• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

kaiiri

So been reading up a little more on this game as I'm finishing Final Fantasy XV, and if you have a Pro the best way to play it is lowering the max resolution to 1080p before booting up the game so it looks it to bear 30fps?

I do have a 4KTV but would prefer a smoother gameplay if it's available.

Guymelef

So been reading up a little more on this game as I'm finishing Final Fantasy XV, and if you have a Pro the best way to play it is lowering the max resolution to 1080p before booting up the game so it looks it to bear 30fps?

Yep.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

1080p it is.

BraXzy

My copy has arrived! Putting the disc in now, cannot wait to start this!

The steelbook is a bit disappointing though, I was expecting a solid white metal steelbook but it's a light grey with cheap shiny effects around the imagery. Ohh well!

Conezays

About 1-2 hours in. Enjoying it so far but some of the framerate concerns are valid. I've definitely had some severe drops in certain areas making the game quite cumbersome to move around and enjoy. Regardless, as a fan of Ueda's past games there's still lots to like here.

Just finished the game.

A couple takeaways.
There were times when Trico would literally not obey my commands. I'd have to exit the area with him, bring him back to the spot, and then issue the command again. It would get kind of tiring especially when the sequence takes place on a narrow bridge.. it's kind of hazardous and adds unneeded tension.
Also, navigating corridors with Trico would get pretty messy. The camera would flip out and all I could see was feathers and the inside of Trico's model lol.
There is a lot of nuisances in terms of communication with the beast and other mechanical things, which I'm guessing (I haven't read anything about the game) is why some critics scored it low.

But when the game reaches high points it really nails it, and suddenly I forget about the hassles the game presents, and I'm just enjoying the moment. Not many games can do that for me. I was so enchanted by the relationship between these two figures from different worlds that it was easy to fall in love with them from the start. Any time either of them got hurt in anyways even stumbled at some points, my heart would drop for a moment.
Id love watching the light reflect off of Trico's feathers every time he stepped outside. The little things in this game really shined.

The combination of environments, the relationship between man and beast, the story and the journey made me love this game.
9/10

About 1-2 hours in. Enjoying it so far but some of the framerate concerns are valid. I've definitely had some severe drops in certain areas making the game quite cumbersome to move around and enjoy. Regardless, as a fan of Ueda's past games there's still lots to like here.
On a standard ps4 and no crazy framerate issues in my entire playthrough. A little stutter here and there in the heavy foliage areas but nothing in gameplay heavy segments

Sami+

Is there any way to check my progress/playtime? I'm not good at keeping track in my head and am curious lol.
I'm trapped in a cage right now, having just escaped the second beast. Trico found me and I stopped there.
I've been living it and lost track of time haha.

My biggest frustration is definitely with the camera. The controls can irk me a bit but overall I actually like the loose feeling of them. Reminds me of old SEGA stuff. I feel like the experience would be so much better if you could just pull the camera back a bit - both the boy and Trico are very visually distinct so the camera really doesn't need to be so close to keep them visible imo.

Juraash

On a standard ps4 and no crazy framerate issues in my entire playthrough. A little stutter here and there in the heavy foliage areas but nothing in gameplay heavy segments

This was my experience as well. I finished last night and didn't have any major framerate issues. I'm glad I didn't wait or rush out and buy a Pro for this game specifically. Still probably going to get one, but my experience was not diminished by any technical issues.

Feeroper

As someone who would credit Ueda as much as Lou Reed in my total approach to writing music, sitting in this game till Christmas is killing me. I don't think I'm gonna make it, but I must persevere !

I am also holding this one off as an Xmas gift. I really like to ask for a special game for Xmas and this year it was between thus and FFXV. As a friend of mine was also going to be playing FFXV and wanted to play at the same time as me, I chose to hold TLG off until Xmas, but its tough as I loved the last Team Ico games and of course the rocky road to release this game has had makes it feel special too (although the same can be said for FFXV).

Either way, cant wait to actually get my hands on this one!

