• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Yeah that's right. I've had a few occasions like that as well where I just watch Trico in awe. One of the first things I did was to raise the camera sensitivity, which helped, but not to the point where I'd say it was a good camera for gaming.

I think when people love a game, they defend it regardless, in an almost contrarian kind of way. It's entirely possible for a game to be amazing, while still acknowledging the faults.

I've definitely had a few really frustrating moments, but not that many of them were to do with Trico, really. The boy's controls and a few obtuse puzzles here and there were overall far more aggravating. With Trico, there's really only one trick: patience. I think they shot themselves in the foot a little bit by overcomplicating the commands, because really you only need two - R1, and R1+stick. I'm fairly sure that'll get you past everything. But also people are impatient and expect Trico to behave like most AI creatures in games, ie. like a robot. But he doesn't, and that's exactly why he's so wonderful and feels so alive. I've said this before in here or the spoiler thread, but if he behaved efficiently and reacted instantly, it would be much less impressive than his own natural AI, and would really diminish the investment players have in him I think.

I've definitely had a few really frustrating moments, but not that many of them were to do with Trico, really. The boy's controls and a few obtuse puzzles here and there were overall far more aggravating. With Trico, there's really only one trick: patience. I think they shot themselves in the foot a little bit by overcomplicating the commands, because really you only need two - R1, and R1+stick. I'm fairly sure that'll get you past everything. But also people are impatient and expect Trico to behave like most AI creatures in games, ie. like a robot. But he doesn't, and that's exactly why he's so wonderful and feels so alive. I've said this before in here or the spoiler thread, but if he behaved efficiently and reacted instantly, it would be much less impressive than his own natural AI, and would really diminish the investment players have in him I think.

My main 2 complaints are the movement speed of the boy, and the encounters with the warriors. I can get used to the nuances of commanding Trico, and I can appreciate what they were trying to achieve. But not having a movement speed in between Tippy-toe and sprint is maddening, and I can't see a gameplay justification for this, as almost all areas in the game would benefit from an inbetween movement speed. And with the warriors, I think it's more encounter design that I have a problem with so far. Having to run past them on smallish ledges, and also having them grab you and dump you right in front of another one, only to be grabbed again is pretty annoying. The way that you escape their grasp by spamming all the buttons compounds these issues, as for me personally it's not a fun experience.

Generate

Banned
A little help here? I am in the huge water filled room
i opened the gate but cant get Trico to dive down with me holding on. He will dive down without me
Any tips here?

Lady Gaia

2 hours in and og PS4 performance is basically unplayable for me. Almost constant 20-24fps. This is way worse than PS2 SOTC.

When's the last time you played SotC? When you're in the middle of nowhere you can get a sustained 30fps, but when you're engaged in anything interesting 20fps is pretty much best-case. It spends a lot of time around 15fps.

The Last Guardian is extremely ambitious like everything Ueda has done before. It's far from perfect but it's still a remarkable achievement.

Conezays

I'm around 5-6 hours in now. As positive impressions and reviews have mentioned, Trico, as well as the the environments and world are great. The camera and frame rate though are *very* rough; any commentary suggesting players aren't good or need to adapt themselves is laughably arrogant IMO. Both Final Fantasy XV and Bloodborne (among others) have been criticised for their framerate on PS4 and neither come close to how poor this game plays in certain sections. It's disappointing as there is a lot to like here but the camera, controls, and framerate leave a lot to be desired. Haven't had too many problems with issuing commands or waiting on Trico for what it's worth.

I'm happy to hear this supposedly runs at a more consistent 30fps on PS4Pro but the performance on a base PS4 here is pretty rough. Again, I don't mean to sound overly negative but I think the performance here truly colours the overall experience for the worse.

Chumley

Banned
When's the last time you played SotC? When you're in the middle of nowhere you can get a sustained 30fps, but when you're engaged in anything interesting 20fps is pretty much best-case. It spends a lot of time around 15fps.

The Last Guardian is extremely ambitious like everything Ueda has done before. It's far from perfect but it's still a remarkable achievement.

I'm sure it is but it feels like fucking shit to play. I just want 30fps and I don't think I've spent more than 10 minutes at that, it's felt like 20-ish the entire time down to 15 in certain spots. Considering how often I'm moving the camera around and navigating the world it just isn't fun. I guess some people don't mind but I guess after spending most of my time playing PC games at 60fps it sticks out to me.

