• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm stuck on a part for the first time without really seeing what I'm meant to do. It seems hard to say where I am in a game like this but being vague it's a bit after a catapult type thing.

Room full of water, I got Trico to jump in and seemed to teach him how to dive underwater but I'm not sure what I'm actually doing here. I can't seem to get him to dive with me on his back, I was able to dive and grab him while he did the same which got me to the bottom where there looks like a gate, but the camera went crazy and I couldn't see much else. I don't see anything in the room to open it though.

I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious.

Vaga

I'm stuck on a part for the first time without really seeing what I'm meant to do. It seems hard to say where I am in a game like this but being vague it's a bit after a catapult type thing.

Room full of water, I got Trico to jump in and seemed to teach him how to dive underwater but I'm not sure what I'm actually doing here. I can't seem to get him to dive with me on his back, I was able to dive and grab him while he did the same which got me to the bottom where there looks like a gate, but the camera went crazy and I couldn't see much else. I don't see anything in the room to open it though.

I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious.

Dive under the gate to open the door at the bottom.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I actually get excited for you guys that are going to/are playing this for the first time. Is that weird? lol
Gonna start my second playthrough tonight and just soak it all in. Really wish I could wipe memory of first playthrough right about now.

wmlk

OK so, I don't want to see jack shit here. I'm gonna go into this game soon and I want some questions answered before I make the purchase. Just answer these two questions please.

1. How large is the Day One patch?
2. Are there any major issues with the base PS4 (that may be addressed in a major patch in the future)?

Thanks.

zewone

OK so, I don't want to see jack shit here. I'm gonna go into this game soon and I want some questions answered before I make the purchase. Just answer these two questions please.

2. Are there any major issues with the base PS4 (that may be addressed in a major patch in the future)?

Thanks.

1. Like 1GB
2. Yes, framerate is bad on base PS4.

20-30fps, but never really hits 30.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Thanks.

The patch is like a gig and the game suffers from frame rate issues on the base PS4 though its not as bad as SotC on the PS2. Personally it doesn't bother me all that much but I'm not as sensitive to FPS as others are. That and some people seem to have some issues with the controls and camera but I find if you play the game with a similar mindset to how the GTA games control, a physics based movement engine that has animation priority.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wow I just wanted to see a random portion of the game in the middle of the game and my god the camera seems abysmal. Warning spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5nZO_HL2K8

I didn't think it was that bad :(

I find its a camera that you shouldn't really adjust all that much aside from light touches and small adjustments. That and pressing L1 focuses it on Trico which I find is a huge help and relatively pain free.

nny

Played a few more hours, amazing. This game is so beautiful, and I'm not speaking only about visuals. Saw a
second catbird in the distance!
Got a trophy for
catching Trico relieving himself
lol. Trico is so cute when he sneezes ;P I've been having very little problems with the camera, L1 is your friend! The only thing I didn't like and frustrated me was dealing with
a few guards in tight spaces while trying to figure out what to do and where to go. Look around a little, get caught, mash buttons, run a bit more, get caught, etc. I tried to headbut them to throw them off a ledge but wasn't successful. Now I'm dreading meeting more of them in similar conditions as I proceed.

My mom saw me playing, sat next to me and stayed there for 15 minutes or so - this never happens! Ueda magic.

FUCK. Saw some post of custom cover art on Reddit and saw the front box pic. Then I saw it was marked a spoiler. I really fucking hope it wasn't

Wink

Finished! It was very special - and exhausting. I'm drained now, but very content.

For the amount of complaints about guidance I've heard I was surprised how easy it was overall, thanks to just brilliant level design. There was only one bullshit puzzle which had to be solved by trial and error.

Trico worked like a charm most of the time for me. A little observance and patience rewards the player with a truly unique gameplay mechanic and the most lifelike non player controlled creature I have ever experienced.

Thank you to Sony for not cancelling this overambitious project and to Ueda for reaching for the stars. Amazing work. 10 years of wait for anything seldom is worth it, but in this case it was.

Grisby

Alright I'm stuck. Maybe middle of the game? I dunno.

In the
giant water room. Need to get to the level to open gate but the ladder is busted. Tried looking for a box or something but nothings coming up.

