• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

L95

Super stuck early on...
just had Trico kill those suit of armors and had to pet him to calm em down.
No idea what to do next.

Ok. you need to
get onto the rafters in the second room. climb on trico in the first room, where the knights were, and then walk to the next room from up there and you can climb onto the rafters and then up a chain

hollomat

Banned
Another stupid question, obvious as it may be to same. Is the narrator speaking Japanese, or a made up language? If it's Japanese, is there any english dub (i'm the real monster)?

Ok. you need to
get onto the rafters in the second room. climb on trico in the first room, where the knights were, and then walk to the next room from up there and you can climb onto the rafters and then up a chain

I just figured it out and it was right under my nose lol. Thanks!

The Lamp

Subtle hint:

What happens when you put a big body of water in a bath

Also, I just finished the game...what a ride, a bittersweet one at that. I am so, so happy to finally have played and finished the last guardian. Still emotional by the end of all this.

I wanna give Mr Ueda a hug

Your hint just helped me solidify that this game has the best 3D level design I've seen in years.

VDenter

Banned
I am so tempted to buy this but the terrible frame rate on base PS4 is honestly a deal breaker considering this was supposed to be a PS3 game. I though at the bare minimum a locked 30fps at 1080p was a guarantee but apparently not. Hope a patch gets released. :(

silva1991

Subtle hint:

What happens when you put a big body of water in a bath

Also, I just finished the game...what a ride, a bittersweet one at that. I am so, so happy to finally have played and finished the last guardian. Still emotional by the end of all this.

I wanna give Mr Ueda a hug

I was under the impression you finished it before reviews thread O_O

That water puzzle is the best

cheesekao

I am so tempted to buy this but the terrible frame rate on base PS4 is honestly a deal breaker considering this was supposed to be a PS3 game. I though at the bare minimum a locked 30fps at 1080p was a guarantee but apparently not. Hope a patch gets released. :(
First of all, the graphics have improved since then and it's worthy of being called a current gen game and based on general impressions, it looks amazing. Secondly, the PS3 footage released were all sped up. Not excusing the performance but to say that it's a PS3 game is disingenuous.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Another stupid question, obvious as it may be to same. Is the narrator speaking Japanese, or a made up language? If it's Japanese, is there any english dub (i'm the real monster)?

These games always use a made up language.

MrHoot

I was under the impression you finished it before reviews thread O_O

That water puzzle is the best

Your hint just helped me solidify that this game has the best 3D level design I've seen in years.

Haha, no sorry. I was like middle/2-3rds but i couldn't play for a while due to work. Finished it tonight despite cutting seriously my sleep time =p

But that puzzle is good innit ? When I found out how to make it work, my mind went just "holy shit this is brilliant". There are so many puzzles like this in the game where everything is just...evident and organic. But since it's barely applied in games to this day, it manages to surprise

DieH@rd

Banned
Yesterday I played the Pro version of hte game for 4 hours. I am very very very very satisfied, great game! Trico is adorabe, puzzles are fun and visuals/atmosphere is very good.

I have adjusted to camera and movement quite easy [I increased camera sensitivity to ~90%].

DMONKUMA

So I wanted to ask since I don't plan to play the game but had a curious thought. How is the music? Is it fantastic? Good? Or just alright?

Fhtagn

I'm only about an hour in so far.

This game is beautiful and I'm into the pet sim aspect but I think the camera system is making me nauseated?

It's a little too close a lot of the time, I want to look at Trico and it's an effort.

Also, they really need a patch that makes it stop telling me the controls immediately. Let me fumble a bit first. Hopefully that eases up over time.

Really excited to keep playing this, but in no rush to finish. Going to play in short segments for now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This game is beautiful and I'm into the pet sim aspect but I think the camera system is making me nauseated?

It's a little too close a lot of the time, I want to look at Trico and it's an effort.

Also, they really need a patch that makes it stop telling me the controls immediately. Let me fumble a bit first. Hopefully that eases up over time.

Really excited to keep playing this, but in no rush to finish. Going to play in short segments for now.

L1 focuses the camera on Trico

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You can hit L1 to autofocus on Trico.

