• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Cess007

I'd time to play for a while today. Reached the 2nd time
Trico eats you, and triggers the second flashback. My god, I don't want this game to end ever!

Is my game glitched?

I'm at the part where
I'm stuck in a tree, with Trico below me. No matter how many times I call him or struggle, he will not fucking jump up to help me. I know what's supposed to happen, and he's not doing it. And the game won't even allow me to point him to where he's supposed to jump. I've been here for 30 minutes calling to him and struggling in the tree like an idiot.

Any help? Pls :(

Be sure to look to where you want Trico to jump (above you, in this case) when you call for him. There is when I understood that you guide Trico with the camera, not only with the boy. Once you learn this, controlling and making Trico does what you want becomes a breeze.

SubbieD

Some spots have bad framerate, mainly the area at the beginning with some trees and other foliage moving while in an open area, but for around 80% of the game the framerate is not that terrible. It's not 30 constantly either, though.. but I think most people here kind of felt OK with it seeing how otherwise this is a pretty damn great game.

That and the camera are my only complaints and I still loved the game.

No I'm not a 30 FPS hoe as such, so sounds like this won't be too bad. I was just afraid of some 10-15 FPS zones which is a real downer. But 100% getting this next :D

Withnail

Finished it last night. Will probably write up more thoughts later but suffice to say I went from complaining about the controls on Friday to falling in love with it and now I think it's one of my all time favourites.

The story was really great but I didn't want it to end. So many memorable moments along the way. Leaping around with Trico was a rush right to the end.

Hope Ueda stays in gaming. I'm so impressed that he has obviously refused to compromise on his vision. We need people like that to push the medium on.

Rozart

If anyone has a gif of the little boy marching on the spot, please do share them with me! He's seriously too cute when he's doing that lil animation.

It is to my continued baffled amusement that, on OG PS4, the boy can be platforming in incomprehensibly giant and detailed areas with huge draw distances with even goddamn Trico (with all his goddamn feathers) bouncing around in the background without any noticeable framerate drops. There was one moment in particular when he was quite small and far away, and the framerate was completely stable. Since the scene was seamless/without a cutscene, and I could still see his feathers shifting in the breeze, I would assume it was still Trico's usual detailed model? It's such a bizarre contrast to earlier in the game with small outdoor areas with no draw distance, and the OG PS4 is suddenly in a panicked state of 'brace yourself, boys, we're about to experience some nasty frame rate drops!' I could have done without the pretty grass, it's really the only time the frame rate annoys me. Thankfully, the grass is few and far between. I was concerned the frame rate was going to tank in the open areas, and the open areas seem to have some of the most solid frame rates in the game.

On a cuter Trico/boy interaction note, I didn't realize that Trico would sometimes
put the boy on his back after catching him. I'm assuming it's because Trico was sitting on a smaller platform?
I still gave him lots of pats. After the genDesign tweet about cleaning his feathers via patting him, I spent about two minutes after booting up the game doing just that.

Anyone play this with surround sound? Does it support 7.1? Just wondering how good the mix is.

I've just got 5.1 surround sound badly set-up placement wise, and it's still pretty fantastic. Trico's vocalizations are extremely well done. If he's off-screen and following along behind the boy, there's been quite a few times where it genuinely sounded like Trico himself was right behind me. A few of his bellows have really made me jump, thanks, Trico. Sometimes I don't bother to use surround sound with games, because it doesn't always seem worth it, but TLG has exceeded my expectations thus far.

Had to stay up late to finish it tonight. I just couldn't put the controller down lol what a fantastic game and that ending was excelent. Can't wait to start a new playthrough tomorrow.

SirNinja

Any thoughts on the timeline with regard to the other two games and how they're all related?

Just speculation at this point, and not even that much of it. There's far less connecting this game to either of Ueda's other works than SotC had connections to Ico. Of note, however:
this is the only Ueda game where humans aren't seen using domesticated horses, so this could be a very distant prequel.

NYmanutd

I think i'm like half way through but
Ueda san has truly a unique talent in the video game industry, i can already tell this game will live with me forever

Robot Pants

Definitely my game of the year. Despite the clunky controls and camera this game made me feel like nothing else. And man does it look GORGEOUS towards the end my god.
Anyway 11/10 can't wait to play it again.

Just started playing this game today. Couldnt let go the controller till the wife complained. This game is absolutely wonderful and trico is quite possibly the most memorable videogame character i have the chance to see/play with/pet. Fucking loveable beast holy shit, was hooked and loved him when i trough the barrel and he ate it without it touching the floor. Loved it. Goddammit this game.. I wanna play again but the wife is watching Castle. Fuck Castle.

I think i petted trico at least 50 times already.

I'm at the part where the boy and Trico
have just fallen through the temple ceiling after encountering another Trico on the cliffs. The boy is stuck in a tree now and you have to call Trico for help.

