• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Dimmle

I guess I need to include Mother 3 in my backlog.

It's a story about cartoon Peanuts people rather than a nearly perfect fascimile of an abused animal so your mileage may vary depending on your tastes, but it's definitely one of the best stories about cartoon Peanuts people.

I've just finished the game. This has to be the most frustrating game I've ever played. I need to sleep on this.
In the morning I hope I can deliver something of meaning to the conversation

JJShadow

Ordered this one a couple of weeks ago and now it's waiting for my arrival back at home, I'm really looking forward to dig into it once I come back next week

ICO and SotC were two of the games that marked my adolescence, and I expect no less from TLG.

big fake

I don't know how people can find this game frustrating. It really is simple and just requires you to be patient. Trico is supposed to be a real animal, act like a real animal, he has his own thoughts and behaves like an animal would.

Solrac

finished the game, my god... i ended yelling to the tv and almost smash my ps4, that chicken is dumb as fck and the camera, better not talk about it.

Compared to ICO this game is really bad.

Dimmle

Ordered this one a couple of weeks ago and now it's waiting for my arrival back at home, I'm really looking forward to dig into it once I come back next week

ICO and SotC were two of the games that marked my adolescence, and I expect no less from TLG.

I don't think it will mark your adolescence. ):

I guess I need to include Mother 3 in my backlog.

DO IT. Mother 2 (aka Earthbound) isn't strictly necessary but I'd recommend playing it, for the atmosphere and some extra reference points if nothing else. That game gets particularly... uh... interesting towards the end (hopefully you have not yet been spoiled about this).

JJShadow

I don't think it will mark your adolescence. ):

Haha I wish I still were so young :( At least I expect it to have a profound emotional response on me the same way ICO did. I've had a dog as pet for 6 years now as well, so I'm pretty sure I'll feel connected to Trico since the very first moment

Fireblend

Banned
I wanted to start playing today but forgot about the patches I'd have to download >_> is it worth downloading the 1GB of patches for the best experience or can I skip em? Playing on a slim.

KodaRuss

I wanted to start playing today but forgot about the patches I'd have to download >_> is it worth downloading the 1GB of patches for the best experience or can I skip em? Playing on a slim.

You probably need them I believe. 1 Gig isnt that much, try playing Doom with its 50gig download to start the game right now....

Definitely download - there have been improvements to camera movement, some minor performance improvements and (possibly) to the frequency of button prompts.

Dimmle

Haha I wish I still were so young :( At least I expect it to have a profound emotional response on me the same way ICO did. I've had a dog as pet for 6 years now as well, so I'm pretty sure I'll feel connected to Trico since the very first moment

Yeah, you're a goner.

silva1991

The last update fixes the camera, but not the performance. I hope you aren't sensitive to sub 30fps.

He's stated he wants to make more games and that videogames are the only proper medium for his vision. Who knows what he'd make or where it would come out on but I hope he sticks with Sony as I don't think any other publisher would support him like they did all this time.

I just want him to keep making games like ICO, SotC and TLG until he retires. Nobody else can pull off what he does. They can imitate it sure, but nothing competes with Ueda's vision as far as I'm concerned.

Fireblend

Banned
Alright, I'll download the patch. Sadly my shitty connection will make sure it takes something like 2 hours :p Doom has a 50GB patch download? I... Don't think I'm playing that game anytime soon.

And yeah I don't really mind FPS drops.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just want him to keep making games like ICO, SotC and TLG until he retires. Nobody else can pull off what he does. They can imitate it sure, but nothing competes with Ueda's vision as far as I'm concerned.

If you read the Glixel interview with him he talks all about making games, his process, budgets and so on. Its very in depth. He's talked about interest in VR but he's not certain if the tech is there for what he wants to do as well a desire to make an FPS (imagine that) and has also stated that he doesn't need anywhere near a AAA budget but he needs more than your average Indie game.

Alright, I'll download the patch. Sadly my shitty connection will make sure it takes something like 2 hours :p Doom has a 50GB patch download? I... Don't think I'm playing that game anytime soon.

And yeah I don't really mind FPS drops.

The patches are tiny in comparison to other games. Hell TLG is smaller than most games patches alone.

