• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Jesus, the kid limps if jump from too much of a height. I going to throw him off everything now!! :)

He'll even do this from time to time:

giphy.gif

final impressions (from another thread):

i had more fun with both ico & shadow of the colossus than with this, mainly for different technical reasons, but trico? trico is officially one of the '7 wonders of the gaming world', & needs to be experienced (in spite of the various peripheral imperfections) to truly be believed. one of the most extraordinary creations in gaming history! incredible! :) ...

Dave_6

I've got the mini soundtrack from Amazon and I got the collector's edition version as well. How do I get the complete soundtrack?

Timeaisis

Well, finished it. Really loved the game.

The ending was alright. I really didn't care for the
last encounter. I was very confused what to do. And once I figured out it was the tail, and I had to drop it down,the physics system fought with me for a couple minutes before I could drop it properly, since the boy doesn't actually "pick it up" he just grabs on to it like a rope.

Other than that the game was good. Most of the puzzles were great, but some were frustrating, like the
tail through the floorboard one
and
roll cage one
. Ugh. Trico controlled well enough for me, but the game really should've showed you the full command list from the get-go. I had no idea I could use the face buttons until I read it on the thread. The prompt never showed for me.

Grievances aside, I loved Trico and the way you interacted with him. If it weren't for some technical issues and design oversights, would make for a near-perfect experiences.

I guess they assumed people would bother to read the digital manual that comes with the game — which explains it in detail — but I understand that some people aren't even aware that games come with digital manuals at all.

20161215044210gyjtw.png

Oh wow I never saw that.

I got most of the Trico commands from the area where the game first teaches you about it (game shows the R1 + ALL face buttons prompt), but I did not get that X means cancel. For me it was crouch/go down (because he sits down when you issue that command and it mimics the controls for the boy), should have known that's not the case once I realized that O is not grabbing but more like to encourage him to do a special action.

This totally explains most of my problem areas I think.

I'm really enjoying listening back to the soundtrack, especially "Epilogue", obviously. I want the vinyl but I don't know if it's worth putting up with iam8bit's BS.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I just beat it. Holy shit what a ride.

The cutscene after the credits as well. The feels.

The camera is janky, and the amount of patience you have to have for the game may be a put off for some but honestly that might of been the best game ive played all year. And honestly Ive never played anything like that.

I haven't had the time to get through TLG as quickly as I'd like, but goddamn at the game throwing one of the most memorable sequences I've had in recent memory at the player in quick succession. I'm not sure how far in I am, though I feel like I've been playing the game for awhile! At any rate, even if I loathe the ending of the game, those thirty minutes will remain one of the most memorable aspects of the game to me. I don't really want to post the following in the spoiler thread, as I don't want to get spoiled myself! I hope it's okay to have a little babble about it in the OT.

Being separated from Trico after the failed diving attempt was pretty lonely, because I'd gotten so used to him plodding along behind me, or calling from a distance. Of course, a lot of climbing later, the loneliness immediately turned into the horror upon seeing a dangling guardian's tail that was faaaaar too neat to belong to my actual guardian. I left the boy standing there for a minute next to the tail, because I didn't want to climb it, ha. After the guardian woke up, it was disturbing to have all those cute little Trico behaviors turned against you - instead of Trico curiously watching and following you everywhere (and complaining when he couldn't come, too), the other guardian would tear, scream, and snarl, and stalk your every move. I also had SotC flashbacks in regards to a certain two colossi, sheesh. The utter joy of Trico finding you later, and breaking through the ceiling due to the boy's calls, was incredible. Poor Trico trying to rub his face against the cage and failing miserably broke my heart. The cage sequence was frustrating, but funny. I thought the game was going to take it easy on the poor boy and Trico after that, but then, nope, antenna room. I think there is a trophy for avoiding him for three minutes, but I messed up after a minute or so, and got the boy chomped.

It's actually quite nice to have some story heavy cutscenes from Ueda for once, and I thought they were beautifully done, and a bit heartbreaking at the end. Oh, Trico. I have my own speculations, but I'm looking forward to reading other people's after I've finished the game. After the cutscene, it was so incredibly fucked up seeing Trico drag around the boy's unconscious body, trying to get him to wake up. The extremely limp rag-doll physics made it worse, and I hadn't realized how much I genuinely liked the poor kid until he was a complete dead weight. It was distressing to see your player character so limp, and it was heartbreaking to see Trico so distressed in turn. Trico bounding around in delight after the boy woke up certainly warmed my cold dead heart. I don't know what it was like for other people, but after the boy woke up, Trico wanted four lots of pats on the nose in succession, he kept ducking his head. Whilst patting Trico's in an earlier scene, I'd noticed the boy laugh for the first time. This time whilst patting Trico, he did a different laugh from earlier, and then giggled Trico's name. It might have been one of those timing things that just happened to work out in a poignant manner, but it was still an incredible moment. This goddamn game-! It was hard not to get a bit teary.

