• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

leng jai

Can people who bet the special edition comment if they thinks it worth £105? Thanks

Not really, but it's still one of the better ones. Depends on how much you want the statue which is by far the best part. The steelbook is nice but it's luck of the draw whether you get one with marks on it. The outer box is really nice too though it's just cardboard. The artbook has an amazing cover but content wise it's disappointingly sparse.

SirNinja

Can people who bet the special edition comment if they thinks it worth £105? Thanks

For me, it was. The artbook isn't as many pages as I'd like, but the Trico statue is really impressive. (They kinda messed up the boy's looks, but he's so tiny it's hard to see). The digital OST is really nice too, although it's only about 60-70% of the full soundtrack.

eXistor

For me it is. The statue looks nice, but be aware that it's an obviously plastic one. The base especially has a cheap-ish plastic look to it. The actual form factor is great though. The art-book is okay I guess, but even though I like the art it's not something that really adds much value to a special edition unless it's really eleborate. This one is not. The packaging itself is cool, looks like a wooden box. Coupled with the timeless classic that is the game itself, I'd say it's worth it.

i would consider giving this game a 9 but ehh... i dunno. the last couple hours were a bit too, absolutely amazing maybe? i'd have to give it a 10. yeah..
It's crazy how a good endgame can elevate a game that much more. I agree. I think the entire game is wonderful, but the ending just knocked it out of the park and cemented it as a classic for me.

JP

Just completed it.

Wow!!! That really was a The Last of Us style emotional journey for me, I feel absolutely drained. Such a horrific game at times but I was just sitting there with a massive smile on my face for the majority of the game.

This is by far the best game of the year for me, absolutely outstanding and on my favourite games ever. The Witness was favourite game of the year and I really didn't see anything else approach that let alone beat it but this definitely has.

This game really needs a proper photo mode, I must have taken hundreds of screen shots while I played through it. The way they handled the sunlight in that last 20% or so was just mind blowing for me.

I've really enjoyed all three of Ueda's games but this is by far my favourite of the three. Although I played the earlier two many times on the PS2 I didn't really bother with them so much on the PS3 but I would absolutely love for those both to get a PS4 release now.

Some reviews that I read suggested that it went on just a little too long but I think could have happily carried on playing if there was gameplay there to justify a longer game.

I'll definitely play through this again but it's the sort of game that I'd rather put aside for a while rather than rushing back in, I think some game really benefit from being left alone after you complete them.

Absolutely fantastic, so happy that I've been able to play this, what an absolute joy for me. :)

Just saw this on Nick Suttner's Twitter feed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3869930799/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last Guard art book (and other stuff) that is set to come out in February. Seems pretty well done. I pre-ordered.

FUCK YES! Future Press + Nick Suttner is fantastic combo, I loved his Shadow of the Colossus book. Thanks for sharing. Sony, I also really need a little Trico figurine like the statue images that are used for the various time completion trophies.

Guymelef

Just saw this on Nick Suttner's Twitter feed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3869930799/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last Guardian art book and guide (with other stuff) that is set to come out in February. Seems pretty well done. I pre-ordered.

tenor.gif

I think TLG is one of the most organic games I've played in a while. I heard Trico whine and I instantly recognized the emotional tone and said out loud in my room, don't worry Trico I'll be back, and then the boy said the same thing. The emotional bond in this game is stronger than any other this year, easily.

Just finished.
Me right now...
Dawson_Crying.gif

Through U4 was going to be the only time I would choke up time year. I was even getting pissed a few minutes before the ending with the gameplay, but naw all is forgiven :)

EDIT: Oh shit there's an
after credit!
Edit: :,)

Just beat the game myself,wow....I think this game might be in my top 10 all-time now...Truly an amazing game, and I'm so happy it was never canceled.What an emotional roller coaster

Gbraga

A few more days and I'll finally play this!

The wait was a lot easier than I was expecting, thanks to FFXV. Playing this for the first time on christmas morning should be pretty special.

BeeDog

So, patch 1.03 was just released. Didn't catch its filesize, but it seemed to get downloaded super-fast so I'd assume it's very small.

Anyone put it to the test yet?

I'm pretty sure it was Jim Sterling that said he couldn't trust that TRICO or the game would work. I think that says more about him than the game. In fact, I can always trust that Trico will take his time. Trico will understand me or straight up figure things out on his own.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm pretty sure it was Jim Sterling that said he couldn't trust that TRICO or the game would work. I think that says more about him than the game. In fact, I can always trust that Trico will take his time. Trico will understand me or straight up figure things out on his own.

Jim sounds like he made some of the more common mistakes with interacting and dealing with Trico which he never really got around.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I finished this last night. Have to say I really liked it and I'm glad I took a chance on it after not liking SotC at all, and not really playing Ico.

I wasn't as blown away as many, unsurprising since I wasn't going in a big Ueda fan, and I'm not big on puzzle type games in general. But I was still impressed by Trico and his AI and how well they developed the relationship between him and the boy, and it was a beautiful game in terms of art design and lighting.

