• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Ludens

Banned
I'm stuck in the first water pond, Trico simply won't swim under the water.
30 minutes here and still nothing, this game is glitchy as hell.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I started my second run, and checked my barrel count out of curiousity: I already had 40+! I didn't expect to be that close to the overall amount. Not using a guide, but I hope I can find a few more that I missed the first time around.

Now hoping that Trico decides to take a dump in this run. I have no idea if there is any way to influence it.

Razmos

I ragequit earlier, I'm at the part where there was a door being propped open by a mine cart, and you need to jump on a ledge to pull a lever and let Trico in. I did this, and the next part is an insanely cramped dark tunnel with a hole in the roof at the end.

I know exactly what I need to do, and even got him to jump up there twice.. somehow. But both times he jumped up without me.

He completely refuses to follow my orders, he keeps staring at nothing and growling, keeps backing out of the open space back into the tunnel where he can't jump. He won't follow me or move further in, he won't look at me when I call him... he just won't do anything.

I tried everything over the course of perhaps an hour, and he just will not comply at all apart from the 2 times he jumped up there without me, which seemed to happen randomly.

I was just shouting at my TV and getting increasingly frustrated. Something as simple as ordering him to jump up a passage should not give me this much trouble and the novelty of the controls is starting to wear off and is just getting frustrating.

I ragequit earlier, I'm at the part where there was a door being propped open by a mine cart, and you need to jump on a ledge to pull a lever and let Trico in. I did this, and the next part is an insanely cramped dark tunnel with a hole in the roof at the end.

I know exactly what I need to do, and even got him to jump up there twice.. somehow. But both times he jumped up without me.

He completely refuses to follow my orders, he keeps staring at nothing and growling, keeps backing out of the open space back into the tunnel where he can't jump. He won't follow me or move further in, he won't look at me when I call him... he just won't do anything.

I tried everything over the course of perhaps an hour, and he just will not comply at all apart from the 2 times he jumped up there without me, which seemed to happen randomly.

I was just shouting at my TV and getting increasingly frustrated. Something as simple as ordering him to jump up a passage should not give me this much trouble and the novelty of the controls is starting to wear off and is just getting frustrating.

Both times I finished the game Toriko jumped as soon as I commanded him. Maybe you're not in luck with that jump and positioning or anything but it cleary shows that you're having a terrible time. Are you using the R1 + triangle to make him jump?

Razmos

Both times I finished the game Toriko jumped as soon as I commanded him. Maybe you're not in luck with that jump and positioning or anything but it cleary shows that you're having a terrible time. Are you using the R1 + triangle to make him jump?
That's the command I'm using yeah, it must be a positioning problem but he won't go fully into the room, he kinda stops halfway in or will go in, and then walk backwards out of it when I climb on him

Ending spoiler based on our old discussion:

Someone said they just played the ending and R1 + O makes the horns light up post-credits.

Jinjo

Wow. What an utterly underwhelming experience. Just finished and I really wanted to like it, but the controls are so incredibly infuriating, I have yelled at the boy (not Trico) numerous times because he would not let go properly or jump the way I intended too. For a platform game that is inexcusable.

Trico is really endearing and while the story wraps up solid near the end I never felt any real threat at any point in the game, aside from maybe one or two encounters. All my deaths were due to the game not reacting the way I wanted to. And while the ending was good it in no way made up for the frustration with the game mechanics along the way.

Any emotional experience was severly hampered by technical issues, as it takes you completely out of the experience and reminds you constantly you are playing a (not-so-good-gameplay-wise) videogame. Setpieces did nothing to me as there was always only one correct route out of the situation and they were always really obvious. Beautiful game though, but I don't know, I just don't see this game the way some of you do.

This game is a dream. Apart from a few technical things it might stand up there with bloodborne as the highlight of this gen. Holy shit!

Trico has been my best bro on this journey. Their relationship is so lifelike. The attention to detail in every aspect from animations to sound design is absolutely astounding. I never got stuck anywhere, at least not 20 minutes. How I have missed a gaming experience as deep as this! That sense of wonder was there again, just as it was there with SOTC back in the day!

The controls are ok, I had no glaring graphic issues either; playing on the base ps4, btw.

EDIT: Haha, looking at the post just above mine I once again realize how different opinions can be. I'm sorry you didn't get your money's worth.

