• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

I have been taking so many screenshots while playing this game. Trico is the best thing ever. I love it when his head gets stuck in a whole lol. Got a trophy for that earlier too :p

ChrisD

Got my copy today. Rather bad first impression, thanks to a glitch. :/

The crevice you're supposed to crawl through in the beginning? The boy wouldn't do it. He would push into the wall and start trying to push it. I laughed at first, because it looked like he was galloping into a wall... Forty minutes later when I finally decided to look up a video walkthrough (since the text walkthrough I looked up thirty minutes in doesn't technically specify which crack) and I saw the boy effortlessly crawl into the space, I reset the game. It worked after that.

Not a deal breaker, but definitely not a good start... And I tried everything. Walking in. Running in. Crawling slowly, crawling fast. Holding X by it. Tapping X by it. Rapidly pressing X by it! Nothing worked until I reset, then it was effortless.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Got my copy today. Rather bad first impression, thanks to a glitch. :/

The crevice you're supposed to crawl through in the beginning? The boy wouldn't do it. He would push into the wall and start trying to push it. I laughed at first, because it looked like he was galloping into a wall... Forty minutes later when I finally decided to look up a video walkthrough (since the text walkthrough I looked up thirty minutes in doesn't technically specify which crack) and I saw the boy effortlessly crawl into the space, I reset the game. It worked after that.

Not a deal breaker, but definitely not a good start... And I tried everything. Walking in. Running in. Crawling slowly, crawling fast. Holding X by it. Tapping X by it. Rapidly pressing X by it! Nothing worked until I reset, then it was effortless.

If anything takes longer than ten minutes its a good chance its a glitch, especially if its something that is obviously not working.

Sami+

The statue is really awesome. Get it before its too late!

Oh yeah I wanted to mention this too. Was really surprised by how nice it was. Very used to cheaper, underwhelming collector's edition goodies. This was excellent.

Edit - ugh can you imagine if this game had photo mode tho

Wow, the part where
You push the shielded mirror off the ramp and then it splinters and then you jump to Trico and it slows down and you think he missed you and then YOU GRAB HIS TAIL AND THE MUSIC SWELLS

Been a long time since a game made me feel that filled with genuine wonder and excitement.

So I finished this last night, and slept on it. End game spoilers obviously..

I'll start with my overall impression, and that is.. The Last Guardian is a heavily floored masterpiece. But a masterpiece nonetheless.

It joins the rank of the last of us, as the only other game to bring a tear to my eye. After that amazing village cutscene, I honestly thought I'd picked the ending. I thought Trico would return the boy to the village, only to be killed by the villagers who weren't aware of the journey that had taken place. I was close.

There are moments in the game that I didnt enjoy at all. I didn't enjoy any of the sections with the warriors, I thought they were clumsily designed. And the section at the end where you face a few waves of them in the arena felt out of place. I also didn't enjoy playing ring around the rosie with them trying to open the elevator door by placing the mirror in the slots. Hated the spam all buttons to escape mechanic as well.

Personally, the boy being stuck in the cage was the low point of the game for me. The concept was great, but I didn't enjoy the execution at all. I had zero fun running and getting that thing to roll around.

I definitely had AI glitches. At one point after the third possession room, Trico was stuck in an infinite loop doing figure 8's. I tried everything, calling, petting, riding and issuing commands.. but nope, unresponsive. Restart checkpoint worked fine, but we can't deny there are issues, and this was just one instance. I had several like this.

The boy's movement.. is not good. I feel like this is the most obvious, and fixable issue for the entire game. Just one more state for movement, a fast walk would've saved the day and inched this game a little closer to perfection. The 2 states we have, creep and sprint, aren't ideal for most of the environment spaces we are asked to navigate.

I don't think I need to go into the camera, as it's obvious that it is close to broken. It even hampers the enjoyment of looking at the world, which is visually stunning and should be able to be enjoyed.

Artistically, this game is in a league of its own. Animation on Trico? Absolutely incredible. It scares me to think what the animation state machine must look like! The lighting and physics on Trico's feathers are amazing, and provide some of gamings most organically beautiful moments.

I know most of my impressions seem negative, but I honestly don't think that matters. The game transcends these things. I played on ps4 Pro, so I can't really comment on performance issues.

And finally Trico. I love this beast.