Lady Gaia

I'm sure it is but it feels like fucking shit to play. I just want 30fps and I don't think I've spent more than 10 minutes at that, it's felt like 20-ish the entire time down to 15 in certain spots. Considering how often I'm moving the camera around and navigating the world it just isn't fun. I guess some people don't mind but I guess after spending most of my time playing PC games at 60fps it sticks out to me.

I certainly understand. I picked up a PS4 Pro to try to find a sweet spot between the high volume console and the care and feeding required of a gaming PC. It seems to have paid off with TLG and a few other titles, and we're just getting started.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't know what's more surprising: the fact that game is finally out or the game is astoundingly only 13 GB and looks great.

I'm 2-3 hours into the game and it's pretty good. Although it feels like another take on Ico. Not that I hate Ico it's just that the game style is considered ancient now.

Also the camera sucks.

Oneself

i opened the gate but cant get Trico to dive down with me holding on. He will dive down without me
Any tips here?
Looks like a known bug, just "restart from checkpoint". Also, R1+X when on Trico.

Conezays

I don't know what's more surprising: the fact that game is finally out or the game is astoundingly only 13 GB and looks great.

I'm 2-3 hours into the game and it's pretty good. Although it feels like another take on Ico. Not that I hate Ico it's just that the game style is considered ancient now.

Also the camera sucks.

Definitely more in the vein of Ico than SOTC. Also, who thought holding all the buttons in certain segments was a fun or comfortable gameplay mechanic? Surely holding just the face or shoulder buttons would've sufficed (minor nitpick but still).

Auctopus

Any tips here?

I was there for 25 minutes. Kept restarting, after about my 5th restart, he did it first time.

Try just pointing down instead of using a command.

I miss having R1 to grab. It's a staple in Team ICO's games. Also, the game misses a walk animation. Hope there is patch to fix that. It would make platformorming a lot more simple.

Why. Why is "pet trico" same as "pick up helmet"

Some of the controls are needlessly frustrating

We have a lot of buttons just not utilized and would have avoided cumbersome problems like this

Dreez

We have a lot of buttons just not utilized and would have avoided cumbersome problems like this

Hmmm makes sense to me. I look at it as grab or touch--you also use it for pulling levers and going up ladders if I remember right.

I miss having R1 to grab. It's a staple in Team ICO's games. Also, the game misses a walk animation. Hope there is patch to fix that. It would make platformorming a lot more simple.

I completely agree, and feel like having a fast walk would improve the game immeasurably. I feel like a chicken running around with it's head cut off, especially in confined spaces.

The art direction is simply stunning. It's definitely a well realised vision artistically.

Chumley

Banned
I certainly understand. I picked up a PS4 Pro to try to find a sweet spot between the high volume console and the care and feeding required of a gaming PC. It seems to have paid off with TLG and a few other titles, and we're just getting started.

I only use my PS4 for exclusives so right now I have a hard time justifying a Pro purchase, but by the end of 2017 it'll probably make more sense to get one.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

The game syncs up similar actions to the same button. Push is Square and that's the same as attack for Trico for example. Jump for the boy and Trico is Triangle.

Anko

I'm having a great time with trico! I have yet to find myself frustrated by trico so far. Trico jumped when I told it to, and raised me up to where I wanted to go without any issues. It hasn't happened all that often so far but if trico is not listening to my commands the way I want it to, it's because I'm pointing at the wrong direction or telling it to jump at the wrong positions. Naturally if it didn't work the first time, it won't work if I issue the exact same command the second time. I'm not going to get through to someone by shouting the same thing over and over. It won't work on a human, much less an animal that can't understand words. Understanding that, I tried different ways to help trico understand what I wanted to do. None of it took long, and none were frustrating.