Vaga

In the
giant water room. Need to get to the level to open gate but the ladder is busted. Tried looking for a box or something but nothings coming up.

Use your imagination. What could possibly
launch you up from where the ladder is
?

I'm avoiding giving you the solution because that's one of the best puzzles in the game.

Aenima

In the

Took me a little bit to figure that one out, but the solution for that "puzzle" placed a huge smile in my face. Simply brilliant.

You have to stay near the broken ladder, see if Trico is on top of the rock (aka not in water) then call him

Grisby

Use your imagination. What could possibly
launch you up from where the ladder is
?

I'm avoiding giving you the solution because that's one of the best puzzles in the game.
Yep. Got it. That was cool.

I must be tired or something, feels like I should have gotten that one.

edit-^^^^^^Thanks for the replies.

1. Like 1GB
2. Yes, framerate is bad on base PS4.

20-30fps, but never really hits 30.

I just started it today on a 1080p display (after installing patch) on the Pro and honestly this is how it feels in my experience. Sorta shocked after reports of a "consistent locked 30 FPS."

dreamfall

Oh man, how many FEELS.

I just finished it, what a game. Thank God for Ueda and his team, I'm so grateful the game came out and we get to play it. It was everything. Some of these puzzles were just fun, and the platforming really brought a sense of danger and exploration back, and Trico was so lovely- GAH.

Game of the year for me. I just can't wait to play it again - it's going to stick with me for a long time. I can understand some of the technical woes, but I definitely played it start to finish on a regular PS4 and even with the massive framerate drops, I can rest happy. I can't believe the game came out and was so good. Bravo, to this team - what a feeling of adventure, and what a bond.

Patience is necessary with the game, there were many moments of wondering what Trico was doing and trying to coax the creature into going where I thought we were headed. The set pieces were pretty jaw dropping, goodness I'm just floored.

Great game.

chidrock

Question for you guys: I got my collectors edition in from Amazon, and the slipcover has a slight tear and looks beat up while the actual game box seems to be okay. Should I even bother trying to get a replacement or is the slipcover just one of those things that's going to be beat up based on the material that they used?

I also thought about trying to order it from Best Buy with shipping or in-store pickup, but I've had similar experiences with them too and am thinking it's just going to happen again.

Aenima

Also finished the game today.

Im a huge fan of Ueda games. Loved Ico and Shadow of the Colossus back on my PS2 and one of the main reason I bought a PS3 was to play whatever Ueda next tittle would be. It never happened on PS3 and after all these years there was some doubt about if Ueda could pull another Masterpiece or not.

My hype after all these years droped to "interessed enough to buy it day 1" insted of a "Must buy whatever console this game is on" like it was when announced.

After finishing the game today, i have to say Ueda is someone really special, capable of doing really amazing and unique games, and The Last Guardian ended up being another Masterpiece. Amazing level design, imaginative puzzle solving and enviroment exploration. The creature "Trico" is the most beliavable A.I. animal created i ever saw in a video game, the animations are just amazing, with the creature always carefully moving in tight spots without cliping against the scenario, its all so elegant and beliavable. Even the simplistic story is great and full of emotions, ending up telling you more with a few words than many big games manage to do with hours of text and cut scenes.

Pure magic.

jonjonaug

Yep. Got it. That was cool.

I must be tired or something, feels like I should have gotten that one.

edit-^^^^^^Thanks for the replies.

That one took me like fifteen minutes to figure out but I'm really glad I didn't use a guide for that one like I did for about 3 or 4 other puzzles because it ended up being my favorite "aha" moment of the whole game.

Generate

Banned
So far I am about 3 hours in and most of that time I wished I was playing something else. Man, the controls have the worst input lag since Killzone 2 and a terrible framerate to boot, making the game almost uncontrollable at times. And on top of that Trico is so incredibly random and moody that despite me repeatedly telling him to jump he never did, until about 10 minutes later when the game told me to do the jump command only then did he actually jump.

Compared to the previous games it's pretty meh so far. In Ico you can control Yorda and yourself with precision at all times and in SotC Agro has very good pathfinding AI and when you are off the saddle he is always nearby and is self-sufficient. I don't expect the framerate or the controls to fix themselves as I play so I hope there won't be any time sensitive jumps or chaotic situations because I have no idea how I would be able to pull anything of the sorts under these conditions.

