• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Mupod

Finished it today.

What an amazing game, the ending part was so emotional it was impossible to not get moved by it.
Tons of great moments with a beautiful soundtrack and some really cool puzzles. I didn't have any problem with controls or camera.
I didn't need any guide or walkthrouh but there were a couple of bad puzzles that weren't well designed, in particular that
in the cave with the water where you're supposed to push the crate on the opposite side until Trico breaks some axes and he can drop his tail
. It was very difficult to figure out because the position where you had to put the crate didn't make a lot of sense and you could easily blame Trico for not behaving properly.
But overall best game I've played this year.
I hope that Ueda will continue to make these amazing games.

as I mentioned above not only is that puzzle kinda dumb, it can bug out as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not supposed to feel
this happy
about virtual characters

I couldn't stop playing the final few hours. There were so many moments were I was just caught up in everything the game asked of me. Some really great and powerful sequences throughout

Just finished it. Wow.

I can't even begin to tell you how I felt finishing it other than
tears of sadness and happiness
. Can easily say that this absolutely was easily worth the wait. It was nothing short of special. I mean, right now, my heart is feeling a ton of things, many different things. But all in a good way.

Yes, the camera and framerate hampered it quite a bit, especially the latter towards the end. But in comparison to most games where I would slaughter them for such a shitty camera and framerate - and while it is something that still deserves some criticism here, especially on a base PS4 - you know what, I don't even care. That's the sign of a very special game when those feel secondary to what is otherwise a special experience already.

Ending spoilers:
Also, that is one of the best endings in a game this year, if not THE best ending. Maybe even one of the best full stop. At least for this year, it's up there with Uncharted 4 for me

I said it already, I'll say it again: this was absolutely, easily worth the wait.

gfxtwin

It's so weird to watch journalists stream the game and have no idea what to do with the camera.  If you stay on top of it and use your sense of spacial awareness you could easily do a stream of the whole game without a single awkward camera angle.  

1upsuper

Will I get a lot more out of this game if I play Ico and SotC first? I've played them a bit at friends' houses but never picked them up myself. But the trailers for Guardian have caught my interest.

Mush

I'm still making my way through the game but man, the section where you
encounter the other creature and have to escape is one of the most dreadful gameplay sequences I've ever played. I couldn't figure out how to get up the tree where the cable was so I basically had to Skyrim jump my way up the branches. Then there was that bit where after you shimmied around the rock wall and came through that hole and I spent a good 5 minutes there trying to get onto the ledge that was right in front of the creature because it kept knocking me back with its claw.

gfxtwin

Will I get a lot more out of this game if I play Ico and SotC first? I've played them a bit at friends' houses but never picked them up myself. But the trailers for Guardian have caught my interest.

TLG's story is self-contained and the only connection to the previous games that anyone has discovered so far is the setting/world it takes place in (and even that isn't 100% confirmed or anything).

SirNinja

That depends. Story-wise, TLG is very disconnected from the other two, much moreso than Shadow was to Ico. If you mostly care about the story you're good there.

Gameplay-wise, I can definitely say playing TLG was bolstered by having played through the others. Part of what impressed me about TLG is how it's such an unlikely blend of the gameplay of Ico and Shadow. It's basically Ico, except with a colossus buddy that does the fighting for you.

Still though, I'd recommend TLG even if you never touched the others.

I think the game needs some Quality of Life improvements that wouldn't be very hard to implement.

1. Being able to toggle the button prompt windows on and off.
2. Add an in game option to check out all the commands and such. Just add it into the options or pause menu or some such.
3. Being able to invert the controls of the mirror to match the camera and player preference.
4. A chapter select of sorts

I'm sure there are some things I forgot.

I guess they assumed people would bother to read the digital manual that comes with the game — which explains it in detail — but I understand that some people aren't even aware that games come with digital manuals at all.

20161215044210gyjtw.png

I guess they assumed people would bother to read the digital manual that comes with the game — which explains it in detail — but I understand that some people aren't even aware that games come with digital manuals at all.

Ah, damn. They do a great job explaining it there. I didn't realize it had a digital manual.

bud

just ran into my first bug that required a full game restart. Checkpoints didn't help.

It's in an area a good ways into the game. Involves water and a crate (you'll know what I mean). Not really gameplay spoilers since if it's not broken t's quite obvious, but whatever:

I pushed the crate around the water for a good 10 minutes before it became clear something was wrong. The narrator started talking about things that hadn't happened yet. I eventually figured out what was happening - Trico is supposed to break a plank above you, and his tail is supposed to drop down allowing you to climb out. But in my game, his tail was getting stuck on some support beams. Restarted from checkpoint 4 times to no avail. Eventually closed the game entirely and it worked on the first try.