Kazooie

Banned
Please can someone help me before I put my fist through the TV.

RIGHT AT THE START OF THE GAME AFTER GIVING TRICO HIS FOOD WHY CAN'T I CRAWL THROUGH THE SMOKEY HOLE? IT KEEPS INVISIBLE WALL BOUNCING ME AWAY AND IT IS SO FRUSTRATING ARRRGGGHHH

Please can someone help me before I put my fist through the TV.

RIGHT AT THE START OF THE GAME AFTER GIVING TRICO HIS FOOD WHY CAN'T I CRAWL THROUGH THE SMOKEY HOLE? IT KEEPS INVISIBLE WALL BOUNCING ME AWAY AND IT IS SO FRUSTRATING ARRRGGGHHH

So there is 3 phases to the start sequence IIRC. Feeding and two spears to remove, each of which knocks you out. Did you do all 3 of those?

Kazooie

Banned
So there is 3 phases to the start sequence IIRC. Feeding and two spears to remove, each of which knocks you out. Did you do all 3 of those?
Yes I have done all of that, got in to the next side room, climbed on Trico, jumped on both ledges to get the 2 extra food barrels and now to progress in have to crawl through this hole, I have looked online. you should be able to crawl through this hole. What the fuck is going on with this hole.

Muffdraul

Finally got my yesterday copy, played it for a bit last night. So good to finally play a new Team Ico game. But then I got stuck relatively early and turned it off for the night because I was getting tired anyway. I don't want a hint or anything, I want to figure it out myself when I get back to it after work, just curious if this is a common place to get stuck:

Trico refuses to move forward, which would mean him jumping down onto a large circular platform with a huge glowy blue cage over it. (Hard to blame him for not wanting to put himself under that. =P) Right below the ledge he's standing on is what looks like a small model of the cage with some kind of of glowy blue device inside it.

HStallion

Yes I have done all of that, got in to the next side room, climbed on Trico, jumped on both ledges to get the 2 extra food barrels and now to progress in have to crawl through this hole, I have looked online. you should be able to crawl through this hole. What the fuck is going on with this hole.

Might be a bug of some sort. Restart your PS4

Kazooie

Banned
A4Pn8slh.jpg

Fucking bollocks spent an hour trying to circumvent this.

No checkpoint it's making me start from the beginning. Waited over 10 years for this game. Seriously not impressed at all.

Yeah, I don't know that's really weird. I didn't have that problem. As another user said, try restarting the game.

Nameless

This is by far one of the most beautiful, heartfelt, charming games I've played in quite some time, maybe ever. I'm in awe so far.

Also not sure if it's nostalgia from playing Ueda games this time of year, or that child-like sense of wonder and adventure TLG evokes in spades, but it helped put me into to the 'Christmas Spirit' pretty heavily which I didn't anticipate.

Muffdraul

Camera deadzone is my biggest gripe. Beautiful game.

The camera really bugged me when I started, bumping the camera speed up to about 80% helped tremendously. Not inverting the mirror aim even if the Y axis is set to inverted is my only gripe now. I'm praying they patch that.

Mupod

The camera really bugged me when I started, bumping the camera speed up to about 80% helped tremendously. Not inverting the mirror aim even if the Y axis is set to inverted is my only gripe now. I'm praying they patch that.

that was bugging me too. I can live with it considering it's not like I'm doing fast paced aiming or whatever, but it would be an easy fix.

Also 100% camera speed helped me a lot.

Auctopus

Holy shit, the way Trico will retrace his steps through a jumping "puzzle" if you press Triangle wrong to the slightest degree is absolutely infuriating. Why is going backwards even an option? The game is completely linear.

terrible

Banned

It hurt my brain every time I used the mirror because of that. I aimed it at the ground by accident every single time I used it lol.

HStallion

Holy shit, the way Trico will retrace his steps through a jumping "puzzle" if you press Triangle wrong to the slightest degree is absolutely infuriating. Why is going backwards even an option? The game is completely linear.

