• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Can anyone tell me where this fucking helmet I'm supposed to find is?!

C0jiVWjWgAATVUA.jpg

I'm maybe a quarter of the way through. I've got a Pro so I can more or less tolerate the performance. But, I don't think I can deal with the AI, camera, or controls anymore.

They're seriously some of the worst I can remember running across in an otherwise quality game (at least in terms of production values). They're just awful.

I keep hearing the whole, "well it's intentional, didn't you play Shadow of the Colossus"? And yeah, I have. But, that's an 11 year old PS2 game that struggles to hit 20fps. It's 2016, tons of progress has been made since 2005. Who wants a game that feels like that?

eXistor

I'm maybe a quarter of the way through. I've got a Pro so I can more or less tolerate the performance. But, I don't think I can deal with the AI, camera, or controls anymore.

They're seriously some of the worst I can remember running across in an otherwise quality game (at least in terms of production values). They're just awful.

I keep hearing the whole, "well it's intentional, didn't you play Shadow of the Colossus"? And yeah, I have. But, that's an 11 year old PS2 game that struggles to hit 20fps. It's 2016, tons of progress has been made since 2005. Who wants a game that feels like that?

I honestly got used to them fairly quickly. Not saying they're perfect, but for me it was mostly the camera that I felt could be more responsive (it seems to have a giant deadzone). They're genuine issues, but overall they did little to diminish the fun or immersiveness the game provided and I don't really share this particular criticism to the degree that some seem to.

Robot Pants

Game is wonderful but that trophy list looks like its tailor-made with the specific purpose of making you absolutely loath the damn thing...
Yep. Especially All Talked Out
It's actually not as bad as it seems initially. Luckily all your progress carries over from each play through so you don't have to do them in one run.

RangerBAD

Yep. Especially All Talked Out
It's actually not as bad as it seems initially. Luckily all your progress carries over from each play through so you don't have to do them in one run.

That's the key and you can checkpoint abuse for some trophies too. Only problem is that Toriko seems way less responsive when you know what you need to do.

On a side note, I got a TLG t-shirt for Christmas.

Got the copy I ordered today for Christmas! Despite being shipped and sold by Amazon themselves, my copy seemed to have come from a third party and I got a European copy of the game with a pegi rating. Is there anything different with the game or should I still be good?

LAA

Beat it and overall loved it.
I didn't find the controls as infuriating as I feared they'd be, but definitely not great at times, but yeah it's sad I wouldn't say the gameplay has adapted to modern times. It also wasnt great seeing frame rate drops...even on a PS4 Pro.

What's annoyed me now though...is I was going through the first playthrough to get all the collectibles, beat the game...I found I missed 1 barrel.... urghh. 2nd playthrough was going to be for the 5 hour speedrun, but gonna need to get all the barrels again now. Don't know how possible it'll be to get all barrels and beat it in under 5 hours. I know at least one barrel will massively affect that.

Breesus Christ

Neo Member
Got this as a surprise for Christmas! Was thinking that I would have to wait till late January to get get it. Absolutely cannot wait!!! Got gold wireless headphones too so I can't wait to just shut of my mind and dive into this world!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

The camera was fixed with the recent patch to be more responsive, I dont know what your problem with the controls is? The boy stumbles about but he does what you tell him to once you get the hang of jumping and climbing physics.. Giving Trico commands can be tricky sometimes but that doesnt mean the AI is bad.

Seriously is there a valid criticism here or did some people latch onto what the reviews said and made up their minds?

Xeilyn

I just beat it, what a wonderful game. Trico felt like a real animal at times and i really cared for him/her, i think it helps if you've had animals yourself. There are very few games that have made me feel this way.
I actually got tears in my eyes

i got used to the controls and camera within half an hour and it only really bothered me a handful of times when it took a couple of tries to get Trico to do what i wanted.

Im glad this type of game can actually exist in 2016.

I wouldnt say that the game was fun but it truly is special and i will never forget it or Trico

Thank you Ueda

Breesus Christ

Neo Member
So Far I'm about 40 minutes and WOW this shit is stunning!!! Also having having the headset companion app for the golds I just got that supports the last guardian sound mode. Good lord the music score and the sound of the boy and trico is just another level. This game man!!

