• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Juraash

Perhaps I'm just not sensitive to frame rate drops but it doesn't feel so bad on an OG PS4.

I'm in the same boat. If gotten a couple of good chugs, but it's been only a minor blemish. None of them have happened during puzzles or critical jumps or anything.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I honestly like Trico & boy more than Joel & Ellie because of the nature of their relationship. Their interactions and the way they communicate(subtraction by design) is easily beyond what ND accomplished with Joel & Ellie for me personally. It's not even in the same realm if I'm fully honest with myself. What Team ICO/genDESIGN achieved with this game in terms of character interaction/bond is simply unmatched. And I suspect it'll stay that way for a long time. This game is fucking special.

yeah it would be great if people could move spoiler chat immediately to, you know, the actual spoiler thread

don't spoil shit people have been waiting almost 10 years for

the game isn't even out in the UK yet

I was talking about your comment! Lol.

I didn't read what it was referring to. Im on high paranoia mode.

Alright, I want to post here, but you're right, it's too many years in the making here. See you guys when Im done

ScOULaris

I think I am nearing the end. Great game, but damn that framerate..

I hear ya. It's the only real, serious issue that I have with the game. It definitely detracts from what is otherwise near perfection.

As for people who aren't noticing it as much, either you're less sensitive to it or there is variability in performance between different PS4's. For me the game seemed to drop down to 20fps (or even lower) very often. I'd say the game spent almost half of the time running in the mid-20's.

I honestly like Trico & boy more than Joel & Ellie because of the nature of their relationship. Their interactions and the way they communicate(subtraction by design) is easily beyond what ND accomplished with Joel & Ellie for me personally. It's not even in the same realm if I'm fully honest with myself. What Team ICO/genDESIGN achieved with this game in terms of character interaction/bond is simply unmatched. And I suspect it'll stay that way for a long time. This game is fucking special.

Agreed, the way the intreraction is purely in gameplay form, rather than in cutscenes and scripted dialogue, elevates boy and trico relationship above all other videogames I played until now. Because I also feel that as a player, you can even feel that bond in yourself, the bond between trico and the player.

(still playing but that's how I feel rtight now)

Valonquar

Finished the game last night. So many feels.

As impressed as I am by the game, I feel like I'm equally impressed I didn't see 95% of the game in marketing drip-feed before ever playing ,like most AAA titles I've purchased lately.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Agreed, the way the intreraction is purely in gameplay form, rather than in cutscenes and scripted dialogue, elevates boy and trico relationship above all other videogames I played until now. Because I also feel that as a player, you can even feel that bond in yourself, the bond between trico and the player.

(still playing but that's how I feel rtight now)
You hit the nail in the head. Because it is purely based on gameplay form, that connection is soooooo much stronger and you really do feel their bond within yourself. Because it is real and tangible. You form, solidify, and strengthen that bond through your actions from start to finish. This is felt and the reward from this is utter gratitude in my case. Just grateful such a thing actually exists that allows me to feel this. I really really can't thank them enough for this. It turned out to be all I wanted and so much more.

Rymuth

Stuck at the
white tower where the elevator's ceiling prevents us from going up.

Outside, there is a small staircase that led to a series of platforms but the last one is too far to make the jump.

Any hints?

Edit: apologies

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Rymuth, please spoiler tag locations/details out of respect for those who haven't played yet or are currently playing.

Hint: If I think you are where I think you are,
her tail is your friend in that elevator room.

Edit: thank you

Rymuth

Rymuth, please spoiler tag locations/details out of respect for those who haven't played yet or are currently playing.

her tail is your friend.
Thats kind of what i figured but no matter what I do, I couldn't make that happen.

Also, kind of ironic that had you to reveal the
gender.
:p

I guess I earned that bad karma.

her tail is your friend in that elevator room.

Edit: thank you

Why do you think trico's female c:

Finished the game last night. So many feels.

As impressed as I am by the game, I feel like I'm equally impressed I didn't see 95% of the game in marketing drip-feed before ever playing ,like most AAA titles I've purchased lately.

Yup while i go hard on media blackout.I always watch trailers after and its it didnt get spoilery till the last one.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Lol I don't know why I thought he was a she. I read it in this thread waaay earlier and it kinda stuck with me. Sorry for the confusion, carry on.

I'm slightly upset I just can't play this game in the OG PS4. The fps is just terrible to the point I get a headache. I'll just have to come back to it when I get the pro.

Man this game is beautiful tho.

Don't want to read much of this thread until I finish the game.

I have to say that this game has parts more intense than I thought it'd have.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Still waiting for my copy to arrive, sadly. First time Amazon has ever let me down.

Is this more like Ico than SotC? Because I adore Ico.

Its more like Ico but you're playing Yorda this time around and the Ico character is a giant catbirddog. There are hints of SotC like climbing but I find its more ambitious than Ico ever was.