Salaadin

This might be the most beautiful game ever made. Not just graphically but storywise as well. I haven't felt this way since Shadow of the Colossus...and Ico before that. I'm not even done yet.

Toki767

So good that Trico can catch.

ZkUrctY.gif

zoeGQbH.gif

This might be the most beautiful game ever made. Not just graphically but storywise as well. I haven't felt this way since Shadow of the Colossus...and Ico before that. I'm not even done yet.

I feel that way too, in many respects. And you're going to feel it more once it finally fades to black.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Isn't that what spoiler tags are for tho? I thought the spoiler thread was for people who wanted to know things before even playing the game?
regardless of tags, it makes no sense to put spoilers on a non spoiler thread, who do you think will look at your post? well of course the people that already finished the game and that is why a spoiler thread was created

regardless of tags, it makes no sense to put spoilers on a non spoiler thread, who do you think will look at your post? well of course the people that already finished the game and that is why a spoiler thread was created

Aren't all the people asking for help about certain puzzles in the same boat then? Make a seperate thread for puzzles. Make a seperate thread for backseat moderators while we're at it too.

people, there's a spoiler thread for that reason, get that stuff out of here please

I wanted to discuss an event that some may not have encountered yet. I have also not finished the game. Therefore I do not want to go into the spoiler thread where I may read something (unmarked) that would ruin a future event in the game. So I posted it here, with spoiler tags...

HStallion

So I'm assuming this is late game so don't click, beware!
The part when you think you're getting to the final tower and all the soldiers come swarming out like crazy and you can't do anything because of all the spells coming at you. Then Trico is like fuck you giant stained glass eyeballs! Then Trico FUCKING FLIES! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I Was expecting it at some point as I saw the wings regenerating but it was still amazing! Then the whole struggle to climb into the tower as it crumbles was tense!

This whole sequence was amazing. I keep being blown away by the set pieces and then they step it up with the one after that. Ueda and crew, you're all fucking masters of the craft. That was amazing.

lmbotiva

Aren't all the people asking for help about certain puzzles in the same boat then? Make a seperate thread for puzzles. Make a seperate thread for backseat moderators while we're at it too.
this is not a bad idea, specially for you, since you seem like moderating someone else's opinion and pretty much advocating people to post spoilers everywhere

Where have I posted a single open spoiler? Where have I advocated for spoilers being posted everywhere? It's not a spoiler until you personally make the choice to click the tag and see what's written there. Speaking of opinions, why are you projecting false opinions (that I don't have) on me?

jamsy

So I was really loving this game until I hit
the part where you're trapped in a cage after your encounter with the other trico and you need help from trico to get out of the fucking cage

I honestly haven't been frustrated in the longest fucking time. Like holy shit was this bad. I managed to get out of the fucking cage after the longest time, even though I knew exactly what needed to be done but it just wouldn't fucking work for the longest time. But then the
fucking beast sat down and went nowhere so I had to go down the thing to get him a barrel which involves bringing the helmet back to one of those sentinels who of course chases you and you're powerless and fuck this was frustrating. So I finally get trico the barrel and he just doesn't even know where to go and fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

I couldn't fucking take any more of shit shit. Like seriously, did anyone fucking playtest this part and think this was the way to go? Fuck me.

Mezoly

Just finished the game. I think it is a flawed Masterpiece. The flaws being the framerate and camera, played on the Pro with 4k so the framerate wasn't bad until the end. I thought the controls were fine but the camera might mess with the controls. What it does great does it really well. Incredible setpieces, story, platforming, and soundtrack. This might sound blasphemous, but I thought the setpieces were better than uncharted 4 even the platforming seemed less automatic. Also the game has incredible pacing. Never had any issues with the AI. I have never played Ico and couldn't get into SotC but the Last Guardian is my GOTY and one of my favorite games on this Gen.

HStallion

Just finished the game. I think it is a flawed Masterpiece. The flaws being the framerate and camera, played on the Pro with 4k so the framerate wasn't bad until the end. I thought the controls were fine but the camera might mess with the controls. What it does great does it really well. Incredible setpieces, story, platforming, and soundtrack. This might sound blasphemous, but I thought the setpieces were better than uncharted 4 even the platforming seemed less automatic. Also the game has incredible pacing. Never had any issues with the AI. I have never played Ico and couldn't get into SotC but the Last Guardian is my GOTY and one of my favorite games on this Gen.

