• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there a complete list of all the things that the boy can say?

Not sure but the trophy for getting every message was at 0 percent not long ago. Something I don't think I've ever seen from a major console release even a week after it came out.

LiK

They need to patch the ability to turn off button prompts. I don't need that constantly popping up during a replay.

Flarin

can someone please explain to me what's wrong with the controls

you use literally four buttons in this game. Jump, Drop, Action, Interact

RIGHT!? All I've been hearing is how unwieldy the controls are and how unpredictable Trico's AI is. Outside of one jump I have had zero problems. About 3 hours in and absolutely loving this game so far.

Shin-Ra

can someone please explain to me what's wrong with the controls

you use literally four buttons in this game. Jump, Drop, Action, Interact
There's the gigantuan deadzone on the right camera analog for a start. I think aiming the shield might have been just as bad on the left stick for the same reason.

Shin-Ra

Nice high res TLG logo there.
TLGlogo.png

And SVG DualShock 4!

God damn is this game getting good. I have no idea how far I am.
Just took a wild ride in a cage after getting attacked by the other Trico.

Communicating with Trico at this point is like second nature.

Not sure but the trophy for getting every message was at 0 percent not long ago. Something I don't think I've ever seen from a major console release even a week after it came out.

Interesting. Do we know if the dialogues that trigger when you get a trophy count?
_____

Man, i looove the ost in this game.

raven777

Finished the game. In short, I loved the experience I had. There were few issues like controls and camera, and there were 1 or 2 times where I had a bit of trouble issuing command to Trico. But the gorgeous experience of the game outweigh those issues I had.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

That's like... 60 percent of the way through.

Spaced33

What a wonderful game. Ueda knocked it out of the park again. The scale, the storytelling, the bond that develops with Trico are something really special. Not gonna lie, I cried a bit at the end. Probably the first time I can remember a game making me emotional. Man, I'm so happy with how it turned out! It's definitively not perfect and there are some frustrating aspects but overall what an experience!

AGoodODST

So I picked this up today. I have never played Ico or SotC so I'll see how I get on with it. I like what little I have played so far.

But holy shit does my three year old son LOVE this game. We sat and played for only about 30 mins and he was so excited every time Trico did anything. When I turned the game off he went over to our dog sleeping on the sofa and hugged her saying "You're my little Trico" lol.

That is one of those times where I thought "my god, this is amazing level design"

The fact a
physics based
set piece like that works in this game is a testament to absolutely outstanding level/environmental design. That whole sequence seems like it is truly working by sheer chance - it is mind blowing.

We're going to be looking back at this game, as we do with all of Ueda's games, years from now wondering how the fuck it was done and why has it not been mimicked since.

I am stuck on a puzzle guys and I'm hoping one of you can help me. I am at
the place that has that big black blob/orb in the center and you have use your shield to shine light on it
. What do I do?

ScOULaris

I am stuck on a puzzle guys and I'm hoping one of you can help me. I am at
the place that has that big black blob/orb in the center and you have use your shield to shine light on it
. What do I do?

I'll give you a small hint that will hopefully lead you to the solution on your own.

Shine your light on the dark goo until it's just barely surrounding the glowing center, then stop shining. You'll notice that the glowing center doesn't stun you and the goo will start expanding slowly instead of coming all back at once.

I'll give you a small hint that will hopefully lead you to the solution on your own.

Shine your light on the dark goo until it's just barely surrounding the glowing center, then stop shining. You'll notice that the glowing center doesn't stun you and the goo will start expanding slowly instead of coming all back at once.

Thanks I figured it out before I saw these replies, I love the environmental puzzles in this game! That ending tho, man I almost cried. Such a great game man.

Robot Pants

What a wonderful game. Ueda knocked it out of the park again. The scale, the storytelling, the bond that develops with Trico are something really special. Not gonna lie, I cried a bit at the end. Probably the first time I can remember a game making me emotional. Man, I'm so happy with how it turned out! It's definitively not perfect and there are some frustrating aspects but overall what an experience!
Yep me too. I cried like a baby and I'm totally fine with it

Agram

Finally completed The Last Guardian and it exceeded my expectations, it has the best ending I've ever experienced in video games.
This is such a perfect game and I'm so grateful that it actually exists. Thank you Ueda-san!