Would have been stuck here for a while if the narrator hadn't bugged out.

this happened to me as well.

i'm not sure, but i think
pushing the crate underneath its tail will trigger it coming down after which you jump on the crate and latch on

Is there any way to make the constant button tutorial tooltips go away? I'm hours into the game, yet literally every time I try to climb anything it tells me which buttons do what. It's absurd. I was climbing straight up a series of five or so ledges and the tooltips swooped in, faded out and swooped in again on every successive ledge, like I was going to forget halfway through.

Ratrat

Is there any way to make the constant button tutorial tooltips go away? I'm hours into the game, yet literally every time I try to climb anything it tells me which buttons do what. It's absurd. I was climbing straight up a series of five or so ledges and the tooltips swooped in, faded out and swooped in again on every successive ledge, like I was going to forget halfway through.
Noope. It eventually stops happening. Its one of my biggest gripes with the game. Its huge, ugly and obnoxious.

SirNinja

When Ueda learns that
he inspired Hidetaka Miyazaki to enter the industry... Such a gold moment.

For sure. It's crazy to think that there
wouldn't be any Souls games
if it weren't for Ico. You can tell Ueda was really taken aback by that. (In a good way, of course.)

ChrisD

20161215044210gyjtw.png

Guilty as charged: not only do I forget digital manuals exist, but I also don't read them when they do because our PS4 is sluggish as sin when it comes to loading them. Did notice this game's has a QR code to scan on mobile devices, but I don't have a QR scanner (nor the space to download one), so.

Man how I miss paper manuals.

WITHE1982

I'm just at the part where
Trico dunks you when unconscious to wake you up.
How far through am I?

Also I've yet to experience any of the AI or Trico control issues that a lot of people are mentioning. At most it's taken 2-3 minutes to get my companion to follow my instructions. Including the
two water sections
which were a breeze.

The camera is probably the only really frustrating part but after playing SOTC I'm absolutely fine with it.

Does everyone else take the time to clean up Trico after every fight/fall? Before I continue on I have to get rid of every ruffled feather and blood stain. My Trico is like a show dog.

Love, love, love this game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
keep watching

Still reeling. What a game.

For sure. It's crazy to think that there
wouldn't be any Souls games
if it weren't for Ico. You can tell Ueda was really taken aback by that. (In a good way, of course.)

When Ueda learns that
he inspired Hidetaka Miyazaki to enter the industry... Such a gold moment.

Thanks for the share! Fantastic interview.

Spoiler tagging info from an interview, wtf

SirNinja

Spoiler tagging info from an interview, wtf

Eh, I figured I might as well tag it if the other guy thought to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To be fair, though, it's a legit cool reveal. I didn't know about it either, and my reaction was nearly the same as Ueda's.

There's a button prompt that shows R1 being pressed with the face buttons, how do people miss that? It takes up a quarter of the screen and appears constantly....

I just finished. Damn it was great, the pacing was great and only a few pain points that were quickly forgotten.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There's a button prompt that shows R1 being pressed with the face buttons, how do people miss that? It takes up a quarter of the screen and appears constantly....

I just finished. Damn it was great, the pacing was great and only a few pain points that were quickly forgotten.

There was someone in the other thread who mentioned he didn't see that once and that goes for me as well. I only ever got the press R1 to command Trico, never anything about face buttons. I kept looking out for it because I knew those controls existed, but I never once saw that prompt.

Thought it was weird because they show every other prompt 50 times, but never that one. I'm definitely doing a replay, I'll be looking out for it again :p

There was someone in the other thread who mentioned he didn't see that once and that goes for me as well. I only ever got the press R1 to command Trico, never anything about face buttons. I kept looking out for it because I knew those controls existed, but I never once saw that prompt.

Thought it was weird because they show every other prompt 50 times, but never that one. I'm definitely doing a replay, I'll be looking out for it again :p

I think when you press and hold R1 a separate prompt pops up to show the face buttons can be pressed as well.

Aenima

Does everyone else take the time to clean up Trico after every fight/fall? Before I continue on I have to get rid of every ruffled feather and blood stain. My Trico is like a show dog.

Yup every single time till the end of my 1st run.

dealer-

No, mine looked like shit. Maybe that's why he hated me.

