaces in relation those games.
Getting off Trico is really difficult. In SotC grabbing fur was mapped to R1 so you could easily stand up and/or jump off. In this game, if I press x the boy just jolts down an inch or sometimes even lands on the other side of Trico. If I want to jump off I have to make sure to be on level surface like his head.

Another gripe is that I can't tell when Trico is just being wilful and when im doing something wrong. I press R1 + Triangle for him to jump several times and he does nothing and then I press R1 + direction and he does the jump. It's hard to tell how much of this is on purpose or not, but it is frustrating.

I may be doing something totally wrong there and would love any suggestions!

I am getting the hang of it though and am definitely enjoying the atmosphere. The animation of Trico is just beautiful. FPS is certainly choppy on OG PS4 but nothing that bothers me too much tbh.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
While I had no problems with ICO and SotC controls, I feel like the ones in this game are worse. Getting off Trico is really difficult. In SotC grabbing fur was mapped to R1 so you could easily stand up and/or jump off. In this game, if I press x the boy just jolts down an inch or sometimes even lands on the other side of Trico. If I want to jump off I have to make sure to be on level surface like his head.

Another gripe is that I can't tell when Trico is just being wilful and when im doing something wrong. I press R1 + Triangle for him to jump several times and he does nothing and then I press R1 + direction and he does the jump. It's hard to tell how much of this is on purpose or not, but it is frustrating.

I am getting the hang of it though and am definitely enjoying the atmosphere. The animation of Trico is just beautiful. FPS is certainly choppy on OG PS4 but nothing that bothers me too much tbh.

Trico does not respond immediately even when its listening to you. Spamming command often has the opposite effect of either causing it to do something you dont want to as it or nothing at all. With the jump command you really need to give it ten seconds sometimes as you'll see it get into position, body tense up and it will usually make a sound. Same with pointing in a direction and trying to get it to move. I find a couple taps of the stick and its often enough. Also Trico will listen to you more as the game goes on

I find holding X tends to be the best bet if you're trying to get off Trico or mash it a couple times so that you are fully disengaged and don't catch another part of Trico on the way down.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
OH LOL

Aready received that one but never crossed my mind to find how it looks like
There has to be a secret to them though. I really wanna find out too otherwise they wouldn't let you just grab em and walk around. We'll be potentially dissecting this game years down the line just like SOTC.

While I had no problems with ICO and SotC controls, I feel like the ones in this game are worse. Getting off Trico is really difficult. In SotC grabbing fur was mapped to R1 so you could easily stand up and/or jump off. In this game, if I press x the boy just jolts down an inch or sometimes even lands on the other side of Trico. If I want to jump off I have to make sure to be on level surface like his head.

Going off of your SotC analogy, I like to imagine that the boy auto grabs and you hold X to let go. Helped me a lot and makes going down stuff like chains/ladders a breeze. It also leads to some hilarious ragdolling when dismounting Trico by landing on your head and such.

Yeah, other than the R1+square command, I had more success just using the basic R1+direction and letting her do the jumps himself. I found that if I was slightly off or issued too many commands, she'd get confused and would sometimes even backtrack. So, I'd find a point of interest, R1+point at it, climb on and let her do the rest on her own. She's quite good at it, especially when there are multiple jumps.

leng jai

It makes sense that Trico doesn't do everything instantaneously , isn't that kind of the point? It's not a remote control car.

Croyles

Trico does not respond immediately even when its listening to you. Spamming command often has the opposite effect of either causing it to do something you dont want to as it or nothing at all. With the jump command you really need to give it ten seconds sometimes as you'll see it get into position, body tense up and it will usually make a sound. Same with pointing in a direction and trying to get it to move. I find a couple taps of the stick and its often enough. Also Trico will listen to you more as the game goes on

Thanks for the tips!

Yeah when I say I pushed it several times I didnt mean that I spammed it. I sometimes waited for like up to 20 seconds inbetween presses, then after like 2 minutes i would press a different command for something else and he would do the original intended motion. I have noticed he becomes more responsive after the game gives you that message, but I'm still constantly uncertain about how much/little control I am supposed to have of Trico and how much is me being stupid.