I went through the segment they demoed at one of the E3s(?) and it was great, despite my having already watched it. I've seen videos of trico not reacting to some people in critical moments (there was a Japanese video pre-release from famitsu or dengeki or whatever) but it wasn't an issue for me. I got through it in one go. Trico showed, with its body language, that it was ready to do whatever it had to do to help the boy. It's strange. I've seen the stage demo, and know that it's supposed to happen, but knowing now how close the two have grown, changed how I felt about that scene. Seeing it worry and maybe even panic when the boy was in danger... It's amazing what they accomplished with trico. To convey all that with just trico's body language and facial expressions. I would hug trico if I could. Needless to say, I spent the next 5 minutes petting trico after that.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just started on pspro... how do I access the different graphics options? It only gives brightness setting
If you have a 1080P TV, it automatically gives you the Pro mode for games with Pro support unless they have multiple pro modes like 4K or performance mode like Nioh/TLOU. Not sure on 4K TVs though since I'm still on 1080p. You basically don't do anything with settings on Pro for 1080p TVs.

I'm having a great time with trico! I have yet to find myself frustrated by trico so far. Trico jumped when I told it to, and raised me up to where I wanted to go without any issues. It hasn't happened all that often so far but if trico is not listening to my commands the way I want it to, it's because I'm pointing at the wrong direction or telling it to jump at the wrong positions. Naturally if it didn't work the first time, it won't work if I issue the exact same command the second time. I'm not going to get through to someone by shouting the same thing over and over. It won't work on a human, much less an animal that can't understand words. Understanding that, I tried different ways to help trico understand what I wanted to do. None of it took long, and none were frustrating.

I went through the segment they demoed at one of the E3s(?) and it was great, despite my having already watched it. I've seen videos of trico not reacting to some people in critical moments (there was a Japanese video pre-release from famitsu or dengeki or whatever) but it wasn't an issue for me. I got through it in one go. Trico showed, with its body language, that it was ready to do whatever it had to do to help the boy. It's strange. I've seen the stage demo, and know that it's supposed to happen, but knowing now how close the two have grown, changed how I felt about that scene. Seeing it worry and maybe even panic when the boy was in danger... It's amazing what they accomplished with trico. To convey all that with just trico's body language and facial expressions. I would hug trico if I could. Needless to say, I spent the next 5 minutes petting trico after that.
I like your understanding of Trico's nature and style. Looking forward to your thoughts after you beat it.

If you have a 1080P TV, it automatically gives you the Pro mode for games with Pro support unless they have multiple pro modes like 4K or performance mode like Nioh/TLOU. Not sure on 4K TVs though since I'm still on 1080p. You basically don't do anything with settings on Pro for 1080p TVs.

I have a 4k tv just wondering if I wanted to do the 1080/30 fps over the 4k mode. Framerate is fine so far so I'm not sure what mode it's in.

I feel all games should have the option in game!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I have a 4k tv just wondering if I wanted to do the 1080/30 fps over the 4k mode. Framerate is fine so far so I'm not sure what mode it's in.

I feel all games should have the option in game!
I might be wrong on this but I remember reading that TLG on Pro still ran at 1080p with more bells & whistles and solid performance. And that there was no 4K uprendered mode with this title specifically. Someone please correct me on this. And yes, all games should have that option within the game!

How hopelessly lost would I be if I play the Japanese version? It didn't bother me in Ico and SoTC so I want to get the JPN version of this as well.

ViciousDS

Banned
Ok, just started GAF, even the left stick has a delay......seriously? Aiming with the mirror is horrid even on my monitor......like rise of the tomb raider didn't feel this bad at times.

Any words on if they are patching the camera? that parts driving me insane the most

Haines

Banned
Is there an explantion of the controls some where?

I always feel like im guessing when trying to control trico etc.

A nice clean overview of this games controls would be very helpful in reducing my errors and frustrations.

HStallion

Is there an explantion of the controls some where?

I always feel like im guessing when trying to control trico etc.

A nice clean overview of this games controls would be very helpful in reducing my errors and frustrations.

There is a digital manual.

Meowster

Just took the plunge.. time for the fun install times. Excited to play this one. I loved SotC back in the day and the trailers for this gave me strong NeverEnding Story vibes.

Haines

Banned
There is a digital manual.

Ok, how do i control trico

Do i use the right or left stick when i issue commands. Is it pusing in the direction that matters or where im looking

This part of the game feels confusing as its not resoinding to what i want and i wonder if its user error

melkier33

Just wanted to give a little tip, I just finished my speed run trophy. If you have trouble getting trico to do what you want, watch his head it gives a good indication if hes doing what you want. In the first few seconds you should be able to tell. If hes not doing what you want issue the X command it will cancel his behavior and retry. I also found it a bit easier if I focused the camera on where I wanted him to go at times. He's definitely a lot easier to control when you get used to it.