Starting a second playthrough now. Might try an under five hour run.

Stillmatic

Just finished it. Amazing! I enjoyed it all the way through. There were a couple of frustrating moments, but they were nothing. I don't think you fully appreciate it until the end, just wow. One of my favourite games of the gen.

ys45

Finished the game yesterday, I swear
watching Trico getting beaten up was infuriating,
the game is definitely a special one and despite the technical and control issues it got, It was a really a wonderful experience.

And I'm glad I played this game.

Ozorov

the game is definitely a special one and despite the technical and control issues it got, It was a really a wonderful experience.

Fix the spoilertag asap

Plopboy

Unconfirmed Member

Dude, your spoiler tag is broken

I haven't had the time to get through TLG as quickly as I'd like, but goddamn at the game throwing one of the most memorable sequences I've had in recent memory at the player in quick succession. I'm not sure how far in I am, though I feel like I've been playing the game for awhile! At any rate, even if I loathe the ending of the game, those thirty minutes will remain one of the most memorable aspects of the game to me. I don't really want to post the following in the spoiler thread, as I don't want to get spoiled myself! I hope it's okay to have a little babble about it in the OT.

Being separated from Trico after the failed diving attempt was pretty lonely, because I'd gotten so used to him plodding along behind me, or calling from a distance. Of course, a lot of climbing later, the loneliness immediately turned into the horror upon seeing a dangling guardian's tail that was faaaaar too neat to belong to my actual guardian. I left the boy standing there for a minute next to the tail, because I didn't want to climb it, ha. After the guardian woke up, it was disturbing to have all those cute little Trico behaviors turned against you - instead of Trico curiously watching and following you everywhere (and complaining when he couldn't come, too), the other guardian would tear, scream, and snarl, and stalk your every move. I also had SotC flashbacks in regards to a certain two colossi, sheesh. The utter joy of Trico finding you later, and breaking through the ceiling due to the boy's calls, was incredible. Poor Trico trying to rub his face against the cage and failing miserably broke my heart. The cage sequence was frustrating, but funny. I thought the game was going to take it easy on the poor boy and Trico after that, but then, nope, antenna room. I think there is a trophy for avoiding him for three minutes, but I messed up after a minute or so, and got the boy chomped.

It's actually quite nice to have some story heavy cutscenes from Ueda for once, and I thought they were beautifully done, and a bit heartbreaking at the end. Oh, Trico. I have my own speculations, but I'm looking forward to reading other people's after I've finished the game. After the cutscene, it was so incredibly fucked up seeing Trico drag around the boy's unconscious body, trying to get him to wake up. The extremely limp rag-doll physics made it worse, and I hadn't realized how much I genuinely liked the poor kid until he was a complete dead weight. It was distressing to see your player character so limp, and it was heartbreaking to see Trico so distressed in turn. Trico bounding around in delight after the boy woke up certainly warmed my cold dead heart. I don't know what it was like for other people, but after the boy woke up, Trico wanted four lots of pats on the nose in succession, he kept ducking his head. Whilst patting Trico's in an earlier scene, I'd noticed the boy laugh for the first time. This time whilst patting Trico, he did a different laugh from earlier, and then giggled Trico's name. It might have been one of those timing things that just happened to work out in a poignant manner, but it was still an incredible moment. This goddamn game-! It was hard not to get a bit teary.

I didn't find the infamous
diving
section too bad -
I didn't have any problems getting Trico to dive, but it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that I needed to ride a Trico tidal wave to get up to the lever. I kept looking for a secret switch to raise the water level or something. I only stumbled across the solution by accident. D'oh.

I'm still amused by how much time I don't actually spend commanding Trico. I've said it before, but it really does feel like an equal back and forth partnership. I lead him, he leads me. Trico auto-platforming his way through areas is great, and controlling the jumps manually would be tedious.

The scale of the outside areas continue to be absolutely ludicrous. I'm still surprised that such huge areas have some of the most solid framerates, especially if Trico is just hanging out in the background.

Ha, yep. I always feel awful if there is a patch of ruffled feathers I can't quite clean up.

LiK

I beat it last night.

The bad:

Absolutely hated the camera. I dunno why I'm constantly fighting it and why it's so awful in general. Wish they fixed that. The framerate was also pretty poor throughout on base PS4. Altho I was able to handleit much better later in the game. It was giving me eye strain during the earlier levels. Also, some really strange jank my physics with the Boy and his animations.

I wish we could turn off subs once we finish it. Would like to do replay without them and also the button prompts that show up constantly were distracting.

