• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Jennipeg

For some silly reason I though this game would be relaxing. I haven't been this stressed with a game since the Last of Us. I can't stand Trico being upset and those 'enemies' freak me out. I don't like being away from Trico because he doesn't like it. I'm too invested.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
For some silly reason I though this game would be relaxing. I haven't been this stressed with a game since the Last of Us. I can't stand Trico being upset and those 'enemies' freak me out. I don't like being away from Trico because he doesn't like it. I'm too invested.

Is this your first Ueda game? :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
lol, no I played SoTC, but I spent so much time chasing lizards that I had long breaks between the sections of depression and peril. This is just constant.

Stay strong!

Prototype

The game was little more than Ico with an animal. And it didn't even have the cool lore and world building that Ico had. Very disappointed, it's crazy some people are calling this goty lol. The game doesn't come close to SotC.
After playing TLG, I went back via PSnow to replay the other games. They are both mich better, except graphically of course, but everything else is more original, and has more powerful themes.
After all these years I was really hoping that it wouldn't just be Ico with an animal, and yet, that is all that it is.

davitpr

The game was little more than Ico with an animal. And it didn't even have the cool lore and world building that Ico had. Very disappointed, it's crazy some people are calling this goty lol. The game doesn't come close to SotC.
After playing TLG, I went back via PSnow to replay the other games. They are both mich better, except graphically of course, but everything else is more original, and has more powerful themes.
After all these years I was really hoping that it wouldn't just be Ico with an animal, and yet, that is all that it is.

No

Even if I disagree with all you said – the bolded parts I disagree with the most. :D Some deep lore discussions to be had with TLG.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'll try my best, he's just so realistic! I have a pet cockatiel (or fake parrot as I like to call him) and I noticed the other day how much Trico's feathers look like his when he fluffs himself up. That just made it worse lol.

As I mentioned in my post earlier, this game stressed me out more than any other. It's worth it though.

SirNinja

lol, no I played SoTC, but I spent so much time chasing lizards that I had long breaks between the sections of depression and peril. This is just constant.

The game is much more in line with Ico in that respect. In that game, you couldn't leave Yorda alone for long or some shadow figures would eventually emerge from the floor and drag her under, which is Game Over. Thing is, there were parts where you'd have to leave Yorda for a while, so that you could open up the way forward. There were a few times where I nearly finished the puzzle but heard some shadows on approach and started to panic. Had some really close calls on my first playthrough where I just barely saved her.

Basically, my point is that the freaky enemies and constant need to be on alert is very much an Ico holdover, not a SotC one. By design, Shadow's world is a much more peaceful one, to provide as big a contrast as possible when you finally find a colossus and the bombastic score kicks in.

Jennipeg

The game is much more in line with Ico in that respect. In that game, you couldn't leave Yorda alone for long or some shadow figures would eventually emerge from the floor and drag her under, which is Game Over. Thing is, there were parts where you'd have to leave Yorda for a while, so that you could open up the way forward. There were a few times where I nearly finished the puzzle but heard some shadows on approach and started to panic. Had some really close calls on my first playthrough where I just barely saved her.

Basically, my point is that the freaky enemies and constant need to be on alert is very much an Ico holdover, not a SotC one. By design, Shadow's world is a much more peaceful one, to provide as big a contrast as possible when you finally find a colossus and the bombastic score kicks in.

Yes that is exactly it, at least Trico (so far) can look after himself, it's me that's getting into trouble. I do have some satisfaction in seeing Trico demolish those things.

I think I actually did play Ico, I was 15 at the time and only really played JRPG's, someone at GAME recommended it to me, I tried it and very quickly went 'nope!' for this very reason. It's funny how all these years later I feel just the same, except this time I will get a grip and finish it.

ICO_SotC

Finally got the Platinum on my 5th play through. The *one* hint I missed was the second hint that pops up when you get to the master *before* you raise your shield.

However there are still some things I ran into on every play through that maybe the "The game is perfect you're just doing it wrong" people can help me with.

1. Trying to climb down from Trico's neck, only to find that no matter what direction I push the analogue stick it will only make the boy climb up to Trico's head. Up makes him climb up as expected, but so does pressing down. I will swing the camera around to see if that fixes it, but no. Is there a better way to get down in these situations than to awkwardly release, jump, and hope for the best?

2. Using the shield while in Trico's back which is required a bit late in the game. As far as I can tell, you are supposed the button to release the boy from Trico, press on the directional pad to take out the shield, and the hold the button to use the shield. However, almost without fail, just taking the shield out becomes a major struggle, sometimes having to hit the directional button 2-3 times just to get it out. Then I finally get it out, only to have him pet Trico instead of using the shield when I hit the "O" button. Is there a consistent way to do this?

