• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

hughesta

Banned
Trico I really appreciate you
saving me from this armor but please for FUCKS SAKE stop dropping me directly into the smallest hole possible

I would be really interested in hearing Stuburns impressions on this game, I wonder where he is now. Does he have Twitter? The guy was the biggest Ueda fan, he most be thrilled.

Game is pure delight, although I wish the climbing was more SOTC, with a button to grab and hold instead of auto. Then you can just let go and he falls.

Honestly, the architecture in this is legendary, climbing up real high gives you a real sense of wonder like you are in a dreamland.

Speaking of climbing, Uncharted and Tomb Raider can learn a lot from this game, that one section you have to climb up to knock the Eye mirror down, it wasn't automated and required some finesse but was so much more rewarding than those games. It felt like I achieved something getting up there.

Bebpo

Banned
This game is so good for hours and then so frustrating when it glitches and breaks. Got to my turn the system off moment for the night when I'm supposed to command Trico to
dive.

The first time it did it correctly and he dove into the water and tried to go through the low tunnel but I guess my game glitches because he got stuck trying to go through the tunnel and eventually we both popped back up.

After which he would never dive again. I spent 20 mins doing everything possible and Trico will not dive underwater. I reloaded the checkpoint and still no dice. Will try turning off the system and coming back tomorrow and see if he will dive or if my game broke because he glitches the scripted dive :/

Also had a part earlier in the night where he wouldn't jump until I reloaded a checkpoint so I thought maybe I wasn't supposed to have him jump and tried a million other things but no, I was initially right but he was glitching and wouldn't jump.

And I've had two cutscenes trigger parts in the game that didn't trigger initially and I ran around looking for what to do and then eventually they triggered.

The rest of the game is fantastic but all these glitches bring the game down. I think it'll be better on second play since I'll know what the path is and if it's just glitching and not doing what it's supposed to.

wapplew

We gave lots of praise to Trico, but the boy is a great character!
He is so so brave, very optimism and upbeat. That run animation when he give command or in the room with armor enemy, so cute.

gfxtwin

For me, later game frame rate in 1080p Pro mode was horrible. Down to like 10-15FPS in the last segments at worst. Not sure if all the people saying it's perfectly smooth just haven't gotten far in the game or if I encountered some bug.

Aw, man. Did it happen at other times too? How frequently does the framerate drop? And does it such a massive drop happen at that same place when you restart your Pro?

gfxtwin

This game is hilarious at times. The part where you find
the seesaw wagon thing and you're on the low end and Trico's in front of the raised end and he lightly paws at it and then suddenly SLAMS it down and launches you 50 feet in the air had me rolling

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So I was watching a stream on youtube, and the guy playing it had the kid accidently fall from a quite a ways up. Kid starts wincing in pain holding his leg on the floor for a bit, and then proceeds to walk around with a limp for a short while. This game is something else.

zewone

Did anyone else notice the lizards from SOTC are in the game? What a rad easter egg.

Yes. I immediately tried to kill them to level up.

This game is so good for hours and then so frustrating when it glitches and breaks. Got to my turn the system off moment for the night when I'm supposed to command Trico to
dive.

The first time it did it correctly and he dove into the water and tried to go through the low tunnel but I guess my game glitches because he got stuck trying to go through the tunnel and eventually we both popped back up.

After which he would never dive again. I spent 20 mins doing everything possible and Trico will not dive underwater. I reloaded the checkpoint and still no dice. Will try turning off the system and coming back tomorrow and see if he will dive or if my game broke because he glitches the scripted dive :/

Also had a part earlier in the night where he wouldn't jump until I reloaded a checkpoint so I thought maybe I wasn't supposed to have him jump and tried a million other things but no, I was initially right but he was glitching and wouldn't jump.

And I've had two cutscenes trigger parts in the game that didn't trigger initially and I ran around looking for what to do and then eventually they triggered.

The rest of the game is fantastic but all these glitches bring the game down. I think it'll be better on second play since I'll know what the path is and if it's just glitching and not doing what it's supposed to.
That's the exact same part I was stuck at. But apparently it's my fault.

The Lamp

So I was watching a stream on youtube, and the guy playing it had the kid accidently fall from a quite a ways up. Kid starts wincing in pain holding his leg on the floor for a bit, and then proceeds to walk around with a limp for a short while. This game is something else.

Yup. His voice when calling Trico even changes to a soft whimper.

When you're both in dark spaces, the boy even whispers instead.

hughesta

Banned
It's done.

This is the greatest game I've ever played. I'll never see anything like it again. I am awestruck by the absolute genius of Ueda and his team.

Thank you everyone who let this game happen.

Putty

Having an absolute blast with this! Its simply amazing! Oh wait, no i'm not because it's not out in the United fucking Kingdom!

888eddyx

Bought my copy but haven't gotten the chance to play it yet.....So tell me, are the framerate issues really that bad on a normal PS4?

hughesta

Banned
Bought my copy but haven't gotten the chance to play it yet.....So tell me, are the framerate issues really that bad on a normal PS4?
No. It dropped a few times in open areas and hit single digits once (for maybe three second but 80% of the time it was smooth sailing.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
want this and FFXV so bad, but cant help but think they will be 20 bucks cheaper boxing day, plus on winter holidays then and nothing like playing the last guardian in a warm cozy house while its snowing

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

did you read the part where they said they restarted their system and it was fixed

image.php

no, okay

jadedm17

This amazing game sure is an excercise in frustration sometimes. A lot of times.

