• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Shin-Ra

30783326294_47217428f2_o.png
TroyMeme.gif
The kind eye gets me every time.

SlickVic

It is to my continued baffled amusement that, on OG PS4, the boy can be platforming in incomprehensibly giant and detailed areas with huge draw distances with even goddamn Trico (with all his goddamn feathers) bouncing around in the background without any noticeable framerate drops. There was one moment in particular when he was quite small and far away, and the framerate was completely stable. Since the scene was seamless/without a cutscene, and I could still see his feathers shifting in the breeze, I would assume it was still Trico's usual detailed model? It's such a bizarre contrast to earlier in the game with small outdoor areas with no draw distance, and the OG PS4 is suddenly in a panicked state of 'brace yourself, boys, we're about to experience some nasty frame rate drops!' I could have done without the pretty grass, it's really the only time the frame rate annoys me. Thankfully, the grass is few and far between. I was concerned the frame rate was going to tank in the open areas, and the open areas seem to have some of the most solid frame rates in the game.

On a cuter Trico/boy interaction note, I didn't realize that Trico would sometimes
put the boy on his back after catching him. I'm assuming it's because Trico was sitting on a smaller platform?
I still gave him lots of pats. After the genDesign tweet about cleaning his feathers via patting him, I spent about two minutes after booting up the game doing just that.

I've just got 5.1 surround sound badly set-up placement wise, and it's still pretty fantastic. Trico's vocalizations are extremely well done. If he's off-screen and following along behind the boy, there's been quite a few times where it genuinely sounded like Trico himself was right behind me. A few of his bellows have really made me jump, thanks, Trico. Sometimes I don't bother to use surround sound with games, because it doesn't always seem worth it, but TLG has exceeded my expectations thus far.

Thanks I will play this when I have access to surround sound. That sounds pretty great.

Just finished it.

I enjoyed the ending. Definitely felt emotional and you definitely get attached to Trico and the boy. Thought the story was good and kind of sad to finish it up.

Overall it was a good but not completely great game. Trico certainly made it and on the whole was a marvel. But there were a few too many frustrations with the game design at times including the controls and what has to be one of the worst cameras in a game for quite some time.

Despite those problems it's well worth a play and some gameplay moments and Trico are very memorable, lovely and needs to be experienced.

Putty

What a sensational last quarter of the game! Made me forget the awful swimming section...Music as well during the last quarter is god tier...VERY Thomas Newman...

Stheo

Neo Member
I managed to glitch the game in a pretty hilarious way. Apparantly I made a jump that was not supposed to be possible, which allowed me to open a blocked-off door prematurely. When this happened, the physics started glitching heavily and then the game completely froze.

At this point I just thought "welp, shouldn't have done that I guess" and was about to reset my PS4, but suddenly after like 20 sec the game recovered, but... uh let's just say certain parts were no longer bound by the laws of physics.

I managed to get a video clip of this and uploaded it for your viewing pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af0CNzwhXKU

(not really spoilery, about halfway in but only shows part of one room with nothing special in it)

Then I suddenly realized the game might have autosaved and got really scared my savefile would be screwed up, so I reloaded from last checkpoint and the game luckily fixed itself (with the puzzle solved the right way automatically even!)

JonnyKong

How on earth do I make myself fall asleep? I know I need to in order to make the game progress. I've fed Trico the four barrels
right after I've got my mirror back
and nothing is happening.

cm osi

How on earth do I make myself fall asleep? I know I need to in order to make the game progress. I've fed Trico the four barrels
right after I've got my mirror back
and nothing is happening.

you're talking about the part after
the battle between the 2 trico?

i remember healing his wound, removing the spears and feeding him 3 barrels, then the cutscene started

JonnyKong

you're talking about the part after
the battle between the 2 trico?

i remember healing his wound, removing the spears and feeding him 3 barrels, then the cutscene started

I think it must have been a glitch because I've just repeated the whole scene again from checkpoint, and it worked the second time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I love the moment when Trico's about to jump and you're on him, there's so much weight to his movement. I think half my time in this game is spent just staring at him. I'm at the part where
we kept diving but got seperated after a water section, just called a lift down.

