• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Donthizz#

I'm stuck at the
first water level I believe

It's the one where the boy try to dispose the pot with green smoke but the platform breaks and he falls down

Anyone can help? much appreciated.

move the box towards the back, and tell trico to put it's tail down.

move the box towards the back, and tell trico to put it's tail down.

Thanks. That's what I though as well, but he won't do it
so I thought there was a passage under water or maybe I didn't put the box at the right spot??
I guess I should just try harder.

So I'm in a chamber where you have to remove a
glowing pot from one chain and hang it on another so Trico will grab it and pull it to open a gate.
I get on the other side of the gate after he
pulls the chain, but once I'm there I move this gear thing into position and I'm assuming I need to wedge it under the gate...only Trico isn't pulling it enough for me to slide it under.

What am I missing?

My Trico did it willingly. It took him/her a cople of tries though until the gate was high enough.

Due to all the negativity from friends and various review sites, I expected this to be bad. I went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised with this game. I loved almost every second of it. There was a couple frustrating moments, the most frustrating one was
being stuck in a tree, because the game isn't good at telling you things. I didn't know that R1 could be mixed with other buttons to make him do things. I had to find out from a youtube comment when I was trying to figure out what to do after being stuck in the tree for almost two hours...
But even despite that, I still adore this game.

The cutscenes by the way, even if a small amount... are amazingly good quality. I'd really like to see more of this kind of stuff from Ueda, but I'm fine with the way the game told it's story. I don't think I'll go back, but I'll definitely remember The Last Guardian.

SomTervo

Can I get a small hint for
the arena room where Trico keeps playing with the cogwheel
? There is an area outside he refuses to jump up to, so I am just going to assume he is right, but I can't figure out what to do.

I think this is the only badly designed bit of the game I've played so far. Nothing teaches you what he can do beforehand and the upper platform is blocked from you even though it's a locked gate anyway. If you could get up there and see it's locked you'd try more stuff in the main room and put probably solve it. Also Trico should just use the
cog
himself, he clearly already knows what to do.

bud

trico won't listen to me or i don't know how to make him listen to me.

i'm at the underwater section. he went underwater just fine the first time around. but now i need for him to do it again.

i'm in the cave with the pillars. i can see the underwater passage, so i know where to go. but he won't take me there.

please provide assistance.

BeeDog

i'm at the underwater section. he went underwater just fine the first time around. but now i need for him to do it again.

i'm in the cave with the pillars. i can see the underwater passage, so i know where to go. but he won't take me there.

Have you opened the second gate? It's similar to the first section in that you have to pull a lever first before he dives.

Have you raised the gate? If you haven't, go into the alcove that has the lever above you. Call to Trico via R1 (who is most likely standing on land), he'll come crashing into the water and cause a tidal wave that will give you the height you need to grab onto the ledge. If you've done the above, the most straightforward way I got Trico to drive was to have him jump into water from the small hill whilst I was on his back, and then hold down R1+X to dive because he'd automatically be in line with the door underwater. I had problems for ages because I didn't know how to get to the lever, and then once I did, the whole process took less than a minute, including getting Trico to dive.

I gotta say the finickiness of the camera and being stuck in a corridor while all you see is black on the screen is making me not want to play the game. I really want to like this but btw the control and the camera, I don't feel like playing this much. Something about the way it moves makes me queasy.

so i got him to dive, but... he went back to the other area. 💀

kill me

Ha, ouch. All is fair in love and diving!

Trico will automatically go and hang out on dry land in the second diving area, and tends to sit like a vulture on top of the small cliff. Jump on his back, tell him to dive in whilst aiming in the direction you want to go. As soon as he hit the water, I think I immediately held down forward and R1+X so he'd dive in the direction I wanted. I had him dive three times with no issue doing this... it was just the first two times I hadn't lifted the gate, poor Trico! I found the dive to be really straightforward if I asked him do it just after he'd jumped in, especially as he's automatically facing in the right direction. He knows where to go when he dives, it's just making sure he's facing the direction you want him to go.

Zesh

Finished the game. I haven't played Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, but I decided to get this one on a whim during the Best Buy Visa Checkout promotion, and I'm glad I did.

Trico was amazing and incredibly life-like. His mannerisms and reactions to everything were very endearing, and the relationship between him and the boy was very touching to see develop over the course of the game. I was quite satisfied with the ending as well.

Unfortunately, the game does have a few technical issues, but I was playing on a Pro, which mitigated some of them. However, it was still a great experience despite the issues.

