• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

brau

So I'm a couple of hours into it and am surprised that I've been able to command Trico to do what I want pretty much perfectly. Not an instance where he didn't do exactly what I wanted. A much smoother experience than I ever expected. I just make good use of the general call, try to always be in his field of vision and stand at the right spots as I aim where I want to go (R1 + aiming left, right, up or down).

I do have one small question regarding certain enemy types:
Can I stop those green fuckers from throwing spears at Trico? I've tried to headbutt them, but all it does is temporarily stun them as another one grabs me.

You can run into them and roll next to them with Square, if you are also close enough you can shove them. Its a hit or miss tho.

Czigga

Playing this game this weekend. Going totally blind but I'm telling you right now if the big dog dies at the end I'm going to flip my shit

About 4 hours in and I'm absolutely blown away by the game so far. Some really standout moments with Trico! Playing on OG Ps4 and the framerate hasn't bothered me too much really.

Here is a funny vid of Trico I captured fairly early on in the game so no spoilers. The animation is SO good.

https://youtu.be/3i3DLByjmr8

CrisKre

I played for about 3 hrs. yesterday and, as much as I appreciate how ambitious the game is, I have to say the overal experience was very unrefined. The game runs really bad (original PS4 here) and the controls and camera leave a lot to be desired. It really puts a damper in the experience. Also, how the fuck are the climbing Trico mechanics infinitely worse than climbin the colossus? had real problems with not hetting stuck behind Tricos legs.

Ill keep on because its trully a compelling concept and as a Team Ico game its very poetic, but yeah, its a bit of a messy game.

I just had a really good session on this. Everything just clicked. This game is great. Just got to the part where you can issue commands, and crossed the two bridges and ascended the jumps. The controls and commands i think make sense, they seem to be intuitive in a way, but that could be just luck.

Yeah framerate wasn't bad either on that last session, even got used to running around everywhere.

I actually want to lend this game out to my sister who's a big dog lover, think she will adore this.

A post I wrote yesterday before bed but decided to save until I'd played more:

Just played an hour, got out of the first cave and decided to call it a night. First impressions are insanely poor. But you shouldn't judge a game by its tutorial, nor by the extent to which one is able to grasp its nuances in a a short space of time, so I completely believe those calling it a masterpiece. But as a beginner, even controlling the boy is like trying to push a sock full of wet slugs through a loose assortment of plumbing. And these are crucial opening moments. I was ready for a magical first encounter with a giant mythical beast, but instead faced a series of confusing encounters with walls, the boy's face, and the animation of commands I didn't mean to make.

A contemporaneous post that I think is quite relevant, and gets to the heart of why I was finding the game uninviting:

... I find if you play the game with a similar mindset to how the GTA games control, a physics based movement engine that has animation priority.

So now I've played a few more hours today, and of course have come round to the game.

It's a classic case of taking something for what it is, rather than wishing for something it's not. The creators took the decision to make 'execution' hard work. You have to work, you have to learn. You have to discover what the rules actually are for making x, y or z happen, and then practice doing it that way. Climbing on Trico, jumping off ropes, training the camera - these things have been made purposefully challenging as far as I can see, meaning to enjoy the game you have to be willing to apply risk / reward learning to even these basic elements of control. The payoff is that in time you can definitely get used to working the way the game wants you to, knowing that in order to climb Trico and instruct him to jump to a ledge, you will need to carefully and logically start inputting from the beginning all the commands of both boy and beast that will eventually get you there. And occasionally you (you) will fuck it up, and that's OK because that's the game.

Coming straight from playing Tomb Raider this is like a bucket of ice water, and I'm still not exactly delighted. I also reiterate that I think the game makes a total hash of drawing players in at the beginning. But I'm at the point where I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel that so many of those here who've completed the game seem to be so dazzled by.

I do wish for analogue movement (or at least a middle speed), and I do wish the camera had a smaller deadzone, less acceleration, and wouldn't randomly decide to snap back from certain angles. But I can't say for sure that the game would be better as a result.