Also noticed that
Trico's horns are slowly growing back.
The only thing I really dislike so far is the button mashing when you get caught.

SCB3

After 3-4 hours I'm finding the game to be a bit slow/sluggish going, I mean it clearly was a early PS3 game, but I'm finding it hard to get through. Hopefully I'm just burnt out after all the holiday releases (I actually skipped DR4 for this) I may go back to this after finished FFXV or after xmas during the slower months

balohna

I just got past something, but I don't understand what actually happened.

Water stuff, had to dive under a gate to climb a ladder and pull a switch. The switch opens a gate right in front of me. It didn't change my situation as far as I could see, so I assumed it was a red herring meant to teach me about diving so I could get Trico to dive to the next room. In the next room there is another similar switch, and Trico can help you reach it by diving in the water. Again, I just saw a gate open pointlessly in front of me. I thought I saw an opening under water on the other side of the room, so I kept getting Trico to go over there but he wouldn't dive. He tries to go back the way we came once and I let go of him to stay behind the first time. He did it again and I just went with it and... Oh, now he went a different way through the tunnels? I thought it was just a straight line.

I can deduce that what I did mattered, but I don't understand the logic of the mechanism. Was it also opening doors under water that I couldn't see? We're they visible if I tried hard enough to look? Just a confusing puzzle.

I can deduce that what I did mattered, but I don't understand the logic of the mechanism. Was it also opening doors under water that I couldn't see? We're they visible if I tried hard enough to look? Just a confusing puzzle.

Yes. You can actually see it closed before you activate the switch.

Please give me a HINT

IM going insane

In this tower where I use my mirror to lift an elevator but the roof is covered and wont let us ascend

Blinck

I just got past something, but I don't understand what actually happened.

Water stuff, had to dive under a gate to climb a ladder and pull a switch. The switch opens a gate right in front of me. It didn't change my situation as far as I could see, so I assumed it was a red herring meant to teach me about diving so I could get Trico to dive to the next room. In the next room there is another similar switch, and Trico can help you reach it by diving in the water. Again, I just saw a gate open pointlessly in front of me. I thought I saw an opening under water on the other side of the room, so I kept getting Trico to go over there but he wouldn't dive. He tries to go back the way we came once and I let go of him to stay behind the first time. He did it again and I just went with it and... Oh, now he went a different way through the tunnels? I thought it was just a straight line.

Both rooms are the "same", you activate the switch and open a gate underwater below the switch. The only difference is that in the second room you can't reach it and must use the water wave that Trico creates.

SirNinja

The Intensive Care trophy appears to be bugged - either that, or I'm just not getting how it unlocks. I received it after completing a second playthrough, and I am absolutely, positively sure that some spears broke in half (on several occasions) before I could remove them.

It could be that the game just keeps track of the number of unbroken spears you pull out, then that number is carried over through multiple playthroughs and the trophy simply unlocks after you finish a playthrough with a total of X or more...but I dunno.

Anyone else "earn" the trophy this way?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've been playing Dishonored 2 as a bit of a pallet clenser but part me wants to go back for a second play through already. Trying to resist so I can come back in a month or more when its not so fresh in my mind.

Cubed

I've been playing Dishonored 2 as a bit of a pallet clenser but part me wants to go back for a second play through already. Trying to resist so I can come back in a month or more when its not so fresh in my mind.
Yep. I traded it in thinking: "That was a great ride! Only need one play through, though. I'll remember it fondly."

Now all day I've been itching to play it again.

I'm about 3 hours in and while the controls and camera are annoying they aren't nearly as bad as I expected. My biggest issue besides the terrible frame rate is I'm not having any fun with the game. I can't decide if I want to just buckle down and try and fly through it or just call it quits now and get it in the hands of someone that will like it. Great to hear others are enjoying it though because going in, giving its rocky development history, I thought this was going to be an epic debacle.

