• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is a really dumb question, but please bear with me. I got this game from a third-party seller on Amazon, and they shipped me the European version of the game. Will this work alright if I live in the US? Also, are there any regional changes to the game itself?

You are fine, PS4 is not region locked. Also no differences.

Whats frustrating about climbing Trico? Jump up to grab his legs. Dont climb around his neck area because he turns his head often which prevents you from climbing. If youre trying to dismount either jump away or hold X to fall off.

I guess painful and frustrating were poor choice of words. Maybe the way it works is serviceable, but I think SotC's climbing works better and I just don't get why this game regressed in that aspect.

I guess painful and frustrating were poor choice of words. Maybe the way it works is serviceable, but I think SotC's climbing works better and I just don't get why this game regressed in that aspect.

The focus of the game is completely different. It shouldn't work like in SOTC. The climbing isn't the challenge.

Ok, so I found something really strange in the end of the game.

Endgame spoilers:
On the top of the tower, right when Trico is attacked by the horde I ran around the platform because I didn't find the mirror at first.

What I found instead were strange yellow blobs of goo I haven't seen before or after in the game. What are they? You can carry them.

silva1991

Ok, so I found something really strange in the end of the game.

Endgame spoilers:
On the top of the tower, right when Trico is attacked by the horde I ran around the platform because I didn't find the mirror at first.

What I found instead were strange yellow blobs of goo I haven't seen before or after in the game. What are they? You can carry them.

Yup that's
Trico's sweet poop.

No you don't need to watch your hand.

Shame you probably didn't see the animation tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z92_q04F9I

As much as I love this game, climbing on Trico is more painful and frustrating than it needs to be. That's my only fault with the controls.

Ueda had perfectly functional climbing mechanics in SotC. Don't get why he didn't bring it back. It would have been so much easier to move around on Trico if we could grip and ungrip at will.

The climbing on Trico is a bit awkward but the main offender for controls is the camera that constantly auto pans even when you're moving it yourself. It essentially feels like you're fighting phantom input and it's just awful. I had to force myself to not move the camera unless I was standing still.

There's a few strange oversights in that sense, like running on the spot when holding call and trying to move.

bender

What time is it?
Climbing on Trico would have been much better if he moved faster like in the old PS3 version trailers imo.

Transitioning from his tail or legs to the torso or from the torso from the neck also seems wonky. I finished the game this past weekend and I'm having trouble deciding how I feel about it. I have a lot of complaints about the game (camera, controls, interface, story presentation) but I'm glad it exists and I'm glad I experienced it. I cried a little bit towards the end of game.
After an encounter with another creature, Trico is lying on the ground, in pain and heavily panting. That struggle...I honestly thought he was going to die. I had to put down my longtime companion recently and I was transported back to the veterinarians office during those final moments. I guess I'm still emotionally raw but it is remarkable how believable the mannerisms Trico displayed throughout the game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The climbing on Trico is a bit awkward but the main offender for controls is the camera that constantly auto pans even when you're moving it yourself. It essentially feels like you're fighting phantom input and it's just awful. I had to force myself to not move the camera unless I was standing still.

There's a few strange oversights in that sense, like running on the spot when holding call and trying to move.

The camera usually reorients itself to clue you where to go next. Try not to fight the camera too much unless you cant see where you're going.

Sometimes it bugs out indoors in tight spaces or when Trico passes by walls but for the most part the camera reorients itself to show you the way to go.

Just finished it.
Often I raged at the controls, sometimes I raged at Trico for not listening and occasionally the camera went hectic, so yes, it is frustrating in that aspect.
However, I will probably never forget Trico's eyes.
This game is such a great experience, I'm glad it finally got released !

Just finished it.
Often I raged at the controls, sometimes I raged at Trico for not listening and occasionally the camera went hectic, so yes, it is frustrating in that aspect.
However, I will probably never forget Trico's eyes.
This game is such a great experience, I'm glad it finally got released !

The game wraps up so nicely, doesn't it? People talk about the satisfying ending but I think everything that happened before adds to the whole picture. The way the drama unfolds reminds me of good 80s/90s anime epics like Laputa or Nausicaä. I think they are related, even down to the themes.