Alienfan

Zero issues commanding Trico, makes me think people who are complaining are doing something wrong, which in to be fair, the game does a terrible job explaining the commands and there should be a dedicated "move over there button" that isn't tied to the follow button.
My biggest problem is controlling the boy. The animations are snails pace and climbing Trico is a frustrating experience

Zero issues commanding Trico, makes me think people who are complaining are doing something wrong, which in to be fair, the game does a terrible job explaining the commands and there should be a dedicated "move over there button" that isn't tied to the follow button.
My biggest problem is controlling the boy. The animations are snails pace and climbing Trico is a frustrating experience

Yeah the boy is a bit wonky to control at times, but I've had zero issues issuing commands to Trico. You just have to be patient and let Trico think about what you just said and for me does it eventually. Some commands are quicker than others. Like movement and follow commands are almost instant. Getting him to jump takes a while longer, as he has to find the right positioning, and then prepare his body for a jump.

angelic

Banned
Apologies if this is a repeat question, I just received my UK special edition and the cellophane wrapper says "Portuguese" on it, "only on playstation" is in Portugese, and half the back of the box is in portuguese too.

Anyone else? I don't want a Portuguese game that I switch into English mode.

Croyles

Finished the game. Very very conflicted about it.

Personally the good parts won me over and I would probably give it a personal 7/10 but I cannot in good conscience recommend this game to people I know.
That is very sad to say because SotC is in my all time top 3 games if not the top.

It's such a beautiful game but all it's problems seem to directly fight against what it's trying to do.
I feel like this game with competent camera and controls would have been my game of the generation.

I absolutely do not want to sour others peoples enjoyment of this game I just had to get it off my chest that I am feeling a little let down.

I'm about an hour in, and pretty damn blown away by how well animated Trico is. I've not seen another animal who looks and behaves half as convincingly as this.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm about an hour in, and pretty damn blown away by how well animated Trico is. I've not seen another animal who looks and behaves half as convincingly as this.

QVilXf5.png

Okay I need some help because I'm about to stop playing.. and that would make this only the second game Ive started and not finished in 30 years of gaming. I'm at the part where
3 golem warriors have thrown spears at Trico.. I'm now on the beasts back as I jumped from the ledge the warriors are on.. there is a Drawbridge up over a chasm, but Trico is just standing on the pillar rawring at the warriors who are just looking down at us. I've tried every command (and yes, patiently waited for them to be enacted upon) but still nothing. What did I miss?
Please help :(

Auctopus

There is a point where Trico's disobedience stops being endearing or realistic and starts sapping all urgency and immersion out of moments from the game.

There are so many highs in this game and it could stay there if it wasn't for these awful commands.

Croyles

Ya he would get stuck at the hole for me and resurface. Surprised SotC is top 3 but you can't et past controls or camera in TLG? No problem from either but they felt pretty similar to me

SotC was mostly open area so the camera was a lot easier to handle. The tight spaces in this game made it horrible for me in many places. Also not having grab fur mapped to a button (like in SotC) made getting on and off Trico a pain.

Late in the game having 3 different functions mapped to the same button
(Pet, remove spear and use shield) made combat a nightmare for me. Getting off him and using the shield wasnt much better with so many enemies.

Just a small snippet of the problems i've had. Issuing commands to Trico wasn't really one of them when I got past the halfway point and could read his animations.

HStallion

There is a point where Trico's disobedience stops being endearing or realistic and starts sapping all urgency and immersion out of moments from the game.

There are so many highs in this game and it could stay there if it wasn't for these awful commands.

Have you got all the patches and are you giving Trico time to respond? Spamming commands will have the opposite effect and just confuse Trico.

Okay I need some help because I'm about to stop playing.. and that would make this only the second game Ive started and not finished in 30 years of gaming. I'm at the part where
3 golem warriors have thrown spears at Trico.. I'm now on the beasts back as I jumped from the ledge the warriors are on.. there is a Drawbridge up over a chasm, but Trico is just standing on the pillar rawring at the warriors who are just looking down at us. I've tried every command (and yes, patiently waited for them to be enacted upon) but still nothing. What did I miss?

Not sure where that part is, but do you have the mirror? If is the part I'm thinking you should have it, In that case you aim with the mirror at the golems.

Dave_6

There is another door at the far end of the ledge the warriors are on. Go in and then you will go up some more steps to then come out a good ways above Trico. You can then walk across the wooden beams to the drawbridge and he will then jump up to you and away from the warriors.

I did this two nights ago so sorry if it isn't very accurate.

HStallion

SotC was mostly open area so the camera was a lot easier to handle. The tight spaces in this game made it horrible for me in many places. Also not having grab fur mapped to a button (like in SotC) made getting on and off Trico a pain.

(Pet, remove spear and use shield) made combat a nightmare for me. Getting off him and using the shield wasnt much better with so many enemies.

Just a small snippet of the problems i've had. Issuing commands to Trico wasn't really one of them when I got past the halfway point and could read his animations.

