• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

A-V-B

Fam im a little stuck. Read only if uve finished

i am at the part where me and trico are staring at the nest to pull off the crazy jump from the connected bridge. The epic music comes on and trico walks all the way back and then doesnt do shit. Im stuck here for a few hrs and im honestly thinking its either a weird bug in the AI or sonething

Yeah, this can happen.

Just run away from Trico, and keep running until he suddenly wakes up from whatever the fuck's going on. His response to the player getting too far away is a free get-out card most times.

dmshaposv

Yeah, this can happen.

Just run away from Trico, and keep running until he suddenly wakes up from whatever the fuck's going on. His response to the player getting too far away is a free get-out card most times.

Ive tried everything. It seems like its fairly obvious that

we need to make this epic jump. But trico just stands there whether i command him (fwd or jump) or even do nothing.

Anyone else had specific probs in this part? Am i missing out on some puzzle element?

we need to make this epic jump. But trico just stands there whether i command him (fwd or jump) or even do nothing.

Anyone else had specific probs in this part? Am i missing out on some puzzle element?

I didnt have a problem there. Just go on his back and dont do any command maybe, he'll do it. Otherwise => press options, restart from checkpoint.

Ps: to do the crazy long jump, the gate you are on needs to be down on both sides.

dmshaposv

I didnt have a problem there. Just go on his back and dont do any command maybe, he'll do it. Otherwise => press options, restart from checkpoint.

Ps: to do the crazy long jump, the gate you are on needs to be down on both sides.

I figured it and he jumped!
So it was an AI glitch here was the problem:

after pullingn the lever of the second bridge i just jumped directly on trico from the top of the tower. Turns out i need to go down the stairs and mount him only THEN he jumps

Yeah this was the most frustrating issue ive had with the games ai so far

sublimit

Banned
TLG in general is very easy to show off to people especially non gamers. If someone loves animals that alone will usually hook them enough to get into the game proper. Not only that but it is lacking a lot of the more time consuming and pacing killing aspects of other games like grinding, constant back tracking and other things. Even things like "cutscenes" are very unobtrusive and work very organically with the gameplay segments. As someone said much earlier in the thread its basically Ludonarrative Harmony
I totally agree with this.In fact i believe that this is a game that has more chances appealing to non gamers than the majority of most gamers.Above all i think this is a game that requires patience at times (either due to controls or due to how Trico behaves) and this is something most gamers lack today.I have heard complaints even for its low res textures (when you see them up close) something that a non gamer wouldn't have a problem at all.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I've been seeing this thread on GAF, and I find the thread title rather beautiful. Is there a story behind it? Is it from the game, something that someone thought encompassed the game's history, etc.?

OT: I haven't played any of the Ueda games, but I'd like to play this game one day.

I've been seeing this thread on GAF, and I find the thread title rather beautiful. Is there a story behind it? Is it from the game, something that someone thought encompassed the game's history, etc.?

OT: I haven't played any of the Ueda games, but I'd like to play this game one day.
Quote from the tgs trailer or something

Plum

So I'm in a pitch black corridor just after the section where (I think mid-game spoilers)
Trico is hungry following the E3 section and a bit longer
and the bloody animal simply won't repeat a jump I've seen him do. I've tried ordering it but all he can do is try. Anything I'm missing here?

EDIT: Nevermind

sammy

The Last Guardian is a game that reminds me of why I love games to begin with.
- It's about interacting.
- Being knee-deep in some feathers that react to you and the world you're in.
- A true sense-of-place in an otherworldly setting that begins to make sense.
- Mechanics that actually feel more inspired by simulation than accessibility.
- Rewards for being observant and picking up on things other players can miss.
- The last hours absolutely blow your mind like games used to do a lot of.
- Respect that you're a gamer and can solve your own damn problems.

I just wanted to drop in and say how much I adored this game. Have played it through over and over again. Even after many play-throughs I ordered a PS4pro + 4k Sony to play it on, and though my TV shipped in with cracks all over it and the top corner bent up I'm still on a mission to get a solid TV to enjoy this game even more.