In case you want to go back? I know I've returned to some past areas to grab a barrel I missed.

DieH@rd

Banned
I made a gif in Share Factory. Mah boy Trico, fucking shit up. :D
sharefactory_20161209tjxzg.gif

Also, WTF Team Ico?! I just got to the part where you introduced the very intricate and mega helpful gameplay mechanic for fully controlling Trico, and you managed to botch the tutorial for it!? I barely noticed what new gameplay options were given to me, and I would not be surprised that many other people missed it [even reviewers].

Conezays

On a standard here as well; maybe there are conditions that makes the framerate vary for users but I've definitely had sub-20fps in certain outside and heavy foliage areas.

Spoiler 2 hours in:

The first time Trico seems to see another creature in the distance that looks like him. In this segment the framerate just *completely* chugged as an example.

Again, still enjoying the game and a fan of Ueda's past work so it's not a deal-breaker for me.

that was bugging me too. I can live with it considering it's not like I'm doing fast paced aiming or whatever, but it would be an easy fix.

Also 100% camera speed helped me a lot.
I'm trying to take cinematic, slow panning camera shots and it's pretty hard to elegantly do lol.

Valonquar

On Pro in 1080p mode inside
the final tower with the icy mist
there were some very notable frame-rate drops. I bet OG PS4 really chokes there. Outside of that though, my non-elitist eyes were fine with frame-rate.

The camera definitely shits the bed when you're on Trico's back and he stops in the threshold of archways/doors.

In almost every instance where I couldn't get Trico to do what I wanted, getting off of his back and running a short distance away from him usually set him back on the correct path. The closest frustration moment was
the small water portion with the single cube you need to push under Trico's tail... the tail either took forever to drop or I just didn't see it for a while
. Took maybe 15 minutes there in confusion. Outside of that though, I was never stuck on anything for more than a few moments. It was nice to feel like the game was challenging, yet did not require me to get up and check online for a FAQ.

combat102

Banned
great game. im not sure what to think of the overall experience yet, but i was moved to tears twice during my play through. the scene where
trico thinks the boy is dead, and then goes crazy when he wakes up
and
when trico is severely wounded and u help him recover

This hole bullshit has got me too. It's the first thing I tried to do and I couldn't go through so I've spent the best part of an hour trying to get out of the cave in every other conceivable way. Do I have to start the game again?

This hole bullshit has got me too. It's the first thing I tried to do and I couldn't go through so I've spent the best part of an hour trying to get out of the cave in every other conceivable way. Do I have to start the game again?
That's weird. I've played that part twice across two playthroughs and never had an issue. Must be a bug

Auctopus

Please, God, anyone.

I've been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to make this thing
dive
what the fuck am I doing wrong?

HStallion

Please, God, anyone.

dive

Sit on its head, point to the water with the command buttons and that was all I needed. Trico jumped right in and that was about it.

Sami+

Also don't reply to this 'cause I don't wanna be spoiled but
is it just me or are the markings on the boy's skin sloooooowly stretching further and further over the course of the game... 🤔🤔🤔 Seems like it but SotC might've got me too wary of that sorta thing.

I made a gif in Share Factory. Mah boy Trico, fucking shit up. :D
sharefactory_20161209tjxzg.gif

Also, WTF Team Ico?! I just got to the part where you introduced the very intricate and mega helpful gameplay mechanic for fully controlling Trico, and you managed to botch the tutorial for it!? I barely noticed what new gameplay options were given to me, and I would not be surprised that many other people missed it [even reviewers].
How do you actually direct Trico? I haven't really figured it out so I took a break last night after I couldn't get him to do what I wanted.

Finally got my yesterday copy, played it for a bit last night. So good to finally play a new Team Ico game. But then I got stuck relatively early and turned it off for the night because I was getting tired anyway. I don't want a hint or anything, I want to figure it out myself when I get back to it after work, just curious if this is a common place to get stuck:

Trico refuses to move forward, which would mean him jumping down onto a large circular platform with a huge glowy blue cage over it. (Hard to blame him for not wanting to put himself under that. =P) Right below the ledge he's standing on is what looks like a small model of the cage with some kind of of glowy blue device inside it.