3. On the other hand, when I'm on foot, the boy will randomly pull the shield even if I don't hit the button. This happens a lot and I can't figure out why. I thought maybe I was grazing the d-pad while I was using the analogue stick, but I can't recreate it when I intentionally try to. It just seems to be random?

4. Trying to grab something by my feet, only to have the boy run several feet away to grab something else. What am I doing wrong here?

I'll try my best, he's just so realistic! I have a pet cockatiel (or fake parrot as I like to call him) and I noticed the other day how much Trico's feathers look like his when he fluffs himself up. That just made it worse lol.

It's incredible how much of our pets are reflected on Toriko, I'm way more sensitive towards my dog since I finished the game, he must be thinking I'm crazy haha.

Markitron

Finally got the Platinum on my 5th play through.

Seen as how this is the OT and not the spoiler thread, you might want to use spoiler tags at the beginning of your post there. Also I don't think anyone thinks the controls are perfect, just that the common complaints all have workarounds to some extent.

tassletine

You can
d
uck right off trying to dismiss my opinion. If that many people are having issues, it's not the players.

I got the game just fine, it's just not as good as I'd hoped it would be. The game's bad at guiding the player the entire way through and that's compounded by the occasional Trico not listening to you.

I'm glad people like it, I hope it's wildly successful, but I was left with a feeling of disappointment. The reviews reflect the game very well I'd say. It's not that some people get it and some don't, it's that the game is just wildly inconsistent. Some people will have a flawless play-through and experience all the best and none of the worst, and some people will struggle through it's problems.

It's hard to deny that the game is special, and unlike anything out there, but it's impossible to deny that it has problems.

There are problems with the game -- in my opinion more than made up for, and consistent with most AAA games in terms of bugs. This game is unfairly criticised for this, probably because it's the only thing that's really wrong with it.

Having said that, your post was with the ending and that is definitely your problem as everything is signposted.

The game is realistic in terms of real world physics so what made you think that you could take on all those Trico's? A weapon gets knocked out of your hand and you decide to pull their tails? Would you do that in real life? Doing that for twenty minutes seems like overkill especially when the mirror is sitting right there and is signposted well by glinting brightly in the sun.

The second part of your complaint (in the village) is suggested by prior scenes when the boy is unconscious and you use the controller to wake him. Even so he is practically unconscious in the cut-scene so your complaint doesn't hold water there either.

It's really not up to the developer to cater to all audiences, as a great part of a modern audience is made up of people who can't leave their phones alone for one minute.
I'm sorry that you didn't pick up the cues but I'm presuming the developer wanted the final part of the game to feature puzzles and not just be a "quick, run there, press the red button' ending favoured by the vast majority of developers.

There are problems with the game -- in my opinion more than made up for, and consistent with most AAA games in terms of bugs. This game is unfairly criticised for this, probably because it's the only thing that's really wrong with it.

This is pretty much where I am at. I don't necessarily disagree with some of the complaints about the game. But the reason your Open World FPS Platformer Whatever video game is so goddamn polished is because people have been making those games for a very long time and learned how to solve a list of problems that would reach to the moon.

How many games are there where a giant piece of cling-able character/geometry traverses a giant physics world and is the most convincing animal companion ever in a video game?

Could they have done some things better? Totally! But the accomplishments outrun the downfalls by a country mile.

Ratrat

Lol this tone is ridiculous. It's valid for people to fault the game for being unclear. My GOTY, but it's honestly shitty at teaching a bunch of things.
There was a previous encounter with an enemy Trico that should teach you that pulling on them would accomplish nothing. The game specifically shows the mirror roll away....
But lets just waste 20 minutes trying to stop the Tricos with the boys non existent combat skills! Worked well last time!
There are valid criticisms but that one is silly.
Its like five feet away from them...shining brightly.

Lol this tone is ridiculous. It's valid for people to fault the game for being unclear. My GOTY, but it's honestly shitty at teaching a bunch of things.

Honestly, I have terrible attention span that even my manager constantly nags me for being distracted by my mobile device and I was able to pick up every single element of what to do in The Last Guardian.

Maybe I'm used to games that don't hand-hold like pretty much all of the titles here today which I why understood what the game was trying to tell me each time.

If there are issues in this game, it's not this.

Persona7

Banned
I just beat the game earlier and this is misinformation as well as a load of bullshit.