I'd probably give it an 8.5 overall. I can't go higher due to the jankyness in controlling the boy and the camera leading to a lot of frustration, and just not enjoying the gameplay a lot (again, that's on me as it's just not my type of game not being big in to puzzlers or platformers).

Agreed. I never had problems getting Trico to do what was need. I did get frustrated/annoyed waiting on him to do it sometimes, especially in the later quarter when I was getting to the point of just wanting to get the game over with. But that's on me as I'm just not a patient gamer and the novelty of watching him figure it out like a real animal had worn off.

Mupod

I want to do the thing where you pet Trico's nose and he nuzzles you in the most adorable way but I keep magnetizing to his foot instead. Dammit, how do you trigger this.

A-V-B

I want to do the thing where you pet Trico's nose and he nuzzles you in the most adorable way but I keep magnetizing to his foot instead. Dammit, how do you trigger this.

Just stand right in front of him, go "TURRIKURR", and wait. More often than not, he'll put his face right in front of you for the pets, where much laughing and rubbing may then ensue.

silva1991

Call him and stay still in front of him and there is like 50% chance that he will let you pet his nose.

the "50% chance" is obviously from my ass, but it always seemed like this in my first play through lol.

Cheska

Have a general question about combat in the game.

How the hell do you pull the helmets off the guards? I approach them when they're "fallen/on bended knee" and have tried pressing O, X and triangle and nothing seems to happen except I get captured again -_-

How the hell do you pull the helmets off the guards? I approach them when they're "fallen/on bended knee" and have tried pressing O, X and triangle and nothing seems to happen except I get captured again -_-

If they are laying down, go over to the head and use O. It seems to be easier later in the game when Trico knocks a soldier down.

HStallion

Trico needs to knock them flat on their backs from what I've seen.

SirNinja

So, patch 1.03 was just released. Didn't catch its filesize, but it seemed to get downloaded super-fast so I'd assume it's very small.

Anyone put it to the test yet?

It's 167.2 MB for anyone wondering. Downloading now, will try to test a few things.

EDIT: Patch notes are the exact same as 1.02: "Various other improvements and fixes have also been made."

balohna

Weird question about Trico's horns...
do they grow back at some point? After a certain point I noticed they're pristine, but I remembered them being broken earlier in the game. Not sure if a bug or intentional. If it turns out this isn't the same creature, please don't tell me. Haven't finished it yet.

silva1991

Weird question about Trico's horns...
do they grow back at some point? After a certain point I noticed they're pristine, but I remembered them being broken earlier in the game. Not sure if a bug or intentional. If it turns out this isn't the same creature, please don't tell me. Haven't finished it yet.

do they grow back at some point

they do slowly

Just finished it. My god that ending absolutely killed me. It's up there with Brothers for one of the most ingenious uses of the controller.
the dawning realization that I had to command Trico to leave, oh my god

I didn't think games could really effect me emotionally anymore. But wow I was wrong. This is one of if not the best gaming experience I've ever had.

balohna

they do slowly

Good to know, thanks. It was after
you're seperated from him and have the encounter with the other creature (climbing around stuff, getting trapped in a cage, etc.) and I wondered if the game was referencing the wrong model or something, or if the Trico that rescued me wasn't the same Trico.

King_Moc

Banned
R1 + triangle while on his back was pretty reliable for getting him to jump or even identify jumps on his own.

I know, I'm halfway through the game. He just wouldn't do it. I was even looking for other routes as it had convinced me that wasn't the right route, even though there was nowhere else.

HStallion

So people are saying the latest patch removes a lot of the button prompts from the game. I'm not home and won't be for a few hours. Anyone testing this out to see if its true?

SirNinja

No new options added by the patch. Could just be me, but it seems like the framerate's a little better in areas with heavy foliage. I'm on PS4 Pro @1080p though so I have no idea whether regular PS4s (or Pro users playing at 1890p) have it any better than before.

So people are saying the latest patch removes a lot of the button prompts from the game. I'm not home and won't be for a few hours. Anyone testing this out to see if its true?

Haven't seen anything different on that front either, although I'm still in the beginning parts of the game (on a new playthrough) right now. Hopefully the prompts are dialed back as the game goes on.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I have experienced the weirdest thing just now.

Until today I used to play this on my old 1080p 50hz TV. No problems there, game ran just fine and Trico blew me away with his behaviour and animations.

However, today I bought a new TV, 4K HDR 100 Hz. Can't say I see any noticable differences, but one thing that really bugs me is that Trico's animations have changed. He now turns his head into his own neck. He's looking down, then continues into his neck, and his head comes out on the other side, making a complete loop. He has done this several times now, and sometimes the head makes a 360 sideways as well.

Never saw this before. Happened right away with the new TV, and has now happened multiple times.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I don't know what to believe...

Game is playable as usual though, but it sure takes away from the immersion.

How the fuck do I get down from this fucking branch. Been dangling here for about ten minutes and I've got no idea what to do. This is just frustrating now.

Top Bottom