I didn't find the infamous
diving
section too bad -
I didn't have any problems getting Trico to dive, but it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that I needed to ride a Trico tidal wave to get up to the lever. I kept looking for a secret switch to raise the water level or something. I only stumbled across the solution by accident. D'oh.

I'm still amused by how much time I don't actually spend commanding Trico. I've said it before, but it really does feel like an equal back and forth partnership. I lead him, he leads me. Trico auto-platforming his way through areas is great, and controlling the jumps manually would be tedious.

The scale of the outside areas continue to be absolutely ludicrous. I'm still surprised that such huge areas have some of the most solid framerates, especially if Trico is just hanging out in the background.

Played through this part last night as well. That whole 30 minute sequence was just utterly brilliant, and will probably rank as one of the more memorable games experiences I've had.

Any hints and/or word on them patching a toggle option for the button prompts or brushing up some of the other issues yet?

What's the general consensus regarding patches here anyway, anything potentially coming at all?

silva1991

technical issues and Trico's unpredictable AI aside, what is the worst part of the game? I can hardly think of a great game that doesn't have that one annoying level or encounter.

To me the only part that I actually hate is the part where I have
to move that fucking cage. As if controlling the boy wasn't hard enough haha. It's like the Bed of chaos of the game for me.

ChrisD

technical issues and Trico's unpredictable AI aside, what is the worst part of the game? I can hardly think of a great game that doesn't have that one annoying level or encounter.

To me the only part that I actually hate is the part where I have
to move that fucking cage. As if controlling the boy wasn't hard enough haha. It's like the Bed of chaos of the game for me.

Haven't finished the game, but I'm going to go with the
cage

Water sections? Those all went smoothly for me (so far). But the above was just not wanting to work with me. Was very frustrating, as even resetting wasn't fixing anything.

Hopefully that's the end of jank (and glitches, five and counting thus far) in my playthrough.

mellow

Just finished it. Fantastic. 9/10 for me, Would be a 10 but the camera at times and minor technical issues held it back from being perfect, what an incredibly memorable experience. More than delivered for me. Kudos, Ueda.

Just out of curiosity, because somehow I wasn't even remotely able to keep track of my playtime, how far am I
when the tower collapses and Trico gets thrown off the cliff by the other guardian?
Doesn't have to be exact, just ballpark.

KevinG

Just out of curiosity, because somehow I wasn't even remotely able to keep track of my playtime, how far am I
when the tower collapses and Trico gets thrown off the cliff by the other guardian?

Just over half? Maybe a little more.

silva1991

Haven't finished the game, but I'm going to go with the
cage

Water sections? Those all went smoothly for me (so far). But the above was just not wanting to work with me. Was very frustrating, as even resetting wasn't fixing anything.

Hopefully that's the end of jank (and glitches, five and counting thus far) in my playthrough.

Don't worry nothing will be as bad haha.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Took a chance on this despite not liking Ico (to be fair I didn't give it much of a chance) or SOTC, nor being huge on puzzlers.

I'm only a couple hours or so in, but I'm liking it a lot so far. Looks amazing (playing on a 1080p set on a PS4 Pro), great art design and fun to just veg and explore the world and slowly figure out how to move forward.

The camera and controls aren't great, and I'm sure I'll get frustrated at harder/more obtuse puzzles later on, but so far I'm glad I gave it a chance. And if I sour on it, I made it one of my rare physical purchases so I can sell and lose little (if any since I bought for $48 and tax with GCU).

ChrisD

Lol, this happened to me in the exact same area!

So I'm not just cursed to hit bugs that nobody else experiences... Just cursed to get every little one possible. ^^

Finished the game. I'm not going to lie, I had to use a Walkthrough at the very end because I couldn't figure out what to do. It's pretty obvious, but I've never claimed to be smart.
First things first, this game is pretty screwed up and I felt disgust seeing what the Barrels are.

I wish they didn't put the two big enemy encounters one after the other at the end. I don't know what the consensus is on it, but I really didn't like those sections. It was always the same song and dance; literally, the same track always played, and Trico always moved in the same ways. Definitely my lowest points in the game... Right after the cage section, but that was another case of glitches hitting me.

