• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

The boy talks as much as the boy from ICO and the narrator gives hints like Dormin from SoTC.

Not really text heavy.

The only difference between this game and the rest is that the narrator does sometimes talks about the story thought out the game.

Thanks, will pickup the JPN version.

Meowster

Trico is so adorable. ❤️

So happy that against all odds, both this and XV managed to pull through and be great games. We only just escaped from the opening lair (and got him to get past his fears and dive into the water) but I know I'm gonna have a blast with this one.

jiggles

Banned
I'd appreciate if anyone could give me an indication of how much of the game I have left, so I can plan the rest of my playtime accordingly.

I've just
revived Trico after his fight with the other one, and have the shield back at last

Endo Punk

The controls really take time getting used to. I appreciate games that feel pick up and play and universal control that most games adopt but man I get it now, there's a reason why most games feel the same.

Ostinatto

I'd appreciate if anyone could give me an indication of how much of the game I have left, so I can plan the rest of my playtime accordingly.

I've just
revived Trico after his fight with the other one, and have the shield back at last

you are like 2 o 3 hours away from finishing the game. depends on how good you are really :)

KevinG

I've just
I got to that point last night at 11 PM and thought that I must be close to the end. Played for another hour and half and realized that I wasn't as close to the end as I thought.

I was just informed that I've got less than an hour left.

you mean a
headless armor statue? you need to bring a helmet.

Got it
catapulted a helmet through the grid in the ceiling. And, the fucker came alive! I've passed a few of those earlier in the game, maybe they all have secrets behind them? I'll look once I've completed it.

BeeDog

I was contemplating the reason for why the platforming is so great in this game, and why it feels so automated in games like RoTR and U4. I came to the following conclusion:

There is no auto-guiding in the platforming here. If you're a bit off-base, you fall and die. On the other hand, the entire animation system is physics-based here and the game isn't too fussy about physics quirks, unlike U4. The boy will reach out with his spazzy arms and attempt to grab ledges etc., but will look like a boneless ragdoll in the meantime.

Oh, and the ragdolling in general is so satisfying in this game which i didn't expect. Looks to hurt so much when the boy falls from a high place and whines, holding his knee.

I was contemplating the reason for why the platforming is so great in this game, and why it feels so automated in games like RoTR and U4. I came to the following conclusion:

There is no auto-guiding in the platforming here. If you're a bit off-base, you fall and die. On the other hand, the entire animation system is physics-based here and the game isn't too fussy about physics quirks, unlike U4. The boy will reach out with his spazzy arms and attempt to grab ledges etc., but will look like a boneless ragdoll in the meantime.

Oh, and the ragdolling in general is so satisfying in this game which i didn't expect. Looks to hurt so much when the boy falls from a high place and whines, holding his knee.
There's an element of risk and unknown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YH8aTttNAM
(Short clip from area about 30-40% through)
I didn't know if this jump was possible, took me three tries to make it. But you can't take shortcuts or risky jumps like that in Uncharted

I wonder what's causing performance issues for some and little for others? Nothing noticeable on my OG ps4 playthrough but others seem to have major EDF-like issues. What could be causing this

Mupod

it's funny, I just mindlessly follow any platforming/ledge grabbing path I can find because I'm used to games like Uncharted where there is only one correct route. There's been plenty of dead ends in TLG.

I am a bit iffy on jumping off chains though. Can never get the boy to go in the direction I want, it's always a bit off to one side.

h1R1aBV.jpg

It's finally here! YEEESS!!!

jMg5tb1.gif

I actually got this and ffxv both new for 90€, wasn't interested in ff but i thought it was a good deal.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Finished it.

It's basically what I expected and that is wonderful. I watched the announcement trailer and the first E3 gameplay demonstration. Next time I won't watch anything!

KevinG

I've noticed a good deal a frame drops on PS4 Pro at 1080p. Mostly in late game.

Hasn't hindered my experience at all. They mostly occurred during non-gameplay intense scenes.

BeeDog

There's an element of risk and unknown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YH8aTttNAM
(Short clip from area about 30-40% through)
I didn't know if this jump was possible, took me three tries to make it. But you can't take shortcuts or risky jumps like that in Uncharted

That clip is a perfect example of what I was trying to explain. The jump doesn't "auto-target" the rope, but the great physics and animation systems make sure that the boy stretches out his arms to grab the rope, dynamically.

Conezays

Just finishing up the game now. I honestly can't think of a worse-running first party game that I've played in years from Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. The framerate for the majority of this game is below 30fps (on a base PS4). This fundamentally makes going through a world a chore and cumbersome to do basic actions. Many of the setpieces/cut scenes chug even more significantly. I'm glad others seem to have gotten past some of these issues but they inherently affect my enjoyment of the visuals and interactions with Trico.

