• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Unwrapped this on Christmas Day and have been playing it whenever I get the chance. I'm loving it thus far, and it's everything I wanted from a follow-up to SotC and ICO. I've put in a good few hours already, but I suspect I'm not very far into it since the vibe of the game is so quaint, and often I just want to soak in the atmosphere, roam around and interact with Trico, so progress is very slow. I'm at the point now where
you enter the hallway with those weird spotlight things inside, and you have to pull the gate up to let Trico in while at the same time avoiding the armoured beings.
I can see the E3 '15 segment drawing closer and closer from the distance which is really cool.

In terms of performance and mechanics, I've been pleasantly surprise. I don't know whether it's down to the latest patch or just my own standards, but the frame rate has been fine for the most part. It does get shaky on occasion in outside areas, but I don't even notice it most of the time. The controls are finicky and cause some annoyance, like trying to let go when on top of Trico, but again, it's just something I can easily grow accustomed to. Not the best camera either, but I did what some here have recommended and turned up the sensitivity, which does indeed improve it considerably.

And yeah, Trico is certainly the star of the show. An amazing showcase of A.I. brought to life convincingly. The bond is already firmly established and I can see the story getting pretty heavy and stressful later down the line, which I'm kinda dreading. There was already a moment early on where I choked up, when a line of narration was spoken. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along the lines of
"The village elders warned me of the giant man-eating beasts that roamed the nest, but I felt no fear. None at all..." All the while Trico is looking at the boy lovingly with those eyes. Hnng, too much.
Another early-ish scene that brought out a reaction from me in a different way was
the dream sequence(?) in which Trico goes feral and eats the main character. I wasn't expecting that shit to go down!

So yeah, this is definitely something special. I want to take my time with the game and make the most of my first ever playthrough, but at the same time I'm itching to see where the story goes and how it ends.

Please give me a HINT

IM going insane

In this tower where I use my mirror to lift an elevator but the roof is covered and wont let us ascend

the funny bit about this one is I made a jump down and landed where I needed to. lol

Who do you guys think would be the best person to tweet at/suggest a patch to remove the button prompts? They are the only blemish on what is to me an otherwise perfect experience.

yeah. Even to the very last part of the game, it was telling me how to hang. I mean like come on. It was strange that the game was so prompty considering how minimal it was.

Completed last night and absolutely loved it despite some of its flaws.

Game of a generation for me, sound, story and AI were great.

Like most have said there is no AI like it in any other game, so realistic which helps build the bond

Thank you Ueda

Jennipeg

I think I just experienced some technical issues, In a cave with Trico, I climbed on his back and he proceeded to jump over obstacles and outside into an open area. I didn't really see anything because the camera just went nuts, I saw black, I saw feathers, even the inside of Trico's character model at one point. It made my eyes go weird so i've turned it off for a bit. I bet it would have been really nice if it had worked.

I'm loving this game though, I can't remember the last time I was so absorbed in a game. No outside distractions, just me and my headphones. Every time he makes a jump and slips I panic and try and think how I could help, if he is in distress I'm genuinely uncomfortable and desperately searching for the solution to make it better. It's beautiful and weirdly stressful.

Damn, this game is outdoing Uncharted 4 in its setpieces. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after Shadow of the Colossus...but these are some seriously thrilling and impressive moments. Even more so because often there is real threat of you dying.

Razmos

I'm really, really pissed off. I've collected every barrel in the game so far and I got to a ledge with 2 barrels, I threw them down to Trico and he ignored them and didn't eat them for some stupid fucking reason. He couldn't come with me so I knew he'd be left with the barrels and eat them, and I couldn't be bothered jumping back down to make sure he ate them. And I was under the impression I could go back after doing what I needed to do. But nope, the fucker completely ignored them, and now he refuses to go back to where they are. The nearest checkpoint is one after that point, and I cannot get back at all.

So now there is no way I'll get them all in the game and it's completely killed my motivation to go forward. I'm furious

DLaicH

Got this game for Christmas, and I love it so far. My girlfriend wanted to experience the game with me, but I was so excited to finally play it that I couldn't resist starting the game without her, and once I was in I was hooked.

However, when she did come over, I wanted to find a way to show her the game from the beginning without clearing my own save. However, since the game doesn't really use save slots, it seemed like hitting New Game from the title screen would erase my progress. I ended up closing the application, logging out of the PS4, and logging back in under her account just to start a new file.