An opinion I'm not certain many will share, and I totally understand why you wouldn't: I almost wish the ending sequence was a pseudo quick time event after picking up the mirror the second time. You press the button to push the tail and zap the core, but leave the movement to a pre-scripted event. A playable cutscene. I'm mostly of the opinion because I felt removed from the moment when my camera started bugging out on me when I ran into the mass of Tricos. I was trying to shove the armored ones, pull their tails, jump on them, anything. Or at least that was the plan, then my camera went black and kept flickering in and out for a minute straight. So between that and my stupidity mentioned above out of the spoiler tags, I feel like the ending would have been smoother in my experience with something like a QTE. I also just think that they could have put a bit more emotion into the boy if this was the case.

On the guide thing: After I watched the credits, I looked back at the one I was following. The last words are, paraphrased: "The last button you push in the game is the command to send Trico away"

Though I got a bit misty-eyed at the ending sequence and everything after it, there weren't any actual tears. But once I read that text, I nearly broke down. I had my rabbit put under on Halloween, and it still comes back to me now that I made the choice to "send him away." I don't regret it, but I think it should be easy enough to understand the sadness it still causes me to feel when I think on it. The way they worded that, alongside what I just finished playing/watching, it hit me hard.

...It's still hitting me hard. I figured the game would end up with Trico dead, so I was braced for the worst. I guess what happened would hit hard regardless just because I didn't expect it, I didn't "prepare" for it. Was very happy to see Trico still alive at the end, but dang.. The ending was all emotional regardless. Though I felt the way the Boy just says, "That's the end of our story" into black was pretty lackluster. Would have been better to put that dialogue at the very end when you see the Boy as the Chief. Just think it would have held more weight that way.

Very good game. Had a horrible first play session with a glitch preventing progress, a number of other glitches, and I definitely think the camera was bad (ESPECIALLY WHEN TRYING TO GET OFF OF TRICO, JEEZ), but there's a lot to love here. After that first session and learning about how you actually issue commands, I never had another problem with Trico. He always listened, and it was always pretty snappy. His mannerisms were very lifelike. I'm on board with the love for his AI, he felt as real as you can get in a game.

Like 40% through or so. Disagree about it being halfway.

SirNinja

There's so many little things in this game, easy to miss out on unless you try a whole bunch of stuff. For instance: at the very beginning, if you pet Trico on the head right after he shakes off all the broken armor covering his face, the boy has a chance to say this:

zheKWZt.jpg

This was the beginning of my third playthrough. Never knew about that moment before and it just melted my heart all over again. This game...

The game needs a "press once to get the fuck off trico" button for sure.

God yes.

There's so many little things in this game, easy to miss out on unless you try a whole bunch of stuff. For instance: at the very beginning, if you pet Trico on the head right after he shakes off all the broken armor covering his face, the boy has a chance to say this:

-

This was the beginning of my third playthrough. Never knew about that moment before and it just melted my heart all over again. This game...

Nooooo, my heart. That's gorgeous. I love the dynamic between the two of them so much.

Just got the mirror again.

OMG, when the other Trico was attacking Trico while getting spears thrown at him from the side I've NEVER wanted to save an AI companion more quickly! D:

I loved the cutscene showing how the boy was taken. I wish the game had a few more of them to break things up a bit.

Still enjoying the game, but repetition is starting to creep in. Too many jump on Trico and point sections. It's getting a tad dull.

The game feels really long by the way. I thought it was actually going to end like 2 hours ago LOL.

silva1991

zheKWZt.jpg

This game is full of those miss-able moments :/

I've seen someone pulling Trico's ear while sleeping and it was the cutest thing ever.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm not sure I've quite played the game long enough to fully decide my feelings on it, but unless something about the game totally turns on its head, I think I'm pretty close.

I have to say that I really don't like the game. I think it's pretty bad. I find the controls incredibly annoying, there aren't even really "puzzles" per se. I mean, I guess they technically are, but it's kinda just like "Hey, we'll throw you in a room, and off you go! Figure out where to go!" and it's not necessarily like you are trying to figure out solutions to puzzles, the most difficult parts are finding out exactly where to go. I don't really consider that a puzzle per se. The Talos Principle had puzzles. I find it tedious spending most of my time in this game trying to figure out where a damn ledge is to climb up on, meanwhile the actual real puzzles, take about 2 seconds to figure out. So I'd say about 80% or more of my time spent in this game is looking for where to go, where to climb up, or where to climb down. So essentially doing nothing fun or productive.

