• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
No new options added by the patch. Could just be me, but it seems like the framerate's a little better in areas with heavy foliage. I'm on PS4 Pro @1080p though so I have no idea whether regular PS4s (or Pro users playing at 1890p) have it any better than before.

Haven't seen anything different on that front either, although I'm still in the beginning parts of the game (on a new playthrough) right now. Hopefully the prompts are dialed back as the game goes on.

Some people seem to be reporting that the camera has less of a dead zone. Haven't had a chance to get some hands on time with the game though I did DL the update.

I think you should try and make Trico jump on the platform above the boy.

How? I've tried aiming the camera in all directions and pressing R1. At first Trico jumped up to my right and something collapsed so he leapt back down again. Now he's just sitting below me putting out his paw but not moving regardless of what I do.

Alucrid

Banned
How? I've tried aiming the camera in all directions and pressing R1. At first Trico jumped up to my right and something collapsed so he leapt back down again. Now he's just sitting below me putting out his paw but not moving regardless of what I do.

the jump command, r1 + triangle

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So apparently the new patch has alleviated some of the dead zone on the camera and it works better.

In the end, it was worth the wait. Ueda is somehow still doing things ahead of curve. Trico works as some of the most impressive, brilliantly different AI. You actually learn from Trico. Trico's curiosity will actually help solve puzzles, but not in a contrived NPC way. Given the stimuli around him, we will be drawn to things in natural order.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Im still relatively early on in the game (when you first start facing enemies) and it being holiday season, my parents decided to sit down and watch me play TLG.

The first thing my dad asks me: what kind of animal is that? I said I assume its a mix of several animals. My mom shows up a while later and first question she asks: what kind of animal is that?

My mom had a good laugh when I threw Trico a barrel which it failed to grab and then it pawed the barrel for a bit sheepishly before eating it.

They both seemed fascinated with Trico. Cant blame em since NES is really the only gaming system theyre familiar with or ever played.

Fantastic game.

Stoffinator

Well this sucks. This is one of those rare games that do not record the ending with Share button. I've tried twice now and it shows its recording but ends up not doing it.

zethren

Banned
Just finished this game.

It's my favorite game this year.

It's my favorite game this generation.

It might be my favorite game of all time.

Fuck, man.

LifeLike

I have experienced the weirdest thing just now.He now turns his head into his own neck. He's looking down, then continues into his neck, and his head comes out on the other side, making a complete loop. He has done this several times now, and sometimes the head makes a 360 sideways as well.

Lol wut??

Leeness

Haven't finished yet... The further I get, the more this game breaks my heart and it's getting hard to go further so I keep taking it a bit at a time. I know I'm close to the end though.

After that battle on the bridges and Trico was just lying on the ground... 😭

So how many game of the year awards has this won? Cause it deserves a lot of them.

I assume that ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were similarly ignored.

I love this game. 3 out of 3 from Ueda. I hope we don't have to wait nearly as much for his next game.

Haven't finished yet... The further I get, the more this game breaks my heart and it's getting hard to go further so I keep taking it a bit at a time. I know I'm close to the end though.

After that battle on the bridges and Trico was just lying on the ground... 😭

That King Kong moment :'(

silva1991

So how many game of the year awards has this won? Cause it deserves a lot of them.

I assume that ICO and Shadow of the Colossus were similarly ignored.

I love this game. 3 out of 3 from Ueda. I hope we don't have to wait nearly as much for his next game.

Only one or two, I think. Camera and controls kept it from winning pretty much everywhere unless art was the lone deciding factor in judgment making.

5 not counting EZA

http://gotypicks.blogspot.ca/

zethren

Banned
Despite its flaws, this is absolutely my game of the year. I found myself frustrated with controls on occasion, but I don't think they bothered me as much as many other folks. There are just so many good things I can say about this game that those elements simply don't detract from my experience.

I'm so glad this game came out.

A-V-B

How the
heck
does the game have so many tooltips and not one for this? Did I just miss it?

It's easily missable because it happens at only one place, on foot in a place where EVERYONE will be on Trico's back (to make a huge jump -- there's no reason for the boy to be there without Trico.)

The game's vague handling of a very important part of gameplay is a bit confounding.

Vorheez

Ok, so... I loved SOTC, but was indifferent towards Ico. I borrowed the game from a friend and have played for about an hour. Did anyone else find the beginning a little slow? Or is this what I'm in for for the rest of the game?