How far from the end am I? Got a few hours after work to play tonight and wondered if it's doable?

ys45

So I must be at 4-5 hours now maybe less and the game is so much better than what I was expecting, after reading some of the comments here I was getting worried .

The game is really special and as a cats/dog owner it's funny to see Trico act exactly like these two type of animals .
It's also funny how the fact that Trico doesn't act righ away when you give him a command and it's like normal to me because that's exactly the way it is with my pets lol .

Why do I get the feeling I will be sad by the end of the game ?

Ratrat

I'm at the part where the boy and Trico
have just fallen through the temple ceiling after encountering another Trico on the cliffs. The boy is stuck in a tree now and you have to call Trico for help.

How far from the end am I? Got a few hours after work to play tonight and wondered if it's doable?
Half or less.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Goddamn. That's actually really great news. I was worried as someone else had mentioned the E3 demo section was the half way point and I was thinking the game seemed pretty short on that basis.

Its a very meaty game. There were several points I thought I was near the endgame but turned out I was nowhere close.

ced

SEVEN YEARS.

I WAITED SEVEN YEARS FOR THIS.

THE GAMESTOP I PRE-ORDERED AT CLOSED. MY RECEIPT IS FADED. I HAD TWO PS3S AND A PS4 WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT. I HAVE MET THE WOMAN OF MY DREAMS IN THAT TIME. I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED MANY THINGS I AM PROUD OF IN THAT TIME. I HAVE WAITED SO LONG, SINCE THE MOMENT THAT SIXTEENTH COLOSSUS WENT DOWN, I HAVE WAITED, WITH ABATED BREATH, LONG KNOWN AS THE BIGGEST SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS FAN IN MANY FORUMS.

FRIENDS.

FAMILY.

LOVED ONES.

THE TIME. HAS. COME.

GODSPEED.

Edit: I went out and bought some expensive ass wine for this

You should keep waiting for another patch

bumpkin

After giving up hope that the GAF'er (who's banned and not answering emails) who sold me the CE would come through, I went out and picked up a regular copy of the game on my way home from work yesterday. Against my better judgment, I fired it up around 11pm last night and didn't turn it off until well after 1am; an hour and change later than I usually stay up on a work night. I'm exhausted this morning, but I can't wait to get home later and play it some more.

Outside of telling you a button does something here and there, I like how it's not particularly hand holding. I got to rooms where I literally had no idea what to do and through exploration and some trial and error, conquered the obstacles in my way and pressed on.

The only part that was a little annoying was when Trico lost his shit after attacking those stone statues. I was trying everything but the obvious. The game didn't tell me I could "pat" Trico until I fumbled about for a good 20 minutes or so and finally decided to climb him to see if I could reach any higher ledges (like where the switch/lever was).

My biggest concern going into the game was the frame rate, which has been decent for the most part. Certainly not perfect, but not SotC caliber chuggy either. I made sure to quit/close the game before putting my PS4 into rest mode. There's some iffy texture work on some parts I've played leading me to believe that the PS4's extra horsepower went into other unseen stuff, but I can't even imagine how this would have looked on PS3. And much to my chagrin, the camera is a real son of a bitch at times.

I don't know if i'd say it was worth the wait, but I'm certainly enjoying it. Time will tell.

Also, what in the hell are trophies attached to? Spoilers I'm guessing? I didn't have a single one pop up during my two hours-ish of play.

Blinck

Just finished this... absolutely loved it. The game has a lot of heart, and a lot of work poured into every single part.

After all these years I thought the game couldn't live up to my expectations...but not only it lived up to them, but it also surpassed them in some ways.
The framerate sometimes was awful on OG ps4 ( the last 15 minutes it runs at like 15 fps), but even though I'm super sensitive to that, when it comes to this game I honestly didn't give a shit after a while. I'm able to excuse these technical flaws because the game hits so many notes just right...

I'll have to finish the game again to give my proper thoughts, but overall I absolutely loved it and there are a lot of things that other games should learn from this.

The ending is also absolutely great...the soundtrack...my god..

Team Ico is the best!

dvolovets

Beat the game last night. IMO, it is a marvel of game design and unlike any other game I have ever played. I am normally very nitpicky when it comes to technical issues but I honesty didn't care here -- yes the framerate was choppy, yes the camera was awful, but it makes me said that our modern reviewing culture means that the game gets slapped with lower scores because of this and equated with something like Final Fantasy XIII (sorry, no offense to any fans, just the first game I thought of) on MetaCritic when it is leagues beyond any other game I can think of purely as an artistic statement. An absolute must-play. Side note, my dad watched me play through the entire game and this was the first game we played together since I was a kid...

Maffis

Finished it last night. What an amazing game. It felt so different to play and Trico was just amazing to watch. I have to say that the controls could sometimes really frustrate me and the performance issues at the end were a bummer, but luckily the game is patient with you and you rarely have to redo parts.

