• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

ScOULaris

I looked at the trophies after finishing and have a couple questions.

There's one for painting Trico, but I don't remember painting. When/where does this happen?

Same question for the outfits trophy. I don't remember seeing any outfits anywhere.

Apparently I didn't explore or get creative enough on my first playthrough.

Both of those don't come into play until your second playthrough. Press start on your second game and check out the Items menu option.

Wensih

The most unfortunate thing about this game is the camera which is a struggle to focus on Trico. A lot of the wonder and awe is missed because the camera is focused on the boy's back, really wish that the camera was more fixed like in Ico.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
A masterpiece. This game was a breath of fresh air this console generation. There is nothing else like it.

Also, am I the only one who actually enjoyed the controls and had no problem with them? Did a lot of the people reviewing the game have played a videogame before? (let alone an Ueda game).

Yeah, I didn't have an issue with the controls, or Trico listening to me, at all. The game was nothing but an absolute pleasure to play.

I lost a lot of respect for reviewers(the little I had left), especially Jim.Sterling. A 6.5 for this masterpiece is blasphemy. I actually unsubscribed from his Patreon because of it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The most unfortunate thing about this game is the camera which is a struggle to focus on Trico. A lot of the wonder and awe is missed because the camera is focused on the boy's back, really wish that the camera was more fixed like in Ico.

L1 will focus the camera on Trico and is also a way to reset it when it starts to get troublesome or stuck somewhere awkward.

Vard

I just made it to the first water section where you have to get Trico to
dive under through that little tunnel. I get him in the water, tell him to 'jump' and he dives down to the bottom with me on his back, then comes back up.
What am I doing wrong?
Did you already pull the lever that opens the gate that's down there?

Horns

I'm only two hours into it, but there's this audio cue I keep randomly hearing and don't have a clue what it means. It sounds like something you would hear when text would appear or there's something near by you should look for. I heard it last right before you see
another trico way above you.
Wish I could articulate what it sounds like better.

Alucrid

Banned
I just made it to the first water section where you have to get Trico to
dive under through that little tunnel. I get him in the water, tell him to 'jump' and he dives down to the bottom with me on his back, then comes back up.
What am I doing wrong?

once the gate is open call him into the water, stand on his back, face him towards the tunnel and press r1+O

A masterpiece. This game was a breath of fresh air this console generation. There is nothing else like it.

Also, am I the only one who actually enjoyed the controls and had no problem with them? Did a lot of the people reviewing the game have played a videogame before? (let alone an Ueda game).

Honestly think some players were hitting the input method to direct trico too many times so it would reset rather then let the full animation play out. Trico took a few seconds to go in a direction but that was it in regards of ai issues. Had some camera issues but that's rarely managed well in most games. All in all a 10/10 game that was revitalised my excitement in the ps4 after a quiet year minus dark souls 3 and ffxv.

I can't finish this game. Trico's behavior and emotion just brings joy and tears to my eyes. I am afraid how this game ends. It's too much for me to handle T_T

Mutombo

Can I just be that guy that complains then?

I'm not really having a lot fun. The puzzles so far have been not really needed any problem solving - more of a, look, explore, find, come back thing, which is repeated throughout the game. If actually gone on this forum to ask how to proceed because I didn't know how, only to get the answer I already tried a bunch of times but Trico simply jumped against the ceiling, instead of towards the open point.

Then there are puzzles where you have to roll barrels and jump after them to stop rolling off of cliffs. This, with the physics, is rage inducing in a game that should be about... friendship with a beast? Using your beast physics and you to smartly navigate the puzzle world?

The parts with the enemies are annoying as well. Sure, you get the feeling of helplessness, and I actually quite like the button mashing because that reflects how you feel at that moment. But the thing I'm having trouble with, with this game, is that you figure out what to do quite quickly. But then you just have to fight the controls, the camera, and Trico's AI, in order to get to that point.

The fun part in solving a puzzle is finding the solution. But the Last Guardian forces you to find the fun part in actually getting to the solution, and I'm not really seeing it so far.

I haven't completed it, so I might get to better puzzles and more exciting platforming parts. The game definitely has soul. There is a certain magic to the whole world, the animations, the way the boy speaks to Trico, etc. But so far I can sort of see where the negative comments come from, yeah.

Oh and Shadow of the Colussus is one of my favourite games, i you want to know.

Can I just be that guy that complains then?