One of the greatest themes of the game is that it's still fundamentally "get to the castle"
I think that's something any gamer has a subconscious drive to do thanks to Mario.
There's that sense of a journey with one goal above all else, along with a relationship you need to nurture in order to get there.

Like ICO or SotC at the beginning of the experience you're stumbling about just trying your best to articulate the games unique controls/animations, but at the end of the game you're surfing on Tricos head doing amazing things like a BOSS. Also like ICO or SotC it is very much a gamers-game where you're responsible for everything including the camera, they were always very frustrating games and TLG is as frustrating as both of them combined. Patience is very important in a Team ICO game but the rewards are rewards that only a medium like this can pull off. They're rewards that you really can't explain to people who don't play games.

ProTips If the game is turning you off, or frustrating there's a few things I would suggest:

- It's not easy.
- Crank the camera's sensitivity all the way up.
- Never underestimate the power of petting/cleaning Trico and taking your time while she points you in the proper direction.
- When you get to environments that are clearly playgrounds start to PLAY, make the mechanics second-nature, build your muscle-memory, leave the game on almost as a screen-saver and test boundaries.
- Like SotC there's actually a secret set of buttons, BUT they don't function until you reach a certain puzzle-room in the game... Yes for the first few hours Trico won't listen much.
- The little boy is a little boy like ICO he doesn't have combos and can trip up on himself, but he is far from powerless once you figure things out.
- Enjoy. And I mean it, if there's a spot in the game that you liked a lot go ahead and reload that checkpoint. Towards the end of the game I spent hours reloading some fun spots and I got REALLY good, and it's worth it because you can do some neat stuff later in the game.

Respect to SONY for understanding the value of artistic prestige in a medium of obsolescence, consumption, shock, and "next best thing" ... I'm just as bad as anyone for buying game after game for the backlog, but every once in a while a game like TLG comes along to remind me that there's certain emotions you don't get from pushing crates, collecting coins, or leveling-up.

Plum

Sorry GAF but I've just
fallen into a pool of water with only a box in the room.
. What should I do? I have no idea.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Sorry GAF but I've just

Get Trico to move around a lot and the floor will continue to crumble and eventually Trico's tail should fall through a crack in the ceiling that you can grab onto. I find swimming around with the box for even a minute will get Trico into position. If nothing else try calling it with R1 or using R1 + X to get it to sit or R1 + O to perform an action.

Plum

Get Trico to move around a lot and the floor will continue to crumble and eventually Trico's tail should fall through a crack in the ceiling that you can grab onto. I find swimming around with the box for even a minute will get Trico into position. If nothing else try calling it with R1 or using R1 + X to get it to sit or R1 + O to perform an action.

Thanks. That worked a charm.
also thanks for telling me what the X and O commands do, thought they were stomp and grab respectively.

hampig

Sorry GAF but I've just

That part was the worst, and one of a few parts that really made me frustrated with the game. It's like somebody stitched together a 10/10 and a 4/10.

sublimit

Banned
Sorry GAF but I've just

If i remember correctly you need to move the box where the riples in the water are and stand on it,then call Trico.

I actually got stuck at that same part. The bridge was fully expanded and Trico did the run with the big swell in music and then...nothing. Did everything I could think of to get Trico to jump, but he just stood there staring off into the distance.

Of course, after reloading from the title screen he performed the jump immediately. It's the only time in the game where Trico's AI bugged out.

Speaking of bugging out, this happened in my game last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7loNBxv-PU

Vanadium

By far most common experience I had. Contrary to loud opinion, you aren't playing the game wrong. Sometimes, Trico doesn't do anything. Sometimes he drives the entire game without any inputs at all. This is what happened to me.

Loved the experience beyond all measure by the time it was over but for a game to offer so little feedback and responsiveness to player input for whatever reason, IS poor design. 

HStallion

By far most common experience I had. Contrary to loud opinion, you aren't playing the game wrong. Sometimes, Trico doesn't do anything. Sometimes he drives the entire game without any inputs at all. This is what happened to me.

Loved the experience beyond all measure by the time it was over but for a game to offer so little feedback and responsiveness to player input for whatever reason, IS poor design. 

