• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Just picked this up, gonna wait till I have a decent amount of time to get into it. Work tonight and then tomorrow at 3pm, so might start it up Monday and just blow through the game in 2 days.

Have high expectations, especially as I prefer Ico to SotC (but they're both masterpieces).

hold the barrels and walk up to him, he wil eat them out of your hands

I did try that without any luck, and then
climbed the chain to get the other 2 barrels. Not sure why it didn't work the first time I tried, but it's working a charm now! Thanks for the help, I would've been reluctant to try that again

Not sure how far into the game I am but this is easily GotY for me and I'm not even finished yet.

The ending would need to be completely awful to change my mind. I'm totally blown away. The technical issues hurt but this is a once in a generation type of title. I'm willing to overlook the FPS drops when presented with something this bold and carefully crafted.

Not sure how far into the game I am but this is easily GotY for me and I'm not even finished yet.

The ending would need to be completely awful to change my mind. I'm totally blown away. The technical issues hurt but this is a once in a generation type of title. I'm willing to overlook the FPS drops when presented with something this bold and carefully crafted.

Yeah, it really is something special. It's a rare game that I can't argue against people who would give it a 10. And I couldn't argue against people who would give it a 6. There are valid claims for both, but I don't think it really matters. This game will have a lasting impression on the industry regardless. I think I fall somewhere in between both camps at the moment.

r1chard

Camera's a bit of a mess sometimes, and I've had a few moments of frustrating head-scratching trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do, but Trico's engagement with the environment and with me is amazing. And visually amazing environment. Was worth the wait!

I've just done a particularly hair-raising bridge section and found myself cheering the big fella on :-D

Yeah, it really is something special. It's a rare game that I can't argue against people who would give it a 10. And I couldn't argue against people who would give it a 6. There are valid claims for both, but I don't think it really matters. This game will have a lasting impression on the industry regardless. I think I fall somewhere in between both camps at the moment.

I'd give it a 5/10 if we're talking about the sum of all its parts (mostly technical issues) but it's still my game of the generation. And before you wonder why I would give it such a low score despite glowing praise, I don't assign points based on feeling or accomplishment, only the elements that make up the game. However, if you were to ask me to do assign based on feeling, it would be a 9/10.

I'm stuck just a tad past the e3 demo section

the part where trico lays down and you have to go through a gate that had a rail cart jammed holding the door open, you have to throw the food across a few gaps and carry it along the tracks and out the door for him, it's a very tall room with a chain hanging down. When I climb the chain there's a bunch of debreis but no where to go. There's nowhere for trico to go either. Seems we have to traverse upward but I can't find a place for him or I to climb

Please help!

I'm stuck just a tad past the e3 demo section

the part where trico lays down and you have to go through a gate that had a rail cart jammed holding the door open, you have to throw the food across a few gaps and carry it along the tracks and out the door for him, it's a very tall room with a chain hanging down. When I climb the chain there's a bunch of debreis but no where to go. There's nowhere for trico to go either. Seems we have to traverse upward but I can't find a place for him or I to climb

Please help!

Go back inside the mine and pull a rail car over so you can leap and open the gate. Call Trico over to the dark area inside.

Go back inside the mine and pull a rail car over so you can leap and open the gate. Call Trico over to the dark area inside.

there's no rail cart. It's the part right after trico was stuck on a pillar and I had to run past guards in a tower and and lower a draw bridge for Trico. Are you talking about the mine with the food or the one I entered from?

Alienfan

Lol stuck again

giant black stuff/master of the valley. I gather I'm supposed to climb the cage, inching my way forward using the mirror, but the black stuff grows back too quickly

Lol stuck again

giant black stuff/master of the valley. I gather I'm supposed to climb the cage, inching my way forward using the mirror, but the black stuff grows back too quickly

Yeah this part got me too..
if you shrink the black stuff all the way into the core, it grows back too fast. Shrink it to the point just before it makes contact with the core, and it'll grow back slower giving you enough time to climb the cage

there's no rail cart. It's the part right after trico was stuck on a pillar and I had to run past guards in a tower and and lower a draw bridge for Trico. Are you talking about the mine with the food or the one I entered from?

The mine that the food was in the bottom of. You can pull one of the carts over so you can jump and reach the gate switch to let Trico inside. The big chain outside isn't used until later in the game.

