• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Facism

just got the game, the start already hit me square in the feels as it reminded me of the cat we had to put down last Christmas.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
This game really isn't finished, is it?

Trico just... Doesn't work a lot of the time. Most of the time I think I get what to do pretty fast, but then Trico refuses for a long time and I give up and do something else.

Now I'm stuck in the second water section. Opened the gate, instruct Trico to dive, he does, but turns and goes back, as if the gate is still there.

I've experienced too much of this shit, and I'm spending more time being bored and frustrated with Trico's stupidity than actually enjoying this game. Gonna load checkpoint, but if this happens again, and/or I meet more issues of this sort, I think I'm out. I've got better things to do.

Edit: This is getting ridiculous. He swims through if the boy falls off him during the dive, but turns back if the boy is on.

flattie

Trico just... Doesn't work a lot of the time. Most of the time I think I get what to do pretty fast, but then Trico refuses for a long time and I give up and do something else.

Now I'm stuck in the second water section. Opened the gate, instruct Trico to dive, he does, but turns and goes back, as if the gate is still there.

I've experienced too much of this shit, and I'm spending more time being bored and frustrated with Trico's stupidity than actually enjoying this game. Gonna load checkpoint, but if this happens again, and/or I meet more issues of this sort, I think I'm out. I've got better things to do.

Edit: This is getting ridiculous. He swims through if the boy falls off him during the dive, but turns back if the boy is on.

It's interesting reading the different experiences people are having with the AI. During my play through I had zero issues with Trico. Sometimes he needed a bit of repositioning, or pulled off the wrong action, but I never got to the point where I was banging my head against the wall for more than a few minutes.

That isn't to suggest people aren't having genuine issues, but it would be interesting to know just how many of those issues are down to the AI and how many are down to the player.

Just a few beginner tipps unrelated yo any posts:

1. Watch Trico. Often he sees things you don't.

2. Use the L button from time to time if you're sitting on Trico and are having problems adjusting the camera.

3.. Don't spam commands. Wait for the reaction.

These will work better once you get to a certain point in the game:

R+ analog stick = direction. Works with jumps and diving, too. Just use your camera and point upwards/forwards/downwards

R+Circle = specific actions like using
switches

R+square = attack/push

R+X = cancel current move. Don't use unless you need it. You'll confuse him otherwise.

R+triangle = jump. I think just pointing in a direction works better in most cases.

silva1991

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Just a few beginner tipps unrelated yo any posts:

1. Watch Trico. Often he sees things you don't.

2. Use the L button from time to time if you're sitting on Trico and are having problems adjusting the camera.

3.. Don't spam commands. Wait for the reaction.

These will work better once you get to a certain point in the game:

R+ analog stick = direction. Works with jumps and diving, too. Just use your camera and point upwards/forwards/downwards

R+Circle = specific actions like using
switches

R+square = attack/push

R+X = cancel current move. Don't use unless you need it. You'll confuse him otherwise.

R+triangle = jump. I think just pointing in a direction works better in most cases.

I have to object to the no spam advice. I've had several moments where spamming was the only way to get Trico to do simple stuff. Just spent probably 20 minutes in a simple cave with a very visible opening for Trico to jump through. Tried waiting, tried reloading, wasn't until I spammed the jump command hard he decided to even acknowledge my presence.

I get how this game is supposed to work. But I think I'm one of the unlucky ones who get served all the bugs and flaws in this game one after another.

Generally I spend up to 30 minutes in many areas where I know what I should do, but Trico simply refuses, until for some reason he doesn't.

It's making it impossible for me to make a connection with the creature, since I want to slap it awake most of the time.

I'm pretty upset about it. Cause I've been waiting a long time for this game, and when it all works, it's brilliant.

Sadly for me, for the most part the game is completely broken.

That's really strange, yeah. Sounds painful. I stand by my recommendation that just standing on its back and commanding the direction once or twice should be enough most of the time (not standing on the head worked best for me).

So odd to read complaints about the AI. I think I counted 2-3 times in my entire playthrough where Trico did something I didn't want him to do.

