• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Spoo

Games don't suck because they took a really long time to make. They suck because they were mismanaged and probably changed hands a bunch of times with no real vision in place. There's nothing inherent about long development cycles that says the game can't be good, especially when the devs behind them are legit.

Yeah, I just had a concern, but by the mid point of the game my fears were completely washed away. TLG is absolutely brilliant, even if it has some technical problems they were never able to really fix.

Alastor3

So my friend said to me while playing this game:

I didnt really like ICO compared to SoTC. It didn't worth the 7 years in production.

I haven't played it yet but I just wanted to laugh at his face.

Jobbs

Banned
I think this game has impressed me visually more than just about anything I can think of, and I have a decent gaming PC

Spoo

I think this game has impressed me visually more than just about anything I can think of, and I have a decent gaming PC

There was stuff happening in it that, if the framerate hadn't given it away, I'd have assumed weren't running in real-time.

There was stuff happening in it that, if the framerate hadn't given it away, I'd have assumed weren't running in real-time.
Are you talking about
the Trico fight? It was amazing that they had that going in real time. Them fighting, tumbling below, you leaping down after and interacting with the environment, it's a technical masterpiece that it's all playable

Did they patch his response time? got mine today and Torico is pretty responsive. commands to jump or elevate me usually takes longer, but thats because he has to reposition first. Was expecting something worse from all the negative talk about the AI.

quick question about my progression and where I am

I just saw a second tricot for the first time up in the sky, climbing some structures. is that still the beginning? I got stuck few times and lost track of time

You're like 2 hours in. I thought I might have just imagined it because there was no comment on it but I was sure I saw one.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Did they patch his response time? got mine today and Torico is pretty responsive. commands to jump or elevate me usually takes longer, but thats because he has to reposition first. Was expecting something worse from all the negative talk about the AI.

Since I've played the only thing I have had only trouble with Trico twice and they were both very early on in the game. Neither of them slowed me down much either and one was rather cute so I wasn't even bothered by it.

gfxtwin

I'm at the part where
you're in an arena-esque room, Trico just pwned some guards and he keeps pawing at this cog thing on the wall that raises these gates slightly, but nothing beyond that.
Can anyone help tell me how to progress from here?
He only paws at the cog once, never more than that.

I'm at the part where
you're in an arena-esque room, Trico just pwned some guards and he keeps pawing at this cog thing on the wall that raises these gates slightly, but nothing beyond that.
Can anyone help tell me how to progress from here?
He only paws at the cog once, never more than that.
One word hint:
seesaw

The Lamp

I don't even know how many hours in I am but this is now officially my GOTG. I put this up with Dark/Demons Souls, The Last of Us, and Uncharted 2 as my favorite game experiences of the last 10 years.

How did Ueda do this...omg

This is the best level design I've seen in years for a 3D game.

Like the controls issues and any flaws with Trico pale in comparison to what I am playing. This is the vaporware that not only materialized but became one of my favorite games of all time.

Hope the ending doesn't blow

Rnr1224

Alright you guys got to me. Never played a game from Ueda but this looks like an amazing experience that seems really unique. Hopefully itll lead me to play Ico and SotC via Playstation Now. Ordered the collectors edition from Amazon so itll be here next week.

gfxtwin

One word hint:
seesaw

There's a seesaw looking thing...behind the closed gate lol. Unless you're referring to something else (plz answer w/ another hint if possible, heh)

EDIT: nvmnd, he figured it out. He didn't wan't me to watch for some reason lmao

Dave_6

I'm stuck for the first time and I'm not sure how to explain where I am. I'm not too far past the E3 2015 demo area;
after facing a couple of guards on a balcony (that I couldn't take out), Trico jumps up to a partially open draw bridge. I get the bridge open and we go in to a fairly small round room. Other than a hidden area with a food barrel, there is a chain hanging off to the right after you come in. I can climb the chain but I just don't see what or where to go from there.
There are a couple of bridges above but the closest is way too high for Trico to jump up to from the ground.

