• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This game is apparently the ultimate, "nonononono the game isn't the problem, you're the problem" game.

I dont get it. The camera was fixed with the latest patch, the controls arent bad at all (the boy gets stuck while climbing rarely but that's collision detection, not controls).

Ive never had a problem with Trico, look at it and observe it a lot of times it gives you hints and clues on how to solve puzzles. Ive only had to ask Trico to jump twice or thrice so far, most of the time he even makes jumps himself.

Anytime Ive been stuck, its been me who wasnt understanding the situation, not Trico. This is the big thing, most people nowadays will never admit they made a mistake or at fault. This is why games have gotten so dumbed down with minimaps and waypoints everywhere. Devs are afraid to challenge gamers because no one wants to admit they suck and have to learn/improve. Many games dont even get finished nowadays. Its for these reasons many people wont like Last Guardian, it requires patience and observation skills which goes against what most people want from games: instant gratification and not having to use their brains.

A-V-B

Yes, although there are bugs that affect some user experiences.

Yeah, it's not bug free. There are absolutely a few instances where trico gets glitched into a feedback loop where he listens and does absolutely nothing, just stands there waiting for input or routines that never come. That's a real bug, and they should look into it.

Im stuck in the part where you fall through the floor into a green pond with a crate on a small bit of land. i need to somehow get trico down here but he wont break through the floor. wut do

EGM1966

Im stuck in the part where you fall through the floor into a green pond with a crate on a small bit of land. i need to somehow get trico down here but he wont break through the floor. wut do

Keep calling him. Unless he's borked he'll eventually give you an option out.

Tagged the detail:
if you call enough he'll break through the ceiling in a few places and his tail will eventually drop through - you push the box over to it (it'll be out over the water) climb on box and jump onto his tail. It can take a while for him to do this in my own experience and this is probably the most frustrating puzzle as you have no option but to keep calling him and wait for him to do his thing so far as I can tell

Keep calling him. Unless he's borked he'll eventually give you an option out.

Tagged the detail:
if you call enough he'll break through the ceiling in a few places and his tail will eventually drop through - you push the box over to it (it'll be out over the water) climb on box and jump onto his tail. It can take a while for him to do this in my own experience and this is probably the most frustrating puzzle as you have no option but to keep calling him and wait for him to do his thing so far as I can tell

yeah its been about 45 mins of restarting, hitting the box, calling him, etc. guess ill play the waiting game

Majmun

My cousin and I played this from start to finish. Such a great experience.

The controls and camera can be frustrating sometime, but the game feels so special.

We were staring at Trico the whole time. The way he moves and animates...it's something we've never seen in a game before. Trico looks cute but can also look intimidating. I bet it was a hell to program something like that.

We didn't have any issues with the puzzles. But we got stuck one time. Resetting the game helped.

And the environments...
It't clear how the Souls series was inspired by these games. Ueada's games have some really eerie environments. The world looks so interesting and lonely. Very special.

So yeah, I loved this game. Going to replay it alone soon.

Posted this in the other thread so here.

Just finished the game and I have to say it did something what no other game did this year and that is it brought tears to my eyes. The story about Trico and a little boy going on this epic journey is something I won't be forgetting for a very long time. One hell of a game aside from the camera and bad frame rate. This game makes my second spot just, just behind Uncharted 4. It probably would've been first if it wasn't for the camera and frame rate.

Just because of the emotional story I give a 9.5/10. It would of easily been a 10 but again the camera and frame rate held it back for me. Everyone needs to play this game.

Unit24

I dont get it. The camera was fixed with the latest patch, the controls arent bad at all (the boy gets stuck while climbing rarely but that's collision detection, not controls).

Ive never had a problem with Trico, look at it and observe it a lot of times it gives you hints and clues on how to solve puzzles. Ive only had to ask Trico to jump twice or thrice so far, most of the time he even makes jumps himself.