BeeDog

I just recalled all those initial reports that the game might be 5-6 hours long. I'm so damn glad the game is so meaty.

I just recalled all those initial reports that the game might be 5-6 hours long. I'm so damn glad the game is so meaty.

It can be pretty short if you know what you're doing and Trico cooperates with zero issues.

I loved the game in the end, but I know my playtime went up by several hours simply due to Trico not cooperating.

HStallion

I figured people here would be interested but Simon Parkin's full interview with Fumito Ueda has been released and its full of details. I made a thread on gaming side if anyone is interested, some excerpts from the interview:

Parkin: Did you work hard at school, or were you distracted by the drawing?

Ueda: It’s true: I was probably known as that kid who just liked to draw in the corner. My grades were not the best, but they weren’t the worst, either. From the outside, people would know me as, more or less, a quiet student. I didn’t stand out much, that’s for sure.

Parkin: Which artists did you admire?

Ueda: Maybe not an artist, per-se, but I was a fan of manga artists. Especially Fujiko Fujio, the creator of Doraemon. I’d go out and get tiny, thick notebooks and draw flick comics starring Doraemon. I was so into doing that. I’d draw a hundred pages at a time. As with anyone, when you’re growing up your interests change over time. Through elementary school into junior high and on to university my tastes changed from Doraemon to, say, Katsuhiro Otomo.

But here’s a thing I just remembered. The first Doraemon movie was titled “Nobita’s Dinosaur”. In that film a dinosaur hatches from the egg. Slowly they become friendly. There’s a similar nuance in Trico, between the young boy and the creature. There are similarities there.

Parkin: All three of your major works have been long projects that have become, at some point during their development, delayed. How have you convinced higher-ups to continue to back your games, even when they’re in trouble and, presumably, costing more money than originally anticipated?

Ueda: For the team and staff, back then internally, the team was called Yoshida Group. It was Shuhei Yoshida’s group. We had healthy competition in terms of pitches and showcases. We’d show each other what we’re working on. Our team would put together our current status in a video, with a soundtrack to create a target mood piece to present to everyone else at the office to show either our current status or where we’re going. Those were special moments for us, even when we were weary. People’s reaction would always reinvigorate the team.

Parkin: Last year I met with From Software’s Hidetaka Miyazaki. He told me that he decided to enter the video game industry after playing Ico. In fact, he transitioned from another industry entirely. How does it feel to have influenced such well-respected creators in such a profound manner?

Ueda: I am honoured to hear that. As I mentioned, to keep my motivation going I do the same. I don’t travel or go out drinking. The source of my energy is other people’s creative work. Wow. Yes. That really is an honour. You don’t hear that every day. Thank you for telling me.

https://medium.com/@SimonParkin/fumito-ueda-colossus-in-the-shadow-80e200a727dd#.l2lbmu6si

I'm stuck and i feel stupid

Got a blue pot and attached it to a chain where ico pulls on it. I'm in the bext room behind the door that trico pulled but now i'm stuck and trico stays on the other side biting the pot or letting go wich closes the door. help?

HStallion

I'm stuck and i feel stupid

Got a blue pot and attached it to a chain where ico pulls on it. I'm in the bext room behind the door that trico pulled but now i'm stuck and trico stays on the other side biting the pot or letting go wich closes the door. help?

You should look around the room and see what you can interact with.

Who do you guys think would be the best person to tweet at/suggest a patch to remove the button prompts? They are the only blemish on what is to me an otherwise perfect experience.

HStallion

Who do you guys think would be the best person to tweet at/suggest a patch to remove the button prompts? They are the only blemish on what is to me an otherwise perfect experience.

Honestly I'm not sure, I don't even have a twitter account lol. Perhaps Yoshida?

Got the game today ( finally after late fucking shipment) and have been playing non-stop since then.

Already can tell that this is a game I will never forget, Trico and the relation between him and the boy are just sooo good.

Gotta say tho, fps drops and camera issues didn't really bother me that much in any game before and I thought GAF was overreacting, but goddamn son those fps drops...

Still enjoying the fuck out of the game.

bumpkin

I don't think the prompts are bad when they are pointing out something you can do for the first time, but yeah, the subsequent ones for actions you've done over and over are when they get annoying.

watdaeff4

Finished it up.

Very enjoyable and moving game, esp for pet lovers.
This isn't really a spoiler IMO, but not taking chances - but to see the love grow between Trico and the boy is outstanding

Only compliant is the controls - the hyperbole is a bit real, but still not great controls, esp for the player character. Trico's commands you just have to be patient with, but at times can still be frustrating.

Again in summary, great game, the only thing IMO that kept it from being one of my all time top 10 greats are the controls.

Ozorov

Just done with it.

Bravo "Team Ico". It had it's flaws in controlls etc but overall its superb imo. It may not be the best PS4 exclusive out there but its my favorite.

Top Bottom