• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Th Boy is adorable! Trico get all the love, everyone forget about the boy.
The boy is so very expressive. The way he falls and just barely catches himself when you reserve direction while running. The pained movements and reactions after a long fall. The endlessly cute petting. The different command animations. The little touches like how he holds the shield or struggles to clamber onto ledges or the occassional clumsy stumbles while running

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
95% of the time, Trico was helping me by looking at or interacting with the way forward, and such

I honestly can't recall a moment where Trico just sits and stares at you, waiting. Either he was walking around, scratching, looking around, or he was hinting at where to go be next through where it would look or body language or what it was interacting with

The amount of time I spent getting Trico to run along the bridge for momentum (even though we had already done that move a level below between the two towers) , and the time I spent getting him to dive underwater (both pools) says otherwise.

Besides, pointing at hints /staring at the way forward also breaks the illusion. He's not supposed to know, but he just zeroes in on them. Gamey AI shit.

Bottom line is that his janky behavior is more frustrating than amusing/impressive.

His baseline AI would have served the storytelling purpose if we could sideline the frustration via a more direct way of controlling him, like the bond with beasts in Avatar.

Definitely go 1080p for the better performance IMO. It's the bigger benefit between the two modes.

As for the patch, definitely apply it. The general idea is that it introduces some fixes that make bugs with Trico's AI less likely to occur.

Good to know. About to leave work in a hour or so will take the advice and go 1080. Hope the game delivers the way ico and sotc did.

ScOULaris

Good to know. About to leave work in a hour or so will take the advice and go 1080. Hope the game delivers the way ico and sotc did.

You're lucky enough to be able to play it at peak performance, so I definitely think it'll match ICO and SotC for you.

For me the only complaint I have is the performance on the standard PS4, so if that was stripped away (as it will be in your case on the Pro) I'd have almost no criticisms of this excellent game.

Played about and hour and a half so far. (OG PS4) And enjoying it. If you liked ico or shadow you'll be right at home here. I just ventured outside and the frame rate does hitch but I found it playable so far.

The animation of trico is sublime. Like nothing else I've seen so far in a game. Really is something. Gameplay and the commandment of trico is quite organic and I've yet to have any issues commanding him. It makes sense if you treat him/her as an animal so to speak.

One thing I think the game needs majorly is a walk animation. You got tiptoeing and running and I generally don't like running in games, prefer to walk and take everything in. Camera is a bit stiff at times.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The amount of time I spent getting Trico to run along the bridge for momentum (even though we had already done that move a level below between the two towers) , and the time I spent getting him to dive underwater (both pools) says otherwise.

Besides, pointing at hints /staring at the way forward also breaks the illusion. He's not supposed to know, but he just zeroes in on them. Gamey AI shit.

Bottom line is that his janky behavior is more frustrating than amusing/impressive.

His baseline AI would have served the storytelling purpose if we could sideline the frustration via a more direct way of controlling him, like the bond with beasts in Avatar.

I don't know what to tell you, I had none of these issues through out the game. Also when Trico is looking at things its often because there is something there to interest it, whether its an edible barrel, or a chain he wants to play with or what not. You think his behavior is annoying and frustrating and I love it. Then again I love how animals behave even if it isn't doing what I say so that may be the difference. It seems you want a frankly different game than the developers gave us. This isn't a creature you control like its a car or vehicle and that's the entire point.

What? All you have to do is stand in the far tower and tell him to come to you. And sometimes not even that, just tell him to jump and Trico backs up down the bridge to the rightt spot

That's at least how it happened for me

The pools though, I agree. Those were the most frustrating part of the game. I could get Trico dive just fine; in fact he dove down each time I commanded him too. It was me grabbing onto him and diving together that was annoying

Mik2121

Loving this game so much.

I'm currently (spoilers probably second half of the game I'd assume)
after getting closed on the "elevator" thing trying to escape the bad bird, then Trico arrives and I got out of the elevator and got him some barrel
. I wonder if this is about the last quarter of the game. Some simple yes/no to get an idea of how far I'm in the game would be neat!

MrHoot

What? All you have to do is stand in the far tower and tell him to come to you. And sometimes not even that, just tell him to jump and Trico backs up down the bridge to the rightt spot

The pools though, I agree. Those were the most frustrating part of the game. I could get Trico dive just fine; in fact he dove down each time I commanded him too. It was me grabbing onto him and diving together that was annoying

Really ?

