• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

sasuke_91

I think i'm stuck fam,

I just had a close encounter with
evil Trico and fell through a roof. I'm stuck in a tree and I don't know what to do. Trico tried to jump up but had to go back down. Now he is just reaching his foot out to me. Which is super cute but i'm not getting anywhere,

Also, am I imagining things, or has
Trico's horns grown?

Tell him to jump to the ledge above. You can reach out to his tail when he's above.

And no you're not imagining things. His horns are healing.

Jennipeg

Call him back up and try to reach for his tail. Also, you are not imagining his horns growing.

I don't know what to do, i'm calling him but he isn't doing anything. Sometimes he acknowledges my command but then carries on as before. I just looked up a guide and he did right away for them. But he's having non of it at the moment. Should I point the camera or use the analogue stick?

Kill3r7

I don't know what to do, i'm calling him but he isn't doing anything. Sometimes he acknowledges my command but then carries on as before. I just looked up a guide and he did right away for them. But he's having non of it at the moment. Should I point the camera or use the analogue stick?

You can try
(R1+Triangle).
If that does not help then try restarting from the last checkpoint That's the AI for you.

Jennipeg

You can try
(R1+Triangle)
. If that does not help then try restarting from the last checkpoint That's the AI for you.

I tried that once, but i'll try again. This is the only time Trico has just gone 'nope'. I don't mind other than being slightly worried I can't progress. Well I know what to do, patience is required now.

Thanks for the replies.

I tried that once, but i'll try again. This is the only time Trico has just gone 'nope'. I don't mind other than being slightly worried I can't progress. Well I know what to do, patience is required now.

Thanks for the replies.

angle the camera all the way down so you are looking up at the platform above you. R1+direction in that general direction.

Dimmle

There was one puzzle in this game that I was not on board with:

When you fall into the underground pool below the mine and have to use Trico's tail to escape. Triggering Trico to put another crack in the floor and positioning him to fish his tail through the gap felt quite arbitrary. I'm still not sure whether it's dependent on your positioning or what.

My recommendation for fully enjoying this game is not to shy away from a walkthrough if you get too stuck. In most situations I found I was actually over-thinking things and the solution was quite intuitive (this commonly happened in Ico, too) but I don't regret looking up the solution to especially obtuse puzzles such as the example above.

Jedi2016

When you fall into the underground pool below the mine and have to use Trico's tail to escape. Triggering Trico to put another crack in the floor and positioning him to fish his tail through the gap felt quite arbitrary. I'm still not sure whether it's dependent on your positioning or what.
That one wouldn't have been so bad if
there weren't so many beams and things for Trico's tail to hang up on.

Dimmle

That one wouldn't have been so bad if
there weren't so many beams and things for Trico's tail to hang up on.

It's also, if I remember correctly, one of the first places where you can dive freely, so I spent a good bit of time squinting underwater in search of an escape route or tool.

A-V-B

My recommendation for fully enjoying this game is not to shy away from a walkthrough if you get too stuck. In most situations I found I was actually over-thinking things and the solution was quite intuitive (this commonly happened in Ico, too) but I don't regret looking up the solution to especially obtuse puzzles such as the example above.

Yup. That puzzle is the only one I would've changed to be simpler. Arbitrary is a good word for that one's difficulty.

Dimmle

To be honest, though, it wouldn't be an Ueda game without a few puzzles that tempt me to quit in frustration. I'd never be able to finish one of these games in a single session because I need to walk away and cool off at least a couple times. I don't necessarily think that's a bad trait for a game to have even if that particular puzzle could have used some streamlining.

Shock32

The thing with Trico is that I sometimes forgot he's an AI. The reactions seemed so natural and everytime I gave a hint or something he immediately caught it. An exceptional piece of tech honestly.

@Ratrat: Thanks for the answer! :)

I agree 100%, his environmental awareness was impressive too. The way he navigated and was always checking things out and possible paths to choose from, above and below you.

sn00zer

I think it would be fine if they patch out the lower beam. His tail got stuck on it the first time

A-V-B

To be honest, though, it wouldn't be an Ueda game without a few puzzles that tempt me to quit in frustration. I'd never be able to finish one of these games in a single session because I need to walk away and cool off at least a couple times. I don't necessarily think that's a bad trait for a game to have even if that particular puzzle could have used some streamlining.