Teknoman

So im stuck early on. Its the part where you get near some wooden stairs and you see the
other beast for the first time
above you. I tried to walk across, and the rest of the bridge fell apart. Now its a gap and what looks like some pieces of chain link you might be able to grab on but I dont seem to be able to?

So im stuck early on. Its the part where you get near some wooden stairs and you see the
other beast for the first time
above you. I tried to walk across, and the rest of the bridge fell apart. Now its a gap and what looks like some pieces of chain link you might be able to grab on but I dont seem to be able to?

There's a path going in the opposite direction ...

I'm still pleasantly surprised by Trico, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm the one with the shitty A.I. to his much more competent one. He's very patient considering the bullshit I put him through. For the few times I've gotten stuck, I'd first assumed the problem was with him, but no, every time it's been a problem on my end. I'd realize what I was supposed to do, and he responds immediately. He's an refreshingly subtle asset to problem solving, with him looking or often settling in the direction you're supposed to go. I know it may not always be the case judging by some comments I've seen with some glitches, but thus far I've always found that if I try something once or two twice and he doesn't respond, it means I'm going about the puzzle wrong. I've found it creates a really good flow, because I don't stand around second guessing myself like I do with a lot of puzzle games, and I'll just go try something else. The butterflies are a nice atmospheric and subtle asset to problem solving, too, and also keeps the gameplay flow going.

I generally stay off of Trico's back, too, and find that works extremely well, because he's naturally curious as to what you're up to, and likes being with you (my bb), so it makes it fairly straightforward to direct him. It never gets old to be running along, press L1, and just watch him curiously lumbering along behind you with those big, beautiful eyes. I really felt like the game was going to be a lot more stop and start than it is, but again, I'm really enjoying the flow. I know it might change with some of the puzzles later, but I've been very pleased for now. I've also spent a bit of time watching Trico, waiting to see if the 'illusion of life' ever breaks with a clunky transition between animated sequences, or an abrupt A.I. action transition, or his model getting auto-pushed into place so the next step in the puzzle could be completed... I've seen very little thus far, he's an absolute marvel.

I think it's also the most invested I've been in the story of any Ueda's games, I'm so incredibly curious to see how it all unfolds. I was kind of there with Ico and Yorda, and maybe less with SotC because the world itself (and Agro!) were so compelling that the story didn't really matter. Belated plot spoiler from early on in the game that has still really stuck with me - I genuinely yelped in surprise
when controlled Trico seemingly ate the boy/or tried to eat the boy. I thought I'd triggered a game over by not moving the kid quick enough, I was horrified. I also thought I'd missed a barrel to feed him to calm him down afterwards, as of course he was extremely unimpressed about being patted whilst I was on the ground. When I climbed on his back, and managed to calm him down that way, it was hard to stop the ol' lump appearing in the throat as he calmed down and turned to inquisitively look at the kid. I think I left the kid there for a good thirty seconds, just patting Trico.
In games, no matter how likeable your companions are, it's pretty impossible to suspend your disbelief that you're interacting with a living creature. He's not perfect, but Trico starts to blur those lines for me in a way a game never has before.

At any rate, I'm not only attached to Trico, but also to the little kid, and I really enjoy the kid's dialogue and the narration. He's got some really nice and subtle animation, and genuinely has a personality, I never really cared for Ico or Wander as characters. l I felt absolutely terrible when I dropped the kid from too much of a height, and he clutched his leg pain, then limped around. I thought it was a brilliant punishment for the player than the kid dying - it slowed your progress because the kid was in pain, and (hopefully) made you feel kinda shitty that you were the one that did it to him.

On the OG PS4, there's only been one area that the frame rate really dropped a lot (lot of grass), but even the other grassy areas haven't been as bad. I had been concerned about playing it on my OG PS4, but I don't regret it. Regardless, I'll enjoy a replay on the Pro somewhere down the line. As people have said, I wish there was an in between animation between sneaking and running for the kid, it's a bit of an odd choice. My only other big complaints are the tutorial and the camera. I've gotten a lot more used to the camera, but I think it's only real big issue that brings the game down a bit. I also think I've found the control tips on GAF a lot more useful than those in game, and I think it's one of the reasons people are having a lot more trouble with Trico than the need to. Otherwise, my very high expectations have been exceeded thus far. Trico could have been clunky and soulless, but he's an incredible achievement. I've also loved a lot of the level design, and the subtle environmental direction to lead you to the next point is fantastic. I wish the soundtrack was more frequent, but it's fantastic when it does play.