The good:

But even with all the technical/UI issues, I enjoyed the overall experience. Loved Trico. His animations were spectacular and so lifelike. Gave me major feels throughout whenever he was in pain or angry. Some really clever puzzles that required messing around and understanding their logic even tho I feel 3-4 puzzles were downright frustrating at the randomness/guesswork.

I liked the story and the places it went. TLG was really good altho I think I still prefer the previous two games more.

Mupod

20161215044210gyjtw.png

I was not aware of this. Would have been very helpful as I spent about 10 minutes stuck on a branch not realizing the game was expecting me to use commands it had never told me about. I eventually found them just from mashing every possible button combination.

Guess Sony can't afford to print manuals. Meanwhile fucking EDF, the poster boy for budget games, comes with a full color manual. You can either cheap out on this stuff or actually explain mechanics in your game, pick one.

this happened to me as well.

i'm not sure, but i think
pushing the crate underneath its tail will trigger it coming down after which you jump on the crate and latch on

see, like I said I had already figured out exactly what the game wanted to do and I was trying that. After a restart of the game I did the same sequence of events I'd tried several times already, and it just worked.

SomTervo

I was not aware of this. Would have been very helpful as I spent about 10 minutes stuck on a branch not realizing the game was expecting me to use commands it had never told me about. I eventually found them just from mashing every possible button combination.

Guess Sony can't afford to print manuals. Meanwhile fucking EDF, the poster boy for budget games, comes with a full color manual. You can either cheap out on this stuff or actually explain mechanics in your game, pick one.

see, like I said I had already figured out exactly what the game wanted to do and I was trying that. After a restart of the game I did the same sequence of events I'd tried several times already, and it just worked.

Literally about 7 times throughout the game, in the top right of your screen, a massive tooltip comes up telling you to Hold R1 and press any button to command Trico. It even has an icon directly drawing attention to R1 simultaneously with the face buttons and/or left stick.

They clearly struggled with tutorials for the game either way. A big enough proportion of the user base struggled with this.

Finished the game. Such an incredible experience, haven't played anything like it. Man, I'm so glad this game exists and didn't get cancelled, what a loss to gaming would that have been.

Many reasons why this game would not have been able to work on PS3 even if they worked on it for 100 years but Trico's lifelike animations and
practically the last couple of hours of the game with all the Trico-like creatures flying around and attacking poor Trico would simply not be possible
. The ending was masterful, emotional and perfect.

My only weak point at the game was
trying to solve the tidal wave puzzle. I honestly spent like 45 minutes exploring every inch of the cave until my girlfriend looked up to the solution online and I started asking for hints from her. There was NO way in hell I could have thought that solution. Generally good at puzzle games (Platinum'd the Witness without help, dammit!) and I feel the tidal wave puzzle was based mostly on chance

Other than that, game is one of the easiest 10/10's I could give and totally my GOTY.

Finished the game. Such an incredible experience, haven't played anything like it. Man, I'm so glad this game exists and didn't get cancelled, what a loss to gaming would that have been.

Many reasons why this game would not have been able to work on PS3 even if they worked on it for 100 years but Trico's lifelike animations and
practically the last couple of hours of the game with all the Trico-like creatures flying around and attacking poor Trico would simply not be possible
. The ending was masterful, emotional and perfect.

My only weak point at the game was
trying to solve the tidal wave puzzle. I honestly spent like 45 minutes exploring every inch of the cave until my girlfriend looked up to the solution online and I started asking for hints from her. There was NO way in hell I could have thought that solution. Generally good at puzzle games (Platinum'd the Witness without help, dammit!) and I feel the tidal wave puzzle was based mostly on chance

Other than that, game is one of the easiest 10/10's I could give and totally my GOTY.

I thought that was one of the coolest satisfying puzzle tbh. No chance involved, just make trico jump in the water when you're near the broken ladder..

Mupod

Literally about 7 times throughout the game, in the top right of your screen, a massive tooltip comes up telling you to Hold R1 and press any button to command Trico. It even has an icon directly drawing attention to R1 simultaneously with the face buttons and/or left stick.

They clearly struggled with tutorials for the game either way. A big enough proportion of the user base struggled with this.

It has NEVER shown it with the face buttons. Only R1 and the left stick.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It has NEVER shown it with the face buttons. Only R1 and the left stick.

It will show you the jump command for Trico but I don't believe it shows you the others. That's how I learned about the jump command for Trico in the first place.

Top Bottom