Anytime Ive been stuck, its been me who wasnt understanding the situation, not Trico. This is the big thing, most people nowadays will never admit they made a mistake or at fault. This is why games have gotten so dumbed down with minimaps and waypoints everywhere. Devs are afraid to challenge gamers because no one wants to admit they suck and have to learn/improve. Many games dont even get finished nowadays. Its for these reasons many people wont like Last Guardian, it requires patience and observation skills which goes against what most people want from games: instant gratification and not having to use their brains.

By contrast, you seem to be claiming that it's always the player's fault and never the game's, even though the game's issues are pretty well known at this point, even by people who like it. What about the times when I want to jump off of Trico, but instead I end up jumping down to a lower part of his body, completely defying gravity to do so? Or when I want Trico to jump up somewhere and he gets confused because he's looking in just slightly the wrong direction? Sometimes it's not a problem of people not using their brains, but the game not working as intended even when you know what to do. It's not a perfect game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
By contrast, you seem to be claiming that it's always the player's fault and never the game's, even though the game's issues are pretty well known at this point, even by people who like it. What about the times when I want to jump off of Trico, but instead I end up jumping down to a lower part of his body, completely defying gravity to do so? Or when I want Trico to jump up somewhere and he gets confused because he's looking in just slightly the wrong direction? Sometimes it's not a problem of people not using their brains, but the game not working as intended even when you know what to do. It's not a perfect game.

The controls work relative to the camera. If you jumped and the boy didnt jump in the direction you wanted, it means you didnt orient the camera properly.

Once again the camera issues were bad before but the recent patch improved it considerably.

please! tell this to the many of us who ended up
having trico's tail get hung up on the damn beams below the hole in the floor!
as much as i worship the game, there were absolutely several situations in my playthrough that went beyond 'patience & observation', & into the realm of 'screw around / reload & hope for the best' :) ...

gfxtwin

Hint - even a Trico might have trouble jumping high out of water that deep. Maybe getting him to fall in isn't the goal and there's another way...

gfxtwin

please! tell this to the many of us who ended up
having trico's tail get hung up on the damn beams below the hole in the floor!
as much as i worship the game, there were absolutely several situations in my playthrough that went beyond 'patience & observation', & into the realm of 'screw around / reload & hope for the best' :) ...

This situation is one of the few that I think can be legit frustrating.
If the tail is stuck on the beam, you can somehow get it to fall by moving the box right under it. Not the best puzzle design IMO.

bosseye

Finished it. Superb game in so many ways. A few issues/irritations (tail in the water, the camera, some others) but ultimately it's been a wonderful experience.

ICO_SotC

I like the game, but a camera with that big a dead zone is not "fixed". People who have problems with the technical issues of the game are valid.

Unit24

The controls work relative to the camera. If you jumped and the boy didnt jump in the direction you wanted, it means you didnt orient the camera properly.

Once again the camera issues were bad before but the recent patch improved it considerably.

That doesn't make sense. It's possible to face the camera forward to where you want to jump, only for the kid to jump downward to a lower part of Trico's body.

It's not a camera problem, it's an issue with the game detecting whether or not you want to climb Trico or stand on him. It's annoying to orient the kid properly on a constantly moving surface. It's understandable why this issue exists, but it's still obnoxious.

This situation is one of the few that I think can be legit frustrating.
If the tail is stuck on the beam, you can somehow get it to fall by moving the box right under it. Not the best puzzle design IMO.

seriously! which's why i say that anyone who insists that every 'problem' with the game can be solved via 'patience & observation' should consider the possibility that he/she may've simply been fortunate enough to've had a particularly smooth time with the game compared to others :) ...

Is the dead zone and the delay between input & reaction this bad for everyone? (I know it's not the TV, all other first- and third-person shooters feel perfect.)

I know people play games differently and I'm sure this doesn't bother a lot of people, but I almost subconsciously move the camera in slight, subtle movements when I'm playing games like this, and the fact that my "automatic" stick movements just don't work with the game makes it feel wildly unnatural and frustrating. It's been at least 6 years since I've played a third-person game with a camera that feels this bad.