Gbraga

It's a story about cartoon Peanuts people rather than a nearly perfect fascimile of an abused animal so your mileage may vary depending on your tastes, but it's definitely one of the best stories about cartoon Peanuts people.

Yes. Yes you do.

DO IT. Mother 2 (aka Earthbound) isn't strictly necessary but I'd recommend playing it, for the atmosphere and some extra reference points if nothing else. That game gets particularly... uh... interesting towards the end (hopefully you have not yet been spoiled about this).

I actually really like Earthbound. I just never played 3 because of the localization. Too lazy to look up fan translation stuff, I guess.

Kyrios

Just beat the game, the whole last act of the game was fantastic.

Shadow of the Colossus is still my favorite overall by a good margin though. But TLG is still something special.

HStallion

Love to see someone attempt to make a TLG movie of some sort. I figure animated would be the best route but I suppose with a proper budget and the right creative team a live action version would most certainly be something to watch on the big screen.

FrankWza

It depends how much attention the player is paying to Trico. If someone didnt see that Trico jumping into water creates a wave then they might have no idea thats even possible.

But in classic video game design, the game first shows you what happens when Trico jumps into water in a controlled environment before incorporating it into a puzzle later on.

Oh I noticed immediately in that first water area early on simply because I can't remember the last game to do actual water displacement of any kind. I was blown away seeing the wave reach up and continue over the "platforms" and actually pick up and wash the boy further away.

Yeah i got lucky that i was in that
small room in between barrel throws
. If that doesn't happen i would have been stumped. Crazy how random some things are. Im gonna try again tonight to see about the
poop

Also noticed while waiting for tricos business that he does direct the boy a ton if you wait and is way more responsive to commands at that point.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
man this game, this fucking game. Of course it starts really slow but really ramps up later on. I am surprised with how long it is so far. One criticism I had was I wish this game had bigger set pieces but now I believe it ramps up more and there have been way more amazing cinematic moments. Also the cinematics in this game are phenomenal! I just recently got the one where
Trico comes to the village and swallows the boy and flys away, fuck it was done so well I hope there are more!

havent beaten the game but my top 3 emotional moments so far

as stated above when the boy is unconscious and Trico tries to wake him up frantically, I was concerned but knew I was ok obviously because the boy is the narrator so I knew I wasnt dead but still I had that What if Moment

The second one would be where I felt Trico faces his fears of those weird symbols on the bridge. I toss one then the boy gets hypnotised by those walking statues. Since there was one of those symbols left I was being carried back I thought I was done for. Trico pretty much says fuck it and faces his fears and jumps to save me regardless I smiled and a slight tear came down my cheek and thought fuck that was huge

Last one would be when Trico spreads his wings and flys for the first time. I thought we were doomed falling then I see Trico slowly open his wings and my first reaction was like ".....no..." then we started to drift and I was like

giphy.gif

Trico hits the castle and I am frantically trying to save him and saying out loud "dont give up you son of a bitch you saved me I sure as hell am saving you dont give up on me"

I have no idea how much of this game I have left but please dont tell me. I have never been this invested in a creature like this before in a game, its stunning, beautiful and with just animation and body language alone you can tell a story. Simply amazing

Ok im a couple of hours into the game and its fantastic. I wish the controls and camera and framerate were better but its been pretty thrilling regardless.

I am so protective over Trico omfg. I get so upset when enemies attack and stab him. Ive just been pushing mufuckas down so they dont hurt my baby. I am way too attached to this video game creature.

Kyrios

Ok im a couple of hours into the game and its fantastic. I wish the controls and camera and framerate were better but its been pretty thrilling regardless.

I am so protective over Trico omfg. I get so upset when enemies attack and stab him. Ive just been pushing mufuckas down so they dont hurt my baby. I am way too attached to this video game creature.

Got weird for me, after every battle I found myself petting him and going "You okay, buddy?" Lol

Got weird for me, after every battle I found myself petting him and going "You okay, buddy?" Lol

DUDE

I make sure I pet him whenever he does something good, like after a battle or after a series of death defying jumps and stuff. Sometimes when im stuck on a puzzle i just pet him for the hell of it. Hes a very good boy most of the time so he needs to know that.

