• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So far I am about 3 hours in and most of that time I wished I was playing something else. Man, the controls have the worst input lag since Killzone 2 and a terrible framerate to boot, making the game almost uncontrollable at times. And on top of that Trico is so incredibly random and moody that despite me repeatedly telling him to jump he never did, until about 10 minutes later when the game told me to do the jump command only then did he actually jump.

Compared to the previous games it's pretty meh so far. In Ico you can control Yorda and yourself with precision at all times and in SotC Agro has very good pathfinding AI and when you are off the saddle he is always nearby and is self-sufficient. I don't expect the framerate or the controls to fix themselves as I play so I hope there won't be any time sensitive jumps or chaotic situations because I have no idea how I would be able to pull anything of the sorts under these conditions.

Turn the camera sensitivity up to near max or max and remember this is a game driven by a physics system. Animation is priority over your controls. That said for both the controls and the camera its better to take the soft touch with things, don't jam the stick around because it tends to gain momentum when you do and will keep moving even after you let off the stick. I find small and light taps often work better in making proper adjustments.

On top of that remember you are dealing with an AI creature that mimics a dog/cat. Even when Trico is following your commands it can take well over ten seconds for it to actually take them. For example to get a jump going it has to reposition itself in many cases, shift its body weight around and tense up for the jump and will often call out right before it does jump. If you have ever seen a cat readying itself to leap onto something high above it, its not an instant thing and the cat will often make sure its ready before taking the leap.

On controlling Trico, its much less willing to listen to you in the beginning. Remember to feed it as much as possible, to remove spears and pet it, a lot and in different spots. Not only that but Trico will respond to commands but if you start spamming commands and worse, different commands, it will often get confused or do nothing at all and make confused/annoyed noises. One command is often enough.

mcz117chief

Turn the camera sensitivity up to near max or max and remember this is a game driven by a physics system. Animation is priority over your controls. That said for both the controls and the camera its better to take the soft touch with things, don't jam the stick around because it tends to gain momentum when you do and will keep moving even after you let off the stick. I find small and light taps often work better in making proper adjustments.

On top of that remember you are dealing with an AI creature that mimics a dog/cat. Even when Trico is following your commands it can take well over ten seconds for it to actually take them. For example to get a jump going it has to reposition itself in many cases, shift its body weight around and tense up for the jump and will often call out right before it does jump. If you have ever seen a cat readying itself to leap onto something high above it, its not an instant thing and the cat will often make sure its ready before taking the leap.

On controlling Trico, its much less willing to listen to you in the beginning. Remember to feed it as much as possible, to remove spears and pet it, a lot and in different spots. Not only that but Trico will respond to commands but if you start spamming commands and worse, different commands, it will often get confused or do nothing at all and make confused/annoyed noises. One command is often enough.

Arrright, thanks. I was spamming jump in frustration that's for sure :D

And regarding controls I guess it works similarly to Prince of Persia, right? Animation before precision controls. I can work with that, if I can beat Prince of Persia 1 and 2 I can beat this.

zewone

And regarding controls I guess it works similarly to Prince of Persia, right? Animation before precision controls. I can work with that, if I can beat Prince of Persia 1 and 2 I can beat this.

Get used to being stuck at puzzles because Trico refuses to listen to your commands later in the game. It makes you second guess your solution even if you are correct.

HStallion

I'd actually compare it to the GTA in that everything in terms of your movement is generated by the physics engine. It can be a very loose system but its not as bad in this game where you aren't taking on tons of enemies at once from all directions or expected to make head shot after head shot or anything like that. It also results in some really hilarious fall animations.

Edit: Also there are some glitches and bugs that can cause issue with Trico. If the game really doesn't seem like its working or what not just restart it.

Just finished the game. Never been so emotionally affected by a game, or anything else, ending. Like we're talking full-body sobs. I'm a wreck. I'm off to the spoiler thread for emotional support. Prepare tissues, everyone.

Dave_6

Just finished the game. Never been so emotionally affected by a game, or anything else, ending. Like we're talking full-body sobs. I'm a wreck. I'm off to the spoiler thread for emotional support. Prepare tissues, everyone.

Ugh, I've got a feeling I'm going to be affected the same way. I've been re-watching the E3 2016 and the most recent PSX trailers, and between the music and a couple of scenes, even they get to me.

