• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Anko

Yep, I had the same issue. Incredibly frustrating part that doesn't telegraph what it wants you to do very well.

You need to use the mirror on the black goo until it's roughly a quarter or so left? At that point jump onto the cage and climb up. You'd think it wants you to make it recede entirely but nope.

It attacking you when you do that isn't enough of a clue? Does it have to outright kill you for you to get that you shouldn't be doing that?

- No controller profiles, triangle to jump? What is this?

This comes up quite a bit. Whether you like it or not is up to you, but you can know that it has a strong logic of its own, and departs from 'conventional' control systems on the back of its status as 'boutique' software (or is 'bespoke' nearer the mark?). It does its own thing becasue fuck you :) The game values its own ideas above your convenience, and, supposedly, by committing to this set of priorities, delivers an experience not found anywhere else.*

Triangle, north on the pad, is the command for 'up.'
X, south on the pad, is the command for 'down.'
Circle, east on the pad, is the command for 'hold'
Square, west on the pad, is the command for 'push'

The first two in particular it helped me a great deal to keep in mind.

* In the past, all games were like this!

Just a few tidbits...

-Adjust the camera to your liking in the menu, some like it all the way up, I like it a little bit after mid-way

- Hold L1 for the camera to stay focused on Trico, it's a nice angle that keeps the camera in place at times when your trying to figure out things involving both of you

- Use crawl and slow walk if your not sure about edges, falls etc...seems like it should be a walk, but those do get the job done

- Pet Trico often, and calm him down, it does make a difference, and its very kind '-)

- Be patient, take in the scenery, let Trico come nuzzle you, enjoy the art

- It's ok if the game is not vibing with you, you don't HAVE to love Team Ico's games...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
For anyone who is having trouble with making Trico dive. You don't have to issue a command. Just have the boy swimming freely and start to dive down for a few seconds, then swim under Trico. He'll follow you and the boy will stick to him as he swims down. Hope this isn't a spoiler but I know people are having an issue with this. It always works for me.

Conezays

It attacking you when you do that isn't enough of a clue? Does it have to outright kill you for you to get that you shouldn't be doing that?

The amount it stops at can be finnicky. It's hardly exact or obvious that you should use the mirror till the goo is approximately 25 %. I used the mirror to make it recede at similar points and it resulted in nothing occurring until it finally worked as intended. I'm glad you enjoyed the sequence.

This comes up quite a bit. Whether you like it or not is up to you, but you can know that it has a strong logic of its own, and departs from 'conventional' control systems on the back of its status as 'boutique' software (or is 'bespoke' nearer the mark?). It does its own thing becasue fuck you :) The game values its own ideas above your convenience, and, supposedly, by committing to this set of priorities, delivers an experience not found anywhere else.*

Triangle, north on the pad, is the command for 'up.'
X, south on the pad, is the command for 'down.'
Circle, east on the pad, is the command for 'hold'
Square, west on the pad, is the command for 'push'

The first two in particular it helped me a great deal to keep in mind.

* In the past, all games were like this!
This. Top button for up actions, low button for low actions. At first, it seemed annoying, but I acclimated quickly

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm watching this Threedogg stream, holy shit this guy is the dumbest player I've seen and he's bitching about the chat who are totally right in telling him he's dumb. Overthinks EVERYTHING.

sora87

Ok I think my trico is broke, i've watched like 4 other videos of this part and he's done what he's supposed to within 2 minutes for them, and it's been 20 minutes for me and he's just staring at the wall not doing it. Soooooooo frustrating!

HStallion

Ok I think my trico is broke, i've watched like 4 other videos of this part and he's done what he's supposed to within 2 minutes for them, and it's been 20 minutes for me and he's just staring at the wall not doing it. Soooooooo frustrating!

If anything takes more then ten minutes its a bug or you're doing something not at all what you're intended to. Every time I've been stuck its because I was doing something wrong or overthinking something or just missing the obvious. Luckily I haven't experienced any real bugs as most things happen relatively quickly

sora87

If anything takes more then ten minutes its a bug or you're doing something not at all what you're intended to. Every time I've been stuck its because I was doing something wrong or overthinking something or just missing the obvious. Luckily I haven't experienced any real bugs as most things happen relatively quickly

I'm doing exactly what the other people have so it must be a bug :(

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I've had a real bug that took me I think 4 restarts and 10 minutes. Other than that it worked fine for me, but that was still frustrating. I realized it was a bug when the narrator was skipping ahead in the story.

Putty

Im about 2 hrs or so in and am loving the life out of it...Trico really is the most impressive thing ive seen in a videogame...utterly convincing in everything he does. Simply astonishng...Also, the performace isnt bothering me what so ever...even with drops ...the game simply looks magnificent.

brawly

Credits just rolled. After everything that this game went through, I can't believe how good it is.