Edit: Even saying it's "camera" problems is wrong, really. FFXV is a game that has a camera that can be awkward in many situations, moving around when it contacts geometry or not giving a clear view of the characters, but it's something you can work around. TLG's problem is the way it's treating the actual input from the controller; I press something and the game doesn't recognize it in an appropriate - or even a consistent - manner. Like, I don't understand how something like this can even happen. By the PS3 this shit may as well have been standardized.

That doesn't make sense. It's possible to face the camera forward to where you want to jump, only for the kid to jump downward to a lower part of Trico's body.

It's not a camera problem, it's an issue with the game detecting whether or not you want to climb Trico or stand on him. It's annoying to orient the kid properly on a constantly moving surface. It's understandable why this issue exists, but it's still obnoxious.

you don't understand. The game doesn't have flaws. YOU have flaws.

Is the dead zone and the delay between input & reaction this bad for everyone? (I know it's not the TV, all other first- and third-person shooters feel perfect.)

I know people play games differently and I'm sure this doesn't bother a lot of people, but I almost subconsciously move the camera in slight, subtle movements when I'm playing games like this, and the fact that my "automatic" stick movements just don't work with the game makes it feel wildly unnatural and frustrating. It's been at least 6 years since I've played a third-person game with a camera that feels this bad.

Edit: Even saying it's "camera" problems is wrong, really. FFXV is a game that has a camera that can be frustrating in many situations, but it's something I can work around. TLG's problem is the way it's treating the input from the controller; I press something and the game doesn't recognize it in an appropriate (or at least a consistent) manner. Like, I don't understand how something like this can even happen. By the PS3 this shit may as well have been standardized.

It might be a people thing because I had more trouble with FFXV camera (on combat of course) than on this game (which has its problems).

Started the game a few hours ago.
Wow man. 100% Team Ico / Fumito Ueda Awesomeness!
Already gives me a "this is a masterpiece" feeling.
Running with smooth and stable 30fps on my Pro 1080 TV. Game looks beautiful. The Animations of Trico are just insane.

Ok, the camera can be a bit strange at times, but i can handle this. Nothing too annoying.

Also love the typical Team Ico controls and the handling :)

Finished it a second time, this time with my sister. Good to know that the game still gets me, my throat is broken. My sister is a mess too.

Just watched the Easy Allies discussion on the game from their Frame Trap episode from a few days ago. That was just a pleasure to listen to and a great discussion on the game overall.

Highly recommend it to anyone who has beaten the game who just wants to get some feelings on the game from others or just what the Easy Allies guys thought were thier favorite moments.

As someone who spends most of their time playing games on PC the frame rate of TLG is an eye-opener. Let's talk about what constitutes "ok" for a frame rate and response time.

Credit are rolling. Just finished.

It's not GOTY but it's very high quality. Put it a bit below SOTC myself but really enjoyed this. No western studio woulda made this.

8.5/10

Jeels

Just made it to the end.

I wasn't expecting to cry but I got pretty damn close. Beautiful game. May end up being the defining game of the generation for me (Catherine was for the PS3 era).

Are there any other ways to support this title? I see a t-shirt on the PS gear store but not much else.

Just made it to the end.

I wasn't expecting to cry but I got pretty damn close. Beautiful game. May end up being the defining game of the generation for me (Catherine was for the PS3 era).

Are there any other ways to support this title? I see a t-shirt on the PS gear store but not much else.

The soundtrack on PSN might be a good idea.

As someone who spends most of their time playing games on PC the frame rate of TLG is an eye-opener. Let's talk about what constitutes "ok" for a frame rate and response time.

Hey, me too. I play everything on a GTX 1070 if it's multiplat. I had a great experience with the game, frame rate dips and all. The camera wasn't an issue for me, even pre-patch. The game automatically frames things sometimes, so you have to learn not to fight it with manual adjustments. Upping the sensitivity also works wonders.

