• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

pixelbox

Am I the only one who loved the boy here? I think he truly embodies a child in that situation. He just doesn't know the dangers of that place. Totally oblivious to the near death experiences he encounters; sort of like when we were in our youth and would foolish things that could hurt or kill us. His animations completely sells it.

Alucrid

Banned
Am I the only one who loved the boy here? I think he truly embodies a child in that situation. He just doesn't know the dangers of that place. Totally oblivious to the near death experiences he encounters; sort of like when we were in our youth and would foolish things that could hurt or kill us. His animations completely sells it.

i really enjoyed it, but ico also does the same thing pretty well so there wasn't quite as much impact for me i guess

Unknown?

The New Yorker - The Best Video Games of 2016

Last Guardian:

"It seemed too much to hope, this year, that The Last Guardian, long lost in developmental purgatory, would finally be released, and that it would meet fans’ expectations. Yet Fumito Ueda’s third game is his best yet. It tells the affecting tale of a boy and his colossal beast, a pair lost in a lost city, who must work together to heal their wounds and escape the craggy wasteland in which they’re imprisoned. As the beast, named Trico, protects your character from ghoulish kidnappers and deadly falls (how often are we cast as the disempowered in video-game fantasies?), an earnest bond forms, not only between animal and boy but also between animal and player. While most games limp into their final credits, The Last Guardian crescendos gloriously, with an affecting ending that reveals, better than any other, the idiosyncratic power of the medium."
Kick ass! This game needs the recognition.

Plum

I've tried everything I can see. How do I (very, very end-game spoilers)
beat the Master of the Valley? I shine the mirror on the black goo but all it does is recede then shoot a bunch of those blue runes at me.

CISphil

Neo Member
beat the Master of the Valley? I shine the mirror on the black goo but all it does is recede then shoot a bunch of those blue runes at me.

Don't get rid of it entirely or it'll do that and quickly regenerate, you want to clear most of it then climb up the sphere

Look in a different direction. How would you get there?

ICO_SotC

Finished it for the 4th time. Still no "All Talked Out" Trophy. Still no Platinum.

Don't know which one I missed becuase I was checking them off as I went along this last play through, and being careful not to restart checkpoints. Oh well. Have to take a break before trying again.

Can anyone tell me how to get through this room? I'm completely stumped. Can't seem to swim far down either as the boy or on the beast, and I dont see another way forward.

C0ZvoUNXAAAeeeg.jpg

Wollan

Just completed it. Fantastic game.

Trico is the most accomplished A.I creature in interactive entertainment yet.
Watching its behavior, its reactions and going through the dramatically large scale set pieces (the action can be breathtaking at times) will be a lasting memory for the medium.
And he never once weirded out for the ~12 hours or so playing it. They must have been motion capturing this creature in real time and sending me the data.

So many small cues I recognize from my own pets. Scratch it a certain place and it will squint its eyes. Go by an area where another creature has been and it will smell intensely. It's whole range of feline animations, how it navigates... An astounding success.

I learnt to deal with the controls of the boy (as I did the main character in Shadow of the Colossus) but they would have shaved away a lot of frustration by landing that aspect more properly. I realize that he has a lot of complex IK (practically everything he does) but they should have scaled it back in favor of smoother controls since they haven't been able to land it well (compared to say Naughty Dog and Ubisoft whom manage both super responsive controls combined with advanced IK). With that said the kid is actually a very cool character with lots of personality (unlike the previous game).

I really liked how organic navigation felt at times since you needed the creature to do some traversal for you. Impossible cliffs, ledges and pillars that zooms you past huge environments while you are just focusing on not falling into the abyss.

My PS4 Pro ran this game fine at most times but even at 1080p it started struggling in a few select scenes. But not due to 'bad optimization' I would say but just mind-blowing visual action pieces on a tremendous scale playing out in front of you. Mouth agape. Some of the scenes in this game also felt surprisingly brutal and cruel (to good effect).

Really well told story with a sane scope with narration that's both witty and helpful.

tonypark

Enjoying the game. Not enjoying the really strong color banding over the sky and water mostly. My god...
My tv is a ks8000 i tryed to tweak it so it is less noticable but still... ish... any tips?

Plum

I finished the whole game and only realized that you could do more with the stone guards than just run/roll away from them when I looked through the trophy list...