In fact, I felt like many of the commands were sort of pointless because Trico almost always automatically did what he was supposed to do without my commands. I felt like the command mechanics actually could have been used more often as a requirement to progress.

WITHE1982

I really don't know what to suggest as I never experienced more than 1 or 2 issues during my entire play-through.

If there's a direction you want Trico to go I generally just run that direction myself and hit R1 and he comes toddling after me.

If it's a place I cannot reach then just jumping on Trico's back saw him head in the right direction on his own most of the time. If that didn't happen then pointing the camera the correct way then an R1 followed by either R1+Direction or R1+triangle once was normally enough to get him heading off the right way.

Also remember lots of praising R1+O and lots of petting O is essential...
it honestly does nothing that I know of but I feel better knowing everyone is giving Trico some love.

Mets39

Finished it a couple of hours ago
(ending spoilers, beware)

This may be the most intense experience i've ever had in any medium! I feel so devastated. Didn't see that coming at all! My poor Trico had to suffer so i could live :( I will never forget the look in her eyes, I was in tears during the whole ending and i still tear up thinking about it;
Such an amazing game! I can't compare it to any other, or at least i can't think of any! Ueda proved once again he is a genius and i hope he'll keep making video games.

WITHE1982

This may be the most intense experience i've ever had in any medium! I feel so devastated. Didn't see that coming at all! My poor Trico had to suffer so i could live :( I will never forget the look in her eyes, I was in tears during the whole ending and i still tear up thinking about it;
Such an amazing game! I can't compare it to any other, or at least i can't think of any! Ueda proved once again he is a genius and i hope he'll keep making video games.

Did you watch 'til the end of the credits?
It's heartbreaking but at least he's not alone.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have to object to the no spam advice. I've had several moments where spamming was the only way to get Trico to do simple stuff. Just spent probably 20 minutes in a simple cave with a very visible opening for Trico to jump through. Tried waiting, tried reloading, wasn't until I spammed the jump command hard he decided to even acknowledge my presence.

I get how this game is supposed to work. But I think I'm one of the unlucky ones who get served all the bugs and flaws in this game one after another.

Generally I spend up to 30 minutes in many areas where I know what I should do, but Trico simply refuses, until for some reason he doesn't.

It's making it impossible for me to make a connection with the creature, since I want to slap it awake most of the time.

I'm pretty upset about it. Cause I've been waiting a long time for this game, and when it all works, it's brilliant.

Don't spam controls. Its only working by sheer luck if anything. Many times Trico will even give you several vocal cues and its body language will even reflect its state of confusion when you do this. It can take Trico some time to respond, especially if its a different part of the area than you need or its distracted by something.

ChuckNyce

I feel your pain though this was the first and really only section I felt truly "stuck" on because Trico wouldn't react properly. I managed to get past it somehow, but hitting snags like this one really mess up the flow of the game for me. Even though I made it past that part it was just frustrating enough to take a break from the game. Will definitely come back to it because it's fantastic otherwise but you've got to be in a specific mood for it.

Picked up where I left off yesterday with that pain in the ass section, everything fell into place almost instantly and I got out no sweat. Was rewarded with another breathtaking set-piece shortly after for my troubles.
The collapsing bridge. Trico is the best.

Little help needed again, this time for something optional I think.
There's a headless statue with a pink aura glowing from it. Behind I can see a barrel. Anyway to get to it? I motioned to to Trico to smash it up but he's having none of it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Well the game definitely does have framerate issues and Trico himself can be a bit frustrating at times, definitely a unique experience but it does have some issues, mainly with Trico just not knowing what to do occasionally.

Some of us are playing on a Pro, no performance issues whatsoever.

Never had issues with Trico's AI. Im not saying theres no bugs but Ive read many times where people aren't doing the right thing or issuing the right command but are quick to claim the AI is broken. Trico doesnt hold you back, he shows you where to go.