I'm not really having a lot fun. The puzzles so far have been not really needed any problem solving - more of a, look, explore, find, come back thing, which is repeated throughout the game. If actually gone on this forum to ask how to proceed because I didn't know how, only to get the answer I already tried a bunch of times but Trico simply jumped against the ceiling, instead of towards the open point.

If you were invited at a friend's place and he tells you to make yourself at home and you want to make coffee? Where do you go? The kitchen. Logical, but you won't consider that a "puzzle". That's the same type of mentality you should go through the obstacles of the game. This isn't the Witness or a point-and-click adventure experience. It's about a boy and a hybrid animal and their journey together.

Then there are puzzles where you have to roll barrels and jump after them to stop rolling off of cliffs. This, with the physics, is rage inducing in a game that should be about... friendship with a beast? Using your beast physics and you to smartly navigate the puzzle world?

I don't remember this particular part at all in the game. As for Trico, you're supposed to use him as an extension of yourself. The puzzle is working with him NOT the environment.

The parts with the enemies are annoying as well. Sure, you get the feeling of helplessness, and I actually quite like the button mashing because that reflects how you feel at that moment. But the thing I'm having trouble with, with this game, is that you figure out what to do quite quickly. But then you just have to fight the controls, the camera, and Trico's AI, in order to get to that point.

This can be a legitimate concern but Trico tends to make short work of these guys. You really should let it handle the battle scenes. If you want to participate, you can.

The fun part in solving a puzzle is finding the solution. But the Last Guardian forces you to find the fun part in actually getting to the solution, and I'm not really seeing it so far.

I haven't completed it, so I might get to better puzzles and more exciting platforming parts. The game definitely has soul. There is a certain magic to the whole world, the animations, the way the boy speaks to Trico, etc. But so far I can sort of see where the negative comments come from, yeah.

Oh and Shadow of the Colussus is one of my favourite games, i you want to know.

Don't know about you but this game, like ICO and SoTC is about companionship, the key difference between those 2 games is that the gameplay is tied to that design as it's core. If you are using Trico for the sheer point of finding "fun" in the puzzles, then you would be disappointed. The "fun" here is how you bond with Trico, that's why it is given an indpendant system. You can find the nuance with its animations, how it reacts to you, how it observes the world and environment. That is how I played the game, at NO POINT whatsoever, did I even think of "puzzles", only how to understand and journey with Trico. Eventually, you think of puzzles as finding "coffee" in the kitchen example. A way of understanding your environment and character. Shadow of the Colossus it is not, it is a completely different game with a different design purpose. It is like comparing Uncharted to Fallout - you wouldn't see them as games in the same spectrum. Like SoTC would not be the defining factor of liking this game, only the desire to follow the "design by subtraction" philosophy by Team ICO - which is what you will get in their games and TLG.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It will get ignored in the GOTY awards, sadly but that goes to show once again how irrelevant those actually are for the medium itself.

Most reviewers have a type: western narrative driven games. This year its Uncharted 4s turn, its a miracle Overwatch is as popular as it is. TLG never stood a chance.

SirNinja

It will get ignored in the GOTY awards, sadly but that goes to show once again how irrelevant those actually are for the medium itself.

It would help if 99% of GOTY awards would actually wait until after the end of the year rather than have them in late Nov - early Dec.

Most of those awards are trash because of it. Everyone's still blinded by the hype of the November mega-hitters then. They don't have time to step back and actually look at things from an unclouded perspective. So much good stuff gets overlooked every year because they jump the gun and declare a winner with up to a month and a half still to go.

Imagine if the Oscars were held in mid-September and they gave Best Picture to the biggest, dumbest, loudest action movie of the summer, all while heavily advertising upcoming similar movies slated for next year and incessantly telling people to preorder tickets for them. That's what this industry feels like right now.

HStallion

Even with many of the GOTY awards coming out earlier than TLG was released, many still are putting it in the top ten or top five so its not being totally left out in the dust. In fact some quality lists from people I'd considered respected game journalists have it at #1 like Simon Parkin and EZ Allies guys.

Just finished the game. Flawed masterpiece if there ever was one. So many bad and good things to say about this game, but I'm sure they've all been covered at this point. Two biggest takeaways for me were

1)this game is more uncharted than uncharted. And better at it too
2)Incredible ending. Both story and gameplay give you a great conclusion and rewards you with some memorable moments. It's the
Rogue One
of video games

But seriously the ending is perfect. Gonna spread the word on this one.

gfxtwin

The ending doesn't trigger any more since the patch.
As soon as you get the the top of the tower, the scene where the other tricos fly in never plays and it just resumes gameplay again. I've tried restarting the checkpoint several times and it keeps happening.
Fuck.