All i did was being on him, told him to go (R1 + move) and my character just latched as i was on him

Ya'll don't have my SPECIAL BOND

Alucrid

Banned

water is easy. go near the opening you want him to dive into, swim down, latch onto him when he starts swimming under

I didn't have this issue.

Spoilers for the moment Rapier is referring to with momentum:

After raising the second drawbridge to complete the link between the two towers and the boy says "Can you fly there?" all I did was hop on him and do the point command toward the white tower. Trico looked at the tower and backed down the length of the bridge in preparation to fly.

Spoilers for the moment Rapier is referring to with diving:

Be in the water. Call him to you. Trico jumps in. After you raise the gate, if you dive he will dive too. This happened for me without fail. I only issue I had was with my positioning when diving. You need to dive when you are directly next to Trico as he isn't looking to grab you when he descends into the water. You need to grab Trico.

I don't understand the issue here. This is Trico's home. He knows the way around somewhat.

Proven by (mid-game spoiler):
His ability to find you after you lost your grip on him after the second dive.

I couldn't disagree more here. His behavior is shockingly realistic for an AI companion. I've yet to see one come close to this before in a video game.

At that point, he isn't a companion, he's your slave.

hughesta

Banned
Yeah I just dove when we were in were water (didn't even have to command him to do anything) and I'd swim under, grab his foot, and he'd go

Mupod

every time Trico jams his head in a hole he can't fit through and stares wistfully at me, I have to go up and pet him on the nose. This game is going to take me a long time to finish, isn't it.

w0s

every time Trico jams his head in a hole he can't fit through and stares wistfully at me, I have to go up and pet him on the nose. This game is going to take me a long time to finish, isn't it.

You don't run and shove it out?

I agree though the amount of time I spend just hanging out with him has been endearing. I actually like that he doesn't respond perfectly like a robot. Language barrier/animal barrier but getting it done in the end feels so rewarding.

The funny thing is, a lot of people are anticipating this to be a short 6 hour game. Turns out that this game is one, if not the densest single player experience as of yet.

w0s

I never tried that... Would have made that section a bit easier for sure.

I danced on his head a little bit pointing forward. The hardest part was if he wasn't in the right place he wouldn't go through the door. That said the second time I did it one two three.

You're lucky enough to be able to play it at peak performance, so I definitely think it'll match ICO and SotC for you.

For me the only complaint I have is the performance on the standard PS4, so if that was stripped away (as it will be in your case on the Pro) I'd have almost no criticisms of this excellent game.

Yeah standard ps4 performance was disappointing to hear but glad the pro purchase has made its first noticeable benefit. Guess my hope turned out well for ueda games to form the best gaming trilogy as none of the games have been bad.

Auctopus

Just unlocked Trico commands and I think I preferred it when Trico figured out what to do by himself rather than me spamming "get on your hind legs" 20 times.

HStallion

Just unlocked Trico commands and I think I preferred it when Trico figured out what to do by himself rather than me spamming "get on your hind legs" 20 times.

Don't spam them. That is usually counter productive for getting Trico to do what you want.

Don't spam. Stand near, get Trico's attention, issue the command once or twice. Or stand on the small of his back between the wings, wait for him to turn his head to study you, and issue the command.

watdaeff4

Just got done with
the section with the collapsing rafters/bridge.
My gawd, that was one of the best sequences in gaming I've ever experienced. The music during that sequence was also perfect with it.

As someone who would credit Ueda as much as Lou Reed in my total approach to writing music, sitting in this game till Christmas is killing me. I don't think I'm gonna make it, but I must persevere !

HStallion

Another glowing review from the Washington Post. No numbers but the author absolutely loved the game and calls it a masterpiece.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/12/09/fumito-uedas-the-last-guardian-is-a-gaming-masterpiece/?utm_term=.bfadf6988fc7

“The Last Guardian” is all about a collection of small and large gestures that expand, enrich, and end a relationship. Although I experienced some camera-angle issues during my playthrough — it was easily lost in Trico’s plumage — I’d like nothing more than to experience the game again. I’m left wondering, as I often do after encountering a great work of art, how it all came together.