But I agree, the camera is pretty messy. I actually can't play the game in very large chunks of time due to the framerate and camera, it actually starts to hurt my eyes.

MrHoot

How's the performance on the base PS4?

It's alright really. Far from optimal, but also far from the "unplayable" that people are touting around I find. The camera is the bigger issue in any case, but the framerate in itself isn't criminal.

I'm more surprised by the performances on the pro tho, expected it to run easily at 4k but apparently not so. I wonder if we're gonna have an overall performance patch soonish at least

leng jai

It's alright really. Far from optimal, but also far from the "unplayable" that people are touting around I find. The camera is the bigger issue in any case, but the framerate in itself isn't criminal.

I'm more surprised by the performances on the pro tho, expected it to run easily at 4k but apparently not so. I wonder if we're gonna have an overall performance patch soonish at least

If it's struggling that much on the base PS4 how would it run easily run at 4K on the Pro? People seem to underestimate how much power is required to run something at that resolution.

im guessing I'm 80% of the way through the game....man...I think this is my game of the year so far. It's not like I'm in love with the gameplay or puzzles...camera flat out sucks at times....but this game just has that special something--it's a special type of story and presentation that you just don't see this well done often.

How far am I when
Trico just killed tons of guards while I opened the big doors for him. About 30 min after I start issuing commands?

And any idea how many hours I've played? I can't find a playtime counter

trixx

im guessing I'm 80% of the way through the game....man...I think this is my game of the year so far. It's not like I'm in love with the gameplay or puzzles...camera flat out sucks at times....but this game just has that special something--it's a special type of story and presentation that you just don't see this well done often.

watching friend play and sounds about right. Fantastic game, beautiful game. Camera issues and stuff hamper it. Game requires a bit of patience, thats one thing i'll say. But watching trico develop is great mannnn

my friend has ps4 pro so stable performance

The Lamp

Haha, no sorry. I was like middle/2-3rds but i couldn't play for a while due to work. Finished it tonight despite cutting seriously my sleep time =p

But that puzzle is good innit ? When I found out how to make it work, my mind went just "holy shit this is brilliant". There are so many puzzles like this in the game where everything is just...evident and organic. But since it's barely applied in games to this day, it manages to surprise

I hope naughty dog learns from this. This games puzzles make Uncharted's environmental puzzles feel juvenile and amateurish. Lol convenient crates!

Around 10 minutes in you will realise this in no way looks like a PS3 game, not even the slightest.

VDenter

Banned
First of all, the graphics have improved since then and it's worthy of being called a current gen game and based on general impressions, it looks amazing. Secondly, the PS3 footage released were all sped up. Not excusing the performance but to say that it's a PS3 game is disingenuous.

Improved sure. However comparing this game to some other first party games on PS4 even third party games it should be able to hit 30fps easily. having a locked framerate is not an unreasonable request to have on all PS4 models. Especially for a game that frankly does not seem to push any graphical boundaries.

nynt9

Very late game spoilers, I need help.

I'm stuck on top of the
tower.
- I'm there with Trico and I
disabled the fans.
There's a mini cutscene where the kid runs to the edge of
the tower
, then Trico approaches... and nothing. Am I missing something here? I looked all around the area and there's a
weird statue thing
but it doesn't do anything.

Edit: I restarted from the checkpoint like 4 times and it worked without me doing anything else... weird.

epmode

The camera is miserable, GAF. It wouldn't be so bad if so much of the game wasn't in smallish enclosed areas.

I had virtually no problems with the technical shortcomings of SOTC but I think TLG's camera is getting to me.

The Lamp

The camera is miserable, GAF. It wouldn't be so bad if so much of the game wasn't in smallish enclosed areas.

I had virtually no problems with the technical shortcomings of SOTC but I think TLG's camera is getting to me.

Try adjusting the camera speed and use L1 whenever you need to watch Trico.

Donthizz#

Very late game spoilers, I need help.

I'm stuck on top of the
tower.
- I'm there with Trico and I
disabled the fans.
There's a mini cutscene where the kid runs to the edge of
the tower
, then Trico approaches... and nothing. Am I missing something here? I looked all around the area and there's a
weird statue thing
but it doesn't do anything.