EDIT: nvmnd, looks like it wont trigger unless you unequip the shield, oddly enough.

gfxtwin

Swear to god, the patch must've addressed the camera issues to some degree. Or I just got used to controlling it. Hardly had any camera issues this time around. Spacial awareness + directing it via the analog stick goes a long way.

ScOULaris

Swear to god, the patch must've addressed the camera issues to some degree. Or I just got used to controlling it. Hardly had any camera issues this time around. Spacial awareness + directing it via the analog stick goes a long way.

The patch increased the acceleration and deceleration curves for the camera movement, so it feels more responsive now.

I'm seeing some of the dissenting opinion around TLG linking it to Inside.Some people are stating that Inside is tighter, shorter and cleaner Team ICO type game. Now, I think Inside is masterful game design, that was obviously influenced by ICO, but TLG offers something completely different.

TLG isn't just about sectioned off environmental puzzles like Inside is. Inside alludes to a larger world and it's an interesting Akira-Orwellian peanut butter choclate mix, but it's more of a tonal piece. The length to which TLG builds in on itself is really nothing like Inside. Nearly every animation, mannerism, puzzle, combat mechanic, platforming section tells you something about Trico and the boy.There is a level of subtle characterization that is unmatched by any non-ico game that I can think of this gen.

SirNinja

I've booted up this game like 50+ times and I'm still seeing new sketches on that initial loading screen. (One of them is even an alternate Trico drawing that's, IMO, even better than the one they went with for the opening credits.)

OmniOne

I just finished this game. PS4Pro. It made me cry. Very beautiful game.

I understand some people's technical critiques but irdgaf. It did not mpact this journey in any meaningful way.

I wonder if anyone have finished the game with a friend/relative/girlfriend/boyfriend at his/her side? I want to know if it's possible to be moved by the game without playing, I plan to play the game with my sister, and even if I think a great deal of the connection with Trico comes through gameplay, she is more sensitive than me and she loves stories like this one (How to Train your Dragon comes to mind, she loves it).

Robot Pants

I wonder if anyone have finished the game with a friend/relative/girlfriend/boyfriend at his/her side? I want to know if it's possible to be moved by the game without playing, I plan to play the game with my sister, and even if I think a great deal of the connection with Trico comes through gameplay, she is more sensitive than me and she loves stories like this one (How to Train your Dragon comes to mind, she loves it).
Funny you should say that. I thought for certain my girlfriend would be crying, at least teared up at the ending like I was. But she wasn't.
And I think it's because she didn't play it and only watched most of the game and what trico and the boy went through.
I think playing it is a whole different story than just watching

RangerBAD

I finished this up today too. It was definitely worth all those years of waiting.
It's a beautiful game and the ending choked me up. I just wonder if that was Toriko and that surviving beast that it fought with? Or are those new ones?

Funny you should say that. I thought for certain my girlfriend would be crying, at least teared up at the ending like I was. But she wasn't.
And I think it's because she didn't play it and only watched most of the game and what trico and the boy went through.
I think playing it is a whole different story than just watching

Yeah, I think most of the experience you have is through interaction and not just because Trico is cute or the storyline.

I even think that someone watching the game could be bored, at least at the first half.

HStallion

I didn't cry but god damn if some parts weren't tense as all hell. Like I had to get out of my seat and stand up because I had so much nervous energy in me. Namely the ending sequences when shit got intense. The game is great at getting you wrapped up in the moment.

Krakin

I cried...A lot. This is a game I will never forget. The camera was wonky and the controls could be annoying at times but woah what a game! Trico is the real MVP

Was crying too much for like, 20 minutes lol.

Oww, I can imagine the pain! I was trying so hard not to cry, so I clenched my jaw. That obviously didn't work so well, and I hurt my jaw in the process.

I actually had family visiting when TLG came out, and I managed to get my mother to play a good chunk of the game with me, including the ending. We both got pretty choked up. I had to replay the ending because we'd missed something, and the second time through, she actually cried where I didn't (though I still got a bit teary again). My sister had only seen bits of it, and missed the last 1/4 of the game. I'm apparently supposed to replay it with her someday, which is very sweet. Neither of them play games in the slightest, so I was surprised how much they both got into it as just observers - observers that offered puzzle commentary, of course. I'd be interested to round up more non-gaming family and friends and see their thoughts on it.