Just finished it in one sittning on Patch 1.0.

Loved the game from start to finish. Trico is adoreable and so many fantastisk momentan but wont spoil anything else.

Dont understand the complaints about the controlls unless you are going for the 5 hour trophy. There were times it was mot working perfect sure but no problem. One annoying thing was the constant barrage of prompts.

Now that game is finished and I've had that 30 minutes to process this.

I think its a good game. It's not a great game. There's just a little bit too much jank with the cameras and controls. If the boy controlled better, this game would have been easier to play but he was a bit loosey goosey. The camera is probably the worst part of TLG; I was in the home stretch (last 30 minutes), and I was on TRICO's head and the camera went into his head geometry giving me eyeballs and a disconcerting look inside the polygonal shell that made up TRICO.

The game also had conviences where it just needed things to happen
cave in /getting caught in the elevator/cage
where boy passes out for the next bit of the game to happen. As for game play mechanics. It's a sort of puzzle solving, jumping lever pulling game. Not sure how this could ever be GOTY when none of it was particularly challenging; especially not the
hunt for a barrel of food
bits of the game. I do like that the game can surprise you even late game with the
TRICO swimming bits/wall wheel and see saw jump
bits. It needed more differing mechanics to keep it fresh <those last two sort of made me smile. The rest of the game? Not so much

bugs: late game -
mirror wouldn't work three times
until I killed the boy and the game relaunched

Took me a long time to finish this. 3-4 days of intermittent play. Anyone discounting the awful camera and somewhat janky controls as excusable, its really not. Any other game and you guys would be all over it.

Actually reading what I wrote; seem like I do think its a 6.5/10 game. The ending didn't capture me as much as it did some of you.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just beat the game. I liked it... But it has its share of problems.

For one, getting Trico to do what you want it to do is much easier than getting the main character to do what you want him to do. My god, I haven't played a game that controls as bad as this in a long time, just climbing on top of Trico was a massive chore. And let's not forget the fact that the game throws a shitty camera on top OF all that. I definitely died a handful of times just because of the horrid controls and camera combination.

I didn't really have too much trouble with any of the puzzles. The only two parts of the game that frustrated me were
the helmet part after rolling around in the cage and near the end with the fan, I didn't realize that there was a ledge that you can climb next to the fan :/

I really liked the music, and, outside of the framerate and some textures here and there, the graphics were great too. The whole game really reminded me of Ico though.

SirNinja

Just found an amusing bug. (Early-game spoilers ahead)

Before the first antenna room, there's a barrel stuck in the dirt at a dead end - almost impossible to miss. Have Trico destroy the wood barrier to the antenna room and pick up the barrel, but don't feed it to him; throw it into the room instead. Once Trico gets possessed and eats you, you'll notice the barrel is gone after the ensuing cutscene, even though Trico never ate it. Keep playing through to the part where you first encounter the possessed armor and calm Trico down. Return to the barrel's original location, and...you'll see it there again, buried in the ground as if you'd never taken it out.

Moobabe

How long has it taken you all to finish it roughly?

I'm only with my ps4 for a couple of days - could I get it done in that time?

Go_Ly_Dow

This is asking for a lot, but would anyone be able to take some pics for me of the English menus please and post them here please? I just purchased the Japanese version of the game (I can't get hold of the US or EU version here.

I would be eternally grateful. :)

Took me a long time to finish this. 3-4 days of intermittent play. Anyone discounting the awful camera and somewhat janky controls as excusable, its really not. Any other game and you guys would be all over it.

I don't know about that. Look at Bloodborne and the Witcher 3. Those games had their share of technical problems, but they are generally regarded as excellent games. If the game itself is good, people can be more forgiving of tech issues like camera and framerate.

