• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Kup

hints please.

Photo of where I am:
https://twitter.com/gingerbeardman/status/816600476665937920

Summary:
Have got barrel. Have swam to get close to switch but can't reach it. Have seen possible entry from above. Have made us both dive but not sure exactly where we should go.

Swim to the area with the bars and the lever you cannot reach, then have Trico jump into the water. The splash with raise the water level temporarily for you to be able to reach the ledge and then the lever.

wouwie

I can't stop thinking about this game although i finished it a few weeks ago. Great games only get better in memory (e.g. The Witness, Journey, Flower,...) and The Last Guardian seems to have the same effect on me. Trico is such an amazing creature and there are tons of small details to discover in his behaviour throughout the game. And the ending is just amazing.

I've been watching other people play this game on Youtube, which is something i very rarely do. It's great to see how other people react to Trico and to the various things that happen along the journey.

silva1991

This must have been mentioned over the course of the OT but i just started since i wanted to join when i completed the game. Trico is going to be a popular name given to pets. Especially dogs and cats.

I I get another pet in the future, I will name it Trico for sure.

myco666

Just finished this game the second time. Liking the game a lot but jeez this hint trophy is awful. Sit for minutes doing nothing and hope that you will trigger the hint. Some of these are apparently even bugged with the latest patch.

I finished last night, after playing on and off since launch. I got the trophy for completing in under 15 hours which surprised me to be honest, as the game wasted so much of my time I was sure my completion time was going to be more than that.

Mixed feelings overall, and I love Ico and SotC especially (the latter being my second favourite game ever). I didn't have a problem with the controls generally, although sometimes found the camera to be a bit of a pig, but my main issue was with Trico and getting the fucking beast to do things. I mean, they created an incredible facsimile of a real creature, from the noises, expressions and movement, but when it came to climbing on its back and getting it to trying to get it to do stuff, the game just became a tedious chore half the time. I made sure I went up and pressed circle frequently to stroke it on the legs, back, neck or head, but some jumps and some actions took two or three minutes for the damn thing to do anything, even if I was trying to initiate the correct manoeuvre.

On the whole I really liked the level design (even though I got stumped and had to ask in this topic what to do a couple of times), and artistically and technically this is one of the most impressive games I've ever seen, but I was so fed up fighting with Trico or waiting for him to do simple actions that it really soured my opinion on the damn game by the end. I feel like if they'd just dialled back the creature's sense of independence by about a third or a half then I would have liked the game a lot more and would probably consider it up there with Ico, but as things stand it was just a little too frustrating and for me it's the weakest Ueda game yet. However, I'm glad I played it and I hope to be able to revisit in down the line, hopefully with a slightly better understanding of how to get Trico to cooperate!

That is one of the best puzzles of 2017! You rob yourself if you are just looking up solutions.

Yes; that was an excellent puzzle and I'm glad I managed to work it out for myself. I did have to ask for hints a couple of times though.

Memento

So, I have been playing it for quite some time, but I want to finish it first before giving it a veridict.

But I have to say: I am questioning how long people have been gaming if they actually found the camera, controls and Trico's IA game breaking? I have been reading this impressions about how disastrous the camera is, how trash the IA is, and how bad it controls, but I am almost in the end (I think) and I have never encountered a single gamebreaking aspect.

The camera is fine, you just have to let it does its own thing and sometimes adjust it. I question your competente as a gamer if you cant do that tbh.

The controls are perfectly fine too. It relies a lot on animations, so it is just a matter of observing and dealing with its heaviness.

And then, the most controversial aspect, Trico's IA. In my experience, I have never got stucked in a environment for more than 20 minutes. Trico's IA is great. I blame people's lack of patience or even common sense skills. Peting Trico is the game, so I found it pretty insulting how some people get mad when they dont have their commmands responded in the exact way they want it. It is actually pretty easy to make Trico do what it needs to be done, you just need to be smart and stop spamming commands.

All in all, I am having a great time with it. It has that Team ICO magic all over it. I am excited to see the ending, because it was ICO's final minutes that cemented it as one of my favorite games of all times.

Just finished this game the second time. Liking the game a lot but jeez this hint trophy is awful. Sit for minutes doing nothing and hope that you will trigger the hint. Some of these are apparently even bugged with the latest patch.

I honestly feel like Ueda is satirizing trophy hunting with this. It must be immensely frustrating and while I sympathize with that, as someone who has zero interest in trophies, its kind of amusing ;)

Finally finished TLG, too much life in the way of games lately!

But man what a fucking fantastic experience. Superb visuals, story telling, environmental puzzles and music.

The AI of Trico is also something to be lauded. Easily the most realistic video game character I've experienced thanks to wonderful animations and conveyance of curiosity, anger, fear etc.

TLG is a really refreshing game in this day and age (little hand holding, actual platforming) that's executed with heart and the style only Fumito Ueda could do.