Kieli

Guys, I'm still stuck in that place where you can first make
Trico jump over a gap to the other side. I managed to get the door open here, but I have no clue how to proceed. There's a ledge with a door past those rotating stone-people sensor thingies, but I can't seem to get Trico to boost me up there.

Gbraga

Most SNES game were 60fps, my favorites all had great and responsive controls. I really don't get this "it's 2016" point people make as to why Shadow of the Colossus was acecptable and this game isn't.

In fact, that point should be made around the transition to 3D, when the standards were dropped for graphics to evolve.

I think both games have amazing gameplay, btw, and also think that both have absolutely awful performance, no matter the year.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Guys, I'm still stuck in that place where you can first make
Trico jump over a gap to the other side. I managed to get the door open here, but I have no clue how to proceed. There's a ledge with a door past those rotating stone-people sensor thingies, but I can't seem to get Trico to boost me up there.

Get Trico to boost you up, similar to how you got the first door open. He did it automatically for me.

SRTtoZ

Got it for xmas, finally the entire family left and theres nothing in between me and TLG and a 12 pack of beer. Good lord.

Raiden

Banned
Just finished this. What an experience it was. I know the main flaws people are bothered with are framerate and sluggish controls but honestly it adds to the atmosphere of the world. I dont know if you could get the same feeling from 60fps and lightning fast controls and camera.

Chumley

Banned
What am I supposed to do after crawling through that hole that leads into the foresty area with a musical cue? Pretty early on. Don't want to look it up on YT for fear of spoilers.

Gbraga

Just finished this. What an experience it was. I know the main flaws people are bothered with are framerate and sluggish controls but honestly it adds to the atmosphere of the world. I dont know if you could get the same feeling from 60fps and lightning fast controls and camera.

I completely disagree. I'm not even talking about 60fps here, but no one was bothered with 30fps. When they complain about the framerate, they're talking about the large periods of time when the game fails to reach that. Nothing is added to the atmosphere when you're transitioning from one environment to the next and the game runs so terribly you can count the frames.

If anything it takes you out of the experience. You just leave a very oppressive atmosphere and find yourself in an open place, where you can look up and see the pogress you made, as well as look down and see where you came from, and the first thing you notice is that the game is running like shit in this area. It takes you away from the cathartic experience it should be, it's not building anything.

I don't have an issue with the controls either, though.

The camera was fixed with the recent patch to be more responsive, I dont know what your problem with the controls is? The boy stumbles about but he does what you tell him to once you get the hang of jumping and climbing physics.. Giving Trico commands can be tricky sometimes but that doesnt mean the AI is bad.

Seriously is there a valid criticism here or did some people latch onto what the reviews said and made up their minds?

I think it's valid? Like I said, I've put two plus hours into it. Before buying most games, I usually just glance over Metacritic to make sure it's at least not completely awful. So I mean, I'm going into this with any pre-conceived notions. I also didn't notice any noticeable changes after the patch. I'm not saying there was no improvement, but all I noticed was that the dead zone was still as it was pre-patch. I think it comes down to where you draw the line, I don't think controls or camera angles should frustrate me. When I play games I want to get immersed and have fun, and those two things keep me from doing so.

I'll give you the AI. I hear the argument that Trico is an animal, so that's why it's tricky to get him to do what you want. It's not how I'd want to do it if I were in the designer's shoes, but I can buy it.

Most SNES game were 60fps, my favorites all had great and responsive controls. I really don't get this "it's 2016" point people make as to why Shadow of the Colossus was acecptable and this game isn't.

In fact, that point should be made around the transition to 3D, when the standards were dropped for graphics to evolve.

I think both games have amazing gameplay, btw, and also think that both have absolutely awful performance, no matter the year.