It does have some things I like. It's colorful, cool music, it has charm, and Tirico is pretty awesome and responds well(although those climbing mechanics when you board him are ARGH!). But yeah, this game just isn't for me. So far I find myself 75% frustrated and 25% having fun, so again, unless things change, I probably won't be speaking highly of this game. Find myself yelling at the TV too often lol. "Will you fucking jump already?????" "Stop falling down!!!!!"

I do see why people really enjoy it though. Don't think this game is gonna be for me though.

hughesta

Banned
can someone please explain to me what's wrong with the controls

you use literally four buttons in this game. Jump, Drop, Action, Interact

I'm not sure I've quite played the game long enough to fully decide my feelings on it, but unless something about the game totally turns on its head, I think I'm pretty close.

I have to say that I really don't like the game. I think it's pretty bad. I find the controls incredibly annoying, there aren't even really "puzzles" per se. I mean, I guess they technically are, but it's kinda just like "Hey, we'll throw you in a room, and off you go! Figure out where to go!" and it's not necessarily like you are trying to figure out solutions to puzzles, the most difficult parts are finding out exactly where to go. I don't really consider that a puzzle per se. The Talos Principle had puzzles. I find it tedious spending most of my time in this game trying to figure out where a damn ledge is to climb up on, meanwhile the actual real puzzles, take about 2 seconds to figure out. So I'd say about 80% or more of my time spent in this game is looking for where to go, where to climb up, or where to climb down. So essentially doing nothing fun or productive.

It does have some things I like. It's colorful, cool music, it has charm, and Tirico is pretty awesome and responds well(although those climbing mechanics when you board him are ARGH!). But yeah, this game just isn't for me. So far I find myself 75% frustrated and 25% having fun, so again, unless things change, I probably won't be speaking highly of this game. Find myself yelling at the TV too often lol. "Will you fucking jump already?????" "Stop falling down!!!!!"

I do see why people really enjoy it though. Don't think this game is gonna be for me though.

That's fine and you've pointed some aspects of the game that I agree. There is only one puzzle in this game and that is how you handle Trico. Like a mini-collosus but instead of killing it, you are trying to bond. I really love the element of giving the player to be observing and not be too trigger happy with buttons mashing like most games.

Granted, you need a specific mindset when playing this game. It's definitely not for everyone.

If it helps with figuring out where to go, Trico will constantly look in the direction you need to go for puzzles, or will sometimes physically move to the spot himself. He'll also complain if you're going in the wrong direction. (Trico is a very useful and furry GPS!) Blue butterflies will also hang around areas for the start of a puzzle/next step in the puzzle. But yes, you are right, it's fairly straightforward as far as puzzle games go, and Trico will also help you a lot of the way. There are some puzzles later that are a bit more complicated than just finding out where to go next, but I do agree that your assessment is a fair enough comment to make regardless.

After the first cage where you have to survive Trico's attack, you have to climb down from its tail and there's a barrel behind a grate that you can't get
. How do i get it?

Edit: backtracked a bit and found a way in ;)

Edit 2: and now he doesn't want to eat it, lol. Maybe it was supposed to be found before the cutscene?

Yep, he doesn't even look at it.

jg4xchamp

So everytime you fall to your death or whatever, does this game really expect you to hit a sequence of buttons instead of just reloading the next checkpoint? or am I imagining that?

magawolaz

zheKWZt.jpg

awww :3

EDIT:
I guess they assumed people would bother to read the digital manual that comes with the game — which explains it in detail — but I understand that some people aren't even aware that games come with digital manuals at all.

20161215044210gyjtw.png
gotta ask, where do you find this?

can someone please explain to me what's wrong with the controls

you use literally four buttons in this game. Jump, Drop, Action, Interact

I think, for a generation of players weaned on an increasing priority on 60fps controls and emphasis on "playability," Ueda's emphasis on animation feels odd. The boy's animation is actually more exaggerated than the other Team ICO games - he animates more like a classical disney character than a Team ICO character. For instance, going down stairs, running, stumbling - all of them are very exaggerated in style of classical hand-drawn animation. It's tremendous - I absolutely love what it communicates about the boy to the player, and it makes him an emotional, relate-able creature even when he's just doing simple things. But it does come at the cost of direct, 1:1 controls.

Increasingly, it's looking like there are some players that are not able to appreciate the reason for those sacrifices, and I think the game probably just won't be enjoyable for them. We always knew this would be the place with this game, and we're just seeing it play out. I hope that there's a subset of them though who's eyes can be opened to there being a greater breadth of intention in game creation than just directly catering to the players fingers.

Top Bottom