...that would have made a certain late-game section a LOT less frustrating!

I just got the game today and I like it so far but holy crap can it be frustrating sometimes. I had a situation were I needed Trico to stand on his hind legs to get me up to a ledge but it took a good 30 minutes before he finally did it. Frustrating because he kept looking at the edge that I needed him to give me a boost up to.

Other than that I love the atmosphere and the connection you have with Trico but I expected that from a Ueda game. As of now I still like Shadow of the Colossus better but I'll see if that's the case after beating the game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just got the game today and I like it so far but holy crap can it be frustrating sometimes. I had a situation were I needed Trico to stand on his hind legs to get me up to a ledge but it took a good 30 minutes before he finally did it. Frustrating because he kept looking at the edge that I needed him to give me a boost up to.

Other than that I love the atmosphere and the connection you have with Trico but I expected that from a Ueda game. As of now I still like Shadow of the Colossus better but I'll see if that's the case after beating the game.

There are direct commands for Trico. Look up the digital game manual.

HStallion

Arent they just the same as the boys controls?
So in this case R1 + Triangle(jump)

There is really no reason to be stuck in an area like thay for 30 minutes.

Yes but I dont think people see the prompt for it sadly. Same for L1 to focus the camera on Trico

There are direct commands for Trico. Look up the digital game manual.

Yea I was doing the R1 + Triangle command, which is suppose to get him on his hind legs but he wasn't haven't any of that not sure what was going on. Still though its impressive what they created with Trico reminds me of the horse from SOTC were he would do his own thing sometimes definitely makes them feel more real.

HStallion

Yea I was doing the R1 + Triangle command, which is suppose to get him on his hind legs but he wasn't haven't any of that not sure what was going on. Still though its impressive what they created with Trico reminds me of the horse from SOTC were he would do his own thing sometimes definitely makes them feel more real.

That's actually the wrong command. Try R1 + O which is perform action. This is basically the command used for everything but jumping/diving or attacking.

Roussow

Yes but I dont think people see the prompt for it sadly. Same for L1 to focus the camera on Trico

I recall the prompt for the Trico commands, I'm convinced there isn't an onscreen camera reset control prompt anywhere in the game, it's not even in the god damn controls menu!

HStallion

I recall the prompt for the Trico commands, I'm convinced there isn't an onscreen camera reset control prompt anywhere in the game, it's not even in the god damn controls menu!

It isn't in the game. I'm just one of those people who tries every single button in a game just to see what they might do so I found out about the L1 command by accident. I do think that people stop paying attention to the button prompts and then do miss when the game actually provides you with a useful and new one.

That's actually the wrong command. Try R1 + O which is perform action. This is basically the command used for everything but jumping/diving or attacking.

Oh okay that makes sense then, yea that was only area I was having issues with Trico. I'll just start using the R1 + O command more often.

Currently I'm at the E3 demo part of the game so I'm still early into the game.

First time playing this game. I'm about 1 hour and a half in and I'm already loving it. Trico is the most realistic AI I have ever seen in a game. I don't understand where the complaints came from when Trico doesn't respond to you because I have no problem calling him when I need to get somewhere. I do agree that the camera really needs some work. Also, the soundtrack in this game is the best music I've heard this year. I get chills every time I hear it.

TEJ

I got a bunch of gs gift cards at christmas. Is the framerate as bad as I hear it is or is it fairly minor and just an overblown complaint?

Also is the full soundtrack as good as I hear in the trailers?

Ratrat

I got a bunch of gs gift cards at christmas. Is the framerate as bad as I hear it is or is it fairly minor and just an overblown complaint?

Also is the full soundtrack as good as I hear in the trailers?
Yes, the frame rate is not great but its completely playable and the game is very goodlooking overall.

The soundtrack is awesome.

I'm not sure how far in I am in the game but its really gotten heaps good once you exit the initial area and enter the open spaces with plenty of climbing and jumping

where I am now
Trico just got scared off the cliff and we fell into an old area and boy was caught in a tree

Don't tell me anything! Great game with some amusing moments in this quiet painterly game. I'm playing it slowly.

HStallion

I'm not sure how far in I am in the game but its really gotten heaps good once you exit the initial area and enter the open spaces with plenty of climbing and jumping

where I am now
Trico just got scared off the cliff and we fell into an old area and boy was caught in a tree

Don't tell me anything! Great game with some amusing moments in this quiet painterly game. I'm playing it slowly.