Just mash X for a second and you should always fall off Trico. The boy will often catch a part of Trico below his initial drop point. That or just jump off when you're actually standing on Trico.

Auctopus

Have you got all the patches and are you giving Trico time to respond? Spamming commands will have the opposite effect and just confuse Trico.

Got the patches and haven't spammed since my initial question back when I first used Trico. He's been alright sometimes but for about 80% of the game, he's made me wanna tear my hair out and I'm being very patient. I don't mind the kid at all, I really liked Ueda's SOTC movement, it's Trico's responsiveness that's bringing me down.

I'm so conflicted about this game, it's so incredible sometimes and then it's also the most maddening game I can remember playing.

Not sure where that part is, but do you have the mirror? If is the part I'm thinking you should have it, In that case you aim with the mirror at the golems.

No, I definitely don't have the
mirror, it was lost earlier in the game and I still don't have it at this point

Hmmm, i can see that. I was usually off trico indoors and issued a lot of my commands on foot to get him in place first. I wonder if people having the hardest time are riding trico all the time?
I could make him stop and sit with x button and that helped a lot too. Holding down direction command so you run on spot was great, as well

JonnyKong

I've just had to come off cos I'm getting REALLY annoyed at the
"shove" part around two hours in. I am doing it right aren't I? I climb on his head whilst he's stuck, climb onto the ledge, I run around the side, call his name again so he gets himself stuck again, and then I have to quickly jump down behind him and try shove him through? I'm for some reason finding it impossible, the time it gives you to do it is so minimal.

In reply to myself, I've just turned around and noticed a big chain I can climb up. I assume this leads to the solution.

No, I definitely don't have the
mirror, it was lost earlier in the game and I still don't have it at this point

um, can you post a screenshot? I know I just played the game, but right now I don't know which part you are.

Never had these problems, but a few things. Don't try to spam commands, wait for him to be still and issue a command, sometimes he takes a while to prepare and execute the command. Others times he dosn't obey...because is not what he should be doing. If you tell him to jump when he shouldn't he normally won't do it, or trying to go to a place he can't.

So i think your at the bit where you leave trico for a second? well your meant to be heading towards the
drawbridge
, go back through that part

HStallion

This is one of those games I can't wait till its been in everyone's hands for a while and some more dedicated gamers can tell exactly what triggers Trico and what doesn't. I just wonder what I'm doing different as I am hardly ever held up by Trico and when I am its because I'm often asking it to do the wrong action to complete a puzzle.

ScOULaris

This is one of those games I can't wait till its been in everyone's hands for a while and some more dedicated gamers can tell exactly what triggers Trico and what doesn't. I just wonder what I'm doing different as I am hardly ever held up by Trico and when I am its because I'm often asking it to do the wrong action to complete a puzzle.
If I had to guess, I think people are spamming commands.

I think there are stairs you run up and down and you have to jump to two center parts in that stairwell that has switches???

So i think your at the bit where you leave trico for a second? well your meant to be heading towards the
drawbridge
, go back through that part

Yeah this was the part. So
I'd hit the first switch, but missed the left turn at the end of the section the warriors are on, that leads to the next spiral stair and second switch. I guess when I ran down there I was too focused on dodging the warriors to notice the entrance, and then double backed and jumped onto Trico to safety.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The panic of avoiding the warriors is real!

sora87

I have to admit, I don't have a bloody clue what I'm doing in this game, I may have to play it with a video guide tbh :(

HStallion

No idea what JS/genD were thinking with this, really baffling design.

Wonder how many barrels I missed just trying to avoid scanning the environment too long.

Turn the sensitivity up and just tap the camera control stick lightly. Don't hold it much and don't jam it about and you'll have a much better time. When I'm adjusting the camera its in very minor increments and it works pretty damn well for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I also never really had issues but then one point late in the game happened that was kinda infuriating. I actually have a vid on it.

As mentioned to anyone else, this is VERY late in the game so I wouldn't watch unless you've already beaten it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mv57vqkHVQ

I feel like his AI had to have bugged out so I got annoyed to the point where I just killed myself to redo it.
On the second attempt I thought maybe the rubble was in the way or something but you can't hit it with lightning, and the whole area is basically circling up two towers so I knew that was the only spot he could go.

I actually did a double tap input most of the game, I would point to a spot, then jump + point and hold for a bit right after and it was always fine. But if he just doesn't respond then I don't really know what to say, I don't like blaming the player for anything either since you feel pretty helpless in a spot like this. It'd be worse if you are unsure of where to go on top of this.

Top Bottom