• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

gfxtwin

"In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes "

So is this a quote from the game? I can't remember ever hearing it, thought it sure sounds like it could be.

jrcbandit

I don't see how this game got any 8+ reviews with the incredibly frustrating water/diving sections. My god, I haven't hated a game this much in a very long time. They really needed to work on the controls/Trico commands better to make this section way less frustrating. I was really enjoying the game, despite the controls, until this part.
They really need to edit the part where Trico does his first long dive through the tunnel to make it more automatic, ie, after lowering the gate and convincing Trico to get in the water, you then get on Trico and he will then automatically dive with you through the tunnel. Anything else is just pure frustration to the nth degree.

Vanadium

I don't see how this game got any 8+ reviews with the incredibly frustrating water/diving sections. My god, I haven't hated a game this much in a very long time. They really needed to work on the controls/Trico commands better to make this section way less frustrating. I was really enjoying the game, despite the controls, until this part.

I had frustrations in other parts where he would just sit and not move. In the water, Trico dives happened immediately for me. I just posted to the wall off to the side and he went under.

jrcbandit

I had frustrations in other parts where he would just sit and not move. In the water, Trico dives happened immediately for me. I just posted to the wall off to the side and he went under.

I could get Trico to dive, just not dive with me on him where I wanted him to go. If I got off him, it was easier to get him to dive where I wanted, but then you can easily miss catching him as he dives (like you might be caught in the "drowning animation" since Trico took so long to decide to dive down) so he'll swim off on his own leaving you stranded until he comes back....

jrcbandit

Whoa, what? I had no issue at all with the water parts. Simply told him to dive, and trico automatically dived

Really? I had the complete opposite experience. He wouldn't do anything when I got on him initially. If I moved around him in weird spots in the water and tried to direct him, he would sometimes dive but never go through the tunnel. Finally, I got off him. And went underwater first and would convince him to dive, finally he would go through the tunnel but not with me with him, unless I was lucky enough to be close enough while he was going down and could grab on (the times when I could grab on to him were the times he decided to NOT go through the tunnel, sigh).

I finally got it to work by getting back to land. Getting on Trico. Directing him to go in to water and then immediately directing him to go forward (without me having to change the camera angle even). For some reason, this worked just fine without any trickery and he went through the tunnel. WTH?

Really? I had the complete opposite experience. He wouldn't do anything when I got on him initially. If I moved around him in weird spots in the water and tried to direct him, he would sometimes dive but never go through the tunnel. Finally, I got off him. And went underwater first and would convince him to dive, finally he would go through the tunnel but not with me with him, unless I was lucky enough to be close enough while he was going down and could grab on (the times when I could grab on to him were the times he decided to NOT go through the tunnel, sigh).

I finally got it to work by getting back to land. Getting on Trico. Directing him to go in to water and then immediately directing him to go forward (without me having to change the camera angle even). For some reason, this worked just fine without any trickery and he went through the tunnel. WTH?

I had zero issues. I simply pointed ahead and he'd go down and dive.

My biggest issue with this game was trying to figure out the one room with the ramp, roller, and gate where Trico is playing with some chain. And that was just an oversight on my part.

I honestly never had a problem telling Trico what to do. Sometimes he wouldn't fucking move in a straight line though, and that was super annoying, but Id just walk and he'd follow

Timeaisis

I just got to the part where
Trico eats you for a second time and then you get a pretty long cutscene.
I feel like I'm nearing the end. About how far through an I?

Dartastic

Wowwwwwwwww. This game just got me. GOOD.
So, I was climbing the area where you have to jump from tower to tower on Trico, and Trico sees those eye things and stops. As you're climbing away from her, on these tightropes you see her fucking scared as HELL as you climb farther away. WHen you finally get rid of the eye and climb back down to Trico it looks like she's crying. WOW.
Holy fuck this game is incredible.

The problem with the water section is that it can't could be the result of bad trigger code or the control system lack the finesse of accuracy. What work for me is that I bring Trico outside the pool then use the R2+directional command.

BBboy20

Whoa, what? I had no issue at all with the water parts. Simply told him to dive, and trico automatically dived
So far, you have to let Trico go through it's drying animation when you get to the first gated area because other wise it'll still think there's a gate even if you open it up.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I finished the game yesterday in less than 15 hours and i have to say i cried a lot and is the best game i ever played. My favourites games until tlg were ico,shadow of the colossus and shenmue but now tlg is my n1.

Fumito ueda needs to make more games with sony japan like all his previous work with them.