I'm still pleasantly surprised by Trico, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm the one with the shitty A.I. to his much more competent one. He's very patient considering the bullshit I put him through. For the few times I've gotten stuck, I'd first assumed the problem was with him, but no, every time it's been a problem on my end. I'd realize what I was supposed to do, and he responds immediately. He's an refreshingly subtle asset to problem solving, with him looking or often settling in the direction you're supposed to go. I know it may not always be the case judging by some comments I've seen with some glitches, but thus far I've always found that if I try something once or two twice and he doesn't respond, it means I'm going about the puzzle wrong. I've found it creates a really good flow, because I don't stand around second guessing myself like I do with a lot of puzzle games, and I'll just go try something else. The butterflies are a nice atmospheric and subtle asset to problem solving, too, and also keeps the gameplay flow going.

I generally stay off of Trico's back, too, and find that works extremely well, because he's naturally curious as to what you're up to, and likes being with you (my bb), so it makes it fairly straightforward to direct him. It never gets old to be running along, press L1, and just watch him curiously lumbering along behind you with those big, beautiful eyes. I really felt like the game was going to be a lot more stop and start than it is, but again, I'm really enjoying the flow. I know it might change with some of the puzzles later, but I've been very pleased for now. I've also spent a bit of time watching Trico, waiting to see if the 'illusion of life' ever breaks with a clunky transition between animated sequences, or an abrupt A.I. action transition, or his model getting auto-pushed into place so the next step in the puzzle could be completed... I've seen very little thus far, he's an absolute marvel.

I think it's also the most invested I've been in the story of any Ueda's games, I'm so incredibly curious to see how it all unfolds. I was kind of there with Ico and Yorda, and maybe less with SotC because the world itself (and Agro!) were so compelling that the story didn't really matter. Belated plot spoiler from early on in the game that has still really stuck with me - I genuinely yelped in surprise
when controlled Trico seemingly ate the boy/or tried to eat the boy. I thought I'd triggered a game over by not moving the kid quick enough, I was horrified. I also thought I'd missed a barrel to feed him to calm him down afterwards, as of course he was extremely unimpressed about being patted whilst I was on the ground. When I climbed on his back, and managed to calm him down that way, it was hard to stop the ol' lump appearing in the throat as he calmed down and turned to inquisitively look at the kid. I think I left the kid there for a good thirty seconds, just patting Trico.
In games, no matter how likeable your companions are, it's pretty impossible to suspend your disbelief that you're interacting with a living creature. He's not perfect, but Trico starts to blur those lines for me in a way a game never has before.

At any rate, I'm not only attached to Trico, but also to the little kid, and I really enjoy the kid's dialogue and the narration. He's got some really nice and subtle animation, and genuinely has a personality, I never really cared for Ico or Wander as characters. l I felt absolutely terrible when I dropped the kid from too much of a height, and he clutched his leg pain, then limped around. I thought it was a brilliant punishment for the player than the kid dying - it slowed your progress because the kid was in pain, and (hopefully) made you feel kinda shitty that you were the one that did it to him.

On the OG PS4, there's only been one area that the frame rate really dropped a lot (lot of grass), but even the other grassy areas haven't been as bad. I had been concerned about playing it on my OG PS4, but I don't regret it. Regardless, I'll enjoy a replay on the Pro somewhere down the line. As people have said, I wish there was an in between animation between sneaking and running for the kid, it's a bit of an odd choice. My only other big complaints are the tutorial and the camera. I've gotten a lot more used to the camera, but I think it's only real big issue that brings the game down a bit. I also think I've found the control tips on GAF a lot more useful than those in game, and I think it's one of the reasons people are having a lot more trouble with Trico than the need to. Otherwise, my very high expectations have been exceeded thus far. Trico could have been clunky and soulless, but he's an incredible achievement. I've also loved a lot of the level design, and the subtle environmental direction to lead you to the next point is fantastic. I wish the soundtrack was more frequent, but it's fantastic when it does play.

This is wonderful post, and echoes my sentiments as well. I'm in love with this game. It really is wonderful. I never seen anything quite like Trico in a game, it really is something. A revelation and a massive achievement. Like you, the attachment i have towards both trico and the boy is something i rarely find in video games. I didn't even have that connection between Ellie and Joel in TLOU.