That's kind of a hassle, so I wondered if anyone knew a better way of doing that?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't know about that. Look at Bloodborne and the Witcher 3. Those games had their share of technical problems, but they are generally regarded as excellent games. If the game itself is good, people can be more forgiving of tech issues like camera and framerate.

TW3 also had some janky controls sometimes, but it was nowhere near as bad as TLG. TLG honestly took the bad controls and camera to a new level. It's a testament to the rest of the game that I enjoyed it despite the control and camera.

I'm honestly amazed nobody else cared to give you the screen. I was hesitant at first thinking you probably got them via PM. People these days need more Jesus :)

It's great that you provided the screenshots, but don't do this. There could by a myriad of reasons why people did not give the screenshots other than "not having Jesus" -_-

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
TW3 also had some janky controls sometimes, but it was nowhere near as bad as TLG. TLG honestly took the bad controls and camera to a new level. It's a testament to the rest of the game that I enjoyed it despite the control and camera.

It's great that you provided the screenshots, but don't do this. There could by a myriad of reasons why people did not give the screenshots other than "not having Jesus" -_-

Personally I found The Witcher 3's horse controls to be a bigger pain in the ass for what you were expected to do on said horse compared to the boys and what he was expected to do by the game.

Got this game for Christmas, and I love it so far. My girlfriend wanted to experience the game with me, but I was so excited to finally play it that I couldn't resist starting the game without her, and once I was in I was hooked.

However, when she did come over, I wanted to find a way to show her the game from the beginning without clearing my own save. However, since the game doesn't really use save slots, it seemed like hitting New Game from the title screen would erase my progress. I ended up closing the application, logging out of the PS4, and logging back in under her account just to start a new file.

That's kind of a hassle, so I wondered if anyone knew a better way of doing that?

You really have no choice - The game is entirely based on autosaves to a single file.

DLaicH

You really have no choice - The game is entirely based on autosaves to a single file.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. And I can appreciate that they want to obscure system utility stuff for the sake of cohesion and immersion, but it does frustrate me a little bit that I don't have a great solution for my particular case. But this is coming from someone who struggles with a severe save scumming addiction anyway. ;)

Personally I found The Witcher 3's horse controls to be a bigger pain in the ass for what you were expected to do on said horse compared to the boys and what he was expected to do by the game.

Probably a consequence of playing TW3 right after being finished with Bloodborne, but I found TW3 controls to be pretty janky overall, consistently felt like I was fighting the controls. Controlling Geralt felt more like shouting general directions to a half-deaf person in hope he'd do what I wanted rather than, you know, controlling a character.

TLG hasn't given me not nearly as much problem (the camera could be a lot better, though).

My roommate bought this. If say about 80% of the time its a little boring, the other 20% it is frustrating. But it's hauntingly beautuful. Trico is awesome.

I like it, but I kind of don't

Hmm I may have to try this. I don't like pushing buttons during cut scenes because I worry they'll skip the cutscene by accident lol

Same.
One of the users from GameFAQs said he had tried to get a reaction and one of the Trico's horns lit up:

"After the shield scene If you press buttons a set of horns light up in the dark. The other Trico doesn't react at all which lends credence to the theory that the shield is resonating with our Trico at the end. Why not both? Could be just an Easter egg, but it seals the deal in my mind at least."

but I never tried it out.

Got the game for Christmas and have been living it so far. Not sure how far I'm into the game just a little bit after
getting stuck in the tree

I really dont see alot problems the reviewers had so far. So far..

Controls arnt really an issue outside some weird button placement.

If you take your finger off the right stick the camera is pretty decent at tracking you and giving you the best angle. Don't fight the camera. Just let it do its thing. Use the right stick to get a view of your environment and thats pretty much it. It's gets super wonky when your on really confined spaces.

Trico' s responsiveness can be solved by 4 words "dats a good boy". Give him a scratch before you have him perform an action and reward him with another after he completed it.

So like the previous poster, I got the game for Christmas and have put in a couple of hours. Yes the controls are loose and the camera does seem to have a mind of its own.

I have found the game so much more cinematic than I was expecting (this is my first team ico game). I think I can say with some certainty trico is the best ai character that we've seen in a game before. I'm just blown away by him.