People get stuck > assume the game is broken > Tell everyone the game is broken > people read it make up their minds that the game must be broken > play the game with that same mindset.

void666

Banned
A couple of times near the end i asked trico to go forward but instead he turned around and went the way we came from. That's the amount of issues i had with trico. Solved all puzzles without hassle.

To me trico is both amazing and disappointing. The way it looks, the animations, the body language, sounds, its feathers, it is incredible. But its AI is not very believable. You can see the AI routines, the puppeteer strings. And sometimes the AI seems to be quite buggy. But despite its flaws i enjoyed our time together.

About commands, don't spam. Issue a command and wait for a reaction. You can tell by the way trico moves its head, ears or by the sound if it aknowledged the command.
Sometimes it needs to be in the right spot to perform the next action. And remember trico can't teleport or clip through geometry. It needs to navigate through the environment. Sometimes pathfinding takes time.

I really enjoyed the game but it's hard to recommend it because i hated the controls and the camera. Performance is real bad too even on pro. If you have high tolerance to jankiness, go for it. It's a great experience.

ChuckNyce

Some of us are playing on a Pro, no performance issues whatsoever.

Never had issues with Trico's AI. Im not saying theres no bugs but Ive read many times where people aren't doing the right thing or issuing the right command but are quick to claim the AI is broken. Trico doesnt hold you back, he shows you where to go.

People get stuck > assume the game is broken > Tell everyone the game is broken > people read it make up their minds that the game must be broken > play the game with that same mindset.

To be fair, there are still performance issues even on the Pro (if playing in 4k mode at least).

I'd agree that I don't think the AI is "broken" but it certainly can be frustrating and thus can put people off of the game if they just don't have the patience for it. I don't necessarily think it's always an issue of the person not knowing how to command Trico though. I'd certainly agree that more often than not Trico will point you in the direction of the solution or proper pathway. BUT that doesn't mean the game is devoid of annoying sections in which he doesn't behave the way you want him to. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had pretty much no problems with Trico for more than half of the game, until I came to a particularly annoying underwater section. I wasn't spamming commands or ignoring his cues, and when I did finally get him to do what he was supposed to do I didn't recollect doing anything differently than what I'd already tried several times previously. That alone wouldn't warrant me to label the AI as "broken" but it was certainly frustrating.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just got to the part where
The evil Trico went away and I'm trapped in the cage.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long is left? Trying to decide whether or not I'll finish it this afternoon.

cm osi

I just got to the part where
The evil Trico went away and I'm trapped in the cage.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long is left? Trying to decide whether or not I'll finish it this afternoon.

i'd say you're halfway through the game? 65-70% maybe

my opinion on the AI is that making it more automatic and less interactive would have made less impact, making trico like some sort of robot. yes sometimes he doesn't answer immediately, sometimes he looks around when you call him but i felt this add to make it believable

Picked up where I left off yesterday with that pain in the ass section, everything fell into place almost instantly and I got out no sweat. Was rewarded with another breathtaking set-piece shortly after for my troubles.
The collapsing bridge. Trico is the best.

Little help needed again, this time for something optional I think.
There's a headless statue with a pink aura glowing from it. Behind I can see a barrel. Anyway to get to it? I motioned to to Trico to smash it up but he's having none of it.

You can find heads to place on those statues - once you deal with them after they come to life, you can get those barrels.

This question constitutes basically half the posts in the thread. What an odd thing.

This game has some of the best environmental puzzles of any game I've played. They're not "hard" but they're so seamlessly integrated into the game world and make the absolute most of the simple mechanics that they hardly ever feel forced and almost always clever, satisfying, and logical.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This game has some of the best environmental puzzles of any game I've played. They're not "hard" but they're so seamlessly integrated into the game world and make the absolute most of the simple mechanics that they hardly ever feel forced and almost always clever, satisfying, and logical.

I usually dont like puzzle games because they can get pretty obtuse but the puzzles in this game are perfect. You look at the environment, what Trico is focusing on, and it almost always gives you an idea of what to do.

Go_Ly_Dow

Anyone know a site where I could find a English text script for the game? I'm playing the Japanese version and there's A LOT more dialogue than I anticipated.

hampig

Am I the only one here who was extremely disappointed by the ending?