I finished this yesterday and I'm genuinely struggling to get invested in any other game.

It was just everything I wanted and more.

Just perfect. I've never been moved so much by a game since I was a kid dragging Yorda around or running about in Termina and watching the moon crash down.

Every second was simply magnificent. Gave my cats the biggest hugs ever after finishing it, my own little Tricos.

I just beat it for the third time and finally unlocked the spray. Trico looks both cute and weird if you change its color.

You can even combine several to make a rainbow Trico :3

PS: Is this somehow considered a spoiler? Should I move it to the other thread?

Arrgh, I think I might be nearing the end now, and I certainly don't want TLG to be over. I'm actually quite curious how long the timeframe is on the adventure that Trico and the boy go in-game, I'm trying to remember how many day/night cycles there were.
In the last two hours of play I had, the in-game sky went from day, to night, to dawn.

Like people were talking about a few comments back, one of the biggest surprises for me with TLG outside of Trico himself, has been the incredible level design. For the smaller indoor areas (like the area mentioned in the spoiler tagged comments above) to the sprawling outdoor ruins, the level design is fantastic in both scale and interconnectivity. It's again something I wasn't hugely expecting from the start of the game, but the levels continue to outdo themselves. I don't think I've been quite so impressed in this regard since Dark Souls 1, which is fitting, considering Miyazaki's inspirations! Again, not just the scale of the areas, but how the ruins are interconnected.
I thought it would be annoying to retread through areas you've been in before, but it's satisfying to have the familiarity, and then have a new way to interact with the area. One area that had caused me confusion early on was the cave where Trico later falls after the fight with the other guardian, and there is a dangling chain that takes you up to a higher level. I was really confused the first time I was there, as it was designed so that the boy could get up there by himself. I could also see that I'd need Trico's tail to blow up the wreckage, and we'd lost the shield by that point. When I realized where we were a second time, it was a big, satisfying AH-HA moment.

There's also nothing like seeing a small doorway you walked through far off in the distance, with Trico a bit closer on a bridge, whilst you're miles away scrambling and platforming along the side of the building. (The OG PS4 having more trouble with a tiny patch of grass than these huge areas continues to be the funniest thing ever. It's odd, I feel like the framerate has actually gotten better over the course of the game, because you spend such a miniscule amount of time in small, grassy areas.) It's been a long time since I've seen a world so beautifully and logically connected, the design is very satisfying - as I said above, it definitely reminds me of Dark Souls 1. It's been a long, long, long time since I've played Ico, but if I remember correctly, Ico also had some clever level design, just on a much smaller scale. TLG brought a lot of things to the table that I wasn't expecting in general. The tension during the platforming is brutal, too. It's not like the game isn't quite generous with your jumps, but you've got to make sure you've sensibly lined up the jump correctly. I don't mind heights as such, but even I was holding my breath a lot and tensing with jumps.

I still love that the partnership between the boy and Trico is constantly at the core of every element of the game. Throughout the entire game, it never gets old to see Trico desperately coming to your rescue, and you desperately (hopefully, unless you're a dick) coming to Trico's.
The Trico versus Guardian fight was distressingly stressful, much like Trico being trapped on the pillar and being pelted by spears earlier in the game. The Trico vs. Guardian scene was an incredible combination of level design, pacing, and player interaction. At first I wasn't sure if I was just supposed to protect Trico by pulling the spears out, and he'd get up and fight back, but no, that wasn't the case. I felt awful. Another memorable moment was Trico causing a cave-in, and being trapped in the tunnel whilst you go looking for a way out. The moment when you're being chased by the suits of armour, calling for Trico, and then hearing him bellow back, before he comes to fuck shit up? so goooooooodddd
TLG is great a giving frustration and catharsis through gameplay mechanics, too.
After I lost the shield, there were so many times when I wished I had it back. Of course, when you do get it back, it was satisfying Creepy Eye explosion city.