There were some hard puzzles for sure, but they all had natural solutions, even if you didn't think of them at first.

sasuke_91

I agree 100%, his environmental awareness was impressive too. The way he navigated and was always checking things out and possible paths to choose from, above and below you.

Sometimes I kept watching him if I didn't know how to progress. He checked stuff way more thoroughly than I did (when he wasn't distracted by something :p).

There were some hard puzzles for sure, but they all had natural solutions, even if you didn't think of them at first.

I loved how you have to use your environment in some puzzles
The puzlle in the diving part was amazing when you had to make Trico jump into the water to get carried by the waves. Definitely an "aha" moment for me

Dimmle

The
water displacement and cart launching
puzzles were my personal highlights. During both moments I actually shouted with glee.

sasuke_91

The
water displacement and cart launching
puzzles were my personal highlights. During both moments I actually shouted with glee.
In the
cart launching
scene I was like "It would be amazing if they made me do this" and what should I say? They did. I was also shouting in that moment and immediately turned to my brother and yelled "This game is amazing!". It was one of those moments that remind me why I play games.

Dimmle

In the
cart launching
scene I was like "It would be amazing if they made me do this" and what should I say? They did. I was also shouting in that moment and immediately turned to my brother and yelled "This game is amazing!". It was one of those moments that remind me why I play games.

My experience was
dragging the cart around for a good few minutes with no idea what to do with it and nearly giving up for the time being when Trico started pawing at it. When he suddenly slammed it down I thought, "no, surely not..."

Actually, yes.

sasuke_91

It's amazing when you figure that stuff out yourself, but the effect wears off if you take too long. That's why I agree with the walkthrough recommendation.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Edge Magazine just came out and their game of the year is TLG. They also rated it a 9 in the same issue.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Edge Magazine just came out and their game of the year is TLG. They also rated it a 9 in the same issue.

Edge has great taste. When everyone else was tripping over themselves to give Dragon Age Inquisition GotY, Edge gave it to Bayonetta 2 in 2014. They always make the right call.

c0Zm1c

I finished the game a couple of hours ago. All things considered it's an extraordinary game. Memorable, and emotionally exhausting. It's not hard to see why some have been calling it a masterpiece.

Jennipeg

You can try
(R1+Triangle).
If that does not help then try restarting from the last checkpoint That's the AI for you.

Thanks for the tip, when I went back to it, it worked on the first try. It's not a command I have used before, is it something to use from now on, or only when Trico is being difficult?

Magnus

I'm glad I didn't get cynical and decided to pick this up after all. Magical first hour with the game. I love Trico and interacting with it way more than I thought I would. The first item you pick up in the game was a big surprise. I didn't expect that at all.

Freeman76

Just finished it.

Fuck me!

I hated the controls and wrestled with them all the way through, as well as the camera.

Even so this is by far and away my game of the year. Absolute work of art, no game has ever evoked the feelings this game did, and I will remember this for a long time to come.

gadwn

Man, this game just got better and better The whole way through. Towards the end... Absolutely magical. Not many games or movies have made me cry, but that ending stretch, god damn.

Yes, the game has serious control and camera problems but it's still freaking amazing. No other team could have made this dream game.

Ruff

Godaaaaamn the camera in this game. If it isn't slow as fuck to react to any turn or adjustment I make making me feel somewhat dizzy (combined with the FPS that sometimes feels single digits), it is constantly fighting with me to return to position when I'm trying to look at something that isn't right ahead of me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So uh, how do I get Trico to
dive in the pool with me holding on?

R1 + O, the combination which asks Trico to perform an action. For what its worth he dived by himself when I grabbed onto him

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished my second run. I got the
intensive care trophy even though there was a spear I couldn't even pull out, during the other Trico battle.
I guess there's wiggle room there because I didn't expect to get it.

Since I'm so close to the final costume I may start a third run for a bit, but then I'm done.

I'm pretty frustrated with the commands and how the game doesn't tell you what they do. Can someone help?

R1: Call Trico over to you
R1+Triangle: Jump
R1+O: Don't know
R1+X: Sit/stay?
R1+Square: Don't know
R1+analog stick: Go in that direction?

L95

I'm pretty frustrated with the commands and how the game doesn't tell you what they do. Can someone help?