The game wraps up so nicely, doesn't it? People talk about the satisfying ending but I think everything that happened before adds to the whole picture. The way the drama unfolds reminds me of good 80s/90s anime epics like Laputa or Nausicaä. I think they are related, even down to the themes.

Couldn't agree more.
The game really succeeds in building the relationship, it goes crescendo and at quiet a masterful pace. Everything is well thought out, from the architecture of the castle, the events, etc..

Dabi

my most memorable gaming experience this gen. Controls took some getting used too and the camera can be crap at times but everything else.... ALMOST had me in tears at the end ;).

Amazing game.

The camera usually reorients itself to clue you where to go next. Try not to fight the camera too much unless you cant see where you're going.

Sometimes it bugs out indoors in tight spaces or when Trico passes by walls but for the most part the camera reorients itself to show you the way to go.

True and it's very handy once you work it out, but it could have maybe been mentioned somewhere since that's pretty rare these days and it took a bit of time to work out what was going on. I've been wondering if some people struggling with the controls are fighting the camera and not realized it.

Foxxsoxx

Do we have any sales numbers for the game? Any kind of figures? I'm really curious how this fared, it would be a shame if this doesn't at least break even.

My girlfriend got me this for Christmas and I'm just getting around to playing it and I'm really enjoying it so far.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
nailed my epic E3 moment....
giphy.gif

A-V-B

Whats frustrating about climbing Trico?

Choosing where to climb isn't exactly natural, and yeah, having to keep hitting X to fall off because the boy keeps autograbbing isn't the best it could be. A soft grip button on R2 would really be the best.

So I just got the game and SHIT do those blue armored dudes scare the crap out of me.

I'm not even joking. I had to freaking pause the game when I jumped into a hallway and suddenly two of those freaks were after me. I seriously flinched in fear at that.

It's at a point where I'm afraid to walk down a hallway without Trico knowing that I could have 3 or 4 of those guys suddenly on my tail should I so much as turn a corner.

I'm now at a part where Trico's tail is stuck under a door and the only way forward is through a hallway where I can see five of those guys just waiting for me to walk by them.

Yeaaaah I think that's where I'll stop playing this tonight.

Choosing where to climb isn't exactly natural, and yeah, having to keep hitting X to fall off because the boy keeps autograbbing isn't the best it could be. A soft grip button on R2 would really be the best.

If you hold X down, rather than tap it, he will drop entirely from Trico.

Foxxsoxx

So I just got the game and SHIT do those blue armored dudes scare the crap out of me.

I'm not even joking. I had to freaking pause the game when I jumped into a hallway and suddenly two of those freaks were after me. I seriously flinched in fear at that.

It's at a point where I'm afraid to walk down a hallway without Trico knowing that I could have 3 or 4 of those guys suddenly on my tail should I so much as turn a corner.

I'm now at a part where Trico's tail is stuck under a door and the only way forward is through a hallway where I can see five of those guys just waiting for me to walk by them.

Yeaaaah I think that's where I'll stop playing this tonight.

yeah the first time I had 5 or 6 of those guys on me I was pretty spooked, that music and ominous tone make this a low key horror game at points.

Persona7

Banned

I didn't buy it. It was a gift. This game is absolutely riddled with a myriad of technical issues, buggy AI and performance issues. I like everything about the game besides playing it which is a shame.

You hate the game? no way. I'm actually shocked.

I wasn't exactly expecting much even after all this time after shadow of the colossus which had a empty lifeless world, bad controls and severe technical issues.

I'm stuck GAF.

I'm at a point where Trico lies down because he's hungry. I wander into this alcove where a large cart is stuck halfway under a gate; the cart is on tracks. The floor has fallen out underneath these tracks, and that's where I find a barrel to feed him. After I feed him Trico is at the ready, but I have no idea where to go.

There's a chain that takes me up to what seems to be a dead end.

Anyone want to give me a hint or two?

I'm stuck GAF.