I don't think i cried out at a game in delight as much as i have with this game. And from an art design perspective it really is a true successor to Ico and SoTC. It so dense and interesting to look at. It is one that game is not afraid to leave rooms empty in terms of content, the visual design is so good you just want to look at it and take it in.

Regarding Framerate issues, i too haven't had issues with it either on the OG PS4. I'm being honest here too. I have had it In two places in about 4/5 hours playtime. I feel that element is being really overplayed, and i worry that people are missing out on this over nothing. The first time you go outside, and then a bit later on where you have to traverse amongst some beams are the only times i have experienced some drops. But then again i am generally immune to frame rate drops or it doesn't spoilt my enjoyment of a game.

I'm wondering if perhaps the people having more issues are perhaps treating it like a third person twin stick sort of game? I have to check next time i play, but i don't think i really touch the camera controls that much. The game directs you. I don't think i touch the right analogue stick when i'm moving. When i enter a new area i kind of survey it standing still first and then go to where i need to. Because there is a lot climbing and shimmying etc the camera is often placed in purposeful positions. The action is meant to be slow and methodical, when you command trico his animation set takes a good 10-20 seconds at time , and on purpose. Here i don't really touch the controls either, the camera takes charge when he makes his jumps. Sometimes i look from a to b but thats it. I don't think in general the camera is meant to be moved that often, that why the camera itself is quite stiff.

nny

Went through a part during dusk...oh my science the lighting.

XQ2pV1r.png

(I don't consider them spoiler-y, but just in case...)

Yup this nails everything on the head for me. Also I'm playing on the OG PS4 and i was expecting really bad results but like you said there were a few areas where it really dipped but I wasn't in these areas for too long anyway, so it didn't bother me all that much.

Trico is an absolute delight though and I can't get over how good his animation is. I think once his head glitched out a bit, but that has been the only immersion breaking thing that happened in regard to him.

This is wonderful post, and echoes my sentiments as well. I'm in love with this game. It really is wonderful. I never seen anything quite like Trico in a game, it really is something. A revelation and a massive achievement. Like you, the attachment i have towards both trico and the boy is something i rarely find in video games. I didn't even have that connection between Ellie and Joel in TLOU.

I don't think i cried out at a game in delight as much as i have with this game. And from an art design perspective it really is a true successor to Ico and SoTC. It so dense and interesting to look at. It is one that game is not afraid to leave rooms empty in terms of content, the visual design is so good you just want to look at it and take it in.

Regarding Framerate issues, i too haven't had issues with it either on the OG PS4. I'm being honest here too. I have had it In two places in about 4/5 hours playtime. I feel that element is being really overplayed, and i worry that people are missing out on this over nothing. The first time you go outside, and then a bit later on where you have to traverse amongst some beams are the only times i have experienced some drops. But then again i am generally immune to frame rate drops or it doesn't spoilt my enjoyment of a game.

I'm wondering if perhaps the people having more issues are perhaps treating it like a third person twin stick sort of game? I have to check next time i play, but i don't think i really touch the camera controls that much. The game directs you. I don't think i touch the right analogue stick when i'm moving. When i enter a new area i kind of survey it standing still first and then go to where i need to. Because there is a lot climbing and shimmying etc the camera is often placed in purposeful positions. The action is meant to be slow and methodical, when you command trico his animation set takes a good 10-20 seconds at time , and on purpose. Here i don't really touch the controls either, the camera takes charge when he makes his jumps. Sometimes i look from a to b but thats it. I don't think in general the camera is meant to be moved that often, that why the camera itself is quite stiff.

Great impressions, although I would like to touch on the camera. If you want to go and take photos or you're trying to get some discovery of the world, it can be a hindrance.

As people have said, I wish there was an in between animation between sneaking and running for the kid, it's a bit of an odd choice.

The only way I can see this is that it's a comment on the way kids at this age only really have two gears, and an uncompromising method to get you closer to the character you play as.

Just one way to read it. It's an interesting question, how far backwards you're prepared to bend and still proclaim something that works against you to be genius!

Nice imps, btw

Deku Tree

Made it to chapter
six
. Taking it slow. A little bit each night.

I don't know if the game has chapters. But IGN breaks their guide up into chapters.