The setpieces are amazing. I think they stand out because a lot of the games pace tends to be very relaxed so when they do show up combined with the fact the boy is not Nathan Drake and the platforming isn't as automated makes them fairly tense at times. That and some of them are down right amazing looking which helps

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Where have I posted a single open spoiler? Where have I advocated for spoilers being posted everywhere? It's not a spoiler until you personally make the choice to click the tag and see what's written there. Speaking of opinions, why are you projecting false opinions (that I don't have) on me?
Your spoiler was good. The non-spoilered part gave context that the spoiler will be for people that have finished the game.

I however wouldn't have put criticism of, for example, the camera behind a spoiler tag.

I've not finished yet, but from what I've played so far, if you like this, you'll probably like Ico.
Both games are very similar, although Ico has a stronger focus on combat, which is absolutely terrible, but if it was improved in anyway it'd remove some of the feeling of you playing as a normal kid.

Sami+

I've not finished yet, but from what I've played so far, if you like this, you'll probably like Ico.
Both games are very similar, although Ico has a stronger focus on combat, which is absolutely terrible, but if it was improved in anyway it'd remove some of the feeling of you playing as a normal kid.

This just felt like a better ICO honestly. I'd say if you loved this ICO is definitely worth a shot, but conversely I'm almost positive that anyone who liked ICO would LOVE this.

Shadow of the Colossus is still my favorite but I loved ICO and TLG regardless.

I just finished it today. The game itself is beautiful, but in the end I feel it's a bit of a let down after Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. The gameplay really shows it's age and the story is pretty bland to me. The design (and the overall atmosphere) is absolutely great though.

Your spoiler was good. The non-spoilered part gave context that the spoiler will be for people that have finished the game.

I however wouldn't have put criticism of, for example, the camera behind a spoiler tag.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'm also very sensitive to spoilers, as I don't like things being spoiled for myself. I guess that's why I was extra cautious to just spoiler tag everything.

teokrazia

This might sound blasphemous, but I thought the setpieces were better than uncharted 4

Excluding...
Uncharted 4 incredible Chapter 11

...I'm of the same opinion.

I've just beaten the game aswell.
A flawed, beautiful masterpiece.

GOTY contender for me.

Mik2121

Could anyone confirm if the Japanese version of the game has English language settings?

Thanks!
Couldn't find the option. My PS4 is set to English but the game still played in japanese. Didn't mind but would be nice to have the option since most games have it these days. There's not tons of text though.

Kieli

The game is gorgeous, artistically speaking. Definitely has the characteristic Team Ico aesthetic. I especially love how they rendered the grass, trees, and sunlight in the open glades.

Technically, it's fairly disappointing. While the geometry is quite dense, some of the textures can be a bit blurry and the framerate is pretty bad. Bad enough to give me a headache.

Gameplay wise, it's nothing groundbreaking in terms of puzzle design. It's a combination of Ico with a hint of SoTC. Trico's AI is wonderful, though. It really feels like there's a massive creature by my side.

I may have to upgrade to a PS4 Pro and re-play this game with smooth 30 fps.

Got this game played a couple of hours so far. It's pretty good and Trico is just beautifully animated.

Still, I get a slight headache when playing the game. Part of it is the poor framerate on OG PS4, but I don't think that's all, because I can usually deal with stuff like that, and I felt it also in parts where the framerate was fine. I'm guessing it's related to the camera. The sensitivity seems off. Maybe I should play around with the camera sensitivity a bit.

I had to stop playing when I got stuck for an hour on a ridiculously stupid thing. There were two or three points I thought I could use Trico to reach, but I couldn't. Spent way too much time trying to before I accidentally
fell through a large metal grid which I could have walked through at any point
. That's when I realized I needed some sleep lol

Mezoly

Excluding...
Uncharted 4 incredible Chapter 11

...I'm of the same opinion.

I've just beaten the game aswell.
A flawed, beautiful masterpiece.

GOTY contender for me.

Yeah maybe because they've shown that
setpiece during E3
kinda took away the excitement. Not the game fault. I didn't watch anything for The Last Guardian because I wasn't that excited about it. I needed a third game for the Best Buy deal and it ended up my GOTY. Funny how things work sometimes.

Okay, I need a bit of help here. I think I'm near the end of the game.