Is the game perfect, not at all, but I'll say it's the type of title that comes along very rarely for me à la Witcher 3.

Will probably elaborate my thoughts better in the GoTY thread but safe to say this is likely taking top spot.

Well worth the wait imo and a must buy for PS4 owners who enjoy single player games.

myco666

I honestly feel like Ueda is satirizing trophy hunting with this. It must be immensely frustrating and while I sympathize with that, as someone who has zero interest in trophies, its kind of amusing ;)

I doubt that. The triggers for hints are just badly implemented and some hints don't register even if you get them. Trophy itself is fine but the feature doesn't work properly.

muteki

I don't think the controls are bad across the board but I do think aspects of them do the game a disservice and offer little to no value. The lag when moving using the left stick and with the camera on the right stick to me have no reason to be there. Everything else was more or less fine.

This doesn't translate to "a bad camera" either because I rarely had it change positions on me to something wrong (usual "bad camera" issues), just me moving the camera manually felt off due to the lag.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't think the controls are bad across the board but I do think aspects of them do the game a disservice and offer little to no value. The lag when moving using the left stick and with the camera on the right stick to me have no reason to be there. Everything else was more or less fine.

This doesn't translate to "a bad camera" either because I rarely had it change positions on me to something wrong (usual "bad camera" issues), just me moving the camera manually felt off due to the lag.

The "input lag" on the boy is because his movements are animation based and it takes priority.

Fireblend

Banned
Starting this today, after finishing FFXV yesterday. Pretty excited about it! I've just seen a couple of trailers and the Giant Bomb QL. Can't wait to get home and start playing :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This gets given away in
first water area when you throw barrels to entice trico down.

Apparently not from how much trouble some people have with it.

It depends how much attention the player is paying to Trico. If someone didnt see that Trico jumping into water creates a wave then they might have no idea thats even possible.

But in classic video game design, the game first shows you what happens when Trico jumps into water in a controlled environment before incorporating it into a puzzle later on.

HStallion

It depends how much attention the player is paying to Trico. If someone didnt see that Trico jumping into water creates a wave then they might have no idea thats even possible.

But in classic video game design, the game first shows you what happens when Trico jumps into water in a controlled environment before incorporating it into a puzzle later on.

Oh I noticed immediately in that first water area early on simply because I can't remember the last game to do actual water displacement of any kind. I was blown away seeing the wave reach up and continue over the "platforms" and actually pick up and wash the boy further away.

HStallion

If it is a design decision it is theirs to make, but like I said I don't see the value in it over something more intuitive.

They wanted to recreate the feeling of playing as a little boy is my best guess. He's not Nathan Drake and the controls and movement take that into account and I don't think certain players do when they play the game. Not that they have to or should like it and understand but its very much a specific design decision to help add to the game overall. A lot of games would just have a normal or maybe "working hard" walking animation for making a character move over a pile of random pieces of rubble just to keep things running smooth. TLG makes that boy trip and climb and exert himself to get over the rubble instead of ignoring it or treating it like a fancy looking ramp or staircase.

If it is a design decision it is theirs to make, but like I said I don't see the value in it over something more intuitive.

How about design homogeneity to always make the most popular decision harms ever exploring new ideas to cater to hair trigger response.

Flashback is an incredible video game and you don't see much like it because similarly the way people respond to TLG with zero consideration beyond I don't like this.

Look at what happened with Demon's/Dark Souls. If it weren't for a vocal minority shouting endlessly of "fuck what you heard, you all need to expand your horizons" it would have just been another one of those cult classics that the mainstream shrugs at, if it even managed to show up on their radar. Look at how many critics who wrote those games off because it didn't conform to their well understood standards of good, then went back to it years later and go "oooooh."

muteki

They wanted to recreate the feeling of playing as a little boy is my best guess. He's not Nathan Drake and the controls and movement take that into account and I don't think certain players do when they play the game. Not that they have to or should like it and understand but its very much a specific design decision to help add to the game overall. A lot of games would just have a normal or maybe "working hard" walking animation for making a character move over a pile of random pieces of rubble just to keep things running smooth. TLG makes that boy trip and climb and exert himself to get over the rubble instead of ignoring it or treating it like a fancy looking ramp or staircase.
I get that, but I think you can convey that difference in experience or athleticism in ways other than "wait a second or two before you start moving". Animations over rough terrain or anything else really is not what I'm talking about. The floor could be a perfectly flat and empty room and the behavior is still there. I'm trying to be as specific as possible and not convey the controls are bad, because I don't think that is accurate enough.

How about design homogeneity to always make the most popular decision harms ever exploring new ideas to cater to hair trigger response.

Flashback is an incredible video game and you don't see much like it because similarly the way people respond to TLG with zero consideration beyond I don't like this.