I was stuck there too, and the reason is actually really annoying. I would honestly recommend clicking one of the two spoilers below to avoid frustration, delay, looking online and finding out too much, all of which I did:

Hint:
You are not supposed to be trying to turn the cage off. Nor do you need to explore further.

Answer:
Call him down! I know right? FFS, not at all something I wanted to do.

Auctopus

Sit on its head, point to the water with the command buttons and that was all I needed. Trico jumped right in and that was about it.

I've hung off every part of him except his ballbag and tried every button in every direction with at least 30 seconds in between. He just roars.

I'm a patient man but this game has nearly given me an aneurism every 45 minutes.

Lady Gaia

Finally finished the game last night. The project scope is incredibly ambitious and largely successful. Unfortunately I'm not really happy with how aspects of it were handled in the late game.

For those who have finished:
leading the player to fall in love with this amazing creature only to subject Trico to one cruel injustice after another started to wear thin. In the end it started to demand some emotional detachment or it just gets deeply unpleasant. Unfortunately I get the impression both from narration and story treatment that this was intended to be a monster movie a twist rather than the story of companionship I thought they were telling. It went from being a candidate for one of my favorite games of all time to something I have deep misgivings about and I'm not sure I can replay. Powerful, yes, but so are a lot of things I don't enjoy.

Having seen much of what the game has to offer (though clearly not everything since I only got six trophies during my time) I do feel qualified to laugh at anyone who thinks this looks like a PS3 title. Yes, the artistic style is clearly Ueda's signature look from the PS2 era, and yes we did see footage intended to run on the PS3, but as many have pointed out even that was running at closer to seconds per frame than frames per second on the older hardware. As I worked my way through I kept finding impressive vistas and when the game decides to do some cinematic storytelling? Jaw dropping. I guess some of it could be pre-rendered but then there are gameplay moments that come close enough to make me wonder. Perhaps PS4 owners could weigh in on whether these scenes are smooth on the base console.

Lastly, the impact of HDR toward the end is simply stunning. I don't normally take screen shots in games but wanted to capture the moment to jog my memory, even though the captured images themselves don't reproduce the full range.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just finished my second playthrough.
The game is more than fair with controls and camera once you actually understand and get used to them. I had pretty much zero issues on my second playthrough and the experience felt so much more seamless cause I was much more familiar/comfortable with the controls and camera. Patience is also key. Non-patient players who need that instant satisfaction at every damn second will get wrecked and thank god for this. This game teaches you to calm the fuck down and actually observe and soak in the experience. The journey is greater than the destination, always & forever. The sooner the player understands this, the sooner the game will click. And my god, what a journey it is. :)

This game is fucking special. The level design needs to be studied and other devs must take notes. This game elevated the medium as a whole, I'm 100% convinced of this now. Will try to get get that last
outfit
soon. It might be my favorite Team ICO game tbh because of the bond these two share. And cause I LOVE animals.

Muffdraul

I was stuck there too, and the reason is actually really annoying. I would honestly recommend clicking one of the two spoilers below to avoid frustration, delay, looking online and finding out too much, all of which I did:

Hint:
You are not supposed to be trying to turn the cage off. Nor do you need to explore further.

Answer:
Call him down! I know right? FFS, not at all something I wanted to do.

Thanks, will keep this post nearby when I play tonight.

brau

Finally finished the game last night. The project scope is incredibly ambitious and largely successful. Unfortunately I'm not really happy with how aspects of it were handled in the late game.

leading the player to fall in love with this amazing creature only to subject Trico to one cruel injustice after another started to wear thin. In the end it started to demand some emotional detachment or it just gets deeply unpleasant. Unfortunately I get the impression both from narration and story treatment that this was intended to be a monster movie a twist rather than the story of companionship I thought they were telling. It went from being a candidate for one of my favorite games of all time to something I have deep misgivings about and I'm not sure I can replay. Powerful, yes, but so are a lot of things I don't enjoy.