Just beat the game. might be my game of the generation so far. Will need to think on that. Also ENDING SPOILER
an aspect of the ending reminded me of MGS3 ending. It was devestating and powerful

The Intensive Care trophy appears to be bugged - either that, or I'm just not getting how it unlocks. I received it after completing a second playthrough, and I am absolutely, positively sure that some spears broke in half (on several occasions) before I could remove them.

It could be that the game just keeps track of the number of unbroken spears you pull out, then that number is carried over through multiple playthroughs and the trophy simply unlocks after you finish a playthrough with a total of X or more...but I dunno.

Anyone else "earn" the trophy this way?

This is a bizarre trophy because the requirements explicitly state to remove the spears ASAP which I have done multiple times but no trophy activation.

Yep. I traded it in thinking: "That was a great ride! Only need one play through, though. I'll remember it fondly."

Now all day I've been itching to play it again.

Heh, this is me exactly after I returned it to Redbox, don't play a lot of AAA games these days and this has stuck with me a lot more than I expected. Will prob rent it again or buy it on sale down the road, once in a gen (or a couple :p) kind of experience.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Maybe it's just me, but I'm having trouble playing this game for more than an hour at a time. I'm enjoying it, but the camera and "dead time" I find hard to stay focused and it doesn't hook me enough to play lengthy sessions.

Looks like this one might take me a week and a half to finish.

Vanadium

I'm about 3 hours in and while the controls and camera are annoying they aren't nearly as bad as I expected. My biggest issue besides the terrible frame rate is I'm not having any fun with the game. I can't decide if I want to just buckle down and try and fly through it or just call it quits now and get it in the hands of someone that will like it. Great to hear others are enjoying it though because going in, giving its rocky development history, I thought this was going to be an epic debacle.

It's 10-12 hours on a sort of straight play through. Your mileage may vary, but at the end, it feels worth the slog. I loved it and won't forget it, but I can't lie, some parts really pissed me off because of the controls and the camera. I played on a Pro and only had one very slight frame rate drop very late in the game.

Just finished it.what an amazing game

I want to know so much more. Uedas games always fill me with such wonder

God I hate not knowinng whats next for him

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having trouble playing this game for more than an hour at a time. I'm enjoying it, but the camera and "dead time" I find hard to stay focused and it doesn't hook me enough to play lengthy sessions.

Looks like this one might take me a week and a half to finish.

As someone who really hates terrible controls and framerate, the charm of TLG really resonated through despite its lower than acceptable technical issues. Sometimes I wish they get a PS4 emulator running so I can play this game the way it was meant to be. Because I have a deep yearning to go back to that universe and explore once again.

bumpkin

I am so stuck right now... What am I supposed to do here?

I found the food barrel that was hidden down under the busted train tracks so Trico isn't moping about anymore, but pulling the cart does nothing (the boy isn't strong enough?). I've tried climbing the chain but I didn't see any obvious to-dos at the top.

I found the food barrel that was hidden down under the busted train tracks so Trico isn't moping about anymore, but pulling the cart does nothing (the boy isn't strong enough?). I've tried climbing the chain but I didn't see any obvious to-dos at the top.

Hint: Boy is small and nimble.

Hint 2:
Cart(s)

Vanadium

If it's the puzzle I think it is...

Cart(s). Try again from another side.

Filter

Do you mean
going under the gate that the carts are stuck in/under? I did that. The only thing I found in there was the underground path to the food barrel for Trico.
:(

I got stuck there for quite a while too.
The carts aren't stuck together

gfxtwin

I hit a pretty unbelievable point, it's right after this frustrating moment where you have to raise a gate for Trico while you're chased by three guards up and down a bridge. So I figured that was a tedious little thing that didn't work well, since you basically have to get caught at least once and do that ridiculous button mashing. But in the next room.....it's the exact same situation, but with SIX guards? Talk about doubling down on a poorly done part.

There is another path underneath the top surface of the bridge. Get them to chase you away from the door trico is at, then drop down via one of those big columns and stealth your way through back to the door you need to open. The guards will be in "headlight" mode, but they will be way the heck over there.

Top Bottom