I'm at the part where
I just had to shine a light on some big black blob thing, and I've climbed up to the room above it. I already stopped the spinning fan thing so Trico could get up to the top, but now I have no idea what to do. I've tried having Trico shoot the thing in the center, and I've tried calling him, but he wont't move, and there seems to be no solution that I can see.
Is there something obvious I'm missing, or is my game just bugged?

I'm at the part where
I just had to shine a light on some big black blob thing, and I've climbed up to the room above it. I already stopped the spinning fan thing so Trico could get up to the top, but now I have no idea what to do. I've tried having Trico shoot the thing in the center, and I've tried calling him, but he wont't move, and there seems to be no solution that I can see.

From memory
you just need to jump and grab the edge while standing on the spinning platform. It didn't work first go when I did it, so I wasn't sure if it was possible, but it is.

Mezoly

I'm at the part where

Just got stuck there too. Here is what you need to do
Slow the rotating platform again and then quickly jump on the wall surrounding it.

So I was really loving this game until I hit
the part where you're trapped in a cage after your encounter with the other trico and you need help from trico to get out of the fucking cage

I honestly haven't been frustrated in the longest fucking time. Like holy shit was this bad. I managed to get out of the fucking cage after the longest time, even though I knew exactly what needed to be done but it just wouldn't fucking work for the longest time. But then the
fucking beast sat down and went nowhere so I had to go down the thing to get him a barrel which involves bringing the helmet back to one of those sentinels who of course chases you and you're powerless and fuck this was frustrating. So I finally get trico the barrel and he just doesn't even know where to go and fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

I couldn't fucking take any more of shit shit. Like seriously, did anyone fucking playtest this part and think this was the way to go? Fuck me.

You know the way Trico came in?
That's the way out! Sometimes the solution is the most obvious one ;). Also, you can fight back those soldiers.

Deku Tree

The controls in this game are horrible. The camera is atrocious. And Trico is straight up unresponsive a lot of the time. Yes I get that TLG is going for the "frustrating animal" thing. I'm surprised the game scored so high. And I'm surprised Sony let them release it In this form. I'm on chapter 7 and thinking about shelving the game. If TLG wasn't a sequel to Ico and SotC I think it would be getting 5/10s.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
The controls in this game are horrible. The camera is atrocious. And Trico is straight up unresponsive a lot of the time. Yes I get that TLG is going for the "frustrating animal" thing. I'm surprised the game scored so high. And I'm surprised Sony let them release it In this form. I'm on chapter 7 and thinking about shelving the game.

If you aren't enjoying it at this point then it'll only get more frustrating for you later

HStallion

The controls in this game are horrible. The camera is atrocious. And Trico is straight up unresponsive a lot of the time. Yes I get that TLG is going for the "frustrating animal" thing. I'm surprised the game scored so high. And I'm surprised Sony let them release it In this form. I'm on chapter 7 and thinking about shelving the game. If TLG wasn't a sequel to Ico and SotC I think it would be getting 5/10s.

Have you looked at some of the advice we've been giving in the thread?

The Lamp

Finished the game last night. An absolute masterpiece and my GOTY

You know the way Trico came in?
That's the way out! Sometimes the solution is the most obvious one ;). Also, you can fight back those soldiers.

How do you fight them? You can't grab the helmets while they're standing up. Shoving them only knocks them off balance.

Mezoly

How do you know which chapter you are on? Also check some tips in this thread. My best advice is don't spam commands and most of the time Trico will find the way by itself.

Deku Tree

If you aren't enjoying it at this point then it'll only get more frustrating for you later

It just gets kind of dull when you can figure out the puzzle in like 15 seconds but then it takes 15 minutes to get through it because of the controls or the camera or Trico or all of them.

Have you looked at some of the advice we've been giving in the thread?

No I haven't read through the thread. What advice?

How do you know which chapter you are on? Also check some tips in this thread. My best advice is don't spam commands and most of the time Trico will find the way by itself.

I'm going by the IGN wiki guide splitting it into parts. Not reading it first but I am checking it.

Am I missing something when trying to return to a game after I die. I'm rapping on the buttons like I'm doing the 100m dash in Track & Field. Wtf?!

The Lamp

I thought Tricos commands were intuitive 90% of the time. Just stand on his head and point where to go or say jump. Or stand where you need him to be and press R1. It's worked for me the vast majority of the time.

Top Bottom