With some of the discussion about Trico on the last couple of pages, I was musing the other day that due to the problems some of the reviewers had, I went into TLG with a bias against Trico's behavior. Everytime I had a problem with the game for the first hour or so, I automatically would put the blame on Trico at first - when every single time it was an issue with me solving a puzzle wrong, etc. As soon as I got out of the mindset of assuming Trico was automatically at fault, I immediately had a much more enjoyable experience. Because Trico is so responsive, if something didn't work with two tries, I knew I was doing the wrong thing and went on to try something else. I also realized how much I didn't need to direct him, and that it was a genuine, tangible back and forth partnership. I'm still in an awed daze from Trico, honestly. He was such a joy to spend time with.

I don't know about that. Look at Bloodborne and the Witcher 3. Those games had their share of technical problems, but they are generally regarded as excellent games. If the game itself is good, people can be more forgiving of tech issues like camera and framerate.

Yeah, absolutely. Bloodborne, W3, and FFXV are three big games from the last two years that I had a lot of issues with, but I was able to look past them due to what I enjoyed. Bloodborne and FFXV are frustrating experiences in the camera department, and while it took me time to get used to TLG's, the camera in TLG never once got me killed, thanks Bloodborne. TW3 drove me a lot battier than TLG ever did - the lag in all the menus, frame rate drops, and the load times were not kind on PS4. It took a lot of patching to make the experience more enjoyable, and there is still a lot of menu/map lag. I don't think TLG's problems are excusable, but other games have also had similar issues.

Finished Bloodbourne and the camera in that isn't half as problematic as Trico's The controls are also really tight in that one. I posted earlier that I repeatedly had to stop playing TLG as the game made me queasy (this coming from someone who has a PSVR unit)

I've been browsing the spoiler thread and there are people who really have had their enjoyment dampened by the poor camera/controls. Now imagine this game with better camera+controls....

Ratrat

Finished Bloodbourne and the camera in that isn't half as problematic as Trico's The controls are also really tight in that one. I posted earlier that I repeatedly had to stop playing TLG as the game made me queasy.

I've been browsing the spoiler thread and there are people who really have had their enjoyment dampened by the poor camera/controls. Now imagine this game with better camera+controls....
Bloodborne camera is mostly fine. Framerate and loading(later patched) were not. The Witcher 3 still has atrocious loading on ps4 with no Pro patch :( Nevermind all the complaints about that games combat.

bigol

I finished it yesterday, i'm usually not bothered by low framerate, but in TLG the low framerate+motion blur moving camera+ camera going reset so often made me feel dizzy every time i started playing the game, luckily it only lasted few minutes.

The game itself is so good i wish they will at least improve its framerate with a patch. It's a shame such a good game has to be brought down because of technical issues.

I think this game without its issues would have been a masterpiece, even better than Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

wreckml

Played the first few hours on a PS4 slim and had to stop because of the dips to 20~ FPS. Ended up getting a PS4 Pro for Christmas so I finished the game tonight on that. With the performance being better, it emphasized the other issues I have with the game: the controls and the camera.

The controls and the responsiveness of the main character are really, really bad. Then combine that with trying to get Trico to listen to your commands. I spent 20 minutes in one area pointing Trico towards the way forward, and having him ignore me and jump back down to the lower level. The camera is constantly getting obscured by buildings/objects/trico, and it feels unresponsive when manually adjusting it.

I absolutely loved the story, the music, the bond with Trico and a lot of the puzzles. But it was really hard for me to get past a lot of these issues. I still enjoyed the game overall, but it's a shame this game didnt reach its full potential for me.

ICO_SotC

Tip for people doing the speedrun trophy; if Trico is wasting time, just hit restart checkpoint.

The majority (not all) of time it will place him where he needs to be and will usually respond quickly.

mcz117chief

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!THANK YOU!

:) :) :)

You're a legend!

I'm honestly amazed nobody else cared to give you the screen. I was hesitant at first thinking you probably got them via PM. People these days need more Jesus :)

Top Bottom