This gaaaaaame, GAF! I don't want it to end, but I think it's better to leave the player wanting more, than overstaying its welcome. The game is a hell of a longer than I thought it would be, though I'm looking forward to watching speedruns. This is the most I've ever gotten around to posting in an OT, too, so I blame Ueda and his team for that. It's been a long time since I've been so smitten with a game as I was playing it, that I've spent as much time babbling about it as playing it!

Kilau

Finished last night, so damn good.

Not having this game to look forward to anymore is so strange, must play through again.

gfxtwin

I can't stop thinking about the possibilities of what Ueda's next game might be. What I'm hoping is that it's open world, like SOTC. Only maybe this time instead of taking place in a sealed-away section of landscape it takes place on a huge island surrounded by ocean. You are stranded there, much like you are sealed away from escape in every Ueda game. And maybe instead of finding 16 colossi, your goal is to travel to a certain number of ruins and "dungeons" to solve puzzles. Maybe there are 10 or more ruined structures (small castles and various other structures similar to the various ruins in SOTC). And to traverse the world quickly maybe there's another horse or maybe the protagonist is granted an ability to fly for a certain amount of time. Not sure who the companion character would be though.

So I think I've grown used to the climbing controls, at least. You really have very little direct control over the boy when he's climbing Trico; you just kind of have to hold the analogue stick forward and wait for him to work it out for himself. You get in situations where you're looking at Trico from his right side, with the boy on his left side, and holding Up on the analogue stick will make the boy climb towards the camera, whereas at any other point in the game, Up would make him move away from the camera. It's unintuitive, but you can get used to it. Not being able to get off Trico when I want to is infuriating, though. Going from a hold button in SOTC to auto-climbing was a bad choice.

What I really can't get used to is this wretched camera, which is the worst I've experienced in years. Why is the acceleration curve so ludicrous that I have to hold the analogue stick in a direction for a full second or two before it moves at a decent rate? Why does it fight me when I want to look up? Half the time you need to be climbing to progress in this game, but the camera doesn't want you to look up; it constantly tries to re-centre itself and slows to a crawl if you point it up too far. If you ever get too close to a wall it's just pandemonium, and God help you if you're riding Trico and you get sandwiched up against the ceiling.

Honestly, what would you lose if the game just had a decent camera? I'm perfectly OK with not having direct control over Trico, and I can mostly handle the boy's poor controls, but the camera? It's not a character in the world; it's not part of the story. There's no artistic value to a shitty camera, it's just a glaring flaw. Fighting the camera has been a greater challenge than any actual gameplay challenge the game has posed to me.

No_Style

Just finished it and I loved it. But I can totally understand why some would not enjoy its finickiness and other issues. I bought in to Trico being a living being with a mind of its own that needs coaxing.

silva1991

I just beat it for the third time and finally unlocked the spray. Trico looks both cute and weird if you change its color.

You can even combine several to make a rainbow Trico :3

PS: Is this somehow considered a spoiler? Should I move it to the other thread?

That ... is unexpected thing to have in this game lol.

Can we unlock collar for Trico too? :p

About an hour in and absolutely stunned by how unique and powerful this game is.

I have zero issues wit controlling Trico.. It behaves like a living animal and not gamey, so it's perfectly fitting.

Can I get a small hint for
the arena room where Trico keeps playing with the cogwheel
? There is an area outside he refuses to jump up to, so I am just going to assume he is right, but I can't figure out what to do.

Ratrat

Can I get a small hint for
the arena room where Trico keeps playing with the cogwheel
? There is an area outside he refuses to jump up to, so I am just going to assume he is right, but I can't figure out what to do.
The cogwheel that opens the small gates? You need somehing in one of them.

So I'm in a chamber where you have to remove a
glowing pot from one chain and hang it on another so Trico will grab it and pull it to open a gate.
I get on the other side of the gate after he
pulls the chain, but once I'm there I move this gear thing into position and I'm assuming I need to wedge it under the gate...only Trico isn't pulling it enough for me to slide it under.

What am I missing?

I'm stuck at the
first water level I believe

It's the one where the boy try to dispose the pot with green smoke but the platform breaks and he falls down

Anyone can help? much appreciated.

Top Bottom