ChrisD

Alright, now I'm starting to get worried on top of the annoyance.

Amazon charged me the $100 I owed on my LE the night of the 5th. It said "expected delivery date of December 12th or 13th." I figured, "Oh, yeah, it's the holidays, mail will be slow."

Game still hasn't even shipped. Went to check my bank account just now to write down my total (try to keep a paper in my wallet with the day's total), and the money was back in my account. There's no history of it even showing up in my transactions. The Amazon payment just doesn't exist.

I'm going to just hope and assume that what happens is that they put a hold on money before shipping, then charge when they do ship, and it just got "refunded" (hold removed) because they still haven't shipped the dang thing after 72 hours?

I want to contact Support, but I don't actually know what the problem is here. Technically speaking, I'm still getting it "on-time" so long as I receive my package by the 13th. I've got nothing to ask them other than, "hey, when is my stuff going to ship?"

This furthers my annoyance for Amazon as a non-Prime user. Just because I chose Standard Shipping shouldn't mean I have to wait for three (or more) days after your stock is received before I'm even thought of.

MrHoot

I think i'm nearing the end, but damn some moments

One puzzle i really liked:
Using trico jumping into the water to level me up to access the lever. It's so simple but yet so brilliant when I found out how to progress

And the feels part:
After the second flash back and Trico desperately carries you around to try and wake you up

wapplew

Anyone constantly try to talk to Trico like an idiot?
I said out loud to the screen when Trico wonder around "Trico, you do you"

Vaga

I think i'm nearing the end, but damn some moments

And the feels part:
After the second flash back and Trico desperately carries you around to try and wake you up

When the boy woke up and Trico started jumping for joy
that was a legit ninja cutting onions moment.

And the setpieces following that area HOLY FUCK.

The Lamp

If only we had some system where you could hide spoilers,but people could choose to view them. That way people could get help and not spoil the entire game for themselves.

Dont click on the spoilers tags.
Nobody is forcing you to click on the spoiler tags.

To be honest, several people are being really dumb about spoilering their content here. They're not properly describing or introducing the spoiler risk before they tag it.

Please, people. If it's a spoiler, say where in the game you are so people know whether they can click your spoiler or not.

Oh shit...was browsing the manual and you're not defenseless against armor. You can pull off their heads with circle

What?

Damn this game is full of secrets.

brawly

Wasn't there a recent game that had a "jump off the wall/edge while hanging on it" button? Was it Uncharted 4?

That my only gripe in terms of controls.

Adryuu

On spoiilers, please use the spoiler thread if you have finished. If asking for tips, well, it's quite hard to tell where you are in the game sometimes.

My advice for people not having finished is to NOT open anyone else's spoiler tags.

Sorry fellas but it's best if you just wait for someone who has finished the game to open your spoiler tags and help you out. On the other hand, it seems a lot of people who has finished is still hanging out in this thread. I know I do.

I really want Sony to make TLG "screen saver" thing for PSVR.
Just a boy and Trico chill in the ruins.

SHIIIIIIT then I'd have to buy a fucking PSVR thing.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Yeah, it's in the trophies too.

When Trico knocks them down they're inactive for a brief period. You can run up and pull off their helmets.

You can also cling to their backs but I haven't figured that one out, unless they're referring to when they're carrying you away.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd enjoy a bit of DLC that was basically just a huge open playground with all kinds of items and mini puzzles and such to fool around with Trico. Maybe an obstacle course and things of that nature. I think it would be really cool to just be able to fuck about with Trico without worrying about progressing too much.

mcz117chief

So far I am about 3 hours in and most of that time I wished I was playing something else. Man, the controls have the worst input lag since Killzone 2 and a terrible framerate to boot, making the game almost uncontrollable at times. And on top of that Trico is so incredibly random and moody that despite me repeatedly telling him to jump he never did, until about 10 minutes later when the game told me to do the jump command only then did he actually jump.

Compared to the previous games it's pretty meh so far. In Ico you can control Yorda and yourself with precision at all times and in SotC Agro has very good pathfinding AI and when you are off the saddle he is always nearby and is self-sufficient. I don't expect the framerate or the controls to fix themselves as I play so I hope there won't be any time sensitive jumps or chaotic situations because I have no idea how I would be able to pull anything of the sorts under these conditions.

Trico is a male, people.

Exactly, where did people get the idea anyway?

WTMGqVa.png

From an interview with Yoshida. Entirely possible he was mistaken but that's the only bit of evidence about the issue I've found one way or the other.

Adryuu

Don't most english speaking people refer to any animal as 'she'? Even if it's a male? At least when it's not known or easily determined.

Trico is a he because in my mind he's a he. In your playthrough he should be whatever you want. Even a banana. I don't care.

Top Bottom