Just finished it.what an amazing game

I want to know so much more. Uedas games always fill me with such wonder

God I hate not knowinng whats next for him

I think this one is the most conclusive of all 3..
I mean
if you watch the post credit scene, you can see the boy as an old fellow, and trico with a child, so pseudo happy ending?

Putty

WHAT a fucking finale/ending/credits

Magnificent! The music during the credits is absolutely stunning...

My music of the year award goes to TLG...

Game gets a super duper 9/10 from me. Would have been a 10 if the controls and camera we're more refined, oh and that bloody swimming pool section. That section i'd much rather it have been a cutscene....You do the switch then a cutscene does the rest.....

Brilliant stuff.

Demption

Every time you have to throw barrels..damn it's infuriating. Climbing is also really bad sometimes. About 4 hours in and not enjoying really much

Just tried it a bit with my mom and bf watching, just the awakening in the cave alongside Toriko (I am supposed to wait for Christmas lol)...it was amazing : My mom was basically "What is this thing ?! KILL IT WITH FIRE !!!" and my bf was shouting "Help It !!!! It is in pain !!!! Help It !!!!". They are almost non-gamers and it was amazing how impactful the game was on them.

My biggest gripe so far are those awful quick fade to blacks when you're changing a camera angle in the way the game disagrees with. At least with an obtuse camera angle or one where something is blocking what I need to see, I can piece together where my character is. This completely resets my brain so that I have a much harder a much harder time keeping up.

Ruff

Finished it. Had no clue what was supposed to be happening at the end. Even for a Ueda game I felt lost when it comes to plot and setting.

bud

i'm stuck
i feel like an idiot

1-2 hours in:
just found out you can command trico. jumped to the other side on his back where the gate is closed. climbed up there using the stairs but there's nothing there

it feels like the solution is so obvious.

edit: durrr nevermind haha

I need some help..

I'm in water with a crate and Trico is above me. I feel like i need him to put his tail down or something but he just looks at me.. What to do?

Ozorov

I need some help..

I'm in water with a crate and Trico is above me. I feel like i need him to put his tail down or something but he just looks at me.. What to do?

He will put his tail down. I dunno when he did it, I just swimmed around tried to find another way out and draging that box around in the water. Then poof I saw a tail hah

NYmanutd

Wow for experiences like this i havent stopped gaming. This game is a once in a generation experience. Thanks to Fumito for never compromised his vision. This is my game of the generation and my favorite of all time.

Cess007

I need some help..

You need call Trico while you are in the water. He will move on top on you, the ceiling will crack and his tail will drop. Then you just move the crate near and grab it

It's a weird thing. There are pretty much 3 distinct camps: terrible/boring, flawed/worth it and masterpiece.

I get the flawed/worth it perspective, but to me it's so much more. The game is incredible.

The terrible/boring perspective seems to blame the game's design for all their frustrations. Most of the time Trico is being difficult there is a reason. The controls get weird but almost never where it counts. Yes there are camera issues but they mostly can be worked around easily and really, I mean, they're decent all things considered. The game is shooting for the stars. It's subjective to a degree, of course, but the technical issues feel minor to me.

Anyway, it's a stunning accomplishment and one of my favourite gaming experiences in years. This game exceeded the hype for me and that seemed impossible.

Withnail

Every time you have to throw barrels..damn it's infuriating. Climbing is also really bad sometimes. About 4 hours in and not enjoying really much

I was the same as you at that point but by the end I loved it. Not sure if I got used to the controls or Trico becomes more obedient, I think it's probably a combination of the two. My advice is to keep playing.

So I caved in and bought this today despite saying I wouldn't buy it, but all the positive impressions in here made me take the risk.

I was honestly expecting to buy the game (from EB) and take advantage of their return policy by playing it and then taking it back, but you know what? I think I'm gonna keep it!

I found ICO and Shadow of the Colossus both to be pretty good, but overrated. If I had to give them a score I'd probably give them like a 7/10. Good, but nothing amazing. So far (I just made it past the E3 demo section) I feel as if The Last Guardian is the best of the three! This one to me right now feels like a solid 8 or higher. I'm loving the Uncharted influences!

It's funny, the camera is godawful - it's lucky you don't have to aim a gun and shoot moving enemies in this game, because if you did and it controlled like the camera the game would be completely broken (I hope they at least patch the input lag), the controls are delayed and are jank city, overall apart from the animations the graphics are butt ugly and the framerate is less than ideal (I'm playing on an original PS4 - and I honestly thought the framerate would be worse). But despite all that, you know what? I couldn't put the controller down once I started!

I just hope they mix up the gameplay a bit and give me more variety with the environments (I was getting a little bored in a few sections towards the end of my play session due to repetition). It all feels a little too similar with all the same looking indoor environments then the same looking outdoor environments (less so) over and over again.