The part at the top of the tower started, and I was ready to be blown away, and started to get choked up. I ran to Trico to try and help, pulled on the tails of the other beasts, jumped and climbed all over them, only to be ignored. 20 minutes go by and I still don't get what I'm supposed to do to get the animals off Trico. Turns out I have to run the opposite direction to grab a mirror that I didn't realize was laying there. So now the magic is gone and the tension is ruined. That sort of set the tone for the rest for me honestly.

Also, when the boy was in the village. Is it so hard to say "stop, he's my friend"? He could point and tell Trico to leave, but never thought to try to get the people to stop?

A-V-B

The part at the top of the tower started, and I was ready to be blown away, and started to get choked up. I ran to Trico to try and help, pulled on the tails of the other beasts, jumped and climbed all over them, only to be ignored. 20 minutes go by and I still don't get what I'm supposed to do to get the animals off Trico. Turns out I have to run the opposite direction to grab a mirror that I didn't realize was laying there. So now the magic is gone and the tension is ruined. That sort of set the tone for the rest for me honestly.
The mirror rolled off to the side in the cutscene, which was a signal to tell you to go and get it back. I don't know... why you thought you could pull a gang of fully-grown dog-dragons off of Trico? The first battle between Trico and his counterpart should've taught you it was impossible.

hampig

The mirror rolled off to the side in the cutscene, which was a signal to tell you to go and get it back. I don't know... why you thought you could pull a gang of fully-grown dog-dragons off of Trico? The first battle between Trico and his counterpart should've taught you it was impossible.

I didn't notice it. Just watched it again and I still feel it's not extremely clear, you can't clearly see the mirror from the position you start in either.

The reason I thought that would work, was because how reliant being in the right spot to trigger something happening the entire game had been so far. Watch any number of Let's Plays. Many did the same. I assumed I just had to trigger something and then the game would move forward.

I was having such a smooth ride with this game until it hit me with back to back frustrations where I almost had to stop playing.

getting trico to dive in the water cave and then try to get the cage to move into the right spot

Hope it's not as frustrating going forward. I don't want to give up being so close to what I assume is close to the end

hampig

I was having such a smooth ride with this game until it hit me with back to back frustrations where I almost had to stop playing.

getting trico to dive in the water cave and then try to get the cage to move into the right spot

Hope it's not as frustrating going forward. I don't want to give up being so close to what I assume is close to the end

I would say you have maybe
hours left? What cage are you talking about though?

Kyrios

So how far am I?

I stopped at the part where you encounter the other Trico and he causes you to fall into a building where the kid is caught on a tree branch

Mets39

Also, when the boy was in the village. Is it so hard to say "stop, he's my friend"? He could point and tell Trico to leave, but never thought to try to get the people to stop?

To each his own i guess :p But as far as i'm concerned, it's arguably one of the best video game ending ever!

For me, it was pretty clear that you had to get the shield back. I mean it's not like the boy could single-handedly beat all those beasts by himself ;p It's precisely this feeling of helplessness that make the ending so powerful imo. You desperately want to help Trico and yet she's being tortured right in front of you! And that's even worse in the village! The fact that she had the strength to get you back there is incredible and yet again she was assaulted! It was a genius move to give you back control here! I was mashing my controller at that point! Don't hurt her anymore, she had suffer enough :( I think it was very powerful and masterfully done

Bronetta

Sorry but this ones on you.
The moment the kid got smacked it was obvious you had to grab the mirror back.

Additionally, the kid was on deaths doorstep at the end. When the elder is carrying you away you can try calling Trico and the boy lets out a faint whimper calling out for Trico

As with most complaints Ive heard about this game, this is another case of the player failing to understand what to do or what happened and then blaming the game.

Very divisive game. Some get it, some don't.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Right, just finished it, played the second half of the game without pause because I couldn't stop, broke off my plans for the evening too. I say this as someone that thinks Ico and SotC are two of the best games of all time: The Last Guardian is far better than either of them and is now sitting pretty with Kotor and RE4 as one of my favorite games of all time.