I had actually been looking forward to FFXV/Versus XIII for the better part of a decade, and when I finally played it, I was a bit disappointed. On the other hand, The Last Guardian wasn't on my radar at all, and it delivered a much better experience for me. Funny how that works out.

Unknown?

Due to all the negativity from friends and various review sites, I expected this to be bad. I went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised with this game. I loved almost every second of it. There was a couple frustrating moments, the most frustrating one was
being stuck in a tree, because the game isn't good at telling you things. I didn't know that R1 could be mixed with other buttons to make him do things. I had to find out from a youtube comment when I was trying to figure out what to do after being stuck in the tree for almost two hours...

The cutscenes by the way, even if a small amount... are amazingly good quality. I'd really like to see more of this kind of stuff from Ueda, but I'm fine with the way the game told it's story. I don't think I'll go back, but I'll definitely remember The Last Guardian.

What?! The negativity is fairly minimal, most reviews are highly positive. If you go by average a few really drag it down but an overwhelming majority are 8-9 with lots of 10s too. Glad you enjoyed it though. :)

olimpia84

Just started this game and put about 2 hours. So far I really like it, it's similar to Ico which is one of my favorite games of all time so I'm cool with that. There are some performance issues with the frame rate and also problems with the controls and camera angles but not enough to completely affect my experience on a negative way (and besides we're kind of used to those things if you played both Team Ico's games before).

ScOULaris

Just started this game and put about 2 hours. So far I really like it, it's similar to Ico which is one of my favorite games of all time so I'm cool with that. There are some performance issues with the frame rate and also problems with the controls and camera angles but not enough to completely affect my experience on a negative way (and besides we're kind of used to those things if you played both Team Ico's games before).
FYI - Don't use rest mode during your playthrough of this game. I noticed higher framerates when fully shutting down my PS4 between play sessions when compared to suspending and resuming from rest mode. Seems like the game might have a memory leak that worsens the longer you play without restarting the PS4 or at least closing and relaunching the TLG application.

EndMerit

Finished the game. What a strong final area and ending in general, I was awed and even teared up in few places.

As a side note, I checked the trophy list only after finishing the game. What a weird feeling reading the trophy descriptions and finding out how many secrets and gameplay mechanics I didn't even know I missed. I actually figured on my own that you can pull off enemies' heads during the game's last fight against them, but I had no idea I could cling onto their backs or throw stuff at them. Not to mention balancing several barrels at once and... costumes!? Different colors for Trico!?

Anyone care to give me a rough idea what percentage of the way through I am?

Just got to the part where
the other Trico battled my Trico in that huge cylindrical tower. Bad Trico got his mask knocked off and flew away, good Trico is lying on the ground and coughed up the lightning shield thing.

Wabba

Just finished. What a journey. So rare to see such a unique game, its far between. I need some time to prosess but i think this is my favorite game this year.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone care to give me a rough idea what percentage of the way through I am?

Just got to the part where
the other Trico battled my Trico in that huge cylindrical tower. Bad Trico got his mask knocked off and flew away, good Trico is lying on the ground and coughed up the lightning shield thing.

About 60%, maybe a bit more of the way through the game.

Aspiring

I dont understand this because the game DOES tell you that you can do that....

Glad you enjoyed it. It is an amazinggame and part of the fun was working out the puzzles. I actually thought the button propmts came up a little too often but obviously i was wrong?

Blobbers

Well that was a powerful experience. I'm so glad Ueda got to realize his vision after all these years of uncertainty. The poor framerate is really the only complaint I have.

Those trophies though. How about no lol.

Its such an excellent opening line. I mean, we have games about friendship and stuff but nothing on the scale of TLG. It's just remarkable and Im so happy it exists.

I hate seeing videos like Dunkeys where the game is made out to look worse than it is. I know it shouldn't bother me and its funny, but I just think so many people just end up demonizing the game wrongfully, when we should be embracing games like this

I can't stop thinking about the possibilities of what Ueda's next game might be. What I'm hoping is that it's open world, like SOTC. Only maybe this time instead of taking place in a sealed-away section of landscape it takes place on a huge island surrounded by ocean. You are stranded there, much like you are sealed away from escape in every Ueda game. And maybe instead of finding 16 colossi, your goal is to travel to a certain number of ruins and "dungeons" to solve puzzles. Maybe there are 10 or more ruined structures (small castles and various other structures similar to the various ruins in SOTC). And to traverse the world quickly maybe there's another horse or maybe the protagonist is granted an ability to fly for a certain amount of time. Not sure who the companion character would be though.