I'm not exactly saying that Shadow of Colossus is acceptable, at least by today's standards. My thoughts are this - if I'm playing Shadow of Colossus on my PS2, I know it's controls are heavy to say the least, kind of wonky too, plus the game doesn't run all that great. I know that. It's a great game, but there's the concept as to whether or not something has aged well. When it was released, flaws could be overlooked because it was a technical masterpiece with a great soundtrack, and innovative gameplay. When I say today's standards, think about this, there's a remaster. Does the remaster play better? Yeah, I would say it does. The frame rate alone makes the controls feel way better. So, if you can recognize that the game has a flaw or two, and you can recognize that the flaw could be 'fixed' given the technology when released, should the flaw be "OK"?

I think what everyone is really arguing over is whether or not the flaws are severe enough to be "valid criticism", or even anything beyond the game's "character". I think they are, but that's me. I think that others who may put more stock into the game's lineage will be more forgiving.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've been wanting to talk about the boys controls and why I think some people have a tremendously harder time than others despite playing the same game. Some people harp on the fact the controls give priority to the animation or they're too loose or not nuanced enough and while I can totally understand where these viewpoints are coming from I'm of the opinion not only are they very much on purpose to rely the feeling of playing as a child but actually implemented quite well if you go in with the right mind set.

My main example of this is how the boy traverses the terrain. Most games will have a character basically run over a flat rock surface the same as they run over some sand or even some larger chunks of rubble. It doesn't really matter to the player or the character even if the animation does react to the rubble its walking across. You still often have very immediate direct control that isn't affected by the environment unless its you running face first into a wall or falling off a cliff.

The boy is the exact opposite of this thinking and is similar to other games with a player characters animation done on the fly and driven by the physics of the game. If you run the boy over a flat even surface and then run him through some rubble the game is going to treat those exactly like they would a normal human boy. Running along a stone platform is no big deal but even moving through some small bits of rubble requires the boy navigate them as areal child would. He has to take big steps up and big steps down or even clamber over said pieces of rock and other items and pieces of the environment scattered about. The game doesn't want you steam rolling through the world like any power fantasy avatar most games provide you with but to play it like you're an actual little boy, it wants you to be there so it "punishes" you in a sense. Its not a literal punishment but it takes longer to surmount those obstacles rather than just run past them or ride Trico over them or so on.

I don't think most people ever really think about this reality in the game because modern game design by and far doesn't ever really bother to cover this ground, no pun intended. Very few games follow this idea and its mostly stuff like the GTA games that go for this kind of control and physics driven animation system and implement it to the point that it actually affects the gameplay. Naughty Dog and Uncharted do the exact opposite where your character reacts to even the slightest parts of the environment but it rarely slows you do or forces the animation to take control away from you.

The game rewards you with smart navigation of the environment and I don't just mean climbing up a chain to find a platform with a hidden barrel on it but even choosing to run around a pile of rubble because it will be faster, more immediate and not lock you into a variety of climbing and maneuvering animations. This reinforces the idea you're playing a child as much as his lack of major ways to defend himself from the suits of armor or having to rely on Trico to advance through puzzles far beyond his ability to influence by himself.

I realize some people hate this but I do think some should take a different view of why the boy controls and acts the way he does. Every aspect of the game from graphics to music to even the controls and movement are all very purposeful to try and create a mood, a tone, an aesthetic much the same way a movie like Mad Max Fury Road rarely bothers with elaborate or verbose dialogue which a lot of people will not like but it furthers the movie in the end as it ties into the very core of the story trying to be told and how it is being told.

Just my two cents on the controls and why they aren't "bad". This isn't too say people have to like them either but the controls are not only very intuitive when you take the right mind set and view every bit of the game world as a part of the larger puzzle it opens the game up quite a bit. For those frustrated or angry or what not just try and keep what I said in mind, not to change your minds or anything, but to hopefully make the game a bit more intuitive and easier to control overall.

Just my two cents on the controls and why they aren't "bad". This isn't too say people have to like them either but the controls are not only very intuitive when you take the right mind set and view every bit of the game world as a part of the larger puzzle it opens the game up quite a bit. For those frustrated or angry or what not just try and keep what I said in mind, not to change your minds or anything, but to hopefully make the game a bit more intuitive and easier to control overall.