Not sure how far I am in the game (guessing not half way yet) but I'm trying to take my time and not rush through this gem.

Juraash

This sounds far more ominous than I'd like...

So I don't know if it was applying the day one patch or what, but since I did I have only had two more times where Trico was either not responding or being very slow to react, and neither of those two instances were anywhere near as outrageous or frustrating as the ones I'd had before.

I've also not had a single other bug where Trico would freeze up and become motionless, or that required a checkpoint restart. He actually seems a lot more responsive than he was beforehand. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not.

I still have some major gripes with the game, but the experience has been consistently better since, and right now I'm at least enjoying it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This sounds far more ominous than I'd like...
Stick to it Juraash no matter what happens. It will be an emotional rollercoaster especially the last 1/3 of the game but keep marching on. Do not falter in your resolve, you both have already come so far. Believe in each other.
Man I'm tearing up just thinking about this damn game. Will start second playthrough tonight.

Chris R

How big is the day 1 patch? And could I beat this in a weekend? Looking to redbox it but not if it's too long or if the patch is yuge

zewone

How big is the day 1 patch? And could I beat this in a weekend? Looking to redbox it but not if it's too long or if the patch is yuge

Well, you could always skip the patch. It's not necessary to play. I don't even remember downloading one.

Game isn't that long. Could definitely beat in a weekend.

robotrock

Banned

The patch is not too big at all. Maybe less than 1gb? Full game install is like 13gbs anyways.

You can absolutely finish this in a weekend

The Lamp

Oh my fucking god.

That's a dealbreaker.

I cannot believe how petty some dealbreakers are for people. They're not as common later. You don't want to play this game because of a corner button prompt? It lacks 95% of the HUD other games have.

Adryuu

When I played patch 1.02 was fairly small (900mb? 300?) and the game itself should be played calmly, but top completion times I think are about 13-15h at most. Definitely can be done in 8-10. There's even a (speedrun) trophy for beating it under 5 hours. I finished under 14-15 in 3 (long) sessions and played fairly calm. Didn't get stuck really until quite later in the game.

Weiss

Banned
I cannot believe how petty some dealbreakers are for people. You don't want to play this game because of a corner button prompt? It lacks 95% of the HUD other games have.

Team ICO games are all about minimalism. Omnipresent button prompts and an ongoing narration from an old prat are two giant skewers into that.

Like the gameplay is already fucking perfect and Trico is incredible but holy shit.

zewone

HUD is beyond minimal. Most of the time there isn't a HUD.

Surprised it can't be turned off. I would imagine that option will come in a future patch.

The Lamp

Team ICO games are all about minimalism. Omnipresent button prompts and an ongoing narration from an old prat are two giant skewers into that.

Like the gameplay is already fucking perfect and Trico is incredible but holy shit.

Yeah and it's mostly a minimized experience with no HUD except for that issue. It's annoying at times but it's hardly a dealbreaker in the sense of worth skipping this game. It's a corner prompt that fades away.

Weiss

Banned
Yeah and it's mostly a minimized experience with no HUD except for that issue. It's annoying at times but it's hardly a dealbreaker in the sense of worth skipping this game. It's a corner prompt that fades away.

It's a massive ass prompt that tells me how to fucking jump.

I get it, you're not allowed to criticize a game you've been waiting this long for, but this is some bullshit.

robotrock

Banned

Here's a game from Team ICO that does a couple of different things than what you think a game from Team ICO is supposed to do

Adryuu

I get it, you're not allowed to criticize a game you've been waiting this long for, but this is some bullshit.

It won't tell you how to jump in every jump situation. It's just on mostly new situations. Although sometimes it gets repetitive with the prompts but it's totally enjoyable even then.

The fucking prompt could be smaller, for sure, but come the fuck on, man. Play this gem.

HStallion

I'd say the good majority of the button prompts disappear after the first like 10 to 15 percent of the game. The only time they reappear is a stuff like pull out spears on Trico.

The Lamp

No, I'm just saying that a corner prompt for contextual button presses (that diminishes over time) being a "dealbreaker" seems petty.

L95

Ive been playing for a while now and I don't really get prompts any more. Very occasionally.

Perhaps I'm just not sensitive to frame rate drops but it doesn't feel so bad on an OG PS4.

