• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

zewone

It's been discussed that you can HOLD R1 and push the analog stick in a direction to point Trico to where you want him to go?

Everyone knows this, right?

Cause the game doesn't tell you that. You have to play with things, and I love that about it. I love the imperfect nature of the interactivity. It feels less "gamey" to me for that reason.

At one point, near the beginning, Trico easily helped me up onto a ledge that was close to a chanin I needed to grab. But then I noticed one of those energy barrel things that Trico eats on a ledge opposite that. So I climbed back down to get it.

After Trico ate it, he became enamored with a dangling chain and began to play with it. I kept calling him to help me back up the same ledge as before, but this time it took a good five minutes since he didn't want to stop playing with the chain.

If you can't sit back and appreciate moments like that, and all they do is frustrate you, then maybe this game isn't for you?

This game is stunning. I only played an hour last night and I can't stop thinking about it. And now I have to go to Vietnam on a work-related trip that will last me until Monday and all I want to do is play.
When he's just going in circles for 15+ minutes it's no longer cute or charming.

jonjonaug

Guys, I might need some help.

SPOILERS
what do I do with this black ball thing? I shine my mirror and it gets smaller but then I try to climb it and it gets bigger

You can climb the cage and the liquid grows back slowly as long as you don't erase all of it. Shine the light until JUST before it starts shooting symbols at you then quickly climb it

Spoo

Are you talking about
the Trico fight? I was amazing that they had that going in real time. Them fighting, tumbling below, you leaping down after and interacting with the environment, it's a technical masterpiece that it's all playable

Yup. In fact, every time Trico would do a run, fall down from a great height, *any* time the world started to crumble around you, I always moved my stick a bit to see if I still had control of my character on Trico's back, and every time it was real-time. Staggering attention to detail, incredibly detailed shader work (though this would hit the framerate pretty hard sometimes), and a seamlessly designed world.

At the end when you stand over the entire explorable area I got Dark Souls feelings with how consistent it all was

Yup. In fact, every time Trico would do a run, fall down from a great height, *any* time the world started to crumble around you, I always moved my stick a bit to see if I still had control of my character on Trico's back, and every time it was real-time. Staggering attention to detail, incredibly detailed shader work (though this would hit the framerate pretty hard sometimes), and a seamlessly designed world.

At the end when you stand over the entire explorable area I got Dark Souls feelings with how consistent it all was
Even while
Trico's flying! I was shocked when I noticed I could still clamber around Trico's back as we soaring and the camera went into a more cinematic angle.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Just got access to the r1 commands and issuing them is as sluggish and vague as almost every other bit of control in this game. What am I doing wrong? If I hold down r1, shouldn't trico go where I tell him to go 100% of the time? This game is starting to become a slog with these controls.

Spoo

I remember Ico getting a lot better as it went along, is the same true for Last Guardian?

I'm 2 hours in and falling in love

Once you get about ~3 hours in, this game doesn't let up at all. It's very much like ICO in that regard. It comes into its own, and goes above and beyond feeling like a greatest hits of Ico / SotC imo.

I'm reminded of Jim Sterling's video review/impressions where he complained that Trico catching and eating a barrel mid-air was cool but it only happened twice to him in-game seemingly at random. Well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRcwpzBLuCQ&feature=youtu.be

You might want to spend some actual time working with Trico, learning its visual cues and executing it. I feed him the same way every time. The only time he refuses is if he sits and goes on a hunger strike later in the game.

Just got access to the r1 commands and issuing them is as sluggish and vague as almost every other bit of control in this game. What am I doing wrong? If I hold down r1, shouldn't trico go where I tell him to go 100% of the time? This game is starting to become a slog with these controls.

No, he'll go to the general direction. If you direct him at something that doesn't actually lead anywhere or has no relation to the path your taking, he'll gruff at you, sit down and stare. Once you walk into a new area, Trico does a pretty good job of looking at the next jump point or general area where you need to go. Pay attention to him and follow his lead. At other times you need to observe the environment yourself. I'm nearing the finale and I completely love every minute. The major platforming sections and the scale are breathtaking!

Sami+

Help me out GAF, I'm stuck. Just a few hours in I think. Is there any way to track how far I am lol?

"The beast was ill at ease until I realized he was hungry". I went in the room and found the little bucket, brought it back and fed him. Now I'm stumped lol. He's walking around but I don't know how to move the mine cart.

zewone

Help me out GAF, I'm stuck. Just a few hours in I think. Is there any way to track how far I am lol?

"The beast was ill at ease until I realized he was hungry". I went in the room and found the little bucket, brought it back and fed him. Now I'm stumped lol. He's walking around but I don't know how to move the mine cart.

Walk past the mine cart. Move one of them to jump up to switch. Trico should move the second out of his way.

Go back inside the mine and look to your left. There's some stairs there and something at the other end. You need one of the mine carts on the inside.