Edit: I restarted from the checkpoint like 4 times and it worked without me doing anything else... weird.

weird indeed. cutscene should continue.

epmode

I'm almost 100% sure it is the way it is due to the framerate on base PS4.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm on a Pro and the camera is still terrible.

I mean, you're often in narrow areas which require you to climb on Trico to progress. The camera makes it a lot more annoying than it should.

But the thing that really kills me is the combat. Unless I missed a mechanic, I can't fight the armor so I try to climb on Trico as fast as possible. Literally every time this has happened (I'm only a few hours in), the camera flipped out as Trico pounced on everything in range, with my guy flailing in the foreground. I've only seen a few unobstructed shots of Trico mangling an armor set.

edit: Oh, and there was the one time that Trico decided to fixate on some blue jar when he was meant to go to the next room (I had already cleared the puzzle and I was no longer able to do anything with the jar).I tried *everything*. Reloading the checkpoint fixed it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The weird thing with the camera is when it does an odd fade to black every so often. Early on I thought I was going into a cutscene but it seems like when the camera just has no idea what to do it fades out and resets.

epmode

The weird thing with the camera is when it does an odd fade to black every so often. Early on I thought I was going into a cutscene but it seems like when the camera just has no idea what to do it fades out and resets.

Yep, it does that when it gets too close to you. Like when it's pinned between you and a wall. It happens a *lot* in those combat scenes I mentioned.

I want to love this game, GAF. Aesthetically, it's perfect and oh god Trico is great.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm on a Pro and the camera is still terrible.

I mean that when the framerate is low, for example during a set-piece on a base PS4, the fact that the camera pans in slowly helps the player deal with the framerate. It would feel much worse if the game camera was like in most games where it just snaps quickly to place. Now, if the game was 30fps on all platforms, the camera wouldn't make much sense beyond helping to focus on Trico.

But yes, it does also have issues indoors.

Nor did i say it looks like a PS3 game. But there are far better looking games on PS4 that managed not only to hit 30fps but 60fps.
Thing is there are times in TLG where it looks like it's a contender for one of the most beautiful games ever.

Plus I would blame the CPU for this one. The AI for Trico himself and the physics system of his feathers alone is wonderfully complex.

epmode

I mean that when the framerate is low, for example during a set-piece on a base PS4, the fact that the camera pans in slowly helps the player deal with the framerate. It would feel much worse if the came was like most cameras where it just snaps quickly to place. Now, if the game was 30fps on all platforms, the camera wouldn't make much sense beyond helping to focus on Trico.

That makes sense but I remember similar camera movements in Ico and SOTC. I figure the slow pans are part of Ueda's style. It seems to mesh better with the first two games though.

cheesekao

Improved sure. However comparing this game to some other first party games on PS4 even third party games it should be able to hit 30fps easily. having a locked framerate is not an unreasonable request to have on all PS4 models. Especially for a game that frankly does not seem to push any graphical boundaries.
Having reading through this thread, many would disagree with you.

Donthizz#

never ran into these camera problems people are talking about. couple of times screen went black when I was on trico's back in tight corridors, that's about it. guess I got lucky.

BeeDog

Came a little bit further yesterday, to the area where (early, but big spoiler)
you see the other Trico perched up on a beam in the distance.

So far the game is pretty damn good. The camera is too problematic and slow, especially in tight quarters where it tends to spazz out if Trico comes blocking, but other than that I'm still sold. What has surprised me so far is the variation in the events even this early in the game; if it keeps up, this will be a game for the ages.

The Lamp

I got a Pro tonight and it just makes the game that much better. I can't believe I'm not at the end yet. I've feel like I've gone through so much and I still got a way to go. I adore this game. So much. Thank you, Ueda, for making games like this happen. Never has gameplay told a story like this before, all in real-time!

I'm getting some really strong color banding, especially around water and dark areas. Is anyone else seeing this? (I'm on a PS4 Pro, 4K TV).

nOOrR0j.jpg

4Blha59.jpg

(Sorry for the phone images, still learning how to use the PS4)

Top Bottom