I'm vegan and someone who has enjoyed Ueda's past games so this game is theoretically very much something I would respect and enjoy. However, the camera, controls, and framerate are just *bad*, much to the detriment of the game. While Trico's animations, the art design, and music are all great, so much of the game involves doing basic puzzles at sub-par framerates with a poor camera and controls. None of the puzzles are particularly difficult and become quite repetitive as you are constantly at the mercy of the aforementioned issues.

Shadow of the Colossus, which isn't without its flaws either, constantly threw new creatures at you alleviating much of the repetition associated with the idea of fighting tons of bosses in a row, etc. Each one typically had some new gameplay ideas, environments, and music. In this game, you pretty much press R1 and wait for Trico to realise what you want him to do; rinse and repeat with varying levels of control and framerate issues. The game itself is not difficult; nearly all of my deaths in the game were due to the camera or controls working poorly. I'm happy to play a difficult game but most of the deaths in TLG did not feel earned. Also, there are many examples (despite the low difficulty) where it becomes unclear if you are doing the "right thing" due to Trico's AI. You could have figured out what to do just fine but due to his AI or a glitch you are seemingly unable to progress.

Overall, a pretty big disappointment for me. The few moments in the game where it does run at 30fps feel *much* better and I wish it was more consistent. It's unfortunate that PS4Pro owners are the only ones who get to enjoy the game at a solid frame rate; I don't think expecting the game to run at 30fps is too much to ask for. I would have been happy with a 900p or even 720p option if it meant the game running smoother. Don't like to be overtly negative but the gameplay and performance here do not warrant a ton of praise IMO.

tesqui

Man, it fucking sucks that the only thing the general public seems to know about this game is that it controls like shit and performs horribly. It seems that's the narrative this game has gotten and what it will be remembered for.

Every top youtube comment and reddit post says the same thing. "Wow this game looks like it would be infuriating to play." "How could a game be this bad when developed for 10 years"

Don't buy it... I can notice framerate issues just fine. I had a few in my playthrough but nothing I would call bad. Some people here are claiming EDF, quadruple air raider/airstrike bad

I was playing earlier and experienced 5fps sequences. The framerate in the game is poorly stable at best, and absolutely shocking at worst.

I was playing earlier and experienced 5fps sequences. The framerate in the game is poorly stable at best, and absolutely shocking at worst.
That's what i'm talking about. I wonder why it was different for some of us. I definitely did not have framerate issues like that and the same goes for others here

That's what i'm talking about. I wonder why it was different for some of us. I definitely did not have framerate issues like that and the same goes for others here

The sequence where I got 5fps (it was literally a slideshow) was a sequence where Trico grabbed the boy and ran across a breaking up tunnel. It was an amazing sequence, but the framerate was disgracefully bad. In most cases its sub-30fps from the 8 or so hours I've played.

Most people can't see slowdown (like they can't tell the difference between 30 and 60), so I don't really think the "no issues" claims have much weight. DF reported on some fairly bad performance throughout too.

I think I recorded the 5fps sequence, I'll share it up if I did.

MCermak

Sorry if this has been addressed already (Sorta spoilery for the series):

It's been a while, but I thought I remembered the same (fictional) spoken language is consistent between ICO and SOTC. Is that the case here too?

Shadow of the Colossus, which isn't without its flaws either, constantly threw new creatures at you alleviating much of the repetition associated with the idea of fighting tons of bosses in a row, etc. Each one typically had some new gameplay ideas, environments, and music. In this game, you pretty much press R1 and wait for Trico to realise what you want him to do; rinse and repeat with varying levels of control and framerate issues. The game itself is not difficult; nearly all of my deaths in the game were due to the camera or controls working poorly. I'm happy to play a difficult game but most of the deaths in TLG did not feel earned. Also, there are many examples (despite the low difficulty) where it becomes unclear if you are doing the "right thing" due to Trico's AI. You could have figured out what to do just fine but due to his AI or a glitch you are seemingly unable to progress.

I mean, you do realize the hitting R1 in combination with the different buttons on the controller commands Trico to do specific actions, right? As an example, pressing R1 plus a direction will prompt him to go in that direction. R1 + triangle will ask him to stomp/jump, etc. So if your hitting R1 and waiting around for Trico to "get it" it's no wonder you have issues with the AI. You also have to interpret his sounds and visual cues. When he growls or mumbles, he wants you to jump on his back for instance. His eye color also informs you of his state of mind, etc. I'll stop there because part of the enjoyment of the game is figuring all of this out!

I completed the game last night and outside of one instance where Trico was so fascinated with something in the sky that he wouldn't make a jump for me for a few minutes (I had to call him to go in the direction I wanted, then I hit R1 and X to get him to pay attention and sit down. I pet him a little bit to make his feel at ease and then pointed him in the direction again and he was good) - I had zero issues moving along the game with little frustration. Hell, I stopped at times to just watch Trico interact with the environment. Even the
water puzzles later in the game
went flawlessly once I realized what needed to happen.