Ahh, I want to just ask him whats next. Can somebody tell me? How long did it take for SOTC and TLG to get announced? When did we find out sequels were coming? I cant take the silence

OK, wow this game is pretty substantial, yet the pacing is excellent.

Thanks!

Yes! It's a very meaty game, well worth the full price tag. I would have been a bit disappointed if the game was more like 6 hours. Not that it cant tell a good story in that time, but the length of this game was perfect as were the platforming sections. Feels like I got to do it all.

Some of the level design is breathtaking. The area with the cage? Amazing.

The platforming to destroy the eye-wards? The ending level?

Just so fantastic.

Plum

Motherfucking goddamn it. Just lost about 4 hours of progress because Sony's transfer process from my old PS4 deleted all the save data I had accrued since first installing the Pro. For some reason it didn't upload to online storage either.

This is sapping my motivation to start the game again so I'm just going to wait a week or two then I can finally get into this.

For fucks sake.

Hey guys, I need help with something at the very end of the game.
The orb thing you run into under the giant fan. I checked out a video walkthough just to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, but after shining light on it from the shield and trying to climb the cage, the black ooze expands waaaay faster in my game than in the videos I've seen so I don't know how I'm supposed to get up there.
Did I miss something? Is this a glitch?

HStallion

Hey guys, I need help with something at the very end of the game.
The orb thing you run into under the giant fan. I checked out a video walkthough just to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, but after shining light on it from the shield and trying to climb the cage, the black ooze expands waaaay faster in my game than in the videos I've seen so I don't know how I'm supposed to get up there.
Did I miss something? Is this a glitch?

You need to see how the mirror reacts with the black goo more. Try doing what you're doing but a little different

Porkepik

Started playing a couple of days ago and like it a lot but my daughter of nearly 12 is even more enamored with the game than me. She started her own playthrough and is already well past my position in the game. She loves Trico, she can really relate to it. Its a great realisation. She is normaly playing on her ipad quick time wasters, watching youtubers or playing with my son minecraft (or skyrim). I don t remember the last time she played that much with a puzzle/adventure game. So it must strike the right chord with her.
All in all great game and a good switch from the last 2 games I played (the single player campsigns of cod bo3 and infinite warfare)

The only problem with that, she has been squatting the ps4pro and projector room 😭, I have been relegated to the living room , small lcd and the og ps4 snif snif snif

HStallion

Started playing a couple of days ago and like it a lot but my daughter of nearly 12 is even more enamored with the game than me. She started her own playthrough and is already well past my position in the game. She loves Trico, she can really relate to it. Its a great realisation. She is normaly playing on her ipad quick time wasters, watching youtubers or playing with my son minecraft (or skyrim). I don t remember the last time she played that much with a puzzle/adventure game. So it must strike the right chord with her.
All in all great game and a good switch from the last 2 games I played (the single player campsigns of cod bo3 and infinite warfare)

The only problem with that, she has been squatting the ps4pro and projector room 😭, I have been relegated to the living room , small lcd and the og ps4 snif snif snif

Really cool to see this story and all the others of people's children enjoying the game with their parents. I've actually recommended it to some friends of mine with PS4's that have kids that I think are old or mature enough to handle it. There aren't many games like The Last Guardian that can appeal to all ages in such a touching way.

Porkepik

Really cool to see this story and all the others of people's children enjoying the game with their parents. I've actually recommended it to some friends of mine with PS4's that have kids that I think are old or mature enough to handle it. There aren't many games like The Last Guardian that can appeal to all ages in such a touching way.
Totally agree on that. These kind of games are very rare. I m glad that my kids enjoy videogames as much as me but what I love is being able to play and share experiences with them . This is a perfect example of a game that can touch different generations .
I like being able to play skylanders or lego games with them but the last guardian is much more involved regarding feelings and needs a thought process. Oh and youtubers are not that bad, my daughter knew about the game before I showed it through one of them that she is following (squeezie)

Lichter

Just finished it, my first Ueda game.

Absolutely marvelous, what an experience. There are some obvious issues (camera, framerate and Trico not obeying sometimes) that are frustrating but this epic adventure completely erases these imperfections. Congrats to genDESIGN and SIE.

Salaadin

Just finished it, my first Ueda game.

Absolutely marvelous, what an experience. There are some obvious issues (camera, framerate and Trico not obeying sometimes) that are frustrating but this epic adventure completely erases these imperfections. Congrats to genDESIGN and SIE.