Withnail

I feel like I have a pretty good handle on getting Trico to do what I want, definitely not spamming commands but just being patient. I'm fine with that. But I'm finding the boy controls are really frustrating. Probably six hours in now and I still don't know a reliable way to get him to jump off a chain in a chosen direction. And when you need to show button prompts hours into the game you should know something is wrong.

It's a shame because so many aspects are absolutely amazing. The engineering work that must have gone into realistically moving and animating a large creature in very confined spaces is mindblowing. It feels at least a generation ahead of its time even now, no wonder they couldn't get it working on PS3.

HStallion

I feel like I have a pretty good handle on getting Trico to do what I want, definitely not spamming commands but just being patient. I'm fine with that. But I'm finding the boy controls are really frustrating. Probably six hours in now and I still don't know a reliable way to get him to jump off a chain in a chosen direction. And when you need to show button prompts hours into the game you should know something is wrong.

It's a shame because so many aspects are absolutely amazing. The engineering work that must have gone into realistically moving and animating a large creature in very confined spaces is mindblowing. It feels at least a generation ahead of its time even now, no wonder they couldn't get it working on PS3.

Jumping from the chain is partially dependent on the camera angle.

Bebpo

Banned
I do think that there is a masterpiece in here somewhere.. but some of the design decisions are baffling. Why is there only 2 states for movement? Either Tippy-toe or balls out sprint? The spaces that the player has to traverse require a fast walk or jog in my opinion. I'd also like to have seen a few different commands for Trico while the player is on the ground, and not just while riding Trico. Calling Trico is nice, but why not a command that gets Trico to grab the player and toss him straight onto the beasts head? Little touches like this would alleviate some of the small frustrations. And I think it's the small frustrations that build up and snowball over time for some players.

Yeah, another weird thing to add to the list. The tippy toe movement for walking makes you think there will be a good amount of sneaking gameplay situations where you have to sneak past armors not to activate them or sneak around Trico not catching his attention, but I can only remember one room with the spinning spotlights that was like that. So the whole tip toeing animation being the default walk was kinda odd.

Dreez

Dayum just played through the trailer section. Ueda is a master of suspense... not even sure if Uncharted 4 had you feeling the same stakes.

TV settings. Check your Gamma per 10pt grey scale.

However, the gamma the game puts out it wrong too. Just like in MGS5. It is definitely not Gamma 2.2. Which might screw up your image.

I tried fiddling with the 2-point and 10-point white space controls, but to no avail. To be clear, there are moments of the game that look great with no issues, but the color banding issues seem to only pop up in very dark places, or when I'm looking at water.

Auctopus

I'm at the bit with the
pot on the chain that Trico has to play with to open the gate, I've gotten to the other side and rolled the big gear over to put under the gate but now Trico just stares at me from the other side even when I command him to go over to the pot.

Please tell me I'm doing this wrong because it's torture.

HStallion

I tried fiddling with the 2-point and 10-point white space controls, but to no avail. To be clear, there are moments of the game that look great with no issues, but the color banding issues seem to only pop up in very dark places, or when I'm looking at water.

Sounds like a similar issue to what people experiencing in The Witness while using HDR.

krae_man

Game finally arrived yesterday for me and I started playing.

Loving the interactions so far.

What you don't like water? Too bad, swim for it!
:lol

If you played POP: Sands of Time, the systems is exactly the same. Treat your analog stick like a d pad and move to the left or right depending on the angle to see and the boy will stretch his hand indicating the direction you will jump.

I'm at the bit with the
pot on the chain that Trico has to play with to open the gate, I've gotten to the other side and rolled the big gear over to put under the gate but now Trico just stares at me from the other side even when I command him to go over to the pot.

Let it play the pot for awhile (he's interested) and sooner or later he'll start opening the gate. Patience is the key here and treat him like you would a real animal and not one with a proverbial leash.

Guymelef

Loving this game so much.

I'm currently (spoilers probably second half of the game I'd assume)
after getting closed on the "elevator" thing trying to escape the bad bird, then Trico arrives and I got out of the elevator and got him some barrel
. I wonder if this is about the last quarter of the game. Some simple yes/no to get an idea of how far I'm in the game would be neat!

Yes.

I'm at the bit with the

I never had to tell him to go to the pot, he was drawn to it himself. I just had to make sure to be in position to push the gear in place when he raised it up.

The second pool was my only issue he would dive but get stuck at the hole and resurface

Top Bottom