N30RYU

I find holding X tends to be the best bet if you're trying to get off Trico or mash it a couple times so that you are fully disengaged and don't catch another part of Trico on the way down.

I also noticed that you can't give prdcise directions to Trico while on top of his head. He's more responsive if you do instructions to him on the back of his neck.

Also don't spam the same insteuctions again and again... simple instructions and give Trico time to process what you want.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It makes sense that Trico doesn't do everything instantaneously , isn't that kind of the point? It's not a remote control car.
Exactly. It would be fucking stupid as hell if this giant man-eating catbirddog followed your every single command perfectly after you fed her a couple of wooden barrels.

Trico's AI is as it should be for the most part. Non-patient players will hate this and I say good. Learn some fucking patience and learn how to interact with this strange creature through observation.

Damn you Amazon

Can't believe its sold out there? Whats up with that
Sony fuck up with under allocating units, no doubt. Cause how is TLG selling out on Amazon!? lol

Valonquar

Amazon shipped my collector's edition via USPS fucking mail. The driver left it in the fucking rain and when I arrived home the cardboard was so wet, it disintegrated when I tried to pick it up. Miraculously, the cardboard soaked up the majority of the rainwater, and only a marginal amount of moisture hit the outer packaging sleeve. Everything inside was fine at least. It was one more roller coaster of emotions over this game for old time's sake I guess.

5 hours in and my heart breaks every time Trico has to deal with enemies.

Gradly

Trico is fantastic I really didn't expect it would react and behave this well, his AI is on another level. My only problem is with the camera and boy control they're frustrating

Baliis

I can see it being a little frustrating to have to wait as a gamer if you wanna just move on, but again, it's really a very life like behavior. You can tell a good 15-20 seconds before one of my cats jumps up something because she sits in front of it and looks up, does a couple bounces to get ready, then finally actually jumps up. The first time I saw Trico about to jump on skmething, I knew exactly what it was doing just from its behavior.

Croyles

Going off of your SotC analogy, I like to imagine that the boy auto grabs and you hold X to let go. Helped me a lot and makes going down stuff like chains/ladders a breeze. It also leads to some hilarious ragdolling when dismounting Trico by landing on your head and such.

Yeah, other than the R1+square command, I had more success just using the basic R1+direction and letting her do the jumps himself. I found that if I was slightly off or issued too many commands, she'd get confused and would sometimes even backtrack. So, I'd find a point of interest, R1+point at it, climb on and let her do the rest on her own. She's quite good at it, especially when there are multiple jumps.

Thank you! Will keep that mind.

The controls are terrible... but this game was every bit the experience I imagined it would be and more. I wish I didn't have to wait 10 years for a game like this... but it was worth every day I waited.

For pet owners, this game tugs at the heart strings even harder. Definitely my GOTY.

BrazilGaf

Banned
Played 2h I think... Game iis Great but the first hour maaan... This camera and control input lag (or huge Deadzone) really was annoying...

And u really need patience to enjoy.m Second hour was Great but then it was annoying again... And Im playing on a pro

Will pick up later tomorrow, today I had enough

cyba89

Up to the E3 section now.

I have so mixed feelings about this game. Level design is great and Trico behavior is Amazing (extremely lifelike) but camera and controls are so bad. I managed to get used to the camera but I'm still actively fighting against these terrible controls.

Framerate is often unstable but it's playable for me. Only part that caused me headaches was the outside area with all the trees in the early game.

robotrock

Banned
Anyone have a nice percentage number of how much of the game I've completed?

(LAST GUARDIAN SPOILERS)
I just got to the part where Trico lost an eye :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well he doesn't
lose an eye though. It's just like swollen or black eye or whatever.

Adryuu

Trico is more of a birdcat than a birddog, right?

Yeah well physically it's more mixed but even then I'd say there are puppy face characteristics quite prominent but there's a lot of cat, too. Behavioural it's more doggy for sure. And it sounds like nothing, except sometimes it howls like canines or cries like a cow.

I've recognized a lot of dog movements in him. And the stare. But then my dog is a bit cat sometimes. We joke saying he carries the spirit of my brother's late cat who lived in my home for some time with my pup.

It's an interesting question to see what everyone feels about it depending on their own experience.

Exactly. It would be fucking stupid as hell if this giant man-eating catbirddog followed your every single command perfectly after you fed her a couple of wooden barrels.