A-V-B

Ok, so... I loved SOTC, but was indifferent towards Ico. I borrowed the game from a friend and have played for about an hour. Did anyone else find the beginning a little slow? Or is this what I'm in for for the rest of the game?

It definitely picks up. Are you enjoying it on some level?

It will get ignored in the GOTY awards, sadly but that goes to show once again how irrelevant those actually are for the medium itself.

balohna

I have experienced the weirdest thing just now.

Until today I used to play this on my old 1080p 50hz TV. No problems there, game ran just fine and Trico blew me away with his behaviour and animations.

However, today I bought a new TV, 4K HDR 100 Hz. Can't say I see any noticable differences, but one thing that really bugs me is that Trico's animations have changed. He now turns his head into his own neck. He's looking down, then continues into his neck, and his head comes out on the other side, making a complete loop. He has done this several times now, and sometimes the head makes a 360 sideways as well.

Never saw this before. Happened right away with the new TV, and has now happened multiple times.

Anyone seen anything like this before? I don't know what to believe...

Game is playable as usual though, but it sure takes away from the immersion.

I had this too, reloading the checkpoint fixed it.

This game is essentially the modern day Out of This World / Another World for me, and that is not a comparison to take lightly.

I never thought of it like that before. Its a very good comparison

It's the ONLY relatable comparison. That was the direct influence that kicksarted Ueda's career as a game designer - which then inspired the creation of Demons Souls and it's subsequent Souls titles.

bud

one thing that really needs to be patched is that the narrator sometimes says things that haven't happened yet.

one thing that really needs to be patched is that the narrator sometimes says things that haven't happened yet.

What are you talking about specifically.
If you stay in an area for a while he'll actually give you a hint about how to get out. At least in one instance that I heard, that involves him telling you something that give you an idea of how to move forward.

wouwie

I finished the game about a week ago so i had to time to think and reflect back on it. I have a feeling that The Last Guardian is one of those games that will only get better in my memory as time goes by, which is what a good game is all about really.

I've already forgotten most of the flaws it most definately had (control of the boy, camera, performance on PS4 original and button prompts) and i'm remembering a wonderful and touching story about a boy and an animal set in a mysterious world. It's just so unique and unlike most of the other games out there. I have never seen a more life-like AI companion as Trico and it's amazing how a game can get so many emotions across without any dialogue.

I feel it was totally worth waiting for and i'm happy that the developers didn't give up on it. It deserves to be out there.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man oh man what a game. Even after days everything - but especially the ending - is still in my head. I also loved the EZA talk about it. A lot of what they touched on is very recognizable. One of my favorite aspects was Trico preparing for a lunge/jump. I see my little dog in that, when he's about to make an epic jump on the couch.

I do think the experience is augmented somewhat when you have a pet yourself.

A masterpiece. This game was a breath of fresh air this console generation. There is nothing else like it.

Also, am I the only one who actually enjoyed the controls and had no problem with them? Did a lot of the people reviewing the game have played a videogame before? (let alone an Ueda game).

bud

What are you talking about specifically.
If you stay in an area for a while he'll actually give you a hint about how to get out. At least in one instance that I heard, that involves him telling you something that give you an idea of how to move forward.

i'm replaying the game, and in the very first area, he says something about trico having eaten the barrel before i even threw it at him.

i think this has happened maybe 2-3 times during my first playthrough.

it's not a major issue, just a tad annoying.

zethren

Banned
A masterpiece. This game was a breath of fresh air this console generation. There is nothing else like it.

Also, am I the only one who actually enjoyed the controls and had no problem with them? Did a lot of the people reviewing the game have played a videogame before? (let alone an Ueda game).

They were right in line with my expectations as far as Ueda's games go, so they didn't bug me too much. I loved the game experience as a whole waaaaay too much to be too bothered by them, though there were a few frustrating moments for me sprinkled in.

hampig

I just made it to the first water section where you have to get Trico to
dive under through that little tunnel. I get him in the water, tell him to 'jump' and he dives down to the bottom with me on his back, then comes back up.
What am I doing wrong?

I looked at the trophies after finishing and have a couple questions.

There's one for painting Trico, but I don't remember painting. When/where does this happen?

Same question for the outfits trophy. I don't remember seeing any outfits anywhere.

Apparently I didn't explore or get creative enough on my first playthrough.

Top Bottom