Ive spent ten minutes now dying six plus times and i cant make a simple freaking jump off Trico's tail, i keep falling into oblivion.

Try seven lets go...
Edit : and death. The controls are ridiculous.
Hold left, he looks and leans over, press X, fall straight down. What?

Edit : Oh, triangle, shrug, i forget you need to shake off the controls of every modern adventure game that uses X. Oops

hughesta

Banned
This amazing game sure is an excercise in frustration sometimes. A lot of times.

Ive spent ten minutes now dying six plus times and i cant make a simple freaking jump off Trico's tail, i keep falling into oblivion.

Try seven lets go...
Edit : and death. The controls are ridiculous.
Hold left, he looks and leans over, press X, fall straight down. What?
That's because you jump with triangle

Spoo

Not just you. This game raises the bar especially for the depiction of wildlife

That, and the animation system never cheats or glitches out for Trico. It can and does a lot with the player character, which is admittedly a much tougher case of engineering since you have to balance the player's control with the animation, collision and physics, but Trico never once had any moments of behavior in my entire playthrough to indicate there was a bug in its timing, or other systems. The animations flowed perfectly, never skipping a beat. It's probably the most incredible case of an animated AI unit in any game, ever.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Thanks, i like the idea of triangle is up and x is down but its hard getting used to controls that go against whats become the norm.

Onwards i guess. Lol

Try custom button assignments through ps4 os?

AwShucks

The button prompts thing is annoying but I've already started forgetting they are there. Played another hour or so, I could watch Trico move around endlessly.

gfxtwin

What's worse about the button prompts in TLG compared to a game like RE4 or naughty dog games where anything interactive displays a prompt?

I'm literally about to smash my PS4. Wow. I've never been so infuriated by a game before. Okay, so can someone help me out? I've spent upwards of an hour trying to get Trico to lift me up to a platform. I'm about 1.25 hours into the game. Just had my second run-in with the armor enemies. Trico just rolled around and enjoyed a shallow pool in an open area. Then I jumped over a small arching bridge that has been broken. Now, I'm trying to have him lift me onto a scaffolding platform made of wood. He won't listen. He keeps hopping up and leaning on all the wrong walls and refuses to lift me onto the stairs I need to get to. Goddamn it's horrible.

I think I know where you are and had the same problem. I never got him to lift me up there either. Instead, move over directly in front of the gate, he lifts you up there.

hughesta

Banned
I'm literally about to smash my PS4. Wow. I've never been so infuriated by a game before. Okay, so can someone help me out? I've spent upwards of an hour trying to get Trico to lift me up to a platform. I'm about 1.25 hours into the game. Just had my second run-in with the armor enemies. Trico just rolled around and enjoyed a shallow pool in an open area. Then I jumped over a small arching bridge that has been broken. Now, I'm trying to have him lift me onto a scaffolding platform made of wood. He won't listen. He keeps hopping up and leaning on all the wrong walls and refuses to lift me onto the stairs I need to get to. Goddamn it's horrible.
This was the only part of the game that really frustrated me. Took me like ten minutes.

Bucca

The most annoying thing though is the camera fading to black to reset when it doesn't like you moving it in tight places.

Fuck. That.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What's worse about the button prompts in TLG compared to a game like RE4 or naughty dog games where anything interactive displays a prompt?

These games are usually more about showing and not telling, on top of being more immersive. I'm not a huge fan of some of the voice overs during scenes either since it basically explicitly points out what I can already take in from the moment. I forget what game it was but I know there was a dev that wanted to be able to not have trophy popups during a game which was razor focused on the story since the little blips can detract from the moment, it's somewhat similar to why the popups stick out.

That and it's a mixture of the UI itself being kinda phoned in, it's overly big for how frequently it keeps popping up. Plus in games like RE4 a lot of the prompts are context sensitive, like I can't just run up to an enemy and hit A to kick them, I only can when they're stunned. This would be similar if 10 hours into RE4 it kept telling me how to run when I get into a new room. There might be some of that kind of stuff in TLG but I keep seeing how to pull the same lever and how to climb Trico which is well past redundant when I'm a handful of hours in.

Osahi

I had this yesterday. So great.

Also, when I discovered I could
pet
Trico before the game told me. I smiled so hard

Bucca

This shit took me forever too. Try doing R1+Circle to get him to stand up against the wall adjacent to the stairs and jump off his head to them. That's how I finally managed it.

I think it's best if you spoilered your post because it encourages reading "solutions" unintentionally.

Try to observe his head movements and call out commands and see if he does any action. Hint* try to make sense of the world and physics because it ends up being logical.

This game actually encourages lateral thinking. The ones that got me stuck are the ones where I slap on my forehead when I found out the "solution". 99% of the trials I've encountered are usually under my and not Toriko's control.

888eddyx

No. It dropped a few times in open areas and hit single digits once (for maybe three second but 80% of the time it was smooth sailing.

Ok cool, I'm seeing some people post mixed results, but it's good to know there's a chance I'll be fine. Needless to say that when I eventually get a Pro, I'll give the Game a quick replay.

Top Bottom