Jinjo

thisisneogaf.gif haha

I know opinions are really divisive about this game. I did not have an actual bad time playing it (I don't regret purchasing it), but I just don't feel about this game the same as you do for instance. Wish I could, but I doubt a second playthrough is going to change that.

thisisneogaf.gif haha

I know opinions are really divisive about this game, while I did not have an actual bad time playing it (I don't regret purchasing it), I just don't feel about this game the same as you do for instance. Wish I could, but I doubt a second playthrough is going to change that.

I know that feeling, though. I was left cold by games like Limbo, Inside, The Last Of Us and Witcher III on an emotional or personal level. I respect the games but in the end they didn't stick with me.

Wow. What an utterly underwhelming experience. Just finished and I really wanted to like it, but the controls are so incredibly infuriating, I have yelled at the boy (not Trico) numerous times because he would not let go properly or jump the way I intended too. For a platform game that is inexcusable.

Trico is really endearing and while the story wraps up solid near the end I never felt any real threat at any point in the game, aside from maybe one or two encounters. All my deaths were due to the game not reacting the way I wanted to. And while the ending was good it in no way made up for the frustration with the game mechanics along the way.

Any emotional experience was severly hampered by technical issues, as it takes you completely out of the experience and reminds you constantly you are playing a (not-so-good-gameplay-wise) videogame. Setpieces did nothing to me as there was always only one correct route out of the situation and they were always really obvious. Beautiful game though, but I don't know, I just don't see this game the way some of you do.

This game is a dream. Apart from a few technical things it might stand up there with bloodborne as the highlight of this gen. Holy shit!

Trico has been my best bro on this journey. Their relationship is so lifelike. The attention to detail in every aspect from animations to sound design is absolutely astounding. I never got stuck anywhere, at least not 20 minutes. How I have missed a gaming experience as deep as this! That sense of wonder was there again, just as it was there with SOTC back in the day!

The controls are ok, I had no glaring graphic issues either; playing on the base ps4, btw.

This is like the entire OT summed up in two posts

Okay, for the first time in the game I am properly stumped, and need some kind soul to point me in the right direction. I'm at the part where
the boy falls through the floor while pushing the giant urn. I'm in the water with a crate and have no idea what to do next.

Also, about how far am I in right now percentage wise?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Okay, for the first time in the game I am properly stumped, and need some kind soul to point me in the right direction. I'm at the part where
the boy falls through the floor while pushing the giant urn. I'm in the water with a crate and have no idea what to do next.

Also, about how far am I in right now percentage wise?

push the box in the water and push it around a minute till you notice something to grab and climb up. Also call Trico a few times which should help I think

And I think you are like half way if a bit more

push the box in the water and push it around a minute till you notice something to grab and climb up. Also call Trico a few times which should help I think

And I think you are like half way if a bit more

What do I grab? I've been in this place for at least 20 minutes now and I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks by the way.

HStallion

What do I grab? I've been in this place for at least 20 minutes now and I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks by the way.

Trico should sit down above you looking through the break in the roof and his tail should fall through a crack in the ceiling and you can jump onto it from the box when its in the water. There seems to be a weird physics issue where Trico's tail gets caught on the rafters and doesn't fall all the way down. Try reloading if it just won't happen.

Vanadium

What I did was get on top of him in the water and then point to the wall to the right of the dry platform. He dove immediately. In the second room all i did was get on his back and he dove and swam to the next area without me commanding him at all.

If you mean the absolute first water experience, what is it that Trico seems to obey even above you?

If it's the second one (or the one I think of) there is something you have to do beforehand.

Often times, you'll think the A.I is being glitchy, but it could be as simple as you missing something yourself

Trico should sit down above you looking through the break in the roof and his tail should fall through a crack in the ceiling and you can jump onto it from the box when its in the water. There seems to be a weird physics issue where Trico's tail gets caught on the rafters and doesn't fall all the way down. Try reloading if it just won't happen.

I restarted the checkpoint, just randomly started calling Trico's name and this time he actually shifted his position. I thought "great, problem solved!," except his tail never fell past the rafters and I couldn't reach it. I just turned the game off in the end. It was a long playing session anyways and I need a break.

It's funny really. It's been smooth sailing up to this point and I never experienced any of the frustration with the game I've read so much about, and then I reach this one section and the frustration pummels me with the force of a thousand waves.

HStallion

I am assuming people feel like me and want this shit show of a game to be over.

Or the more likely reason is because all manner of people were harping in ever TLG thread before release about how the game was in development hell and would result in a 5 hour long game.