I'll stop there and let you figure out the rest.:)

Grisby

Got past the e3 part. I knew what to do but it was still awesome as hell. The puzzle following that one has been my favorite so far. Trico is like a mini set piece all on his own.

Sami+

Walk past the mine cart. Move one of them to jump up to switch. Trico should move the second out of his way.

Go back inside the mine and look to your left. There's some stairs there and something at the other end. You need one of the mine carts on the inside.

I'll stop there and let you figure out the rest.:)

Lmao didn't realize
there were two. Was literally thinking "damn that's a huge mine cart."
Thanks homiiiieeeesss

robotrock

Banned
You can climb the cage and the liquid grows back slowly as long as you don't erase all of it. Shine the light until JUST before it starts shooting symbols at you then quickly climb it

Make it as small as possible without exposing the
core
, and you gotta go fast.
Really appreciate the help guys. I normally wouldnt ask for a second tip but the bit directly afterwards
is giving me a serious headache with the spinning plates/fan. I can stop it with my shield for as long as I hold it in place and trico is now outside the dome...what next? Trying to aim the shield and have trico shoot at every single pixel currently

Let it be known, it's NOT controlling Trico that's bumming me out

It's how sloppily Torico controls along the camera itself

I REALLY hate that he either sneaks very slowly or goes into a full-on sprint. I mean, I can get used to it, I Just hate when analog range is wasted like that.
There's heavy and deliberate for the sake of immersion like the heavy aiming in Killzone 2.... then there's this, where it just feels... off

zewone

Seriously, you are doing something wrong.

Youtube uploads not working on my Pro right now or I'd upload a video. I could only fit 15 mintues since that's the PS4's max share size.

It's the 2nd
water
puzzle with the exact same solution so I know what I'm doing. You can see me in the video entering the same command for him to
dive
and Trico decides to just go back to the
island. Back into the water. Back to the island
for 15 minutes.

Finally, it just works.

careksims

Many many times I had vertigo with this game. This is not for the faint of heart for those who fear jumping from great heights XD. Kid got balls of steel.

L95

Played 3ish hours just now, having lotta fun. I got used to the camera's movements, though it still goes weird places sometimes. Enjoying it a lot :)

Trico is great <3

jonjonaug

Really appreciate the help guys. I normally wouldnt ask for a second tip but the bit directly afterwards
is giving me a serious headache with the spinning plates/fan. I can stop it with my shield for as long as I hold it in place and trico is now outside the dome...what next? Trying to aim the shield and have trico shoot at every single pixel currently

The edge of the room right above you is climbable.

Only played a couple hours so far, but I have yet to encounter any weird camera issues or problems getting Trico to do what I wanted it to. Every time I tried to get Trico something I couldn't get it to do, it would always end up being because that's not where you're supposed to go/what you're supposed to do. Very interested to see where this game goes.

Many many times I had vertigo with this game. This is not for the faint of heart for those who fear jumping from great heights XD. Kid got balls of steel.
The heights in this game are insane. The sheer verticality gives this game some of the most intense platforming I've enjoyed in a while

(Spoilery)
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=68329da6323e40fdf7b56f0abe2278d2&oe=58B1BA98
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=62a3603e8b6f494e1473066dafc898b6&oe=58B101C6

Man... I can't believe I'm playing this. Never gave up hope about its release despite the years of vocal online doubters, and I'm so happy for Ueda and his team. A singular masterpiece. Not done yet but pretty far.

The reveal of how the boy got to the beginning of the game and right afterward.... man. It it weren't for the future voice over I would have thought that he was a goner.

I want to beat the game but I also want to savor it and really take it in.

I'm reminded of Jim Sterling's video review/impressions where he complained that Trico catching and eating a barrel mid-air was cool but it only happened twice to him in-game seemingly at random. Well....

You might want to spend some actual time working with Trico, learning its visual cues and executing it. I feed him the same way every time. The only time he refuses is if he sits and goes on a hunger strike later in the game.

No, he'll go to the general direction. If you direct him at something that doesn't actually lead anywhere or has no relation to the path your taking, he'll gruff at you, sit down and stare. Once you walk into a new area, Trico does a pretty good job of looking at the next jump point or general area where you need to go. Pay attention to him and follow his lead. At other times you need to observe the environment yourself. I'm nearing the finale and I completely love every minute. The major platforming sections and the scale are breathtaking!

This sounds great. Much like Argo in SotC. People thought that controlled poorly, but they were just expecting it to control like Epona on N64. But Epona controlled like a mechanical tank horse.

I didn't really have an issue with this because if you fell far you either survived or went to a loading screen before you hit the ground.

Man, spoiler tag that late game talk!!!

Grisby

I really love the sense of place the game has. Having the boy fit into a tiny hole to go inside for a while only to come back out to an outside open area is cool.

And Team ICO's lighting has always been so beautiful.