And whenever were separated I just spam the R1 button yelling for him. Same when I run into enemies lol

This game. Ughhh

Dimmle

DUDE

I make sure I pet him whenever he does something good, like after a battle or after a series of death defying jumps and stuff. Sometimes when im stuck on a puzzle i just pet him for the hell of it. Hes a very good boy most of the time so he needs to know that.

And whenever were separated I just spam the R1 button yelling for him. Same when I run into enemies lol

This game. Ughhh
This is exactly how I played as well.

Fireblend

Banned
Also a couple hours into the game, and wow, I'm enjoying this like I never thought I would, and I had high expectations. Sure, there are some FPS dips, but they are blemishes in comparison with the outstanding game this one is. I'm in love with Trico, the puzzles, the narrative, the gameplay, the music... I could pet Trico for hours lol

Already thinking of going to the GotY thread to edit my post and work TLG in. I had to stop because I realized I want to make this experience last.

Can we take a moment to appreciate how incredible the
make Trico jump in the water so you can reach the leveler
puzzle was?

I was like "Holy Shit!" when I got it.

The puzzle design in this game is really smart.

For sure! It was really intuitive too. Took me about 10 minutes to figure it out, seeing the big guy jump in the water like a golden retriever at the beach.

I've been at this for maybe 3 or so hours, learned how to give commands and just finished the puzzle with the rotating guards. Just a few thoughts:

-I'm dumbfounded at how bad the camera is. Not only is it super sluggishness to control, it constantly drifts to the ground or the sky at completely random times, and the quick fadeout it does as the camera resets (and this happens a LOT) is pretty annoying.

-The framerate is unfortunately worse than I was hoping. It doesn't drop only when you get out to the big areas, it also drops in moderately large indoor rooms, even when Trico jumps at something and you're riding on its back.

-With that said, the game is absolutely lovely. I have no idea what the "omg laggy controls" complainers are even going on about. The controls are perfect and weighty, exactly how you'd expect a random kid to control. And they're not any laggier than say GTAIV or V. The environments are amazing, the soundtrack is phenomenal, and Trico's animations and behavior is absolutely jaw doing. What a fantastic experience so far!

I don't know how people can find this game frustrating. It really is simple and just requires you to be patient. Trico is supposed to be a real animal, act like a real animal, he has his own thoughts and behaves like an animal would.

Ok so i have had some time to think about my experience with the game and the reason i found the game frustrating was nothing to do with Trico, the opposite in fact. I found Trico an absolute joy to control. I never encountered the issues with him that other posters have. I found the level design and puzzles to be brilliant and engaging. I thought the story was moving and gripping. Some of the set pieces are the best i've experienced in a game.

After all this praise you're probably thinking why am i frustrated? I'm frustrated because this could have been one of the best video games i've ever played but its let down by a horrible camera and poor controls. These issues i cannot over look, i spent so much time thinking "this could of been something very special if it wasn't for this jank" throughout my time with it.

it just took the gloss off the experience. I found climbing on Trico to be problematic, swimming awful and the psychics poor.

I've not mentioned frame rate issues as they just don't bother me too much.

I loved the game all in all. I think Trico is best video game character ever deigned. I spent so much time just stroking his head thinking he was real. I just wish it had the polish to put the cherry on the cake and make it one of the great games.

I would recommend this game to anyone who like games like journey. This is a very special game and something that only video games can translate.

So i just got up to the part where
Trico tries desperately to wake you up after swallowing you for the second time
and I got really emotional.
I loved the cinematic that explains how Trico brought you to The Nest. It was gorgeous and really well done!

I loved how Trico started jumping up and down out of excitement then brought his face close to you and started nuzzling. I just had to pet and hug him for 5 whole minutes as I was just as excited as he was!

I'm not even finished but I think this is my GOTY so far. I dont remember the last time a game got me so emotionally invested. Its very special.

Gbraga

So i just got up to the part where
Trico tries desperately to wake you up after swallowing you for the second time
and I got really emotional.
I loved the cinematic that explains how Trico brought you to The Nest. It was gorgeous and really well done!

I loved how Trico started jumping up and down out of excitement then brought his face close to you and started nuzzling. I just had to pet and hug him for 5 whole minutes as I was just as excited as he was!