But yeah, overall, I'm quite impressed! : )

1vRYhJI.jpg

silva1991

It's so frustrating to see many youtubers/twitch streamers know only to call with R1, but have no idea about the other commands and they expect Trico to listen.

Part of the blame is on the dumb and constant tutorials prompts, because many will never look at them again when the game actually tell the player about the other commands.

Any word on a patch that allows downsampling?

The game didn't get a even one patch after the first and small one the day of release iirc.

So I caved in and bought this today despite saying I wouldn't buy it, but all the positive impressions in here made me take the risk.

I was honestly expecting to buy the game (from EB) and take advantage of their return policy by playing it and then taking it back, but you know what? I think I'm gonna keep it!

I found ICO and Shadow of the Colossus both to be pretty good, but overrated. If I had to give them a score I'd probably give them like a 7/10. Good, but nothing amazing. So far (I just made it past the E3 demo section) I feel as if The Last Guardian is the best of the three! This one to me right now feels like a solid 8 or higher. I'm loving the Uncharted influences!

It's funny, the camera is godawful - it's lucky you don't have to aim a gun and shoot moving enemies in this game, because if you did and it controlled like the camera the game would be completely broken (I hope they at least patch the input lag), the controls are delayed and are jank city, overall apart from the animations the graphics are butt ugly and the framerate is less than ideal (I'm playing on an original PS4 - and I honestly thought the framerate would be worse). But despite all that, you know what? I couldn't put the controller down once I started!

I just hope they mix up the gameplay a bit and give me more variety with the environments (I was getting a little bored in a few sections towards the end of my play session due to repetition). It all feels a little too similar with all the same looking indoor environments then the same looking outdoor environments (less so) over and over again.

But yeah, overall, I'm quite impressed! : )

Personally I thought that everything before the E3 demo was good, but not great. I think the game really becomes something special in second half. You start understanding why it took them so much time to develop it and why they couldn't get it running on PS3. I ended up really loving it.

One thing that I did was occasionally use walkthrough guide to make sure that I knew what I was supposed to tell Trico. In early parts I was more frustrated that I wasn't 100% sure if Trico wasn't listening to me or I was asking him to do something he wasn't supposed to.

It's funny, the camera is godawful - it's lucky you don't have to aim a gun and shoot moving enemies in this game, because if you did and it controlled like the camera the game would be completely broken
The camera for a third person adventure game without guns isn't designed like it was for a shooter? Someone get the press!

Personally I thought that everything before the E3 demo was good, but not great. I think the game really becomes something special in second half. You start understanding why it took them so much time to develop it and why they couldn't get it running on PS3. I ended up really loving it.

Awesome! Can't wait to dive back in later today!

The camera for a third person adventure game without guns isn't designed like it was for a shooter? Someone get the press!

Umm, no shit.

I'm just saying if you had to aim and it had the input lag like the camera it'd be irredeemable. The input lag reminds me of Rise of the Tomb Raider pre-patch, only it's probably worse.

bud

i'm stuck
hanging off a tree right after i met the other beast. am i supposed to wait for trico to save me?

edit: it took a really long time for him to do that, haha

Dartastic

i'm stuck
hanging off a tree right after i met the other beast. am i supposed to wait for trico to save me?

edit: it took a really long time for him to do that, haha
I got stuck there too. I eventually figured it out.
Poor Trico looked like they were in so much pain right there. :(

Honestly I'm not sure, I don't even have a twitter account lol. Perhaps Yoshida?

Maybe https://twitter.com/genDESIGN_Inc ?

I mean, it doesn't have the official logo, and they seem to post in both Japanese and English, so it may be worth a try?

Maybe this guy.

https://twitter.com/yasuhirokitao?lang=en

I think 900p patch for PS4 versions will be good too.

Ok thanks will give those a try.

I don't think the prompts are bad when they are pointing out something you can do for the first time, but yeah, the subsequent ones for actions you've done over and over are when they get annoying.

I just think it should be a toggle-able option, as on-screen control prompts are in basically 100% of games these days. I love Ueda more than any other developer, but Japanese devs can be so clueless about intuitive stuff like this sometimes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think the game needs some Quality of Life improvements that wouldn't be very hard to implement.

1. Being able to toggle the button prompt windows on and off.
2. Add an in game option to check out all the commands and such. Just add it into the options or pause menu or some such.
3. Being able to invert the controls of the mirror to match the camera and player preference.
4. A chapter select of sorts

I'm sure there are some things I forgot.

Top Bottom