• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

I think we put Trico and Boy up there with Joel/Ellie, Drake/Sully, etc. as one of the best duos in games, right?

pKLy9Ewl.jpg

Probably the best. Some of the interactions and animations for this game is godlike.

Naughty Dog's stuff doesn't come close to what was accomplished here tbh. There is real interaction and experimentation going on here, not just background dialogue. This reminds me far more of what some Nintendo games (and others, obviously) do where you interact and experiment with creatures and their reactions in game as opposed to just passively absorbing a script, but obviously done on a far grander scale.

The gameplay here is actually used to elevate the narrative and relationship, as opposed to forcing the gameplay to be subverted in order to tell your story. The interactions with Trico, wonky camera and all, ironically produce the level of immersion and emotional attachment that Naughty Dog all but puts a strangle hold on the player in an attempt to accomplish.

Until more devs become capable of using the medium to actually tell stories through gameplay, we're just going to see poor digital imitations of shallow Hollywood movies or cute sentimental memoir-ish indie games. Last Guardian is probably the most significant step toward "games as art" or emotional interactive experiences...ever, possibly.

Yes, I played SotC on PS2 countless times over. While it too suffered from framerate dips during colossus battles, it was less jarring because it would really only happen during hectic scenes where lots of dust was kicking up and action was unfolding on screen.

In TLG, for me at least, the framerate felt like it was in the low 20's the vast majority of the time regardless of what was happening on screen. It made just moving around and landing jumps harder than it had any right to be, and it dulled the impact of certain setpiece moments because they looked so choppy.

SOTC ran in pretty horrendous framerate for the PS2 throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GLmE7ZBPE

Not that I'm defending TLG on this matter though, just that SOTC's is mostly sub 25 fps.

ND's stuff doesn't come close to what was accomplished here tbh. There is real interaction and experimentation going on here, not just background dialogue. This reminds me far more of what some Nintendo games (and others, obviously) do where you interact and experiment with creatures and their reactions in game as opposed to just passively absorbing a script.
I was speaking more about the characterization and development of their relationship narrative-wise, rather than just the technical aspect of it. Joel and Ellie was my favorite before, but this game got me emotionally invested in the characters in a way that I hadn't experienced since then.

Agreed. I will add that I also like the world/location in TLG way more than the one in ICO. I want to do another walkthrough just for the scenery.

I wonder if he does it more than once?

Thanks to the power of current gen we get to see Ueda creating a dense world. I hope it doesn't end with this.

I think we put Trico and Boy up there with Joel/Ellie, Drake/Sully, etc. as one of the best duos in games, right?

pKLy9Ewl.jpg

I would say the best.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Be careful of the 20 minute ost on YouTube. It's more like an hour if you want all the music.

Oh shit...was browsing the manual and you're not defenseless against armor. You can pull off their heads with circle

Whaaaa

Man it does a good job of making you feel like you're hopeless with the tension and everything. I didn't even think about trying to be offensive.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh shit...was browsing the manual and you're not defenseless against armor. You can pull off their heads with circle

Wait really? I know you can sometimes shove them off the edges of cliffs/platforms but didn't realize you could actually hurt them as the boy. I do believe I saw a button prompt for "grab" popping up when I was around them but the were distracted fighting Trico. Do you have to do this from behind because if you do anything in front of them they will grab you?

silva1991

One of my favorite moments is when one of the enemies goes behind Trico to pick up a spear and then I roll into him to make him unbalanced and loss the spear. trico then turns around and is like: thanks for watching my back, now leave the rest to me "SMASH"

It felt so good.

I knew about that from one of the early TLG trailers on PS3 and it worked after I tried it and couldn't be happier.

Tiberius

Can someone help me ?

After the catapult
there's a headless statue up there
Where do you find some head to unlock it ?

Mupod

game showed up late last night so I only got as far as finding out there is a 'pet' button. That's really all I needed to see to know this is what I'm playing through this weekend. See you later Hitman and FFXV.

I wonder how many in the media know how to command trico?

There are seemingly 5 controls. Holding r1 + face button allows you to:

-tell trico to jump
-tell trico to stay
-tell trico to go a certain direction (pushing analog only)

Don't know the other two just yet, don't tell me

This isn't communicated (yet?) but if missed, I imagine it leads to a lot of frustration?

And boy do I love this kid. He's adorable, he animates great, and I love his voice lines

The camera is definitely annoying. It doesn't feel slow as much as it feels there is input lag. But it's manageable knowing there is a dedicated "look are trico" button

I have no issues with the controls but do feel they could have utilized more of the dual shock instead of cramming everything to a few buttons

Definitely loving the game.

ScOULaris

I wonder how many in the media know how to command trico?

There are seemingly 5 controls. Holding r1 + face button allows you to:

-tell trico to jump
-tell trico to stay
-tell trico to go a certain direction (pushing analog only)

Don't know the other two just yet, don't tell me

It says what they all do in the digital manual if you want clarification on any of the commands.

Handy Fake

Love reading through this.

I get the impression that people who own cats or dogs might have more of an understanding of how to get the feathery little swine to do what you want. I like that.

Love reading through this.

I get the impression that people who own cats or dogs might have more of an understanding of how to get the feathery little swine to do what you want. I like that.

I've had dogs my whole life and it really is remarkable how well thought out Trico's reactions and interactions are. Tons of little details and things to miss if you're not looking and/or experimenting with stuff, very reminiscent of stuff my dogs have done.

If you're the type who loves observing animals, you're gonna love this game.

Anyone else get the collectors edition from Amazon to find a big ass dent in your nice shiny steelbook?

I dunno what to do, not sure if they can replace it

Lady Gaia

I suspect I'm getting close to the end and it just keeps getting better. What an amazing piece of craftsmanship this title is, even with all of the technical quirks. I haven't read any of the reviews at all but I'm willing to bet the negative ones will remind me a lot of negative reviews of The Witness.

Coincidentally, both rank among my favorite games.

N30RYU

How with the awesomeness of this game they pulled that lame and dull "dynamic" themes??
They haven't even changed the background music... wtf...

The themes of ICO and SOTC for PS3 are ones of the best dynamic themes for PS3... and the ones from TLG are just plain shit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Has the game changed much during that time?

Details such as level design and gameplay mechanics were altered and refined as development progressed, however Ueda-san’s overall vision remained singular. The game has always simply focused on the intimate bond between the boy and Trico, never aspiring to dazzle with gratuitous gimmicks or superfluous spectacle.

While some of the aforementioned changes required the music to be conformed through revisions and re-writes, the overall vision for the score also remained unchanged since its inception. From the onset, the development team and I had aspired to create a poignant orchestral soundtrack hopefully as timeless and inspiring as those that touched our lives as a child.

I mean, obviously.

Top Bottom