About half way

I want to love this game, but the controls, camera, and framerate are shit. The camera and framerate in particular make exploration a chore, especially when I find myself next to Trico inside a narrow passage, which happens way too often.

And here I was worried about the Trico AI, which isn't amazing but also not as bad as I was led to believe. Or at least not yet.

HStallion

I want to love this game, but the controls, camera, and framerate are shit. The camera and framerate in particular make exploration a chore, especially when I find myself next to Trico inside a narrow passage, which happens way too often.

And here I was worried about the Trico AI, which isn't amazing but also not as bad as I was led to believe. Or at least not yet.

Turn the camera sensitivity all the way up and use L1 to focus the camera on Trico.

Granjinha

I'm really enjoying the game but i think it's the worst game i have played this gen performance wise. It's a shitshow.

But man, Trico <3

Tanston

Well this sucks. The game is everything I wanted it to be and it seems fantastic but it's giving me a horrible headache. I don't know if I'm going to be able to play this. Does anyone have any solutions short of upgrading to a ps4 pro? (playing on the slim). Has anyone tried dramamine for this type of headache? I'm assuming it's caused by the shoddy framerate.

DKHF

Played for about 3 hours so far and enjoying it quite a lot so far but the framerate is definitely very unfortunate... Didn't think it would be so bad in so many places. At least I haven't had issues with the camera (which I've seen a lot complaints about) so far.

RaidenZR

Okay, I so I did a search in this thread but am not yielding any results for a part I'm having trouble with.

I'm in the cave lake/lagoon where you surface with Trico after teaching him to deep-dive underwater. We swam to the corner where there's a barrel in an alcove. How do I feed this to him? Tried throwing it to his mouth while he was swimming, but nope. Then I thought I could just carry it over to the ledge and he'd eat it from the water, but that's not the case. He also keeps jumping off the grassy-rock cliff on the other side of the room, making waves as a result, so I thought I could ride the tidal wave on to the lowest part of the rock shore, but that's not working either. And I can't seem to do the simple thing which would be to stand on the shore and just pick the barrel up. The boy just falls in again...

What am I doing wrong? I feel this game has made me completely dumb in this moment.

Okay, I so I did a search in this thread but am not yielding any results for a part I'm having trouble with.

I'm in the cave lake/lagoon where you surface with Trico after teaching him to deep-dive underwater. We swam to the corner where there's a barrel in an alcove. How do I feed this to him? Tried throwing it to his mouth while he was swimming, but nope. Then I thought I could just carry it over to the ledge and he'd eat it from the water, but that's not the case. He also keeps jumping off the grassy-rock cliff on the other side of the room, making waves as a result, so I thought I could ride the tidal wave on to the lowest part of the rock shore, but that's not working either. And I can't seem to do the simple thing which would be to stand on the shore and just pick the barrel up. The boy just falls in again...

What am I doing wrong? I feel this game has made me completely dumb in this moment.

I had the same thing happen.
What I did is hold onto the barrel while in water and try to hold it in front of him, you'll know when he's interested because his eyes will light up. Just keep it within striking distance while you're holding onto it and he should grab and eat it. It could take a few times before he goes for it, but he will eventually.

RaidenZR

I had the same thing happen.
What I did is hold onto the barrel while in water and try to hold it in front of him, you'll know when he's interested because his eyes will light up. Just keep it within striking distance while you're holding onto it and he should grab and eat it. It could take a few times before he goes for it, but he will eventually.

Oh god, that was so stupid.
I feel like that didn't work the first six times I tried it. He just sat there staring at me, and then went to climb his rock again.

But thank you!

Gbraga

Started it yesterday morning, just finished it.

What a brilliant, brilliant game. Ueda did it again, I didn't actually think he could do it. Of course I knew it would be a great game, but not THAT great.

I can't even find the words to describe my experience with it. I feel like I'll need a day to reflect on my experience before I can write it extensively.

An instant classic, one of the best games ever made, and possibly my favorite Ueda game, but I'll have to replay it and play SotC again as well in order to properly rank them without being caught in the hype.

post-S

I just dropped it into water and Trico eat it by himself lol

valkyre

Game is wonderful but that trophy list looks like its tailor-made with the specific purpose of making you absolutely loath the damn thing...

Top Bottom