I don't think I ever want to replay it because it's one of the best experiences I've ever had. The emotions I've felt throughout the game and with the ending...man. Huge gratitude to whoever made it possible to be released. The team behind it, Ueda, Shu and everyone else. Thank you so much.

HStallion

Does anyone know if there is any point to
the soldiers without heads in certain areas. I know there is a puzzle related one but there seem to be random ones that don't matter if you activate them or not

Dad

Ending spoilers

Trico decided to take a shit just as I cleared the top of the Master's tower and got to see the sunset. Very moving scene

the soldiers without heads in certain areas. I know there is a puzzle related one but there seem to be random ones that don't matter if you activate them or not

They generally have barrels hidden behind them

Alucrid

Banned

some have passages behind them for hidden barrels

Slightly imprecise controls (similar to SotC) a wonky camera and a few framerate dips here and there (playing on Pro in 4k mode) yet its not once stopped me loving every moment of the game so far.

Trico is just so awesome. I don't think I've ever seen AI feel this real or believable before. Its like a real living, breathing animal with actual emotions, like anger, fear and love, its so good.

Even with a few technical flaws, its still a truly special game.

HStallion

So I just got to the part
where you see Trico with wings taking the boy. What does the old man say after it flies away and escapes? I looked away for a second and missed it. Also interesting turn of events.

KevinG

I had a pretty big glitch at the end of the game
as the other creatures are attacking Trico. I couldn't find my shield, but I knew that's what I was supposed to do. Seemed obvious, but I looked everywhere. Climbed down into the tower again, actually multiple times while trying to figure it all out. Ended up dying a few times in the attempt to figure out what to do.

Then after about the fifth restart of the checkpoint, there's my shield glistening in the sun. Obviously.

That "glistening" wasn't there the previous 30 minutes.

Being halfway through I can say it's just beautiful. Feels so classic ps2-esque in many good ways (I know we got terms for genres, nevermind)
Looking for the fan art coming in !!

I had a pretty big glitch at the end of the game
as the other creatures are attacking Trico. I couldn't find my shield, but I knew hats what I was supposed to do. Seemed obvious, but I looked everywhere. Climbed down into the tower again, actually multiple times while trying to figure it all out. Ended up dying a few times in the attempt to figure out what to do.

Then after about the fifth restart of the checkpoint, there's my shield glistening in the sun. Obviously.

That "glistening" wasn't there the previous 30 minutes.
Same exact thing happened to me. Glad to know someone else experienced that. Once I saw it, it was so obvious that I could not believe I missed it -- now I know why!

Finished the game last night, and man... I was not aware how much I missed a game like this. Such an incredible adventure full of cleverly executed twists and surprises that ended up creating a wonderful and vast collection of memorable and magical moments for me to remember and look upon.

Audio and Visuals were mostly excellent and simply UNREAL at times. Oozing with that gorgeous style Team Ico is known for.

Only parts that really didn´t like were in the final tower, first when
you have to activate those panels with the mirror to get the elevator working,
felt overly convoluted for a section near the end of the game, also that very same part murdered my framerate to such a degree that I thought it was an homage to Blighttown from Dark Souls, lol (most certainly a bug, since it fixed itself once I restarted the Checkpoint).
And then the final fight against the armored guys that follows was a bit unnecessary imo.

But even then, this game an absolute masterpiece, an obvious must play, not only if liked previous Ueda works, but also if you´d like to watch how the videogame medium is pushed beyond the conventional limits, just Trico itself is crowning achievement in terms of AI and animation.

And the ending, superb. Maybe not as emotional as SotC, at least for me, but it acomplishes a greater feeling of closure, and overall is a more than worthy conclusion for such an amazing adventure.

Infinite thanks to Fumito Ueda and his team for carrying on with their vision against all odds, and thanks to all the fans, including myself ;), that kept believing in this project, because, according to Shuhei Yoshida himself, this game would have not existed without us.

bosseye

Been playing for a couple of hours. My God. My god! It's astonishing. I haven't exclaimed in wonder out loud during a game for ages, this is just something else. Trico is an incredible achievement, just awesome. So full of life

So much to say about this, but I'll do it another time.

I just petted Trico around the lower spine region and he reacted exactly like my mums cat does when you scratch it in the same spot, it blows my mind how good this is.

Ashamed to admit it, but I'd really like a mild pointer of some kind :)

We're in a big round arena with a huge grating above it. There are three metal gates that won't open because it seems there's nothing to turn the cog that Trico keeps playing with.

HStallion

I'm having fun, but man, waiting for Trico to do what you need it to do to solve a puzzle is KILLING me.