HStallion

TLG in general is very easy to show off to people especially non gamers. If someone loves animals that alone will usually hook them enough to get into the game proper. Not only that but it is lacking a lot of the more time consuming and pacing killing aspects of other games like grinding, constant back tracking and other things. Even things like "cutscenes" are very unobtrusive and work very organically with the gameplay segments. As someone said much earlier in the thread its basically Ludonarrative Harmony

Oww, I can imagine the pain! I was trying so hard not to cry, so I clenched my jaw. That obviously didn't work so well, and I hurt my jaw in the process.

I actually had family visiting when TLG came out, and I managed to get my mother to play a good chunk of the game with me, including the ending. We both got pretty choked up. I had to replay the ending because we'd missed something, and the second time through, she actually cried where I didn't (though I still got a bit teary again). My sister had only seen bits of it, and missed the last 1/4 of the game. I'm apparently supposed to replay it with her someday, which is very sweet. Neither of them play games in the slightest, so I was surprised how much they both got into it as just observers - observers that offered puzzle commentary, of course. I'd be interested to round up more non-gaming family and friends and see their thoughts on it.

I'm gonna try to get my sister to actually play the game and I'll help her with some toughest parts. She did finish Kingdom Hearts II and loved it but it's probably the only game she has played since the NES era.

Edit: What you did, my mom use to watch me playing lots of games, she loves it but she likes more action oriented games with storylines like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Tomb Taider, that sort of thing. My sister is the sensitive one.

Lingitiz

I really REALLY want to like this game. About six hours in and my patience is wearing thin. The controls and camera are bad, but I can stomach that (although the fact that the game has to black out for a sec and reset the camera is somewhat hilarious). It's the lack of responsiveness with Trico combined with all of the other issues that makes it really difficult to slog through. I often want to try a solution or navigate to a spot, but it takes a lot of time for Trico to navigate and begin his animation to do it. I end up in this situation where I don't know if it's Trico being unresponsive, or if that's not the correct solution to the puzzle. It's an extremely frustrating core gameplay mechanic that requires a lot of patience.

I generally have a lot of patience for this sort of trial and error gameplay, and I felt okay in the early hours of the game. But right now everytime I pick it up and I just want to immediately stop playing.

DirtyLarry

Okay, just please tell me one eventually gets used to the awful controls. I reslly, really am trying but so far there is just no semblance of sense or smoothness to anythingl I just feel like sometimes I get lucky and sometimes I do not. I also am officially stuck and I am maybe 30-45 minutes in.
I am at the
part after I traversed some tight ledge with chains and Trico jumped in the middle on little ass platforms. Eventually we made it to an area he takes out a door and a big ass marble beam drops down allowing me to cross the chasm. I go in some large hall for lack of a better term which Trico cannot get in, so he has to jump up above the beam to get in a small hole. He gets in the area that us a thinner long area with gates..eventually I get him to jump up to a higher hole, we get to a spot there is a gate but I can go in a smaller hole down on the bottom right, Trico can once again jump up to a small hole on the top of everything, and we wind up in some outside area,
and I have looked everywhere and have no damn clue where to go next. I even went back in.

Being lost already and the really awful controls has already led me to check the trade in value at Amazon. They're not accepting trade ins right now, which tells me something no doubt.

Seriously I just need a little more persuasion like I just don't have a good feel for how things work yet and that's why I am lost. That the controls eventually feel okay. Anything. Because at this point in time I'm close to sticking with Dead Rising 4 or going back to Watch Dogs 2 for side missions since I beat it.

HStallion

Okay, just please tell me one eventually gets used to the awful controls. I reslly, really am trying but so far there is just no semblance of sense or smoothness to anythingl I just feel like sometimes I get lucky and sometimes I do not. I also am officially stuck and I am maybe 30-45 minutes in.
I am at the
part after I traversed some tight ledge with chains and Trico jumped in the middle on little ass platforms. Eventually we made it to an area he takes out a door and a big ass marble beam drops down allowing me to cross the chasm. I go in some large hall for lack of a better term which Trico cannot get in, so he has to jump up above the beam to get in a small hole. He gets in the area that us a thinner long area with gates..eventually I get him to jump up to a higher hole, we get to a spot there is a gate but I can go in a smaller hole down on the bottom right, Trico can once again jump up to a small hole on the top of everything, and we wind up in some outside area,
and I have looked everywhere and have no damn clue where to go next. I even went back in.