Framerate and controls? I can't argue with some of those complaints. Though I'm playing on the Pro at 4K/HDR and it only bogged down noticeably a handful of times. My main control frustration was getting turned around climbing Trico and the O button being a multi-contextual button. Argh! Oh yeah and the camera can indeed be absolutely atrocious at times.

The sequence where I got 5fps (it was literally a slideshow) was a sequence where Trico grabbed the boy and ran across a breaking up tunnel. It was an amazing sequence, but the framerate was disgracefully bad. In most cases its sub-30fps from the 8 or so hours I've played.

Most people can't see slowdown (like they can't tell the difference between 30 and 60), so I don't really think the "no issues" claims have much weight. DF reported on some fairly bad performance throughout too.

I think I recorded the 5fps sequence, I'll share it up if I did.
I'm not doubting you and others are having issues. Just trying to figure out why i didn't. There were frame dips, sure. It was the worst in the heavily wooded areas, for me but luckily they weren't gameplay focused sections. To say people can't tell 30 from 60 is pretty crazy. Even if you couldn't tell from a vid when physically playing, most could tell. Im just wondering if there is some other factor as to why you had severe stutterering and I did not...

I am a bit iffy on jumping off chains though. Can never get the boy to go in the direction I want, it's always a bit off to one side.

It's the same with any jump in the game - you have to be pretty sure which direction you're pointing (and will stay pointing) for the duration that you execute. The camera plays a big part in that. I usually rotate and steady it to a point that it won't move much when I start to go, and make reasonably certain it's going to stay put while I hold the direction I want to move. It also needs to be kept in mind that a jump takes quite a long button press to exectue, during which time it's easy to accidentally move either the left or right stick and thus throw your direction off.

Planning!

The sequence where I got 5fps (it was literally a slideshow) was a sequence where Trico grabbed the boy and ran across a breaking up tunnel. It was an amazing sequence, but the framerate was disgracefully bad.

Just played this part on Pro and it was fine. I mean completely fine, I can't imagine it would be that much worse on OG. Bear in mind this sequence features dramatic slowdown. I hope this isn't what's mixing people up.

Conezays

I mean, you do realize the hitting R1 in combination with the different buttons on the controller commands Trico to do specific actions, right? As an example, pressing R1 plus a direction will prompt him to go in that direction. R1 + triangle will ask him to stomp/jump, etc. So if your hitting R1 and waiting around for Trico to "get it" it's no wonder you have issues with the AI. You also have to interpret his sounds and visual cues. When he growls or mumbles, he wants you to jump on his back for instance. His eye color also informs you of his state of mind, etc. I'll stop there because part of the enjoyment of the game is figuring all of this out!

I completed the game last night and outside of one instance where Trico was so fascinated with something in the sky that he wouldn't make a jump for me for a few minutes (I had to call him to go in the direction I wanted, then I hit R1 and X to get him to pay attention and sit down. I pet him a little bit to make his feel at ease and then pointed him in the direction again and he was good) - I had zero issues moving along the game with little frustration. Hell, I stopped at times to just watch Trico interact with the environment. Even the
water puzzles later in the game
went flawlessly once I realized what needed to happen.

Framerate and controls? I can't argue with some of those complaints. Though I'm playing on the Pro at 4K/HDR and it only bogged down noticeably a handful of times. My main control frustration was getting turned around climbing Trico and the O button being a multi-contextual button. Argh! Oh yeah and the camera can indeed be absolutely atrocious at times.

Yes, I understand the additional commands associated with R1, but probably should've mentioned that along with my comment on it. I understood all of the head movements, colours, sounds, etc. but still found the basic gameplay loop to be, "figure out basic puzzle, wait for Trico." It does sound like the PS4Pro experience is quite a bit better so I totally understand having more positive impressions than me.

As for framerate discrepancy stuff, the only thing I can assume (besides the set pieces) is that perhaps Trico's AI is more demanding in certain cases depending where he is and what he's doing. Perhaps this results in some discrepancy between players but I'd say the the framerate issues are *very* noticeable.

Endo Punk

May just be me but these puzzles are real brain scratchers especially when Trico doesn't listen.
So a scenario may involve Trico to follow, jump or dive but if he doesn't listen or it doesn't work first time I try different things which gets even more confusing
. Gotta say though they did a wonderful job making Trico feel like a real animal.
And what a badass set of powers, when I witnesses lightening tail I was at awe,
and then later when
I had to go through a dark area and couldn't see anything, I called over Trico who lit the room with his glow in dark eyes
which I did not expect. This game is awesome!