It often helps to get Trico to come to where you need it before trying to issue a command. Better yet for things like making a jump once Trico is in the general area of where it needs to be it will often look at where it will be jumping too next as to confirm you are correct. That's when you give the jump command and it helps I think be directing the camera at the same spot just in case. Not sure if that actually matters but doesn't seem to hurt.

ScOULaris

We're in a big round arena with a huge grating above it. There are three metal gates that won't open because it seems there's nothing to turn the cog that Trico keeps playing with.
That cog is the right idea. Stand on Trico's back and try different commands.

I got pretty stuck on that part as well.

Donthizz#

one gate (left one, iirc) is opened by Trico. just go near it and he will open it. there's a cart inside it.

you need figure out the rest, it's the fun part.

Chris R

It often helps to get Trico to come to where you need it before trying to issue a command. Better yet for things like making a jump once Trico is in the general area of where it needs to be it will often look at where it will be jumping too next as to confirm you are correct. That's when you give the jump command and it helps I think be directing the camera at the same spot just in case. Not sure if that actually matters but doesn't seem to hurt.

I was mostly talking about the
chained blue pot
puzzle. Nothing I could do from where I was but wait for the AI routine to play out.

HStallion

I was mostly talking about the
chained blue pot
puzzle. Nothing I could do from where I was but wait for the AI routine to play out.

Ahh well yeah Trico will sometimes get distracted by stuff. Just wait till you get to a large shallow pool of water lol

Lady Gaia

:edit: nevermind.. it suddenly worked. No idea what I did differently.

It's all in the timing.
If you use the shield until you start getting pushback in the form of alien glyphs then it will recover quickly. If you stop just as soon as the goo recedes then it comes back more slowly. It took me a while to figure that out, too!

nikos

I'm right at the end of the game and had to turn it off because I'm so mad at how bad the game's mechanics can be. If I finish it now, I'll walk away feeling like the game is a piece of garbage. It's also a masterpiece at times, so I'm going to finish it after having something to eat and calming down.

Late game and i've hit my first real wall, tbh i gave up pretty easy cus i'm tired.

Don't read unless you've finished:
How do you get Trico up after his fight with the other one? I used the lightning to knock the wall down and fed those two barrels to him but he's not moved. I also knocked another wall down a bit further up but couldn't see a way to get there, do i need more barrels from that way?

Roubjon

Holy fuck this game has been perfect except for this one awful part. Why the hell is this task so goddamn difficult to do. I've been literally trying to do it for 20 minutes. Still 10/10 tho.

EDIT: I finally got it, of course it was mainly my fault. I should have known better.
It was trying to make Trico dive underwater and latching onto him.

KevinG

Late game and i've hit my first real wall, tbh i gave up pretty easy cus i'm tired.

How do you get Trico up after his fight with the other one? I used the lightning to knock the wall down and fed those two barrels to him but he's not moved. I also knocked another wall down a bit further up but couldn't see a way to get there, do i need more barrels from that way?

Fallen cart. Zappy zap.

BrazilGaf

Banned

Theres 2 more barrels that u get by breaking the mine carts

Also if he has any spear stuck on him he Will not recover

bosseye

Is there a way to turn off the screen prompts for controls? I know how to climb now, thanks. They're the ugliest prompts too.

I wonder if we will get PS4 versions of Ico and Shadow now? It would make sense to have them all on one system. I bet those PS3 versions had internal PC builds for development. Get Bluepoint on the case.

I wonder if we will get PS4 versions of Ico and Shadow now? It would make sense to have them all on one system. I bet those PS3 versions had internal PC builds for development. Get Bluepoint on the case.

As much as I love those games, there comes a point when porting certain games to every console generation just gets a bit silly.

As much as I love those games, there comes a point when porting certain games to every console generation just gets a bit silly.

Maybe you're right. There will probably be gamers that play TLG and then want to play the other two, but can't unless they own a PS3. Maybe PSNow makes sense.

iFirez

I've just finished the part that ends with a big story cinematic, holy shit. I've had to put the controller down for the night and just digest how incredible this game is. I think I still have a couple of hours of gameplay left until the end of the game so that's my Sunday plan. I can't wait to jump into the discussion about his game when I'm all done, the story, the setting - I'm hoping for more revaltions, in terms of story, before I'm done too.
Dude in the village looked just like the dude who rides in on a horse in SoC except without the mask.

Not going to spoil anything, but I finished the game about two hours ago and it was just so, so good. I loved this story and this game. Still in shock that the vision stayed this firm all this time.

Very grateful to Team ICO and Sony for having faith in this.

Clive

Just finished the game and oh man, what a ride. I feel privileged to have played this game and I will cherish it forever. It's by no means a perfect "game" but it's one hell of an experience.

Top Bottom