I've read dozens of complaints about the AI, controls and technical issues so it's not just me. Either you are choosing to ignore these issues or you didn't play the game.

chekhonte

Ug, bought this game a week ago but I'm holding off until my projector and screen get here and the wait is killing me! I also can't wait until I can play the ico/sotc collection in 3d.

So I seem to be stuck and unsure if it's a glitch or I'm doing something wrong.

I'm at the point where I'm in the first room where I have to make Trico dive. I have already swam through and pulled the lever to raise the gate. I can get Trico to dive down without much issue, but Trico seems get stuck swimming into the entrance/ not swim low enough to get through the hole in the wall to get to the next area. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Never mind Trico finally went through, have no idea why he didn't go through the first 15 times, but he finally did.

I've been fortunate to spend more time with this game the last few days and I have to say I'm extremely blown away, despite still not finding the time to finish it. This is going to sound strange but one thing that really caught me off guard was how my own cat behaved when he saw Trico today. He's a bit scared of other animals and usually hides up when we're watching a nature documentary or something as soon as he see's or hears a big cat etc, but he watched Trico for about half an hour despite being pretty jumpy at first and really intently studying him too. For the last 10 minutes of it he was sitting in front of the TV instead of hiding up.

Me and my fiance are currently trying to work out if the A.I. convinced our cat it's friendly. It was really strange to watch considering he never usually reacts to animals in games either. Kudos Ueda, you completely fooled my moggy it seems.

I played Ico and Shadow very soon after their respective releases, adored them, and have replayed them many times over the years. I didn't have any particularly strong expectations one way or the other for The Last Guardian, simply because it had been so long, and there was so much uncertainty surrounding it. I went in with an open mind, hoping for the best.

Up until just after
you escape the cage
, I found myself hating just as much as I was loving it. I expected to breeze through it in a couple of sittings, but instead played in 1-2 hour chunks over a week or so. Every time I stopped a play session, it was out of frustration with some aspects of the game. Getting past the
cage escape and subsequent flashback (getting Trico-napped from the village)
was the point where it finally all fell into place and firing on all cylinders for me. From then on, for the rest of the game, I was totally in love again - but still with some of the annoyances. Overall, though, the game redeemed itself, and then some.

The camera in TLG is just plain fucking bad, as is the movement system of the boy. Those two aspects alone caused me to put the game down every single time I did, until I completed it. That said, I appreciate how incredibly difficult it must have been to create a camera system able to work in primarily tight quarters around a giant, autonomous, physics-driven animal that you can crawl all over and can be anywhere. After seeing the technical marvel that is Trico in that game world, I don't begrudge the engineers who were tasked with that. The movement problem is less understandable, mostly due to there being no middle ground between hauling ass wildly, and glacially tiptoeing. I'm sure these points have been belabored enough, though, so I'll just leave it at that.

What I didn't have much of an issue with was dealing with Trico. For as amazing a job as they did on making him seem incredibly real, you only need to pay a little attention to him to pick out his A.I. states, and from there just act accordingly to get what you want. Even knowing that, though, he's still incredibly impressive and really fun to be with.

After all that, it's still, indeed, an Ueda game, and a gorgeous one. It has some higher highs than Ico and Shadow, but some abysmal new lows. Early on, I was adamant that it was the worst of the 'trilogy', but after finishing it, I regard them all as equals.

Does anyone else ever experience moments where you enter a room via an entrance way too small for Trico and then when you turn around he's right there with you? I'm seriously thinking it may be glitches because it's happened multiple times and I've looked high and low and there's just no possible way he could have entered the area.

Toth

Those portions where you are jumping toward the eye hundreds of feet off the ground or tightwalking UP a long wire to another tower o_O Sweaty palms!

But god damn Trico is so cute. I pet him extensively every time he saves my life haha

Just finished the game. LOVED it! Went in with tempered expectations after such a long development cycle (we saw what happened to FFXV) but man Fumito Ueda and all of Japan Studio deserves the highest of credit.

In my book this game stands right alongside Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in terms of quality (I have to admit I never finished Ico but SotC is one of my favorites).

balohna

There was a previous encounter with an enemy Trico that should teach you that pulling on them would accomplish nothing. The game specifically shows the mirror roll away....
But lets just waste 20 minutes trying to stop the Tricos with the boys non existent combat skills! Worked well last time!
There are valid criticisms but that one is silly.
Its like five feet away from them...shining brightly.

Honestly, I have terrible attention span that even my manager constantly nags me for being distracted by my mobile device and I was able to pick up every single element of what to do in The Last Guardian.

