• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

gfxtwin

lol, reading the lower scoring reviews is pretty funny. Claiming broken, frustrating mechanics and then detailing a puzzle and how they were doing it completely wrong. Embarrassing.

I bet everyone who scored under an 7 was trying to ride Trico throughout the entire game instead of having him follow. "This isn't working so I'm gonna keep on trying the same thing!". "Wait, you can command him to jump or attack? How was I supposed to know that when I ignored the tutorials!"

Yep. As much as there IS lots of room for improvement regarding the camera and especially framerate (on OG PS4), I've also noticed in just about every review there is something written that gives away the fact that the writer didn't know what they were doing at some point. Especially in regards to the complaints about Trico. You just can't treat him as a simple game mechanic that does whatever you tell it to. He's got the most complex personality of any animal NPC in a game, but there is a method to the madness. You have to literally bond with Trico as you would a pet IRL and figure out his personality to better communicate and interact with him. That's how advanced the AI is.

Harmen

Too bad it runs so bad on the regular PS4. Sony's games usually run quite well this gen, so I hope this one is an exception and not something we can come to expect after the Pro released. Given the rather problematic development cycle and team Ico's little track record (SotC on ps2 in particular), I am inclined to believe this will not be the norm for og/pro PS4 differences. For Sony titles at least.

Kinda hesitant to go back to SOTC after this. After bonding with Trico, the thought of killing those colossi again makes me feel like even more of a scumbag than the first time.

LOL, so true, almost seems like a joke from the devs. You literally need to button mash to break free. At least my grandfather is going to immediately grasp that particular mechanic when I lend him the game.

Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game ever but I didn't feel that bad killing most of the Colossi except for the more passive ones (specifically 2 and 13).

The button mashing only really bothered me on loading screens. It's not something you do lightly. You actually have to mash (just for a second but it got old fast).

gfxtwin

Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game ever but I didn't feel that bad killing most of the Colossi except for the more passive ones (specifically 2 and 13).

The button mashing only really bothered me on loading screens. It's not something you do lightly. You actually have to mash (just for a second but it got old fast).

You kinda have to press most of the buttons on the controller when you try breaking free from the guards too though, and it takes longer than during loading screens. It works, but it feels awkward IMO and I don't know why it wasn't designed so that you press just r1 and l1 or even just one of the face buttons.

You kinda have to press most of the buttons on the controller when you try breaking free from the guards too though, and it takes longer than during loading screens. It works, but it feels awkward IMO and I don't know why it wasn't designed so that you press just r1 and l1 or even just one of the face buttons.

It makes sense to do it for guards as you're doing anything you can to get away from them. There's no reason to put it on the loading screens besides a minor punishment for dying.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So, were we feeding catbird
abducted children's remains
the whole time?

Anybody gonna make a theory thread?

a bit OT and probably already posted somewhere but thinking about this game and reading the Moana thread title made me laugh:

"If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess"

Blinck

Just played for an hour or so... The graphics and animation are absolutely gorgeous, and the scale of trico is insane. Loving the game so far!

The framerate on base ps4 is unfortunately atrocious indeed. It hasn't Taken a toll on game play yet, but sometimes can be very distracting and even hard on the eyes. Wish they would patch it but I'm almost sure they wont. I'll just have to replay the game on pro when I get one.

Still, super excited to keep playing!

silva1991

:(

Just finished it and I feel so empty. Last time game made me feel like this was TLOU.

I I've the game at least 9/10

Any theories about the ball villain thing?

So, were we feeding catbird
abducted children's remains
the whole time?

Anybody gonna make a theory thread?

Yup. That was disturbing.

ScOULaris

Without giving giving away any specifics, I'll just say that Team Ico fans will definitely want to replay the game once or twice to get some of the unlockables. ;)

I just beat the game last night and loved it despite its glaring performance issues on the standard PS4. If it weren't for the very frequent and distracting fps drops I'd pretty much consider the game perfect. In its current state it's a flawed masterpiece.

Super belated impressions before I have to dash! I've been pleasantly surprised by how little trouble I've had with Trico, which is a relief after some of the reviews. I've been trying to go after all the barrels I see in case. It's just ludicrous how believable Trico is, and his thought process always seems so seamless and naturalistic, they've done a great job at disguising the transitions between his various actions. He's an absolute joy to experience, they're aren't words, really. The Boy himself is a surprise, with lots of personality and charm. I love that he talks to Trico, and that it is subtitled for us. His VA is great.
I laughed out loud at The Boy telling Trico that he's got to go back to his village, so Trico can basically stay and chill in the ruins. Trico was understandably not having it.
The narrator's presence is endearing, whilst being usefully wink-wink nudge-nudge.