For you but I found Trico to very responsive in a realistically animal way. Even spamming commands to the point it confuses Trico will have it laying its ears back, lowering its head and giving you a huffing vocalization of displeasure. I actually think Ueda and crew did an absolutely stunning job of giving Trico such emotive body language, facial expressions and vocal cues. I never had any straight up bugs like some people experienced but it was always fairly clear to me what Trico wanted to do, where it was going, its response to my inputs and so on.

Plum

Gonna ask one more question because I am totally stumped and want to finish the game tonight...

I'm at the second large water section after the one where you have to ride Trico's back as he swims through an ubderwater cavern. Like last time there's a tunnel for the boy to swin through to get to a lever but there's no ladder. My first thoughts were to change the water level through Trico but that hasn't worked. What should I do now?

Thank you in advance!

SirNinja

Oh wow. I already knew that the boy will clean any blood off of Trico's feathers if he pets them for long enough, but I just discovered/realized that he'll also straighten out any feathers that got upturned for whatever reason. Guess my playthroughs just got a bit longer now :p

Stoffinator

Gonna ask one more question because I am totally stumped and want to finish the game tonight...

I'm at the second large water section after the one where you have to ride Trico's back as he swims through an ubderwater cavern. Like last time there's a tunnel for the boy to swin through to get to a lever but there's no ladder. My first thoughts were to change the water level through Trico but that hasn't worked. What should I do now?

Thank you in advance!

You have to have
Trico jump into the water while you are by where the ladder would be.

Plum

Just watch how the water physics work with the boy and you should see how to reach the area without a ladder.

I've tried that but Trico always jumps in straight after and he never sits. It's annoying.

EDIT: Nevermind again, he got out of the water and I called him in.

olimpia84

Just finished this. Fantastic game but unfortunately I almost had a nervous breakdown on a few occasions due to the controls and the camera. If this game addressed those issues it could be a dream game and one of the best of all time. Loved the developing bond between the boy and Trico and loved how this game more akin to Ico rather than SOTC in terms of gameplay.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Well folks, I did manage to get through it. I thought it was a pretty and sweet ending, but overall I thought it was a frustrating experience, and I'm glad it's over. I personally hated the game, but if I were a reviewer who was professionally critiquing it, it has enough production values to give it solid scores. It just wasn't for me. I found it very dull and joyless, but I did appreciate the color and sentimentality.

thelastguardian_20161wdq1n.png

The eyes are so life-like. You really feel like there's a soul behind them.

Dweebo

Banned
What a miracle that this game out and how fortunate we all were to play it. I remember the first trailer and have waited ever since. Beat it tonight and enjoyed it thourougly. Contender for my game of the year this year.

I was crushingly disappointed by the ending
until the post-credits sequence began, that is. Thereafter I was a puddle of tears as I waited for the camera to bring me, finally, back to Trico. And is that a Trico child I saw in the darkness?

A beautiful game and an incredible accomplishment by Ueda and his team. No amount of camera or control wonkiness can dim what they've done here. I'll remember this game with fondness for the rest of my life.

I cried 3 different times. My face hurt from all the emotions at the end.

This should be a box blurb.

Finally started this today. I haven't played Shadow in ages so maybe I'm forgetting how bad it was there or something, but holy shit, people weren't kidding about the camera. I'm on 1.03 and if this is the improved version I can't even begin to imagine what it was like at first. Every time I need to adjust the camera it's like I'm trying to reorient myself underwater. If they at least scaled back (or scaled back even more, I guess) the massive delay between moving the stick and the camera responding it'd be somewhat better. I replayed Ico recently and found some of the fixed camera angles to be a bit awkward but that seems like a dream compared to this, lol.

I hate complaining about stuff like this, but it's bad to the point that it's actively detracting from the experience for me. Hope they continue to tweak it. Almost tempted to put the game back into my backlog for a bit in hopes that it's improved by time I finish up FFXV or something.

reflecting on the game for a week after finishing it, pretty positive it's in the process of dethroning majora's mask as my all time favourite game.

i wanna be added to the gang of messes who were tear stained wrecks by the end of the game.