Having seen much of what the game has to offer (though clearly not everything since I only got six trophies during my time) I do feel qualified to laugh at anyone who thinks this looks like a PS3 title. Yes, the artistic style is clearly Ueda's signature look from the PS2 era, and yes we did see footage intended to run on the PS3, but as many have pointed out even that was running at closer to seconds per frame than frames per second on the older hardware. As I worked my way through I kept finding impressive vistas and when the game decides to do some cinematic storytelling? Jaw dropping. I guess some of it could be pre-rendered but then there are gameplay moments that come close enough to make me wonder. Perhaps PS4 owners could weigh in on whether these scenes are smooth on the base console.

Lastly, the impact of HDR toward the end is simply stunning. I don't normally take screen shots in games but wanted to capture the moment to jog my memory, even though the captured images themselves don't reproduce the full range.

I really understand where you are coming from story wise.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you say its a monster movie. The overall world its based in to what happens, how it happens, the kids they steal to turn into barrels to feed them, and to create that life fog that is so alluring to them and power the soldiers is really dark. The hordes of Tricos controlled by a sentient being that was very alien like. I thought it was very macabre in its setting, but its the hardship that the kid and Trico have to face and one that i thought blended very well in its origin all the way through its conclusion. I was surprised, shocked and it was pretty tragic how it turned out at the end. But i don't think ti was the point to make it a buddy story where there is sacrifice.. i guess i just saw it more as endurance. Each endure something for each other as the story progresses. The more i think about it the more i think there is lots of rich aspects to the game on how its setup, how its presented and how it develops so i sure look forward to replaying this every year just like i replay Ico and SotC.

Totally agree on the look of the game too tho. Lots of interesting details in the environments, as well as the lighting, the space and the overall composition of things. Not to mention the animations, which i think alone make the experience worth while. This game must have one of the best climbing a ladder animations i have ever seen haha. Trico is just a great to look at. From its feelings, concerns, anxiousness, delight, tired, hungry, the simple reactions and looking at the env and the player is just so unique. Biggest take away is that this game managed to create an organic companion that i have never seen in a game. Really cool stuff.

I'll also emphasize your last point and advocate that HDR is really a very nice addition to games. Even before the end of the game a lot of the interiors and change in lighting looked very cool with that extra kick of color range.

Some of my thoughts i expressed on Twitter.

Just finished my second playthrough.
The game is more than fair with controls and camera once you actually understand and get used to them. I had pretty much zero issues on my second playthrough and the experience felt so much more seamless cause I was much more familiar/comfortable with the controls and camera. Patience is also key. Non-patient players who need that instant satisfaction at every damn second will get wrecked and thank god for this. This game teaches you to calm the fuck down and actually observe and soak in the experience. The journey is greater than the destination, always & forever. The sooner the player understands this, the sooner the game will click. And my god, what a journey it is. :)

This game is fucking special. The level design needs to be studied and other devs must take notes. This game elevated the medium as a whole, I'm 100% convinced of this now. Will try to get get that last
outfit
soon. It might be my favorite Team ICO game tbh because of the bond these two share. And cause I LOVE animals.

Yea. I also think there is a certain pace and understanding that yo need to realize between the player and Trico. Might not be a good excuse for bad controls and weird AI moments. But it worked for me in that context. The only time i ever felt like i was at a dead stop was because of a bug that would not trigger the next behavior.

Please, God, anyone.

dive
aim the camera down and hold r1

Ey i don't really get this complaint,you are not alone in this thought process though.
For me it only enhanced the experience, for the first time in a video game since dark souls -blighttown/ashlake (when i was fresh to the series) , i felt truly immersed in a world. For me playing videogames doesnt necessarily mean fun/enjoyment/happiness, it can just be a powerful experience.

Top Bottom