It's not just running around in open areas that's the problem, it's everything else. You don't have analogue control over his movement speed; if you push the stick forward a little bit he'll creep along on his tiptoes, and if you push it any more than that he'll flat out sprint, so combined with the general unresponsiveness it's very hard to make small adjustments. The simplest things like lining him up with levers or barrels is unnecessarily difficult.

Climbing on Trico is an absolute nightmare due to a combination of the poor camera, the lack of a grip button, and the way the controls change. When you're on Trico, up on the analogue stick makes you climb up, and down makes you climb down, irrespective of where the camera is pointing. So imagine you have the camera pointed at Trico's right side and the boy is hanging on Trico's left side. You want to make him climb towards you, so you pull the stick towards you, because that's how you'd make him come towards you in any other circumstance, but in this particular instance it's going to make him climb down, away from you.

I can't count how many times I'd be trying to jump off Trico's head only to have the boy overbalance and auto-grab onto Trico, which of course means he won't jump. The boy would be obscured by Trico's head, though, so I couldn't see this happening, and I'd just be hammering the jump button with no idea of what was going on. Dropping SOTC's grip button, and thus giving you no control over when the boy grabs and when he doesn't, is just the most boneheaded move and only adds to the frustration. You can't get on him when you want to, you can't get off him when you want to, all because they inexplicably created a problem that didn't exist in their previous game.

I had very little problem guiding Trico in my playthrough, but the one-two punch of the atrocious boy and camera controls really spoiled the game for me. They're not my only complaint with the game (I hate the tooltip popups, and the voiceover narration is totally unnecessary), but I think if the game just had simple, reliable, functional controls it would be a genuine masterpiece. As it is, though, every moment I spent in control of the boy was made worse because the controls are terrible. Just the absolute fundamentals of video games, botched. If you go back and play Ico and SOTC, they don't control like this. It's not a Team Ico thing, it's a flaw that only exists in The Last Guardian.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's not just running around in open areas that's the problem, it's everything else. You don't have analogue control over his movement speed; if you push the stick forward a little bit he'll creep along on his tiptoes, and if you push it any more than that he'll flat out sprint, so combined with the general unresponsiveness it's very hard to make small adjustments. The simplest things like lining him up with levers or barrels is unnecessarily difficult.

Climbing on Trico is an absolute nightmare due to a combination of the poor camera, the lack of a grip button, and the way the controls change. When you're on Trico, up on the analogue stick makes you climb up, and down makes you climb down, irrespective of where the camera is pointing. So imagine you have the camera pointed at Trico's right side and the boy is hanging on Trico's left side. You want to make him climb towards you, so you pull the stick towards you, because that's how you'd make him come towards you in any other circumstance, but in this particular instance it's going to make him climb down, away from you.

I can't count how many times I'd be trying to jump off Trico's head only to have the boy overbalance and auto-grab onto Trico, which of course means he won't jump. The boy would be obscured by Trico's head, though, so I couldn't see this happening, and I'd just be hammering the jump button with no idea of what was going on. Dropping SOTC's grip button, and thus giving you no control over when the boy grabs and when he doesn't, is just the most boneheaded move and only adds to the frustration. You can't get on him when you want to, you can't get off him when you want to, all because they inexplicably created a problem that didn't exist in their previous game.

I had very little problem guiding Trico in my playthrough, but the one-two punch of the atrocious boy and camera controls really spoiled the game for me. They're not my only complaint with the game (I hate the tooltip popups, and the voiceover narration is totally unnecessary), but I think if the game just had simple, reliable, functional controls it would be a genuine masterpiece. As it is, though, every moment I spent in control of the boy was made worse because the controls are terrible. Just the absolute fundamentals of video games, botched. If you go back and play Ico and SOTC, they don't control like this. It's not a Team Ico thing, it's a flaw that only exists in The Last Guardian.