I love reading impressions but I think the "this was my first Ueda game" impressions are my favorite. Welcome to the club :)

Porkepik

One thing to add is I m really suprised this turned out as good as it is with the dev saga it went through. I m really happy about that. Sadly I m sure it will be a big while before (if) we get another ueda game. I loved Ico back then., shadow of colossus did it a bit less for me and I m quite happy Tlg is much more similar to ico

SirNinja

Welp, just crashed the game...and pretty much corrupted my save.

Trying to get the 5-hour speedrun trophy. Despite some stupid mistakes, I was making good time; I got to the part where
the duo get smacked down through a building
at about the 2-hour mark. Trico finally
rescued me and jumped down; I immediately went for the barrel to feed him. Did the barrel puzzle and decided to toss the barrel down at him because what the hell. To my surprise, Trico expertly catches the barrel in midair and eats it (not usually something he does when he refuses to move from hunger
). I jump down onto Trico's back, ready to go, when the narrator says:

"
The beast sat down once more. I decided to go in search of more barrels...
"

...Uh-oh.

I try to get Trico to
move, but he's just sitting there now, expecting to be fed with the barrel. The one that I just fed him with

I reload the checkpoint, and...nothing. For five minutes. I restart the game, choose Continue...still nothing. Guess that's the end of that run.

(Fortunately I had the game save backed up on a USB drive before I started the run, but still...that really sucks. So, a tip for any would-be speedrunners: go fast, but not so fast that the narrator screws you over. :p Also, even if you aren't trying for a speed run: back up your save regularly onto an external device, or PS+ if you turn auto-uploads off for TLG. Unlike Ueda's other games, there's only one file, and if you lose that you're out of luck.)

I just finished it. I'm high on emotions right now, but I think this is my game of the generation thus far.

The issues are pretty obvious: the camera, framerate (I have a Pro), and controls are problematic. In addition, there are moments where Trico's response to commands could have been balanced better, or where it was not clear where I was supposed to go/do next. However overall, this game is just a masterpiece. Its gorgeous, uniquely emotionally engaging, and atmospheric as hell. I think I could go on and on about how beautiful I think this game looks. My jaw was constantly dropping: what stands out in particular are the physics (love the wind), animation, and the art style. But more than anything, this is the most "cinematic" game I have ever played. I kind of hate using that term because it has such a bad rep here, but I'm finding it very hard to really describe how I feel about it otherwise. It was as if I was actually in a movie, except controlling it. I was watching the story constantly unfold around me, in response to my actions. To me there wasn't any filler at all-every scene, environment, and puzzle was contextualized and had a purpose. I cant even believe how important those fucking crates turned out to be in some set pieces. And those set pieces, wow. They were constantly playing with my heart lol. That was one thing the game kept surprising me with actually - the amount and sheer goodness of those set pieces. And god damn some of the puzzles in this game are so damn cool. Very creative, and many of them play off the simple way you interact with Trico. The ending was so crazy too, loved it.

It really was as if I was playing an amazing movie. The more "in your face" storytelling, compared to SotC and Ico, was perfect. I fucking love it all.

Right now, I think my ranking is:
Tie between Ico and TLG > Shadow of the Colussus. I need more time to digest everything, but I think TLG will edge out Ico in due time.

Man what a ride. I hope to god we can get another Ueda game this generation.

labx

Banned
Aside from the camera issues and controls. This game man, Ueda is really and artist. This game is a piece of art. The game is a surreal experience, such finesse and subtlety in every aspect of this game that I'm in awe.

One of the best games I've ever play.

SirNinja

So these Trico plushes need to be an official thing

the_last_guardian_trico_2.jpg
the_last_guardian_trico_4.jpg
the_last_guardian_trico_3.jpg

I know, it's a bit old, but a lot of people still probably haven't seen these.

EDIT: Shuhei Yoshida got one!

Gradly

I finished the game and completely in love with it. As many said the issues were the weird camera and controlling the boy was really bad and frustrating. Trico is the best thing in the game better than expected, very lifelike and interacting with him was very satisfying.

I wish there was a chapter select menu to experience parts of the story again, I don't have the urge to play the entire game again though

I finished the game and completely in love with it. As many said the issues were the weird camera and controlling the boy was really bad and frustrating. Trico is the best thing in the game better than expected, very lifelike and interacting with him was very satisfying.

I wish there was a chapter select menu to experience parts of the story again, I don't have the urge to play the entire game again though

Man I love that kid.

He's just as animated and loveable as Trico. The way he calls for Trico, his pathetic balance, his inhuman grip, the way he hides behind Trico whenever the Eagle guards get him.

Been randomly listening to ICO/SoTC songs. I dont have a tat, but sometimes I really want one of SoTC.

I just love this series so much.

Top Bottom