I'm loving the game so far. This is the reason I play games for experiences like this. One thing has bothered so far that I would like an explanation for. I've just gained all the calling skills. I was at this section where I walked through a gap in a gate and I then ended up in a room with crates. Anyway next thing I know trico was behind me and I'm dumbstruck to how he got in that room with me and it's really annoying me. Hope someone can explain this to me

So like the previous poster, I got the game for Christmas and have put in a couple of hours. Yes the controls are loose and the camera does seem to have a mind of its own.

I have found the game so much more cinematic than I was expecting (this is my first team ico game). I think I can say with some certainty trico is the best ai character that we've seen in a game before. I'm just blown away by him.

I'm loving the game so far. This is the reason I play games for experiences like this. One thing has bothered so far that I would like an explanation for. I've just gained all the calling skills. I was at this section where I walked through a gap in a gate and I then ended up in a room with crates. Anyway next thing I know trico was behind me and I'm dumbstruck to how he got in that room with me and it's really annoying me. Hope someone can explain this to me

Yes, that door can be opened through the outside, it's like a puppy door but it can't be opened from the inside without a switch.

Edit: I mean, Trico (Toriko!) pushed the door with his head and the door rised. From the inside the same cannot be done.

Yes, that door can be opened through the outside, it's like a puppy door but it can't be opened from the inside without a switch.

Edit: I mean, Trico (Toriko!) pushed the door with his head and the door rised. From the inside the same cannot be done.

Ah brilliant. It was nearly breaking the immersion for me as I thought it was a bug

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I was stuck inside that area for a bit and Trico started banging his head on the gate. It bothered me so much that I pretty much begged out loud for him to stop hurting himself.

If I cant handle a small thing like that I dont think Ill be able to handle any super emotional moments that come up.

Ah brilliant. It was nearly breaking the immersion for me as I thought it was a bug

Yeah, I think we all fell for the same, but someone here said it (probably more than one person) and I saw it in my second playthrough.

Keep playing, it keeps getting better. ;)

I was stuck inside that area for a bit and Trico started banging his head on the gate. It bothered me so much that I pretty much begged out loud for him to stop hurting himself.

If I cant handle a small thing like that I dont think Ill be able to handle any super emotional moments that come up.

Brace yourself.

Just out of curiosity how has the game been received by gaf? This is my first time in the ot as I wanted to avoid spoilers. It's easily shaping up to be the best game I've played this year

I will admit
the rail carts with the eyes
sequence was pretty neat. Just got to the part where
you escape the guards and lower the drawbridge
. How far along is that? Maybe a third of the game?

I did get "stuck" for a sec not realizing that Trico would
catch me if I jumped
. Feel like they could've more properly introduced the mechanic.

HStallion

Just out of curiosity how has the game been revived by gaf? This is my first time in the ot as I wanted to avoid spoilers. It's easily shaping up to be the best game I've played this year

Mostly pretty positive even with the technical issues though some people are not fans of the games but that's no surprise for a game that has a vision and sticks to it with laser accuracy.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just out of curiosity how has the game been revived by gaf? This is my first time in the ot as I wanted to avoid spoilers. It's easily shaping up to be the best game I've played this year

People love the artistic vision and scope of the game but hate the: camera, controls and AI, sometimes enough to have it ruin their experience.

Brace yourself.

Oh God :(

SomTervo

I'm really, really pissed off. I've collected every barrel in the game so far and I got to a ledge with 2 barrels, I threw them down to Trico and he ignored them and didn't eat them for some stupid fucking reason. He couldn't come with me so I knew he'd be left with the barrels and eat them, and I couldn't be bothered jumping back down to make sure he ate them. And I was under the impression I could go back after doing what I needed to do. But nope, the fucker completely ignored them, and now he refuses to go back to where they are. The nearest checkpoint is one after that point, and I cannot get back at all.

So now there is no way I'll get them all in the game and it's completely killed my motivation to go forward. I'm furious

Is it your first play through? Why bother?

Just out of curiosity how has the game been received by gaf? This is my first time in the ot as I wanted to avoid spoilers. It's easily shaping up to be the best game I've played this year

There are lots of opinions, but I'd tell you that the game left a huge impact on those who liked it, the game it's really unique in its achievements (you can check that on the GAF GOTY 2016 OT.). Those who couldn't get past the controls and camera haven't been impressed, some even hate the game for it.

dmshaposv

All the frustrations of the AI, camera and some controls jank is forgiven when you finally finish the game.

The story and journey is so worth it.

Just remind yourself to restart from checkpoint if tou get stuck too long and play intermittently rather than speed rushing the puzzles.