My favorite moment with Trico thus far was from early on, and I decided I'd check around the corner after
Trico and the Boy first break out of the ruins. I thought I'd check it out, and come back to Trico. I was warily edging my way around the cliff, when suddenly I hear a resounding crash of rocks breaking, scaring the hell out of me - Trico, of course, had decided he wasn't going to wait. I'm sure most players went through the exact scenario, and in retrospect, I think it was in some of the previews - but that didn't make it feel any less organic and magical. The hilarity of me gingerly making my way around the cliff while Trico crashed along beside me was unexpected. After each rock pillar landing he made, I'd turn around, only to see him patiently and owlishly staring down at me. Again, most players probably go through the exact same thing, but due to how organically it had all occurred, it was still magical.
I think I'm in love, GAF.

Of course, the camera is brutal, even when speeding it up in the settings. Thank you to the folks who mention L1 for Trico, it helps a bit. Other people had mentioned just letting the camera guide you, and that also helps, except when you want to admire the art direction! I haven't found the frame rate drops too bad on OG PS4, which is a relief. Frame rate drops can be a bit nauseating. The camera is honestly my only real issue with what I've played of the game.

TL;DR - I think I've spent about ten solid minutes patting Trico thus far. That's the game, right? Who needs puzzles?

wapplew

Without giving giving away any specifics, I'll just say that Team Ico fans will definitely want to replay the game once or twice to get some of the unlockables. ;)

I just beat the game last night and loved it despite its glaring performance issues on the standard PS4. If it weren't for the very frequent and distracting fps drops I'd pretty much consider the game perfect. In its current state it's a flawed masterpiece.

How would you rank all Ueda's title?

ScOULaris

How would you rank all Ueda's title?

Oof, that's tough.

I still think that SotC is their best overall work, and Ico isn't far behind it especially if you're judging it within the context of when it was released.

TLG is probably the most ambitious thing they've undertaken yet as a team, and I think that the game suffers slightly under the weight of that ambition as evidenced by the pretty unacceptable performance on the standard PS4.

So I'd say that if the game was relieved of its performance issues, I'd put it right up there alongside SotC. The framerate troubles are the only real blemish on what I'd consider to be one of the best games I've played in years.

I have a lot to say about TLG's level and puzzle design and how they respect the player's intelligence in a way rarely seen in modern games, but that will have to wait until I can get on a computer later. That topic might warrant its own thread, actually.

Do people blame the team for poor performance? Or sony for saying its ok?

I cant really call it unacceptable, since i'm the one whos decided to stick with the super outdated console hardware.

This frame rate is ABYSMAL.

I don't think I ever complain about this type of stuff, but this is the first time I can remember feeling eye strain and a headache from playing a video game.

But the game itself? Absolutely lovely. Trico is probably the most interesting companion and animal AI I've ever encountered. Interacting with him is a joy. The animations, all the little interesting things that happen.

WaterAstro

Finished it in a straight playthrough. Excellent game.

The animations are so great between the boy and the cat dog bird. I love the physics involved in the puzzles, and how Ueda masterfully paces the progression so that everything feels new each time.

matmanx1

I wanted to stay home from work today and play more TLG. =( Entering that world for an hour or so last night and then needing to go to bed and rest has left a peculiar kind of longing in my brain. I need to go hang with my buddy, Trico. I miss him already.

Oof, that's tough.

I still think that SotC is their best overall work, and Ico isn't far behind it especially if you're judging it within the context of when it was released.

TLG is probably the most ambitious thing they've undertaken yet as a team, and I think that the game suffers slightly under the weight of that ambition as evidenced by the pretty unacceptable performance on the standard PS4.

So I'd say that if the game was relieved of its performance issues, I'd put it right up there alongside SotC. The framerate troubles are the only real blemish on what I'd consider to be one of the best games I've played in years.

I have a lot to say about TLG's level and puzzle design and how they respect the player's intelligence in a way rarely seen in modern games, but that will have to wait until I can get on a computer later. That topic might warrant its own thread, actually.

Are you not holding SotC accountable for the same technical shortcomings as TLG?

Mexen

Really glad to read your positive reviews and impressions. Awful shame about the performance on standard PS4 but I am planning on buying a Pro soon.

Jobbs

Banned
I understand sometimes the physicsy/heavy/ai nature of the game makes it a bit obtuse, but I really like it because it leads to a certain naturalness that's just not in other games.

TA6u6rL.gif

He tried to eat it, missed, then batted it towards himself and it got away.

I understand that's a fail, but I found that dynamic interaction a hundred times more interesting than if it was a standard game where you would push a button to feed him and he'd be fed.

The Lamp

I kind of want to play this, but hearing about the performance issues on a base PS4 really turns me off.

It drops from 30 sometimes but it's not that bad. Definitely not as bad as Dark Souls on consoles. If you played PS2 games, you will survive this.

Harmen

Oof, that's tough.

Don't know if you played SotC on the ps2 but that game ran absolutely dreadful, almost consistently so I remember. Not even sub 30 but sub 20s. Not that this makes TLG fine or anything, but SotC suffered from the same issues back in the day.

silva1991

I understand sometimes the physicsy/heavy/ai nature of the game makes it a bit obtuse, but I really like it because it leads to a certain naturalness that's just not in other games.