Toward the end of the game it gets BAD unfortunately. I played on a PRO and even then I felt it was no longer a smooth experience toward the very end. So I feel for OG PS4 people when they get to those parts.

The last few hours do feel a bit less polished technicaly to me. But sometimes you just have to ship I guess.

Juraash

Stick to it Juraash no matter what happens. It will be an emotional rollercoaster especially the last 1/3 of the game but keep marching on. Do not falter in your resolve, you both have already come so far. Believe in each other.
Man I'm tearing up just thinking about this damn game. Will start second playthrough tonight.

I think I'm in the last third, so I'm in for a bit of a roller coaster tonight from the sound of it. I stopped at a part that seemed like it was going to be bad news
another cage like we got when Trico "eats" us and we had the flashback
. Your comments definitely helped me not have crazy anxiety about the the end lol. Hopefully I can see it through to the end tonight and really reflect on the experience as a whole.

I haaaaated the button prompts at first, but I think I then stopped noticing them, so I guess they must not have popped up as much. It took me ages to get some muscle memory for jump/triangle, too.

So I don't know if it was applying the day one patch or what, but since I did I have only had two more times where Trico was either not responding or being very slow to react, and neither of those two instances were anywhere near as outrageous or frustrating as the ones I'd had before.

I've also not had a single other bug where Trico would freeze up and become motionless, or that required a checkpoint restart. He actually seems a lot more responsive than he was beforehand. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not.

I still have some major gripes with the game, but the experience has been consistently better since, and right now I'm at least enjoying it.

There was a Canadian reviewer before the embargo lift talking about how the Day 1 patch very much improved Trico's behavior, so it could be a possibility? I'm glad you're having a better time with the game and Trico, your impressions from the other day sounded really frustrating to have to deal with. I was really worried I was going to have the same experience, but it's thankfully Trico has been pretty painless for the most part, and I've been using the Day 1 patch.

Rymuth

FINISHED!! Ten Outta Ten game!

Only had one glitch during my entire play through -
Trico's tail glitched out and refused to budge and drop down

Wooooowwww

Toward the end of the game it gets BAD unfortunately. I played on a PRO and even then I felt it was no longer a smooth experience toward the very end. So I feel for OG PS4 people when they get to those parts.

The last few hours do feel a bit less polished technicaly to me. But sometimes you just have to ship I guess.

Did you try restart the system?
Cause towards the end after the first
ice castle
mine died, but i restarted and it was back to playable.

FatalT

Banned
I enjoyed the interaction between the Boy and Trico but I'm trying to process how I feel about the entirety of the game's actual story being told in 2 cutscenes. I suppose it was more about the journey and bonding experience than the actual plot though.

Did you try restart the system?
Cause towards the end after the first
ice castle
mine died, but i restarted and it was back to playable.

It didn't bother me enough to think it was a bug. But it was just significantly worse then the majority of the game for sure. And I can just tell OG users will feel it more.

I still have my OG ps4 around. I think I will start my second playthrough on that one just so that I can have the complete Ueda experience.

Blinck

I'm at
the crumbling bridge from the game play trailers
, can anyone tell me how far into the game am I ?

Loving the game. Sometimes trico is a bit slow when giving orders (I wouldnt say unresppnsive, just slow at moving) but other than that and the performance mess, the game is amazing.

I've never seen anything like trico in any othet game. It's light years away from anything else in terms of AI, animation, scale, detail and player interaction. It's seriously insane.

Rymuth

I enjoyed the interaction between the Boy and Trico but I'm trying to process how I feel about the entirety of the game's actual story being told in 2 cutscenes. I suppose it was more about the journey and bonding experience than the actual plot though.
I felt completely the opposite way -
I felt this game had a lot more plot than Ueda's usual flair. Just from memory, I can recall several cutscenes (two flashbacks when Trico's swallows you, the ending and the post-credits flashfoward - that's a lot more than we got in either Ico or SotC)

I said in the other thread. Compared to Ico and SoTC, I though there was a suprise amount of plot and exposition. Easily the most you learn about the MC in any of these games.

Theres more explained plot here, the same way bloodborne has more explained plot.
Its not used as "the" storytelling device, but it does convey the themes, here the plot is pushing the
pardon
theme.

Top Bottom