• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

A.J.

Banned
Just beat it. What a magical game even with the jank.

Ending spoiler:
Sending Trico away was the hardest part of the game for me..

I fucking hate the camera in this game. I'm normally one to just "deal with it," but I am getting so frustrated. I feel like I'm fighting the camera all the time!

Also, playing TLG in 4K (1890P) with HDR is simply sublime.

brau

I fucking hate the camera in this game. I'm normally one to just "deal with it," but I am getting so frustrated. I feel like I'm fighting the camera all the time!

Also, playing TLG in 4K (1890P) with HDR is simply sublime.

The dark areas with the light filtering in really benefit from the HDR. They look really cool.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat it. What a magical game even with the jank.

Ending spoiler:
Sending Trico away was the hardest part of the game for me..

And it is utterly genius. It's MGS3 spoiler
MGS3's ending taken to the next level. You shoot the boss...but here you actually send Trico away to end the game using the same mechanic you have been using to play the entire game. It's just so damn good.

nny

Played a couple of hours...there really is nothing else like Ueda's creations...this is not a game I'm playing - I'm being offered a chance to peek into another world and interact with another living being.

I don't think I've seen it posted yet, but the TLG First Press edition is absolutely delightful. Bless Sony for keeping it in a resealable packet, they did the same thing with Bloodborne's Old Hunter's Edition. My neurotic collector heart thanks you.

Ueda's Material Book is lovely, and has objects/places/media of meaning to him in the front of the book, and art work/info in the back. I didn't know he was a fan of Breaking Bad/Laputa/Gladiator+LotR soundtrack, etc. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong with the intention behind the material book, my kanji is atrocious.)

8b87c7a958.jpg

8b8be3a228.jpg

Played a couple of hours...there really is nothing else like Ueda's creations...this is not a game I'm playing - I'm being offered a chance to peek into another world and interact with another living being.

I haven't gotten to start TLG yet, but that's exactly what I've felt when watching videos/reviews of the game, but couldn't really put it into words. You articulated that exact sentiment beautifully, and I can't wait to step into Trico's world myself.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man the camera in this game is rough. Even expecting that going in it is a constant pain in the ass. I'm also really surprised those huge UI popups don't seem to be possible to disable, especially in a game like this.

Still, a few hours in and it's pretty interesting so far. It's a shame the tech issues are genuinely taking away from it for me. This game has some hilarious brutal ragdolling, I fell off Trico head first and basically bounced and rolled down a bunch of rocks.

This game is continuing to impress me and aim straight for my heart. It's exactly what I always wanted. Feels so great that Team ICO never lost it.

Can't explain it. I'm a mix of surprised and grateful that this game not only got made, but that it stuck to this vision no matter how tough. And it turned out beautifully.

silva1991

I don't think I've seen it posted yet, but the TLG First Press edition is absolutely delightful. Bless Sony for keeping it in a resealable packet, they did the same thing with Bloodborne's Old Hunter's Edition. My neurotic collector heart thanks you.

Ueda's Material Book is lovely, and has objects/places/media of meaning to him in the front of the book, and art work/info in the back. I didn't know he was a fan of Breaking Bad/Laputa/Gladiator+LotR soundtrack, etc. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong with the intention behind the material book, my kanji is atrocious.)

8b87c7a958.jpg

I haven't gotten to start TLG yet, but that's exactly what I've felt when watching videos/reviews of the game, but couldn't really put it into words. You articulated that exact sentiment beautifully, and I can't wait to step into Trico's world myself.

It's....
NiOPyn6a7tV3q.gif

shiba5

Just finished it. In the beginning, I thought the game wouldn't be worth the struggles I had with the camera and frame rate, but I was wrong. It was simply amazing.

Jobbs

Banned
after you go outdoors for the first time and things are bright and colorful and windy.. It's stunning. I can't remember the last time a video game impressed me like this.

Rozart

8b87c7a958.jpg

8b8be3a228.jpg

/jealousssssss

That first part where Trico
escapes the prison to follow the boy
and he stands on his hind legs on the edge of the cliff with the breeze ruffling his feathers...it's breathtaking.