TA6u6rL.gif

He tried to eat it, missed, then batted it towards himself and it got away.

I understand that's a fail, but I found that dynamic interaction a hundred times more interesting than if it was a standard game where you would push a button to feed him and he'd be fed.

Agreed. Trico is the cutest thing when he tries to pick it up with his 3 fingered hand lol.

ScOULaris

Are you not holding SotC accountable for the same technical shortcomings as TLG?

Don't know if you played SotC on the ps2 but that game ran absolutely dreadful, almost consistently so I remember. Not even sub 30 but sub 20s. Not that this makes TLG fine or anything, but SotC suffered from the same issues back in the day.

Yes, I played SotC on PS2 countless times over. While it too suffered from framerate dips during colossus battles, it was less jarring because it would really only happen during hectic scenes where lots of dust was kicking up and action was unfolding on screen.

In TLG, for me at least, the framerate felt like it was in the low 20's the vast majority of the time regardless of what was happening on screen. It made just moving around and landing jumps harder than it had any right to be, and it dulled the impact of certain setpiece moments because they looked so choppy.

Juraash

So couple of things.

Mild mid-ish (I think) game spoiler:
The first time Trico picks you up and flips you onto his back made my heart melt. It was this great and totally unexpected buddy moment and I loved it.

Progress question:
I just got through the section after Trico saves me from the cage. He jumped out the hole he had made in the ceiling and we traveled up together. My recollection from last night is that we wound up in a building. One path had a very nice sunny balcony that he seemed to like and the other had one of those cages like the one you run into right before he eats you. Just looking for a rough %

Dave_6

Walk past the mine cart. Move one of them to jump up to switch. Trico should move the second out of his way.

Go back inside the mine and look to your left. There's some stairs there and something at the other end. You need one of the mine carts on the inside.

I'll stop there and let you figure out the rest.:)

Thanks all, this is where I was stuck last night. I was completely overlooking that even though I went in that room quite a few times.

I can't stress enough how breathtaking the high up jumping areas/puzzles are. Especially when I'm riding on Trico and he is jumping from one pillar to the next. Wow.

ScOULaris

Progress question:
I just got through the section after Trico saves me from the cage. He jumped out the hole he had made in the ceiling and we traveled up together. My recollection from last night is that we wound up in a building. One path had a very nice sunny balcony that he seemed to like and the other had one of those cages like the one you run into right before he eats you. Just looking for a rough %

If I recall, that sounds like about 70% complete.

JerkShep

After finishing the game this is how I rank Team ICO games

SoTC > TLG > ICO

They are all masterpieces of course.

Have fun my friend :)

That's probably my ranking as well. ICO is great but The Last Guardian felt...meatier? Lots of puzzles, lots of different situations. And as much as I like Yorda, the emotional bond that I developed with Trico by the end was not even comparable. Shadow of the Colossus is harder to compare.

A lot of trilogies in games have at least one stinker (Zero *cough* Time *cough* Dilemma) so I'm really really glad that the Ueda games are all great in their own right :)

ScOULaris

TYASvuv.png

The GamesRadar reviewer is wrong on that last bullet point. Trico does poop out big green blobs if he's well-fed and idles for a while. You can even pick them up and throw them around.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I'm seriously in backlog hell and these great reviews and comments from you all aren't helping me hold off on getting this.....probably going to grab this for myself as a Christmas present to me lol.

silva1991

That's probably my ranking as well. ICO is great but The Last Guardian felt...meatier?d th Lots of puzzles, lots of different situations. And as much as I like Yorda, the emotional bonat I developed with Trico by the end was not even comparable. Shadow of the Colossus is harder to compare.

A lot of trilogies in games have at least one stinker (Zero *cough* Time *cough* Dilemma) so I'm really really glad that the Ueda games are all great in their own right :)

Agreed. I will add that I also like the world/location in TLG way more than the one in ICO. I want to do another walkthrough just for the scenery.

TYASvuv.png

The GamesRadar reviewer is wrong on that last bullet point. Trico does poop out big green blobs if he's well-fed and idles for a while. You can even pick them up and throw them around.

I wonder if he does it more than once?

w0s

Is there a way to disable the tips? I'm a few hours in now and I don't need to be remind how to pick up something.

othwrwise this game is blowing me away. Glad the pro has a stable frame rate it has been butter smooth for me so far.

What happens when / if the boy
is captured and carried through the door
? I can't seem to find a clip of youtube.

I beat the game and deleted it already but forgot to test this.

I promised myself I wouldn't open this game until Christmas. Being super general, is this game Ueda magic? If TLG has the atmosphere of Ueda's classics everything could be trash and I'd be there.

This game is everything I hoped it would be and more.

I promised myself I wouldn't open this game until Christmas. Being super general, is this game Ueda magic? If TLG has the atmosphere of Ueda's classics everything could be trash and I'd be there.

Sorry, you'll have to break your promise. This game is 111% certified UEDA MAGIC™.

Top Bottom