Sami+

Now that I played a few hours I do feel the jank. Camera's atrocious - it's been years since I've been this aggravated with one lol. Even SotC circumvented this by having much bigger areas to avoid getting it caught on walls. I can see why some don't like the controls - they don't always seem to do as I want but I still like the feel of them anyway.

At the end of the day though I'm still loving the shit out of it. Nobody makes games like this.

BeeDog

This is the first game in ages that almost convinced me to call in sick to work and just stay home.

Can't wait to wrap up the day and continue!

Grisby

Yeah, there's jank. I also ran into my first try your patience moment with Trico. Not super great, and I hope I don't run into any periods where it's a lot longer than that.

So far outside of the one instance he's been pretty good.

leng jai

Minor spoiler:

Just ran out of a hole with a barrel and Trico was there waiting. Knocked it out of my hands immediately and gobbled it up lol.

ymgve

For those who play this on a pro, what's the framerate like?

For me, later game frame rate in 1080p Pro mode was horrible. Down to like 10-15FPS in the last segments at worst. Not sure if all the people saying it's perfectly smooth just haven't gotten far in the game or if I encountered some bug.

Dreez

This is the perfect after-work game. I appreciate not having to find collectibles or getting headshots and just getting through this labyrinth with Trico :)

Controls are easy (haven't played the previous games.)

Agree with consensus about the camera (at times).

Climbing Trico could be smoother; they need that Naughty Dog magic there!

I appreciate the moments where you wonder if Trico's gonna do what you want as he sort of pauses and try to figure out what you want. And then he does it. Freaking amazing.

NAPK1NS

I'm literally about to smash my PS4. Wow. I've never been so infuriated by a game before. Okay, so can someone help me out? I've spent upwards of an hour trying to get Trico to lift me up to a platform. I'm about 1.25 hours into the game. Just had my second run-in with the armor enemies. Trico just rolled around and enjoyed a shallow pool in an open area. Then I jumped over a small arching bridge that has been broken. Now, I'm trying to have him lift me onto a scaffolding platform made of wood. He won't listen. He keeps hopping up and leaning on all the wrong walls and refuses to lift me onto the stairs I need to get to. Goddamn it's horrible.

robotrock

Banned
The puzzles in here are so well done. Only times I had to ask for help was with the last two puzzles but that was only because I felt the game was about to end and was getting impatient about seeing how this was all about to wrap up.

shiba5

I'm literally about to smash my PS4. Wow. I've never been so infuriated by a game before. Okay, so can someone help me out? I've spent upwards of an hour trying to get Trico to lift me up to a platform. I'm about 1.25 hours into the game. Just had my second run-in with the armor enemies. Trico just rolled around and enjoyed a shallow pool in an open area. Then I jumped over a small arching bridge that has been broken. Now, I'm trying to have him lift me onto a scaffolding platform made of wood. He won't listen. He keeps hopping up and leaning on all the wrong walls and refuses to lift me onto the stairs I need to get to. Goddamn it's horrible.

I think you have to jump to the stairs if I'm remembering correctly. He didn't put me right on them either.

Jesus, i started playing at 7:30am and now it's almost 2:30pm. How does a game with no loot based systems kill the time so quickly? It's unfathomable, I don't get this with any other linear titles.

I just pushed past the E3 demo and that 2nd Trico trailer. And I have 2 major gripes with this game:

Where the fuck is the photo mode?
And why isn't there VR support? The world is just begging to be immersed! That sheer verticality!!! UGGGHH... why?

robotrock

Banned
One of the most beautiful games I've played. I have over 100 screenshots
Where the fuck is the photo mode?
And why isn't there VR support? The world is just begging to be immersed! That sheer verticality!!! UGGGHH... why?
Bro this game barely manages 20fps on my launch ps4

McBryBry

Impressions after the
Trico fight

Just like with their past games, the environments in this are wonderful. The graphical quality is reeeeeeeeeal good, and I love how the boy stands out some due to what seems to be a little art style difference. I love the contrast.

Trico is nothing but incredible. Everything is exactly as said and it seems like a real animal, and all of the little things it does like moaning when you're gone or figuring out the way to go are just ridiculous.

However, I'd be lying if I said this one hasn't pissed me off a little bit. I didn't think they'd be giving me too much trouble but man the controls and camera are killing me. Half the time I can't see what's going on on Trico's back because the camera wonks out, and I've died more than a few times because the kid decided to drop straight off a cliff instead of jump or move where I needed him to. It really sucks me out of the experience when (spoilers for the segment I mentioned in first sentence)
I'm trying to climb over both Tricos to get to the next step and I fall off the bridge 3 times because I don't really know.

Overall I'm loving everything about it, but I HATE that constant camera or control blah moments are pulling me out of it.

NAPK1NS

I think you have to jump to the stairs if I'm remembering correctly. He didn't put me right on them either.
Ach, I finally got it. Yep, just needed him to get closer. That was a phenomenally annoying experience. I'm nervous for the rest of the game.

Top Bottom