HStallion

Ok, how do i control trico

Do i use the right or left stick when i issue commands. Is it pusing in the direction that matters or where im looking

This part of the game feels confusing as its not resoinding to what i want and i wonder if its user error

Hold R1 to command Trico. Use the left stick to direct it, X to cancel actions, Square to attack, CIrcle to take an action and Triangle to jump.

Just remember he gets more obedient as the game goes on and spamming commands will often have the exact opposite response. Even making a jump can take 10 to 20 seconds as it adjusts it position, changes its stances and so on.

Just finished it. I really don't know what to say. I'm digesting it all. It's too emotional to explain right after you finish it. I'll update tomorrow. The feels man...the feels.

I completely agree, and feel like having a fast walk would improve the game immeasurably. I feel like a chicken running around with it's head cut off, especially in confined spaces.

The art direction is simply stunning. It's definitely a well realised vision artistically.

There must be some programming issue that is resulting with the the Boy's controls. There's no way an animator like Ueda would've missed that considering a walk issue EXISTS in his previous two titles. The dead zone is also curious, even accounting the framrare. It's as if they're "emulating" controls rather than natively on the gamepad if that makes sense.

Im at the point where the game first starts telling you how to Command Trico with the R1 prompts. Im having no problem controlling Trico and telling him what to do. Not sure if it happens later, but Im not seeing the criticism at all

Raw64life

Just had my first "fuck Trico" moment of the game. Haven't played a lot so I'm assuming still pretty early in the game.

There's a series of long corridors that you have to open doors before the statues spot you. One of the times Trico is supposed to stand up and give you a lift and he would just not do it for about 15 minutes. Even restarted the game at one point and still no. Looked up a walkthrough and YouTube and I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing. Trico would look up, stare, scratch himself, hunch like he was about to leap but wouldn't do it. After 15 minutes he finally did it.

Still a great game overall but god damn.

Mezoly

Mid/late game need help accessing barrel
Trico on a hunger strike near the cage elevator. When I go down the elavotor there is a barrel behind a statue. I need a helmet. Where is the helmet? Can't find it

i just beat the game and it did get me to tear up at some points

but really how did they even think they could get this working on a PS3

LordCanti

Mid/late game need help accessing barrel
Trico on a hunger strike near the cage elevator. When I go down the elavotor there is a barrel behind a statue. I need a helmet. Where is the helmet? Can't find it

If it's the one I'm thinking of you'll get it naturally in the process of continuing forward. It's not hidden.

Just wanted to give a little tip, I just finished my speed run trophy. If you have trouble getting trico to do what you want, watch his head it gives a good indication if hes doing what you want. In the first few seconds you should be able to tell. If hes not doing what you want issue the X command it will cancel his behavior and retry. I also found it a bit easier if I focused the camera on where I wanted him to go at times. He's definitely a lot easier to control when you get used to it.

Hold R1 to command Trico. Use the left stick to direct it, X to cancel actions, Square to attack, CIrcle to take an action and Triangle to jump.

Just remember he gets more obedient as the game goes on and spamming commands will often have the exact opposite response. Even making a jump can take 10 to 20 seconds as it adjusts it position, changes its stances and so on.
X action helped me a lot

zewone

The ending made up for a lot of the games shortcomings, but still never captured me like ICO and especially SotC.

Beautiful game regardless.

How do you
get Trico to eat the barrels after the epic battle with the other beast? It's the part where you just got the mirror again and you shine on the train carts that spill out 2 barrels. Trico is just laying on its side. I've put the barrels right at the mouth, thrown them in the mouth (just bounce off) I literally can't put the barrels closer to Trico's mouth, and when it goes to eat them they just get nudged back..

How do you
get Trico to eat the barrels after the epic battle with the other beast? It's the part where you just got the mirror again and you shine on the train carts that spill out 2 barrels. Trico is just laying on its side. I've put the barrels right at the mouth, thrown them in the mouth (just bounce off) I literally can't put the barrels closer to Trico's mouth, and when it goes to eat them they just get nudged back..

hold the barrels and walk up to him, he wil eat them out of your hands

Top Bottom