I'm at a point where Trico lies down because he's hungry. I wander into this alcove where a large cart is stuck halfway under a gate; the cart is on tracks. The floor has fallen out underneath these tracks, and that's where I find a barrel to feed him. After I feed him Trico is at the ready, but I have no idea where to go.

There's a chain that takes me up to what seems to be a dead end.

Anyone want to give me a hint or two?

Go back inside the alcove and look around very thoroughly (you don't need to check underground).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This game is absolutely riddled with a myriad of technical issues, buggy AI and performance issues.

I just beat the game earlier and this is misinformation as well as a load of bullshit.

Foxxsoxx

Agree. My playthrough so far has yielded no such things. Fucking hyperbole through the roof.

Well the game definitely does have framerate issues and Trico himself can be a bit frustrating at times, definitely a unique experience but it does have some issues, mainly with Trico just not knowing what to do occasionally.

Gorgeous game though, aboslutely jaw dropping at times, especially with the excellent art style.

Freeman76

I just beat the game earlier and this is misinformation as well as a load of bullshit.

Agree. My playthrough so far has yielded no such things. Fucking hyperbole through the roof.

If there is any hyperbole in this thread its these posts. We get that you dont want a bad word said about your beloved game, but to say it has no technical issues is straight up insane talk.

Luckily the rest of the experience makes up for the jankiness and glitchy movement/gerting stuck on things. For you to make posts like this you either havent played the game or just want to troll the thread as this game is fled with technical issues. The fact its still GOTY material for most of us speaks volumes for the quality of the rest of it.

TLG has the same technical shortcomings TLG had when it came out on ps2. Oh, how I remember having discussions with people calling SOTC "unplayable" because of the framerate and controls. I strongly disagreed back then and I still do now.

The controls of the boy are good enough and together with the lifelike animations serve the game. You can see they went for dynamic transitions in that the movement feels organic to the current surroundings. I love how the boy stumbles his way across uneven ground. You can feel he's working his ass of!

I can see why anyone who played... let's say the NieR Automata demo before this could be turned off by the controls at first, haha! Most people will get used to it after a few minutes.

I have NOT encountered any AI glitches at all, though I'd be interested what happened to those who did.

black070

Starting the game now, and I'm a bit taken aback that there's been no mention at all of the HDR support that came with the first patch ?!

I think I am rouhgly 50% done but this game is...wow.

What I didn't expect was the great pacing. The flow of the game is jus perfect, the different situations all come together so smoothly. It is the biggest difference between this game and Ueda previous games I think. SotC was a bit repetitive because of its concept and ICO had less things happening.

Yeah the game has some problems like framerate issues, sometimes wonky cameras but you can count me in the team "it doesnt stand a chance chance against what this game manages to achieve"

Ludens

Banned
I just got a gamebreaking bug and I don't know how to solve it: reached the
final part of the game, in which you need to slow down the fan by using the shield in the slot, I'm on the roof but there's no Trico for me, nothing at all. There is just a weird looking statue, I tried to restart a checkpoint, quit the game and boot it again, uninstall it and install it again but nothing, I can walk on this roof but there's nothing I can do. I saw a video and Trico should appear as soon as I leave the fan area, but it's not there for me.

Ratrat

final part of the game, in which you need to slow down the fan by using the shield in the slot, I'm on the roof but there's no Trico for me, nothing at all. There is just a weird looking statue, I tried to restart a checkpoint, quit the game and boot it again, uninstall it and install it again but nothing, I can walk on this roof but there's nothing I can do. I saw a video and Trico should appear as soon as I leave the fan area, but it's not there for me.
Did you call him up?

When you slowed the fan, did you wait and call Trico? Because otherwise he should still be under the fan.

black070

Whoever thinks this game looks like a PS3 one has definitely never played the game, it's quite surprising how damn good it looks.

People just go "Doesn't have PBR -> Last-Gen Lighting -> (Ignore everything else the game does) -> 'Lol why didn't they release it for PS3' "

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Finally got playing this on Christmas Eve, I'm just at the part where
the other beast knocks you off the tower
and I'm starting to get really worried for Trico. I'm afraid to keep going and at this point I want to take the disc out and put it in the freezer.

Top Bottom