There's a seesaw looking thing...behind the closed gate lol. Unless you're referring to something else (plz answer w/ another hint if possible, heh)
Trico should paw and play with the lever enough to open the gates high enough for you to grab the cart and pull it out

dk3FMeW.png
rN2s0vYg.jpg

CblXF4w.png
T1YwOrM.jpg

zewone

I get they wanted to simulate dealing with an actual animal so the controls aren't very precise. But when I'm sitting here for 10-15 minutes with the solution to a puzzle and Trico won't do as I ask it's beyond frustrating and souring my experience. So far ranking much lower than ICO and SotC for me.

Unknown?

I don't even know how many hours in I am but this is now officially my GOTG. I put this up with Dark/Demons Souls, The Last of Us, and Uncharted 2 as my favorite game experiences of the last 10 years.

How did Ueda do this...omg

This is the best level design I've seen in years for a 3D game.

Like the controls issues and any flaws with Trico pale in comparison to what I am playing. This is the vaporware that not only materialized but became one of my favorite games of all time.

Hope the ending doesn't blow
Yeah it is up there with their previous two games for me. Quite the masterpiece and HDR looks fantastic!

The Lamp

I get they wanted to simulate dealing with an actual animal so the controls aren't very precise. But when I'm sitting here for 10-15 minutes with the solution to a puzzle and Trico won't do as I ask it's beyond frustrating and souring my experience. So far ranking much lower than ICO and SotC for me.

How on earth does it take you 10-15 minutes??

All you do is press R1 and he comes to you. If he doesn't, you're missing something. Try jumping onto him and let him take you new places if he won't budge. Look at him with L1 and get his attention.

I haven't had any instances except I think once where I couldn't trigger the solution to a puzzle because i was standing slightly in the wrong place. Every other time has been because I was doing something wrong.

Deku Tree

Just spent twenty minutes at the end of
section 2 first ruins
immediately before
Trico eats you
. Kept running back and forth and doing any little thing to look for a puzzle. Turns out there was no puzzle I was waiting for some thing to trigger Trico to jump down. No idea what was the trigger. Did I have to call Trico from a certain spot and then run back? Anyway finally something made him jump down. That was really really annoying.

All you do is press R1 and he comes to you. If he doesn't, you're missing something. Try jumping onto him and let him take you new places if he won't budge. Look at him with L1 and get his attention.

I haven't had any instances except I think once where I couldn't trigger the solution to a puzzle because i was standing slightly in the wrong place. Every other time has been because I was doing something wrong.

The Lamp

The one thing I am having trouble with is this aspect of controls:
jumping off chains. I can't jump off this chain to knock over that giant glass eye in the scene where Trico and I are suspended over a huge abyss.

How are you issuing commands? Outside of bugs or glitches, it should never take you 10-15 minutes to make Trico do something. A minute or two at most.

Anyone saying this is a dolled up PS2 game is really revealing a lot about themselves.
This is easily the most "next-gen" feeling game I've played on PS4.

There is no other game that has done what this game is doing. Trico is gaming's greatest technical and artistic marvel.

In the 2 hours I've played, Trico feels 100% like a real, thinking creature.

Yeah, I'm in awe of Trico and the environment design/lighting is fantastic too, it's a beautiful looking game.

zewone

I'm doing nothing wrong. The same button presses I've been inputting for several minutes and he's doing nothing. Get on him issue command. Get off him issue command. Get on him again. Eventually it works.
Just spent twenty minutes at the end of
section 2 first ruins
immediately before
Trico eats you
. Kept running back and forth and doing any little thing to look for a puzzle. Turns out there was no puzzle I was waiting for some thing to trigger Trico to jump down. No idea what was the trigger. Did I have to call Trico from a certain spot and then run back? Anyway finally something made him jump down. That was really really annoying.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not trying to look up any guides but after being stuck and trying endlessly to do any solutions I look it up and I see that what I'm doing is correct but Trico won't listen. Frustrating.