I don't look at the guide much but if I try for a while and I can't find a puzzle, and it appears painfully obvious that I am waiting for Trico to do something but it's not happening then I look in the guide. So far all the puzzles have been very easy.

Loving the game, i feel like i'm finally getting to grips with all the nuances of the control scheme now i've played it for a few hours, haven't had any trouble with Trico at all really.

Got a few questions though.. What does R1+X do and can i open these blue doors?

hemo memo

Gold Member
When they talk about performance I always play those games and think GAF is just exaggerating.. Assassin's Creed Unity, Final Fantasy 15, Fallout 4,Witcher 3 etc.. But I'm playing on base PS4 and the game is fun and all but the performance is really really bad. Not unplayable bad but very noticeable. It ruined some of the beautiful moments in the game.

silva1991

Loving the game, i feel like i'm finally getting to grips with all the nuances of the control scheme now i've played it for a few hours, haven't had any trouble with Trico at all really.

No. Those are like the shadows holes from ICO.

MrHoot

R1+X if i recall is to stop trico from doing whatever he's doign (it's a cancel). It's also the dickhead button, as spamming it makes him look sad.

The blue doors are where the sentinels bring you if you get caught, so better stay away from them if you're near a sentinel !

AzureFlame

The scene where Trico is sad trying to revive the boy and put him in water is amazing.. the moment he realize he's alive he jumps out of happiness T_T soo good.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Got the game as a present, disc version, but seems like my blu ray drive is busted. This sucks. A lot. Fuuuuuuuuck.

Drencrom

Is there hope for a patch that will improve the base PS4 performance? Not sure if getting a PS4 Pro is worth it just for a stable 30fps experience lol

People keep talking about waiting for the game to be patched for better performance, but is that really likely in this case? The game's been in production on and off for 10 years, it runs the fuck way it runs. Not to say you ought to be happy with it, but it seems an odd thing to say you're waiting for.

brawly

Endgame question

After feeding Trico the four barrels he's still down. There's still a prompt showing up for removing a spear but the spear is on the side that he's lying on. Can't see it. Annoying af.

ScOULaris

Yeah, as much as it saddens me the reality is that if they could just snap their fingers and make the game run at a more stable framerate they would've found a way to have done it during the long road to release. I would be thrilled if this gets addressed in a patch, but I'm not expecting anything.

How hopelessly lost would I be if I play the Japanese version? It didn't bother me in Ico and SoTC so I want to get the JPN version of this as well.

Anyone? I just need to know how much text/dialog heavy the story is. Something like SoTC or goes way beyond that?

silva1991

Anyone? I just need to know how much text/dialog heavy the story is. Something like SoTC or goes way beyond that?

The boy talks as much as the boy from ICO and the narrator gives hints like Dormin from SoTC.

Not really text heavy.

The only difference between this game and the rest is that the narrator does sometimes talks about the story thought out the game.

Bloody Christmas post! Game was despatched Wednesday from Shopto and still hasn't arrived, had most of this weekend free and now it'll come Monday when I'm back at work. So annoying. Was hyped as hell to blitz this.

It's a little clunky and the camera is problematic quite a lot of the time. But it certainly feels like a Team Ico game and has a nice mixture of Ico and SotC gameplay rolled in to one.

Trico is very special and I love watching him and his movement/abilities and you get a certain emotion and connection with him throughout. Although sometimes you have to fight on a touch to get him to do what you want.

Puzzles wise the game makes you think a lot about surroundings and the environment but a few times it's not very apparent at all what you need to do, certainly as you are learning things initially.

Graphically it's nice, again the art style is very reminiscent of Team Ico's past games. Nothing mind blowing so far though or too varied. Though I'm not that far so that could change.

A lot of the trophies look like they'd take some work which I certainly don't have the patience for these days so that's a shame really.

There is a barrel I can't reach. Any pointers please!!

I just used a cart to fire myself up through a large grating in the ceiling. Trico has gone through a gate I opened and there is a guard with purple mist in the wall and behind it is a barrel. I can't seem to get over it, or command Trico to smash it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ostinatto

There is a barrel I can't reach. Any pointers please!!

I just used a cart to fire myself up through a large grating in the ceiling. Trico has gone through a gate I opened and there is a guard with purple mist in the wall and behind it is a barrel. I can't seem to get over it, or command Trico to smash it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

you mean a
headless armor statue? you need to bring a helmet.

Top Bottom