All the frustrations of the AI, camera and some controls jank is forgiven when you finally finish the game.

The story and journey is so worth it.

Just remind yourself to restart from checkpoint if tou get stuck too long and play intermittently rather than speed rushing the puzzles.

Sound pretty much like this:

9jbgyi79620x.gif

Robot Pants

I love this game to death, but this has to be one of the worst trophy lists I've ever seen.

So infuriating. Especially All Talked Out.

Granjinha

Just got past the
part where you encounter the hostile trico and he gets you, in the cage

This game is GOTY tier stuff. Shame about it having the worst performance of all times, tho

Just finished this. What an experience it was. I know the main flaws people are bothered with are framerate and sluggish controls but honestly it adds to the atmosphere of the world. I dont know if you could get the same feeling from 60fps and lightning fast controls and camera.

it really doesn't. What you just said makes zero sense

Have the updates improved the technical issues at all? I'm downloading a 1gb update right now.

man if they improved anything at all with the patches i imagine the disaster it was before

it goes below 15 fps in some cases (a lot more than it should)

HStallion

Just got past the
part where you encounter the hostile trico and he gets you, in the cage

This game is GOTY tier stuff. Shame about it having the worst performance of all times, tho

it really doesn't. What you just said makes zero sense

man if they improved anything at all with the patches i imagine the disaster it was before

it goes below 15 fps in some cases (a lot more than it should)

Don't leave the game running between play sessions. Might be a memory leak but suspend and resume seems to hurt the framerate.

ICO_SotC

I love this game to death, but this has to be one of the worst trophy lists I've ever seen.

So infuriating. Especially All Talked Out.

Yup. That one alone is making this more tedious and trying than when I platinumed ICO or Shadow of the Colossus. I'm on my 5th play through, after following a guide for my 4th play through. and still not getting the trophy. Every hint is the one I hope that makes the trophy pop.

That's why the "lack of patience" argument frustrates me a bit, becuase I had the patience to platinum those games, and SotC you have to play through like 5 times and essentially get lucky against the 3rd Colossi in hard time attack mode to do it.

HStallion

Yup. That one alone is making this more tedious and trying than when I platinumed ICO or Shadow of the Colossus. I'm on my 5th play through, after following a guide for my 4th play through. and still not getting the trophy. Every hint is the one I hope that makes the trophy pop.

That's why the "lack of patience" argument frustrates me a bit, becuase I had the patience to platinum those games, and SotC you have to play through like 5 times and essentially get lucky against the 3rd Colossi in hard time attack mode to do it.

When people talk about lack of patience its not regarding trophy hunting.

void666

Banned
Started playing today. Played all the way to the bridge (E3) part.
Well, so far trico has been nice. But the boy is painfull to control. And the camera... jesus.
Also performance is not good. And this is on pro. Can't even imagine how it is on OG ps4.

I'm enjoying the game. But yeah, it's not a smooth experience.

Spoilers regarding a barrel at
the arena where you fight a bunch of soldiers then with Trico's help you get propelled in the and through a grate where I noticed that there is headless armor and butterflies... my guess is that you have to get a helmet up there but I can't seem to get it up there and it is frustrating... is there a way to arrange the helmet on/or position the "catapult" to make sure it goes through when propelled ? Thx...

Spoilers regarding a barrel at
the arena where you fight a bunch of soldiers then with Trico's help you get propelled in the and through a grate where I noticed that there is headless armor and butterflies... my guess is that you have to get a helmet up there but I can't seem to get it up there and it is frustrating... is there a way to arrange the helmet on/or position the "catapult" to make sure it goes through when propelled ? Thx...

Nope, you don't have to carry anything on your way up, never did that. It is a part where you open three big doors, right?

Nope, you don't have to carry anything on your way up, never did that. It is a part where you open three big doors, right?

Yes, it is after
the three doors. I pulled a chariot from a door and put it where the shadow of the upper grate was, Trico played a bit with the chariot that propelled me up. Then, upstairs, there is a headless armor, I'm pretty sure you need to bring a helmet with you to make it move so you can access an area behind it

Edit : nevermind found the trick, thanks !
You are supposed to
hold on the helmet while he sends you in the air

Why is everyone so fucking anxious to know when the game is over?

Prior to the release of the game, the consensus was that it would be a 4-6 hour game based on the idea that it was comparable to ICO and it was a single-player game. Ridiculous I know. Just imagine the reality when everyone is hitting the 16 hour mark and above.

Top Bottom