I'm doing nothing wrong. The same button presses I've been inputting for several minutes and he's doing nothing. Get on him issue command. Get off him issue command. Get on him again. Eventually it works.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not trying to look up any guides but after being stuck and trying endlessly to do any solutions I look it up and I see that what I'm doing is correct but Trico won't listen. Frustrating.
Might be a glitch. It's not really a "Eventually it works" kind of game. Trico often is pretty responsive. Even if he doesn't come right that instant, he'll usually acknowledge you or at least do something so you know you have his (or her?) attention. It shouldn't be happening randomly after many minutes

The one thing I am having trouble with is this aspect of controls:
jumping off chains. I can't jump off this chain to knock over that giant glass eye in the scene where Trico and I are suspended over a huge abyss.

It's dependent on your position relative to the camera. From memory, he'll always reach out 180 degrees behind himself so you have to position the camera so it's facing his side.

It's weird.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ive never taken so many screenshots in a game before. The Last Guardian is a beautiful looking game.

For those who play this on a pro, what's the framerate like?

Playing on a 1080p display and its a solid 30fps.

Man this seems really familiar...

Anyway yeah, I had a ton of issues I posted earlier today about how unresponsive Trico was or multiple points where the game bugged out and Trico simply wouldn't do anything or move at all.

Tonight's play session was actually leagues better. There was one instance where I needed him to stand up tall against something so I could climb up and he refused to do it and I had to lure him out of the building and re-enter, but other than that tonight was quite smooth.

Not that that's an excuse. I shouldn't have any issues at all, the game should just work and Trico should respond the way he's supposed to all the time for all players.

The Lamp

It's dependent on your position relative to the camera. From memory, he'll always reach out 180 degrees behind himself so you have to position the camera so it's facing his side.

It's weird.

I learned that
in this instance, the game wasn't allowing me to do it properly because it wanted me to push the mirror off the track, not climb down chains and jump onto it, despite doing so earlier in the game. That was probably the most frustrating design I've found so far. The rest of the game is unspeakably well designed

cazar

Neo Member
It feels so surreal to actually play this game, my feelings from the first moments were that this truly is masterpiece despite taking ages to finish development. The interaction between the boy and Trico is unlike anything I've seen in a game before and the the puzzles I've encountered so far have been really well done.

That being said I hope they can fix the technical issues so the frames would be steadier for the non-Pro users.

AwShucks

Like 30 minutes in. Liking it so far but in a rare occurrence for third person games it's giving me a bit of motion sickness. The constant camera movement is probably the reason. But I have Sea Bands now to take care of that.

It's been discussed that you can HOLD R1 and push the analog stick in a direction to point Trico to where you want him to go?

Everyone knows this, right?

Cause the game doesn't tell you that. You have to play with things, and I love that about it. I love the imperfect nature of the interactivity. It feels less "gamey" to me for that reason.

At one point, near the beginning, Trico easily helped me up onto a ledge that was close to a chanin I needed to grab. But then I noticed one of those energy barrel things that Trico eats on a ledge opposite that. So I climbed back down to get it.

After Trico ate it, he became enamored with a dangling chain and began to play with it. I kept calling him to help me back up the same ledge as before, but this time it took a good five minutes since he didn't want to stop playing with the chain.

If you can't sit back and appreciate moments like that, and all they do is frustrate you, then maybe this game isn't for you?

This game is stunning. I only played an hour last night and I can't stop thinking about it. And now I have to go to Vietnam on a work-related trip that will last me until Monday and all I want to do is play.

I haven't had any issues with Trico not following commands. The main issue is usually I don't have the camera oriented in the correct spot WHILE I'm giving the command. The game is very particular about camera position while giving commands--especially for jumping or having him get on his hind legs.

jonjonaug

Finished the game. Actually worth the wait, wow. Jumped up to my #2 favorite release this year I think.

It's been discussed that you can HOLD R1 and push the analog stick in a direction to point Trico to where you want him to go?

Everyone knows this, right?

Cause the game doesn't tell you that.

I think I actually did see this in a hint once, but I'm also pretty sure it was way past the point where that would be useful.

robotrock

Banned
Guys, I might need some help.

SPOILERS
what do I do with this black ball thing? I shine my mirror and it gets smaller but then I try to climb it and it gets bigger

Top Bottom