I don't think I have ever been as invested in the events of a game/film as I was with TLG. During that
final attack on Trico I was legitimately distressed, I just knew the ending was going to destroy me. I was relieved like you wouldn't believe when it didn't. That ending was absolutely perfect
. I will be saying nice things about TLG for years (maybe decades) to come, but I think the biggest compliment I can pay it is this: It was worth the wait.

hampig

Additionally, the kid was on deaths doorstep at the end. When the elder is carrying you away you can try calling Trico and the boy lets out a faint whimper calling out for Trico

As with most complaints Ive heard about this game, this is another case of the player failing to understand what to do or what happened and then blaming the game.

You can
d
uck right off trying to dismiss my opinion. If that many people are having issues, it's not the players.

I got the game just fine, it's just not as good as I'd hoped it would be. The game's bad at guiding the player the entire way through and that's compounded by the occasional Trico not listening to you.

I'm glad people like it, I hope it's wildly successful, but I was left with a feeling of disappointment. The reviews reflect the game very well I'd say. It's not that some people get it and some don't, it's that the game is just wildly inconsistent. Some people will have a flawless play-through and experience all the best and none of the worst, and some people will struggle through it's problems.

It's hard to deny that the game is special, and unlike anything out there, but it's impossible to deny that it has problems.

Bronetta

You can
d
uck right off trying to dismiss my opinion. If that many people are having issues, it's not the players.

I got the game just fine, it's just not as good as I'd hoped it would be. The game's bad at guiding the player the entire way through and that's compounded by the occasional Trico not listening to you.

Everyones entitled to their opinion. If I was trying to dismiss your opinion I wouldnt bother addressing your two main concerns with the finale.

Markitron

You can
d

I'm glad people like it, I hope it's wildly successful, but I was left with a feeling of disappointment. The reviews reflect the game very well I'd say. It's not that some people get it and some don't, it's that the game is just wildly inconsistent. Some people will have a flawless play-through and experience all the best and none of the worst, and some people will struggle through it's problems.

It's hard to deny that the game is special, and unlike anything out there, but it's impossible to deny that it has problems.

IMO the game made it pretty obvious that you were supposed to use
the mirror, considering how extensively you had been using it in the preceding 15 mins or so. When I realised I didn't have it, the first thing I did was to go searching for it.
. Tbh I never had any problems with the controls either, except for 2 occasions where Trico just would not do what I wanted him to.

balohna

Lol this tone is ridiculous. It's valid for people to fault the game for being unclear. My GOTY, but it's honestly shitty at teaching a bunch of things.

Foxxsoxx

Just finished the game, beat it all in one go. Definitely wasn't expecting a 10 or so hour sitting.

The game definitely gave me some feels and parts of it felt absolutely genius and just clicked but there are some parts that were frustrating. The biggest gripe I have is climbing Trico can be needlessly difficult as you get stuck on certain parts of him without easy transition.

As for player control, you get to be able to command Trico what to do but only jumping is really used. The other commands are used maybe
twice in the whole game which was disappointing.

Also as much as I enjoyed the game, some of the framerate dips seemed to make no sense, going into the single digits for multiple seconds in some of the spots right near the end with hardly anything happening.
Simply standing on the ivory tower at any point tanked my perfomance into the 20s which was a huge shame because the game looks phenominal when it's running at 30fps

Everyones entitled to their opinion. If I was trying to dismiss your opinion I wouldnt bother addressing your two main concerns with the finale.
Dismissive isn't the word that comes to mind when I read your response. Rather, it read more defensive as if the game is impervious to criticism and that of course it's the dumb players for not understanding or recognizing its brilliance. I mean, come on.

hampig

You addressed them by saying I didn't "get it." Really though it doesn't matter, I've said my bit and I'm not trying to convince anybody to not like it or anything, I just wanted to voice my disappointment.

I still think it was an excellent experience and I'm really happy to have played it, but I wish it was better at a few key things.

Top Bottom