EDIT:

after you go outdoors for the first time and things are bright and colorful and windy.. It's stunning. I can't remember the last time a video game impressed me like this.

Yess my thoughts exactly haha. It's such a beautiful moment.

8b87c7a958.jpg

8b8be3a228.jpg

Yeah, I need this in my life.

Sami+

What do I do to get Trico to eat? Lol. Sometimes I'll throw a bucket at him and it just bonks his foot, and when I set it in front of him he just kinda looks at it.

SirNinja

Just finished it. Overwhelmed by emotion, of all kinds.

This is one of the generation's best: an incredible achievement in AI, animation, worldbuilding, and storytelling. Ueda did it again, folks.

matmanx1

Just played for an hour. What a gorgeous world! I love the lack of a UI and the way nothing is explained. Figuring out how to interact with Trico is just like figuring out how to interact with a real life pet, except while on a jail break through an enchanted castle in the middle of nowhere.

Rozart

What do I do to get Trico to eat? Lol. Sometimes I'll throw a bucket at him and it just bonks his foot, and when I set it in front of him he just kinda looks at it.

Are you at the very beginning? You just have to move away from Trico. Try hiding behind a wall. He's just a lil shy.

The narrator would eventually prompt you to do so anyway.

hughesta

Banned
I'm not even finished yet (what % in is
getting the shield back?
) and this is probably my favorite game ever made.

Servbot24

Banned
One hour in, the controls are a little frustrating but as long as there's no quick reflex sections it should be fine

Game is absolutely stunning, dear god

Jobbs

Banned
I feel like the controls are entirely appropriate because there's kind of a realism and weight and feeling of real placement to everything. It doesn't feel traditionally video gamey in its controls.

My only minor complaint is with the camera controls. The camera likes to jerk around when you try to influence it. That's a minor gripe though.

Game is ********STTUNNNINGGGGG*****.

Are you guys playing on default sensitivity for the camera? Definitely bump it up to almost full. That plus using L1 to target Trico has basically eliminated all camera issues for me.

Servbot24

Banned
One other minor gripe, the narration seems necessary. It sometimes hurts the scene when the majesty of what's happening would have spoken for itself and been more powerful

silva1991

I wonder how many people know that we can make the kid
clean up the blood off Trico's feathers
It took me like 8 hours to figure that out lol.

Are you guys playing on default sensitivity for the camera? Definitely bump it up to almost full. That plus using L1 to target Trico has basically eliminated all camera issues for me.

Camera sensitivity is at full for me.

Spoo

Just finished it. Excellent game, and as for the ending
still holding back man tears

Can't believe it turned out this well. Both this and FFXV are huge surprises in the games that take forever and didn't suck category. Quite the opposite for this one at least -- I think I like it more than both Ico and SotC. Had some aggravating camera/technical problems, but god damn.

Jobbs

Banned
Just finished it. Excellent game, and as for the ending
still holding back man tears

Can't believe it turned out this well. Both this and FFXV are huge surprises in the games that take forever and didn't suck category. Quite the opposite for this one at least -- I think I like it more than both Ico and SotC. Had some aggravating camera/technical problems, but god damn.

Games don't suck because they took a really long time to make. They suck because they were mismanaged and probably changed hands a bunch of times with no real vision in place. There's nothing inherent about long development cycles that says the game can't be good, especially when the devs behind them are legit.

quick question about my progression and where I am

I just saw a second tricot for the first time up in the sky, climbing some structures. is that still the beginning? I got stuck few times and lost track of time

Games don't suck because they took a really long time to make. They suck because they were mismanaged and probably changed hands a bunch of times with no real vision in place. There's nothing inherent about long development cycles that says the game can't be good, especially when the devs behind them are legit.
Yup

The project took a long time because of how ambitious it was and technically taxing it was. It has more in common with The Witness than FF or Duke Nukem

The game's vision was never in jeopardy

From 2009: https://youtu.be/xF3fED8EXl4?t=145

ebil

It's incredible to finally be able to play this. Trico's animations are unlike anything I've seen in a video game.

The controls are kind of bad so far but that's to be expected from a Fumito Ueda game.

Top Bottom