Trico's AI is as it should be for the most part. Non-patient players will hate this and I say good. Learn some fucking patience and learn how to interact with this strange creature through observation.

So what you're saying is this game really disrespects the players time?

just kidding, I hate when people say that.

shiba5

Up to the E3 section now.

I have so mixed feelings about this game. Level design is great and Trico behavior is Amazing (extremely lifelike) but camera and controls are so bad. I managed to get used to the camera but I'm still actively fighting against these terrible controls.

Framerate is often unstable but it's playable for me. Only part that caused me headaches was the outside area with all the trees in the early game.

I feel the same. It would be a GotY contender for sure, but there are some things that mar the experience.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Only gripes is the controls and camera.
It's definitely a Team ICO game in that regard as well lol. This will be the only gripe for pretty much 98% of the people who play this game I suspect. I had to keep reminding myself not to fight the camera & controls, becomes much more manageable that way.

robotrock

Banned
gonna be real here but I really don't understand people saying this feels like a ps2/ps3 gen game. trico is seriously one of the most impressive things I've seen in video games

hughesta

Banned
Oh no I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler :(

Gonna finish this tonight, I think. Just passed the part where
the suits of armor have a shield with that symbol on it to stop Trico, and you sneak around to deal with them.
Figure I must be around 70% done. This is gonna be my GOTG so far.

and I don't understand complaints about the controls. At all. It's mind boggling.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So what you're saying is this game really disrespects the players time?

just kidding, I hate when people say that.
I almost went red zone reading that then I saw the spoiler, phew lol.

gonna be real here but I really don't understand people saying this feels like a ps2/ps3 gen game. trico is seriously one of the most impressive things I've seen in video games
I literally laugh at people who think this was possible on the fucking PS3 ahahaha. Just watching Trico move with all that intricate detail in animations, amazing lighting, insane amount of feathers and them vast environments/draw distance! :O
This baby is nowhere near possible on the PS3 lol.

I think most of them are speaking in terms of controls/camera issues.

It also does feel like those gens but not in a bad way. Just that these experiences aren't common anynore. Everything has an open world or online hook

robotrock

Banned
I literally laugh at people who think this was possible on the fucking PS3 ahahaha. Just watching Trico move with all that intricate detail in animations, amazing lighting, insane amount of feathers and them vast environments/draw distance! :O
This baby is nowhere near possible on the PS3 lol.

To be fair, it's barely possible on my launch PS4, judging by this framerate!

Oh no I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler :(

Gonna finish this tonight, I think. Just passed the part where
the suits of armor have a shield with that symbol on it to stop Trico, and you sneak around to deal with them.
Figure I must be around 70% done. This is gonna be my GOTG so far.

and I don't understand complaints about the controls. At all. It's mind boggling.

Na ever so slightly over halfway

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think most of them are speaking in terms of controls/camera issues.

It also does feel like those gens but not in a bad way. Just that these experiences aren't common anynore. Everything has an open world or online hook
This I can see. And since the game controls so differently than other current games, it'll definitely be labeled as an outliner. Then again, Ueda games all control like nothing else on the market. Dude just does his own thing regardless of control "standards" in modern game development and I kinda love him for it. His games feel and are much more original compared to others because he does everything his way lol.

To be fair, it's barely possible on my launch PS4, judging by this framerate!
Ain't this the damn truth. I shudder thinking of the fps/performance in open areas on the OG PS4.

Adryuu

Oh by the way, I'm loving reading that many of you are having a challenge. I don't know, I think of myself as pretty bad in puzzle games, but maybe because I'm a slow player by default, and look everything (not that I ever discover everything at first playthrough), that I have the patience and slow but steady progress that Trico requires. But I felt the game was mostly easy, save for some puzzles at the end that had me stressed emotionally so I was, by far less, observant.

Observation is key to many situations, sometimes you over think some puzzle when there's no puzzle and you just have to find a kind of hidden way.

And the rest of the puzzles are mostly very simple and intuitive as long as you think simple. Don't over think any situation. If any, think of basic physics and you will get that Eureka moment. xD

Looking back I've really loved a lot of puzzles/rooms/situations.

Top Bottom