Personally I had no major troubles climbing or jumping off of Trico after like an hour with the game but then again i didn't have much trouble with the camera outside a few instances in tight quarters. I found the controls rather intuitive myself and wouldn't have enjoyed the platforming nearly as much if it was a complete shit show control wise. As I said I don't view the controls as bad whether its running around or climbing Trico. People will obviously disagree but I played SotC not long before this game and I found they both did what they wanted to accomplish and did it well. I found once you realize the boy sticks to Trico it was rather easy to dismount by simple mashing X for like two seconds to avoid gripping other parts of Trico on the way down and even jumping off of it while atop it was pretty easy once you realized the boy automatically gripped onto Trico whenever you weren't standing squarely atop it. That's just my own personal experience.

Edit: If I had a complaint about climbing Trico its that you had to mash X to avoid catching other parts of Trico when you should just be able to hold X.

gfxtwin

As much as I feel this game needs a walking animation cycle (in addition to tip toe and run) and a more automatic camera (similar to Ico, but not as far away all the time, or maybe like Devil May Cry's or Onimusha 3's...although how you'd make it happen while keeping the excellent environment design w/ the interiors of the ruins and a giant Trico following the player is a mystery to me), I feel like the controls are simple enough that they never really detract from the overall experience.

9/10 times holding X or climbing on top of Trico and jumping off works fine for me, and as awkward as it is to control how your character descends a series of ledges or something, the visual of that awkwardness being conveyed through his animations is yet another example of ludonarrative harmony that I appreciate. He's not a superhuman like Nathan Drake, he's clumsy and nervous about navigating the perilous environment, which is both intentionally and unintentionally conveyed via animations and the player's own awkwardness w/ learning the controls. And I know someone is thinking about shooting back with a "you're just excusing bad game design" response, so I'll pre-empt it by saying there are definitely flaws with the camera, framerate and to some degree controls, but this is not a game designed to be straight-up fun and addicting like most are, and frustration with platforming and interacting w/ Trico definitely seem to be some of the emotional responses the game is attempting to evoke from the player.

Man I've had this since launch but I wanted to clear backlog first. Its now clear and I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow but I am tempted to wake up early and pop it in for a few hours.

When I played Ico and SOTC, honestly when I play the vast majority of video games, I reach a point where I'm no longer thinking about the controls and I'm just in that world. You don't need ultra-responsive action game controls, they just need to be simple and reliable enough that you can forget about them.

TLG never ever reached that point for me. I struggled with the controls from beginning to end. I never felt like I had anything more than suggestive control over the boy; like, he might do what I want him to, but he also might just do something completely different. Maybe he'll climb Trico and everything will be fine this time, but maybe it'll take three goes before he realises I want to get onto Trico and then he'll just scamper around Trico's butthole instead and not get off even though I'm hammering the X button. Maybe I'll get that barrel on the first try, or maybe he'll just climb onto the big wooden box next to it instead. I hear they've fixed the camera in the latest patch, which is a step in the right direction, but when I played the game on 1.02 it would fight me every single time I wanted to do anything with it. Half the time your method of progression in this game is to go up, but the camera slows to a crawl and tries to recentre itself if you point it too far up, like it's actively trying to be as difficult as possible.

And it's such a shame to me, because I think the game design and the journey are both excellent. I loved travelling through the world, seeing how it all connected, and I'll remember some of those puzzles for years. Trico was my best bud from very early in the game, and the ending had me thinking about the game for days after. But at the end of the day, there wasn't one authored challenge in the game, be it puzzle, navigation or combat, that even approached the difficulty I had just making my character do what I wanted him to and making the camera aim where I wanted it, and it was just a huge wet blanket over the entire experience.

You don't have analogue control over his movement speed; if you push the stick forward a little bit he'll creep along on his tiptoes, and if you push it any more than that he'll flat out sprint, so combined with the general unresponsiveness it's very hard to make small adjustments. The simplest things like lining him up with levers or barrels is unnecessarily difficult.
Indeed. It's needlessly frustrating and backwards. At this point I've just decided to break for a day or two.

I'm like a hour in and I'm already in love with Trico, the boy, the world, the music, everything. Controls aren't an issue for me at all and I definitely fall under the "they're intentional" camp. Camera is indeed a bit rough but won't hinder the experience I don't think.