Being lost already and the really awful controls has already led me to check the trade in value at Amazon. They're not accepting trade ins right now, which tells me something no doubt.

Seriously I just need a little more persuasion like I just don't have a good feel for how things work yet and that's why I am lost. That the controls eventually feel okay. Anything. Because at this point in time I'm close to sticking with Dead Rising 4 or going back to Watch Dogs 2 for side missions since I beat it.

Watch Trico a lot as he will often look directly at where you need to go, like looking directly at a place or pawing at something important.

Alucrid

Banned
I am at the

you just walk on the other side of that wall that's outside with all the trees and stuff and there's a large gate trico will jump up with you on its back

TLG in general is very easy to show off to people especially non gamers. If someone loves animals that alone will usually hook them enough to get into the game proper. Not only that but it is lacking a lot of the more time consuming and pacing killing aspects of other games like grinding, constant back tracking and other things. Even things like "cutscenes" are very unobtrusive and work very organically with the gameplay segments. As someone said much earlier in the thread its basically Ludonarrative Harmony

Yeah, it's fantastic. I'm the only one that plays games in my family, so it was a really special experience to get to play TLG with them - I never thought that would happen in a million years! Thank you to Ueda and genDesign for this Christmas miracle, ha.

I'm gonna try to get my sister to actually play the game and I'll help her with some toughest parts. She did finish Kingdom Hearts II and loved it but it's probably the only game she has played since the NES era.

Edit: What you did, my mom use to watch me playing lots of games, she loves it but she likes more action oriented games with storylines like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Tomb Taider, that sort of thing. My sister is the sensitive one.

I hope your sister has a great time! That is awesome about your mother, too, she has great taste.

I really REALLY want to like this game. About six hours in and my patience is wearing thin. The controls and camera are bad, but I can stomach that. It's the lack of responsiveness with Trico combined with all of the other issues that makes it really difficult to slog through. I often want to try a solution or navigate to a spot, but it takes a lot of time for Trico to navigate and begin his animation to do it. I end up in this situation where I don't know if it's Trico being unresponsive, or if that's not the correct solution to the puzzle. It's an extremely frustrating core gameplay mechanic that requires a lot of patience.

Okay, just please tell me one eventually gets used to the awful controls. I reslly, really am trying but so far there is just no semblance of sense or smoothness to anythingl I just feel like sometimes I get lucky and sometimes I do not.

---

I'd typed this up for Lingitiz, but I'll attach it for both. I'm sorry you guys are having a rough time with the game, that's understandably frustrating. I always found puzzle solving and adventuring with Trico to be pretty painless, because it is such a unique and refreshing working partnership situation. Not sure if any of this helps, apologies if I'm repeating things you're aware of: when I'd enter an area, I'd look to see where Trico's attention was drawn, so I knew that whatever I'd have to do would be in the direction he's looking. That removed a ton of trial and error. Butterflies are also great. Trico pretty much follows you around out of curiosity when you're on foot, too, which also helps getting him into place. He'll also (very vocally!) complain if you're going in the wrong direction. One time I was trying to get him to complete a puzzle incorrectly, and he physically walked me over to where I was supposed to be. (Sorry, Trico.) I also realized that if Trico didn't do something I wanted him to, it meant I was trying to complete the puzzle the wrong way, because he always reacted very quickly when I was right. Trico also has very responsive body language, so you can kind of tell pretty quick if you're doing the right thing or not. He can also get himself around without the player's input, and there a lot of sections where he knows where to go and doesn't need to be controlled, so you can just go along for the ride. Earlier in the game I spent more time commanding him, before I realized how much I often didn't need to tell him what to do. I feel like the devs tried to alleviate the frustration as much as they could considering the nature of the game. By the end of the game, my rule of thumb was that if Trico quickly didn't respond and start to move into place for the action I wanted him to do, I was doing it wrong. That being said, I know glitches can make that an annoying rule to follow, but I never really had an issue in that regard.

dmshaposv

Fam im a little stuck. Read only if uve finished

i am at the part where me and trico are staring at the nest to pull off the crazy jump from the connected bridge. The epic music comes on and trico walks all the way back and then doesnt do shit. Im stuck here for a few hrs and im honestly thinking its either a weird bug in the AI or sonething

Top Bottom