As someone who sucks at videogames, I have been able to accomplish everything with not much frustration. Once you get used to Trico's temperaments and the boys animation it really isnt a difficult feat.

Phloxy

Super excited to play this with my buddy. We played through SOTC over the course of 2 days in an epic marathon. Sadly we are too busy with work and family to play in the same house, so we tried using webcams and recording it. https://youtu.be/Vzhn9hYIG98
Enjoy me being very bad at videogames lol. Love this game so far, the animation work on Trico is something else.

NAPK1NS

Woosh. Whadda' game. Can someone tell me how far along I am?

I just did the
arena fight with the two glass shield enemies.

Hey guys I asked this a few days ago without response but maybe now many have played the game I can get an answer (UK here, can't play until tomorrow :/).

How is the soundtrack? Does it stack up to Ico/SOTC? Is there much music? For me the soundtracks are a big part of these games.

hollomat

Banned
About 30% of the way in. Not enjoying it at all and I loved Ico and Shadow. 95% of the game seems to be I know where to go, its just a matter of getting Trico near me so I can climb him and jump. If it wasn't for that the game would probably be over in 2 hours.

For anyone on the fence, I'd recommend watching a let's play instead of buying. You'll save yourself time and money.

About 30% of the way in. Not enjoying it at all and I loved Ico and Shadow. 95% of the game seems to be I know where to go, its just a matter of getting Trico near me so I can climb him and jump. If it wasn't for that the game would probably be over in 2 hours.

For anyone on the fence, I'd recommend watching a let's play instead of buying. You'll save yourself time and money.
You say that like it's a flaw whereas it's part of the puzzle as well. Like it's literally the core of the game: working and traveling with Trico, together

silva1991

Hey guys I asked this a few days ago without response but maybe now many have played the game I can get an answer (UK here, can't play until tomorrow :/).

How is the soundtrack? Does it stack up to Ico/SOTC? Is there much music? For me the soundtracks are a big part of these games.

I like it more than ICO's, but I don't think it's half as good as SotC's

hollomat

Banned
You say that like it's a flaw whereas it's part of the puzzle as well. Like it's literally the core of the game: working and traveling with Trico, together

I agree. I'm sure for some that's absolutely part of the charm. Unfortunately as much as I want to enjoy this game, it's not the case for me. And I absolutely loved the little bits like that in Ico and Shadow. It's just frustrating being pretty sure of where you have to go, but not entirely sure because Trico just won't cooperate.

Okay so, i'm pretty far into the game and ran into a puzzle that i can't seem to figure out. Was wondering if someone could just "nudge" me in the right direction.

WARNING ABOUT LATEGAME AREA AND STUFF BELOW
I've finally gotten access to the big white tower with a bunch of guards, got inside and i'm trying to get up the elevator, but there's something stopping the roof from so to say "moving" itself. Been running around here for a good while now without finding any clue about what i should do, i get the feeling it's something really easy i'm missing

The Lamp

Can someone please give me a hint about this late game section
i just dove with Trico underwater and reached the new area with the sunlit cliff but I have no clue what to do next. I dove under the gate but there's nothing there for me to climb

Super stuck early on...
just had Trico kill those suit of armors and had to pet him to calm em down.
No idea what to do next.

Okay so, i'm pretty far into the game and ran into a puzzle that i can't seem to figure out. Was wondering if someone could just "nudge" me in the right direction.

WARNING ABOUT LATEGAME AREA AND STUFF BELOW
I've finally gotten access to the big white tower with a bunch of guards, got inside and i'm trying to get up the elevator, but there's something stopping the roof from so to say "moving" itself. Been running around here for a good while now without finding any clue about what i should do, i get the feeling it's something really easy i'm missing

there is another room below that one, use trico's tail to reach it

MrHoot

Can someone please give me a hint about this late game section
i just dove with Trico underwater and reached the new area with the sunlit cliff but I have no clue what to do next. I dove under the gate but there's nothing there for me to climb

Subtle hint:

What happens when you put a big body of water in a bath

Also, I just finished the game...what a ride, a bittersweet one at that. I am so, so happy to finally have played and finished the last guardian. Still emotional by the end of all this.

I wanna give Mr Ueda a hug

Top Bottom