Maybe I'm used to games that don't hand-hold like pretty much all of the titles here today which I why understood what the game was trying to tell me each time.

If there are issues in this game, it's not this.

I personally figured out the end fine, but for stuck on dumb stuff a couple times. The game tells you basic controls over and over but gives you a shitty (but existent, just shitty) prompt about commands. Some people will get it, and it sounds like a lot of people also don't get it right away. There are ways this could have been taught better without beating players over the head. Like, teach each command once in a situation where it's clear you have to do it. Then never mention it again.

I didn't notice it. Just watched it again and I still feel it's not extremely clear, you can't clearly see the mirror from the position you start in either.

The reason I thought that would work, was because how reliant being in the right spot to trigger something happening the entire game had been so far. Watch any number of Let's Plays. Many did the same. I assumed I just had to trigger something and then the game would move forward.

It was so very clear to me what you had to do at that point. No way was I going to do what you did because it was clearly futile. This was obvious when
one the Tricos swiped at you, and of course in the beginning of the game when you couldn't get near trico at all

The boy is repeatedly made to look really clumsy and weak... outside of his incredible grip strength lol.

You were also
using the shield fairly often before all this, and anytime you have the shield, you are using it. This is why it disappears for most of the middle of the game.

As soon as that part started, I knew what I had to do because I felt very conditioned to
rely on
it. This is beside the fact that the cutscene made it obvious, I think, as well as the actual gameplay since
the shield shines

Its too bad some people miss this and have it ruin the game, but I really dont think there needed to be more to make it obvious. Maybe they could have done a voice over to hint at it since they do use the voice over for much lesser reasons.

The boy is often described as weak and clumsy...but I find him rather resourceful and brave for a little kid. He still feels like a child but I really can picture him as a super energetic child in his daily life.

silva1991

The boy is often described as weak and clumsy...but I find him rather resourceful and brave for a little kid. He still feels like a child but I really can picture him as a super energetic child in his daily life.

That child have the biggest balls ever tho.

TLG3.jpg

lol I wouldn't do that even is someone offered me ton of money.

Ludens

Banned
I managed to pass that bug I triggered yesterday.
Great game, but HORRIBLE AI and controls.
I got stuck several times because Trico wouldn't follow my orders (like in the two towers sections, I told him to jump on the ledge nearby, but it went back and jumped to the other tower...my game was plenty of this moments. Make Trico swim underwater was a nightmare, luckily you need to do this only twice and no, I understood how controls work).

Plus I think the game should be shorter, in too sections if feels like you are doing the same thing again and again.

I hope Ueda's team will manage to fix controls and AI issues (plus framerate, in the E3 sequence the game pretty much DIED on my vanilla PS4, like single digit framerate), if they do so the game could be amazing.

Sadly I think it sold pretty much nothing, after 9 days the title was almost 50% off from Gamestop.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
This is the worst game to play when in a bad mood

Fucking hell the AI and controls are just so shit. I love the atmosphere, music, sound, design and the premise, but having trico take 30 seconds - 3 minutes to do anything in basically a platforming escort mission is awful

I get that this is a major complaint and already been discussed, but when something you'e doing half the time doesnt function on a technical level, how can it be considered good

Was hoping for a follow up to ico and shadow of the colossus. But this feels like they really wanted to create the most advanced ai ever, couldnt, but still released it.

Happy for those who are having no technical issues and are loving it. But im about an hour from the ending i believe and trading it in once im done. Im getting ai glitches and falling through platforms and having trico just not respond to commands, even when i follow all advance/use different commands or spam them.

EDIT: Trying to roll in this fucking cage is unofrgiving. Im so close to being done with this game

Fucking hell the AI and controls are just so shit. I love the atmosphere, music, sound, design and the premise, but having trico take 30 seconds - 3 minutes to do anything in basically a platforming escort mission is awful

I get that this is a major complaint and already been discussed, but when something you'e doing half the time doesnt function on a technical level, how can it be considered good

Was hoping for a follow up to ico and shadow of the colossus. But this feels like they really wanted to create the most advanced ai ever, couldnt, but still released it.

Happy for those who are having no technical issues and are loving it. But im about an hour from the ending i believe and trading it in once im done. Im getting ai glitches and falling through platforms and having trico just not respond to commands, even when i follow all advance/use different commands or spam them.

EDIT: Trying to roll in this fucking cage is unofrgiving. Im so close to being done with this game

If you are in the cage part you're far from an hour from the end.