R1+Triangle: Jump
R1+O: Don't know
R1+X: Sit/stay?
R1+Square: Don't know
R1+analog stick: Go in that direction?

the instruction manual tells you, IIRC. R1+O is the context sensitive "do the thing" button, I think. R1+[] is attack. R1+X also cancels trico's current in-progress action.

the instruction manual tells you, IIRC. R1+O is the context sensitive "do the thing" button, I think. R1+[] is attack. R1+X also cancels trico's current in-progress action.

I got a European version of the game that didn't come with a manual. :/ Thanks for the help, though!

Completed this a couple of hours ago or so. I can already tell that this is a game that
will weigh heavy on my mind for a long time. Very emotional stuff.

Incidentally, TLG is the first game to enter my top ten all-time favourites list since 2003 when Max Payne 2 came out. Holy shit, that's quite a feat, speaking personally of course.

Very much agreed, that was a poorly thought out puzzle and the only time I had to resort to the internet for help,
(barring the headless suit of armour with a barrel behind it, but that was optional so surely it doesn't count lol).
I was swimming around in that place for damn near half an hour before giving up, and even when I was informed on what to do the game ended up bugging out on me anyway
(the tail wouldn't drop past the rafters).
Other than that though, my playthrough was blissfully free of frustration for the most part.
Getting Trico to dive when I wanted him to was a pain in the arse, but only required two separate occasions to execute it, and the puzzle where you have to shine the light on the black orb had me stumped for ages before I eventually figured it out by myself.
Other than that, the puzzles felt very natural and Trico was responsive to my directions. It wasn't like I was in any kind of rush anyway; it's just not that kind of game. I was happy to take my time and so was Trico, so it was a partnership that worked out well in the end!

Jennipeg

I think for me, the only truly annoying 'puzzles' involve
throwing the barrels
. They can GTFO. Other than my issue getting Trico to jump (which was my fault because I didn't know there was a command for that) i've been lucky and Trico has been really responsive. He tells me what to do sometimes.

silva1991

Glad you loved it Acquiescence!

I think for me, the only truly annoying 'puzzles' involve
throwing the barrels
. They can GTFO. Other than my issue getting Trico to jump (which was my fault because I didn't know there was a command for that) i've been lucky and Trico has been really responsive. He tells me what to do sometimes.
Throwing barrels got nothing on controlling that shitty cage. Now that was really bad. cool idea, but the controls are 1000x times worse than ordering Trico.

HStallion

The game is already £25 new on Amazon UK. Must be a bomba.

It actually held its price for a fairly long time. I don't think it dropped till around New Years so it was nearly full price for a month. When games are dropping the next week that's not too bad all things considered.

Jennipeg

Throwing barrels got nothing on controlling that shitty cage. Now that was really bad. cool idea, but the controls are 1000x times worse than ordering Trico.

Ah well, I haven't got to that part yet. Maybe I will be singing a different tune when I do, I think I must be close to the end, i've just
done the lake puzzle

What's the rest of the list if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all.

Final Fantasy VII
Broken Sword
Shenmue
Broken Sword 2
Ristar
Final Fantasy VIII
Fear Effect
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Max Payne 2

As you can see, no recent titles to be found there. There are a good three or four last-gen/current-gen titles within the 11-20 bracket though.

Thank you silva. To be honest, TLG was one of those very VERY rare occasions where I knew I would love the game the moment I laid eyes on it. The E3 '09 trailer alone convinced me of that; it resonated with me on a huge level. The combination of it being an Ueda game and having a giant animal as your companion was a surefire way of securing my adoration from the start.

HStallion

I saw a friend of mine's kids playing this, an 11 and 9 year old and it was rather adorable. They kept yelling at Trico whenever things got scary but they handled it well. They also seemed to adapt to the controls rather easily and naturally. There were no complaints except when one of them didn't pet Trico enough or let it get hurt.

silva1991

Ah well, I haven't got to that part yet. Maybe I will be singing a different tune when I do, I think I must be close to the end, i've just
done the lake puzzle

Oh I'm sorry. I don't know why I was under the impression you were very late in the game seeing you post here in a while(kinda sleepy)

I better stay away from any OT until I'm fully awake and focused tomorrow.

Top Bottom