I'm not doubting you and others are having issues. Just trying to figure out why i didn't. There were frame dips, sure. It was the worst in the heavily wooded areas, for me but luckily they weren't gameplay focused sections. To say people can't tell 30 from 60 is pretty crazy. Even if you couldn't tell from a vid when physically playing, most could tell. Im just wondering if there is some other factor as to why you had severe stutterering and I did not...

Unfortunately lots can't see the difference between 60 and 30. I work in game dev and meet people all the time who can't. Crazy, but true!!

Are you running on a PS4 Pro? There shouldn't be any reason why peoples experiences are different, unless there is a memory leak that is inconsistent whether you get it or not.i

It's the same with any jump in the game - you have to be pretty sure which direction you're pointing (and will stay pointing) for the duration that you execute. The camera plays a big part in that. I usually rotate and steady it to a point that it won't move much when I start to go, and make reasonably certain it's going to stay put while I hold the direction I want to move. It also needs to be kept in mind that a jump takes quite a long button press to exectue, during which time it's easy to accidentally move either the left or right stick and thus throw your direction off.

Planning!

Just played this part on Pro and it was fine. I mean completely fine, I can't imagine it would be that much worse on OG. Bear in mind this sequence features dramatic slowdown. I hope this isn't what's mixing people up.

I need to get a Pro! It was definitely framerate that was the culprit. Perhaps the intentional slow motion exacerbated the look but the framerate was absolutely shocking. Like, as bad as the 5fps on the final boss of Shadow of the Colossus.

bud

been playing it for about 20-30 minutes.

it's a beautiful and magical experience, but the camera is absolutely awful. i'm constantly fighting it.

cyen

Just tried the first hour and my initial impressions are not that great, really hopes it picks up soon:

- Coming from Uncharted Trilogy at 60 fps to this game is striking, the game clearly struggles to maintain 30 fps on PS4 Pro (4k TV) specially on more open areas with folliage, its really choppy and the input lag is rather high because of this. This game could not run well on a ps3 even if massively downgraded, hence why it never realeased, i think that they had a real struggle to run like it is now (sub 30 fps), imagine on a ps3.

- The engine really show its age sometimes but it blends some of the new gen graphical features rather well masking the old gen feel (that textures...urgh..) most of the time. A little disapointed with the racio IQ vs performance. I know i could run on 1080p mode for better fps but thats not why i bought a ps4 pro anyway so will keep it at 1800p.

- The camera is most of the time bad, having to constantly adjust it order to unclock the view from elements of the scenario.

- The popups alerting that i can jump\grab\whatever are really anoyning, i hope they had the option to turn that of in a future patch.

- The menu presentation is weak, i get it that they wanted a minimalistic look, but all i get is some uninspired font on the game backdrop and thats it.

- No controller profiles, triangle to jump? What is this?

+ Animation work on Trico is top notch! Props to the animation team

+ Trico itself has a great design and it really feels alive (again, animation really steals the show)

+ Art Design its pretty good, masking the old gen feel of game most of the time.

I really hope the game changes dramatically because the first hour is really disapointing :\

I have no idea what people are talking about that this looks last gen. It is literally one of the most graphically impressive games I have seen and the IQ is amazing, with super sharp textures even at a distance.

Just got to the
cutscene in the village
. Goddamn man what a wonderful game world.

Sane_Man

So I'm worried I might have encountered a game breaking bug :(

Basically end of game spoilers:
I'm on the huge black goo thing and I've been stuck for like an hour. I hold the shield against it and the goo recedes, but as soon as I let go of the shield and try and climb onto it the goo comes back super fast. I was getting so confused so watched a video of someone doing it and on theirs the goo comes back slowly so you can easily climb up :/ Anyone have any ideas?

:edit: nevermind.. it suddenly worked. No idea what I did differently.

sora87

The camera when you're trying to calm down trico is just insane D:
I have started to get a feel for the whole directing him thing now though.

KevinG

I'm on the huge black goo thing and I've been stuck for like an hour. I hold the shield against it and the goo recedes, but as soon as I let go of the shield and try and climb onto it the goo comes back super fast. I was getting so confused so watched a video of someone doing it and on theirs the goo comes back slowly so you can easily climb up :/ Anyone have any ideas?
Widdle it down just enough to get up. Don't take it down all the way.

Anko

How much do you make the goo recede? Make it recede almost completely. Almost. Not enough to trigger the symbol spam but enough that it's basically a thin layer over the orb. It recovers quickly when it has only receded a little.

If that's what you're doing then.. try going to the previous checkpoint?

Conezays

Yep, I had the same issue. Incredibly frustrating part that doesn't telegraph what it wants you to do very well.

You need to use the mirror on the black goo until it's roughly a quarter or so left? At that point jump onto the cage and climb up. You'd think it wants you to make it recede entirely but nope.

Top Bottom