I remember people being surprised by the TGS 2010 ps3 trailer and the joyful music used, Ueda games being rather melancholic to say the least. Ueda stated that he didn't want the game to be perceived as "sad", so that's why this trailer was rather upbeat.
But yeah, the final game is really tense with a lot of stressful moments. For me it really helps building the relation between the boy and Trico, it really is "both of us in the face of adveristy". And everytime we help each others I feel super moved.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You are like 4 to 5 hours from the end.

Ended up giving this game GOTY. I was always looking forward to the game, but I ended up being surprised just how good the game was. Masterful fusion of gameplay and narrative that almost never calls attention to itself, and works in perfect harmony. I hope Druckmann plays this game because there are still lessons he has left to learn from Ueda (specifically in craftering more clever and unobtrusive environmental puzzles, and more gameplay interactions with your AI companions that deepen your relationship with them and the story without it feeling like a burden).

knitoe

I was so hype for this game. Bought the collector's edition. Finished the game on the Pro 1080p and would give it a 6/10. Without the shitty controls and dumb AI, possibly 7-8. Way too many pull the lever puzzle for my taste. Coming from PC 4K @ 60fps max settings, graphics didn't do anything for me. Can see how it originally started on the PS3. As for the characters, I could't care and/or get attache to them due to the issues everyone has mentions.

ArchAngel

I hope Druckmann plays this game because there are still lessons he has left to learn from Ueda (specifically in craftering more clever and unobtrusive environmental puzzles, and more gameplay interactions with your AI companions that deepen your relationship with them and the story without it feeling like a burden).

JhR3Wbe.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was so hype for this game. Bought the collector's edition. Finished the game on the Pro 1080p and would give it a 6/10. Without the shitty controls and dumb AI, possibly 7-8. Way too many pull the level puzzle for my test. Coming from PC 4K @ 60fps max settings, graphics didn't do anything for me. Can see how it originally started on the PS3. As for the characters, I could't care and/or get attache to them due to the issues everyone has mentions.

I think you missed the point it was often reaching said lever that was the puzzle. The lever was the reward.

hampig

I would dare say your opinion is wrong. The game has bigger problems than most big games outside of something that comes from Bethesda. If you were arguing other games with similar problems should be more criticized for their problems though, I would agree.

Having said that, your post was with the ending and that is definitely your problem as everything is signposted.

The game is realistic in terms of real world physics so what made you think that you could take on all those Trico's? A weapon gets knocked out of your hand and you decide to pull their tails? Would you do that in real life? Doing that for twenty minutes seems like overkill especially when the mirror is sitting right there and is signposted well by glinting brightly in the sun.
I explained this already. The game had shown me time and time again that to make progress in some areas you just needed to do the right thing in the right place. As I also already said, you can watch the ending on youtube and see several others make this same mistake.

The second part of your complaint (in the village) is suggested by prior scenes when the boy is unconscious and you use the controller to wake him. Even so he is practically unconscious in the cut-scene so your complaint doesn't hold water there either.
He's able to point and command the beast to leave, but he can't mutter "he's my friend" or "beast saved me" to the person who has two ears like, one foot from his mouth?

It's really not up to the developer to cater to all audiences, as a great part of a modern audience is made up of people who can't leave their phones alone for one minute.
I'm sorry that you didn't pick up the cues but I'm presuming the developer wanted the final part of the game to feature puzzles and not just be a "quick, run there, press the red button' ending favoured by the vast majority of developers.
It's up to the developer to design their game in a way that accommodates the player. They don't have to hold your hand, but if they want big cinematic moments to have impact, they should consider all possibilities.

I liked the game and have said so several times, I don't get why there are a few people so resistant to believe the game may not be perfect.

I think the devs should have cut out about 30-40% of the content, focused on polishing what they had, and the game would have been so much better.

You can
d
uck right off trying to dismiss my opinion. If that many people are having issues, it's not the players.

I got the game just fine, it's just not as good as I'd hoped it would be. The game's bad at guiding the player the entire way through and that's compounded by the occasional Trico not listening to you.

I'm glad people like it, I hope it's wildly successful, but I was left with a feeling of disappointment. The reviews reflect the game very well I'd say. It's not that some people get it and some don't, it's that the game is just wildly inconsistent. Some people will have a flawless play-through and experience all the best and none of the worst, and some people will struggle through it's problems.

It's hard to deny that the game is special, and unlike anything out there, but it's impossible to deny that it has problems.

I dont consider your scenario a problem, however, I think the narrator could have said something 3 min in for those confused

Since I knew what to do immediately, it wouldnt affect me but people who miss it would be able to enjoy the flow without having it stop the excitement
Im guessing playtests showed that most people got what to do too

Top Bottom