SRTtoZ

A few hours in, having zero issues with the controls. The biggest issue is of course performance but I am loving every other bit of this game to death. Worth the wait.

NYR

Camera in this game is absurd and horrid. You can tell why this game was in development hell - just poor level design when you are indoors or anywhere near walls. When you are outside, the game excels. Yes, the controls are very clunky and frustrating, but I don't see how they can be improved greatly, they were stuck in a situation where pace would be an issue if you played around with the controls. Button mapping isn't ideal either, and yeah, you can modify that via the PS4, but that shouldn't be a solution.

I just got to the point of the game where I can
issue commands to Trico - a bit after he gets his tail stuck in the gate
. How much do I have left, Am I near the end?

Camera in this game is absurd and horrid. You can tell why this game was in development hell - just poor level design when you are indoors or anywhere near walls. When you are outside, the game excels. Yes, the controls are very clunky and frustrating, but I don't see how they can be improved greatly, they were stuck in a situation where pace would be an issue if you played around with the controls. Button mapping isn't ideal either, and yeah, you can modify that via the PS4, but that shouldn't be a solution.

That's like... Quite early in the game.

Breesus Christ

Neo Member
Just finished my first session and literally got to exactly where the E3 2015 demo ends. Man this game it just sublime!!! As the posters above have noted, I've had really no issues with the controls and fully accustomed to it about 20 minutes or so. But being an previous Ico/Soc player probably helped out with for sure. Also have had really no issues with trico at all doing my commands. The world in this game is probably some of my favorite game worlds I've ever been apart of. At worst this is my number 3 game of the year, at best it might be my favorite of this game gen possibly so far. Can't wait for my 2nd session tomorrow!!

I don't understand the camera complaints. Sure it isn't perfect, but I never had any frustration. Turn up the sensitivity.

Why do you think you are near the end? It isn't even halfway.

Alucrid

Banned

lol that's like...1/5 of the game

Nonsense. The level design is organic. You have terrible navigation skills if you think it is bad. All of the indoor parts are interconnect once via history and you can easily make sense out of it if you try.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
God damn it can this just end already! Can't remember the last time a game I was this excited about disappointed and frustrated me as much as this game.

Any other game and I would've just called it quits so long ago but now I want to wrap it up and just move on with my life.

It gets so much progressively worse (the complaints voiced by others that I am inclined to agree with) but the most recent trifecta of mindboggling puzzle design elements is making me question why I'm doing this to myself; the 'dive' nightmare, the subsequent 'cage' puzzle and finally the immediate 'helmet' '"""""puzzle""""" thereafter...Why...why why why please god make it stop I know I'm close to the end.

Ratrat

You poor thing.

I wonder why people seem to be pretty split between a smooth experience vs getting stuck on nearly every puzzle.

I usually have terrible odds with game puzzles, but only had to look up a solution for one room in this game. You're not supposed to figure everything out instantly.. I don't understand the frustration and 'can't wait for it to end' remarks. Did you expect Uncharted's guiding hand?

I think it is pretty remarkable how the puzzles in this game feel so natural, their mechanisms invisible to me. Sometimes it took me a long time to figure them out or even to get Trico to do what I wanted, but besides one room it never felt impossible or unfair.

If the wonder of being in its world, and interacting with Trico doesn't do anything for you, I guess it just isn't for you.

Jeels

I'm really bad at puzzle games to the point I am constantly looking up guides for simple stuff.

I haven't needed to look up a guide once for this game and I am about 80% done with it based on comments in this thread...

You poor thing.

I wonder why people seem to be pretty split between a smooth experience vs getting stuck on nearly every puzzle.

It's pretty fascinating. I'd love to see some blind playthroughs of the game to note what frustrates people/what they have trouble with most. Like, is it frustrating because the game is making you feel stupid for not being able to solve simple puzzles? Did you run into a bug? Have you played Ueda's previous titles? Is your level of patience easily tested? It could be a number of things. There's a clear disconnect somewhere between those who've had a fluid experience and the ones painfully trying to force their way to the end.

Top Bottom