HStallion

Finally started this today. I haven't played Shadow in ages so maybe I'm forgetting how bad it was there or something, but holy shit, people weren't kidding about the camera. I'm on 1.03 and if this is the improved version I can't even begin to imagine what it was like at first. Every time I need to adjust the camera it's like I'm trying to reorient myself underwater. If they at least scaled back (or scaled back even more, I guess) the massive delay between moving the stick and the camera responding it'd be somewhat better. I replayed Ico recently and found some of the fixed camera angles to be a bit awkward but that seems like a dream compared to this, lol.

I hate complaining about stuff like this, but it's bad to the point that it's actively detracting from the experience for me. Hope they continue to tweak it. Almost tempted to put the game back into my backlog for a bit in hopes that it's improved by time I finish up FFXV or something.

Turn the camera sensitivity all the way up and use L1 to focus the camera on Trico.

dmshaposv

I finished the game and love it to bits. Completely see why someone would give it a 7/10 and yet still consider it the best emotional and unique gaming experience.

The thing is the game does something so well that that when you have these weird AI bugs, terribled camera orientation and oldschool design decisions which contrast with the ambitious as fuck world design, graphical/animation work and heartful story.

Its a devisive game but I guess thats what makes it a ueda game.

The Last Guardian is a game that reminds me of why I love games to begin with.

Excellent thoughts and really agree with this part. I had a similar thought when I was just taking my time listening to the wind in the ruins of this place. It felt real, and at times my mind was tricked into thinking both it and trico really were alive. Obviously never believe it completely, but I mean times where you let yourself forget about other things and really soak in this other place.

I truly loved it! So happy this game was made.

nny

The New Yorker - The Best Video Games of 2016

Last Guardian:

"It seemed too much to hope, this year, that The Last Guardian, long lost in developmental purgatory, would finally be released, and that it would meet fans’ expectations. Yet Fumito Ueda’s third game is his best yet. It tells the affecting tale of a boy and his colossal beast, a pair lost in a lost city, who must work together to heal their wounds and escape the craggy wasteland in which they’re imprisoned. As the beast, named Trico, protects your character from ghoulish kidnappers and deadly falls (how often are we cast as the disempowered in video-game fantasies?), an earnest bond forms, not only between animal and boy but also between animal and player. While most games limp into their final credits, The Last Guardian crescendos gloriously, with an affecting ending that reveals, better than any other, the idiosyncratic power of the medium."

Plum

So I'm after the bit where you've (I think end-game spoilers)
just got the mirror back and climbed the tower with a bunch of those stained glass panels around the side of it.
There's a chasm which Trico can easily jump over but it's doing nothing despite my orders. All it does is whimper and go backwards. I can't proceed, what the hell should I do? This is frustrating me greatly.

EDIT: I'm impatient. Trico just needed a run up.

Yeah as far as this medium is concerned, I think Ueda's games are the perfect ones to show why you cant do this in any other medium form.

It's only through interaction that TLG and ICO and SOTC feel so powerful, and the rest of the story and world is built around such concepts. You will never get that with movies and books.

It seems like maybe this will be remembered well in time after all.

Wensih

The Last Guardian is one of the first games where I've become very emotional over protecting and caring for my AI companion. The AI doesn't always work (I have run into trouble with food barrel placement, tight corridors where Trico is suppose to jump, and diving but not swimming through the arch because I was on Trico's head, not lower back. All things felt like programming issues not Trico's animal nature), but when it does work or even when Trico wanders off to scratch a door, sniff the air, or nuzzle up to the boy it's really impactful. People have said they've felt empathetic towards the colossi in SotC; I never felt anything mainly due to video game mission structure and goals of the game, kill a boss to proceed to next level. But Trico is a companion and his animation and sound design harkens back to things I've seen and heard my old dumb blockhead of a dog, who passed away earlier this year, do.
I became extremely emotional when Trico is lying hurt unable to move while the boy feeds him after the Trico fight as my dog woke up one day unable to use his hind legs when the decision was made
. The Last Guardian is Old Yeller for a new digital generation.

Top Bottom