Gloam

Anyone else getting infinite loading screens following deaths? It's happened to me twice now. Had to close application and go into it again to get it to start.

Freeman76

I restarted the checkpoint, just randomly started calling Trico's name and this time he actually shifted his position. I thought "great, problem solved!," except his tail never fell past the rafters and I couldn't reach it. I just turned the game off in the end. It was a long playing session anyways and I need a break.

It's funny really. It's been smooth sailing up to this point and I never experienced any of the frustration with the game I've read so much about, and then I reach this one section and the frustration pummels me with the force of a thousand waves.

I just cant get past the control methods in this. Its great that so many people can somehow work with it, and sadly I am enjoying the game but fuck me its frustrating enought to consider selling it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Binged a few hours last night and I think Im nearing tbe end. Its been an unforgettable experience, so many sequences I keep thinking back to. Theres two sequences which just had me bawling. Its crazy how much is said with so few words spoken.

The emotional attachment I have to Trico is a testament to the incredible work Ueda and his team did. The puzzles and scenarios that keep building on the basics you learn at the beginning just shows how tightly designed the game is.

Only got stuck once at the second water area where
Trico has to drop his tail down for you to climb
. Havent had any issues with Trico, he makes most jumps and navigates by himself most of the time. Ran into two glitches so far, one was a black screen after dying and the other was Tricos head glitched out and it would keep rotating around his neck. Had to restart both times.

Overall a phenomenal game and I keep contemplating if this will take GotY over Overwatch for me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Trico took a crap on my head shortly after starting the game. Even got a trophy for it lol

Freeman76
Just got shit on
Today, 04:23 PM, Post #4300

Edit: top of the page, Im so sorry Freeman

KalBalboa

Banned
Just finished it.

I really want to like it more but the finale was just plain clunky to me. I cringed when I decided to restart from a checkpoint, assuming I had broken the game when I had no obvious options to move the story forward.

I... Yeah, the ending just doesn't work for me when it comes to gameplay.

L95

Anyone else getting infinite loading screens following deaths? It's happened to me twice now. Had to close application and go into it again to get it to start.

I always thought the game was pretty quick on loading (though I got good at button-mashing the symbols away hehe) and I've never had an issue like that... hmm...

I just cant get past the control methods in this. Its great that so many people can somehow work with it, and sadly I am enjoying the game but fuck me its frustrating enought to consider selling it.

Oh I'm fine with the how the game controls for the most part, finicky moments aside like getting off of Trico. I'm absolutely loving the overall package and it's everything I could've asked for in a new Team ICO entry. It's just that one part that caused me enough trouble that I had to call it quits for the day. I hope they're aren't more annoying moments like that coming up.

Freeman76

Oh I'm fine with the how the game controls for the most part, finicky moments aside like getting off of Trico. I'm absolutely loving the overall package and it's everything I could've asked for in a new Team ICO entry. It's just that one part that caused me enough trouble that I had to call it quits for the day. I hope they're aren't more annoying moments like that coming up.

Its a testament to the design of the world and connection to Trico that I am able to look past this jank and soldier on lol

Bronetta

That was the only time I had to look up what to do. I knew what I had to do
push the box in the middle of the water and stand on it to get Trico's attention so he drops his tail down
. I just didnt know you're supposed to accomplish that by repeatedly calling Trico.

Thats perhaps the only obtuse moment in the game I had to look up, if you havent had any trouble before that then you definitely won't have any trouble afterwards.

As much as I love this game, climbing on Trico is more painful and frustrating than it needs to be. That's my only fault with the controls.

Ueda had perfectly functional climbing mechanics in SotC. Don't get why he didn't bring it back. It would have been so much easier to move around on Trico if we could grip and ungrip at will.

Bronetta

As much as I love this game, climbing on Trico is more painful and frustrating than it needs to be. That's my only fault with the controls.

Ueda had perfectly functional climbing mechanics in SotC. Don't get why he didn't bring it back. It would have been so much easier to move around on Trico if we could grip and ungrip at will.

Whats frustrating about climbing Trico? Jump up to grab his legs. Dont climb around his neck area because he turns his head often which prevents you from climbing. If youre trying to dismount either jump away or hold X to fall off.

This is a really dumb question, but please bear with me. I got this game from a third-party seller on Amazon, and they shipped me the European version of the game. Will this work alright if I live in the US? Also, are there any regional changes to the game itself?

Top Bottom