Look at what happened with Demon's/Dark Souls. If it weren't for a vocal minority shouting endlessly of "fuck what you heard, you all need to expand your horizons" it would have just been another one of those cult classics that the mainstream shrugs at, if it even managed to show up on their radar. Look at how many critics who wrote those games off because it didn't conform to their well understood standards of good, then went back to it years later and go "oooooh."
Having little/no experience with Souls or Flashback I don't really know what you are getting at. I don't remember with my short time with Dark Souls it having this particular problem though, it has been a while. I think it is a bit of a leap to think that by me not liking this particular behavior that I'm somehow against people trying new things, its just sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't.

HStallion

I get that, but I think you can convey that difference in experience or athleticism in ways other than "wait a second or two before you start moving". Animations over rough terrain or anything else really is not what I'm talking about. The floor could be a perfectly flat and empty room and the behavior is still there. I'm trying to be as specific as possible and not convey the controls are bad, because I don't think that is accurate enough.

Well my point was that the animation priority only becomes an "issue" when people try to do things that would trouble a little boy and don't take that into account. Running on a flat surface in the game is easy and pretty immediate because that's easy for even a little kid to do but surmounting obstacles requires the animations to play out instead of just phasing the kid through things like rocks and rubble while playing a generic movement animation.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Instead of praising the animations of the boy and Trico people criticize them for not veing responsive enough.

The Demon's Soul comparison is good. People cant get over the fact that the game isnt like the others.

I played Uncharted 4 just a few months back, TLG feels so much better to platform and maneuver around in.

Kill3r7

Valid argument if you are talking about the general public who has yet to play and or buy the game but most folks in this thread have invested both time and money to experience TLG. So they are entitled to express their opinion and displeasure or frustration with the game even if they are simply saying that they don't like the controls, camera or AI. This is a forum after all.

HStallion

Valid argument if you are talking about the general public who has yet to play and or buy the game but most folks in this thread have invested both time and money to experience TLG. So they are entitled to express their opinion and displeasure or frustration with the game even if they are simply saying that they don't like the controls, camera or AI. This is a forum after all.

This is true but the outlook a lot of people often have can be rather simplistic and stifling because they don't like something,"It sucks".

Memento

Can we take a moment to appreciate how incredible the
make Trico jump in the water so you can reach the leveler
puzzle was?

I was like "Holy Shit!" when I got it.

The puzzle design in this game is really smart.

Those conclusions would be a lot more meaningful to discuss in a forum if there was more behind it than I don't like this or it just frustrates me. Everyone's stress management and frustration levels differ. Designing around removing frustration at all costs is a popular approach because it means the maximum number of people will enjoy the game, but that comes at the cost and compromise of other decisions. I don't need every game to make that its number one priority. Some of the best stuff out there has a rough edge that people find hard to get into, until suddenly it is the new norm. Sometimes the things that look and feel awkward look very different when you lean into them.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how incredible the
make Trico jump in the water so you can reach the leveler
puzzle was?

I was like "Holy Shit!" when I got it.

The puzzle design in this game is really smart.

I just watched EZA in depth podcast chat about the game and they brought up the same part.

When you see Trico on the ledge across the water and you think "surely not..." and you command him to jump in and reach the lever, it's like holy shit!

Man, this game is full of magical moments like that.

It's bittersweet to finish this game and feel it delivered on the lofty expectations and realize Ueda might not get an opportunity to make another game.

Kyrios

Man.
The scene where Trico tried to wake the unconscious boy got me a bit
I'm gonna be a wreck at the end of this game, ain't I? Lol

HStallion

It's bittersweet to finish this game and feel it delivered on the lofty expectations and realize Ueda might not get an opportunity to make another game.

He's stated he wants to make more games and that videogames are the only proper medium for his vision. Who knows what he'd make or where it would come out on but I hope he sticks with Sony as I don't think any other publisher would support him like they did all this time.

Dimmle

Man.

Y
es

He's stated he wants to make more games and that videogames are the only proper medium for his vision. Who knows what he'd make or where it would come out on but I hope he sticks with Sony as I don't think any other publisher would support him like they did all this time.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Gbraga

Man.

It was the first time I ever cried tears of joy with a game. Or any sort of fiction, that I can recall. It was an incredible moment. I don't think any player actually thought the boy would be dead, so his concern was more cute than anything, but him celebrating the boy being alive was just too real.

Dimmle

It was the first time I ever cried tears of joy with a game. Or any sort of fiction, that I can recall. It was an incredible moment. I don't think any player actually thought the boy would be dead, so his concern was more cute than anything, but him celebrating the boy being alive was just too real.
This and Mother 3 are the only game narratives I can remember wrenching such a sharp, emotional response out of me.

Bronetta

Man.

Theres three huge emotional moments in the game. You just witnessed the first.

Personally the second one hit me the hardest, but thats not to say the other werent emotional since they also hit me hard.

Top Bottom