I'm not even finished but I think this is my GOTY so far. I dont remember the last time a game got me so emotionally invested. Its very special.

This part is incredible.

And special is the right word, I knew I was playing something special since the first note of Overture Lore played in the intro, haha. Some games you just know you'll love. Persona 4 was similar, right at the opening I knew I was playing something amazing.

HStallion

I'll just leave this here. From the latest PAL Sales thread.

PoisedCavernousAndeancat.gif

I think someone should replace Shaq's head with the Boys. Or even better insert the boy doing this doing his excited running in place animation

myco666

Just got the hint trophy. What a relief it was when it popped up. Not using alt costumes seems to help.

Was doing well on no-death run too but then this happened. Thanks game for not letting me get that trophy on this playthrough. Managed to snatch that >5 hour trophy by accident though.

sasuke_91

Just got the hint trophy. What a relief it was when it popped up. Not using alt costumes seems to help.

Was doing well on no-death run too but then this happened. Thanks game for not letting me get that trophy on this playthrough. Managed to snatch that >5 hour trophy by accident though.

Can you press the PS Button quickliy before dying and exit the game or does the death still count?

I'm trying to write down some impressions but I don't want to end up with a wall of text nobody reads. I'll collect my thoughts and try putting something down.

Alucrid

Banned
Can you press the PS Button quickliy before dying and exit the game or does the death still count?

I'm trying to write down some impressions but I don't want to end up with a wall of text nobody reads. I'll collect my thoughts and try putting something down.

you can just hit start and reset checkpoint before you die

Jennipeg

I've just been browsing Youtube, and there was a recommended video of PewDiePie playing The Last Guardian, i'm not exactly a fan but I had a look and he nearly cried at the ending too (I cried my eyes out) I think parts of the gameplay drove him crazy but he seemed genuinely affected by it, and said he would remember the game forever. Which is pretty much how I feel. It's just nice to see people react that way to the game despite its obvious flaws. It's such a special game to me.

sasuke_91

I've just been browsing Youtube, and there was a recommended video of PewDiePie playing The Last Guardian, i'm not exactly a fan but I had a look and he nearly cried at the ending too (I cried my eyes out) I think parts of the gameplay drove him crazy but he seemed genuinely affected by it, and said he would remember the game forever. Which is pretty much how I feel. It's just nice to see people react that way to the game despite its obvious flaws. It's such a special game to me.

Yeah PewDiePie loves the game. SotC is also one of his favourite games ever (which is totally understandable).
Haven't watched his videos yet, but I might think about it.

Watching YouTube videos about TLG and reading the comments drives me crazy. Watched the Honest Trailer that came out earlier and had to force myself to not scroll too far down the comments. The trailer itself was also one of the worst ones and I'm not just saying this because I like the game.

Jennipeg

Yeah PewDiePie loves the game. SotC is also one of his favourite games ever (which is totally understandable).

Watching YouTube videos about TLG and reading the comments drives me crazy. Watched the Honest Trailer that came out earlier and had to force myself to not scroll too far down the comments. The trailer itself was also one of the worst ones and I'm not just saying this because I like the game.

I just watched the videos that included the most memorable scenes, and he reacted as most of us did. This game is so manipulative lol. I'm used to him being quite load, but he dialled it back for this and spoke a bit about Shadow as well. I didn't realise he loved the game so much.

For me, I think I prefer the lore and atmosphere of Shadow but the character work in TLG is god tier. Trico is up there with my favourite characters now, not just in gaming but in fiction, and he doesn't even speak!

silva1991

I find it both funny and sad that some kids have convinced themselves before release that this will be the next Duke Nukem Forever and they still say that even tho TLG reviewed greatly and got many GOTY awards and counting.

Like how do they even compare

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-last-guardian

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/duke-nukem-forever

Got a bit nostalgic and watched the E3 2009 trailer for the umpteenth time. It's still amazing lol. A big part of me wishes that Miller Crossing music made it into the final product, but I guess that would've been weird.

sasuke_91

I just watched the videos that included the most memorable scenes, and he reacted as most of us did. This game is so manipulative lol. I'm used to him being quite load, but he dialled it back for this and spoke a bit about Shadow as well. I didn't realise he loved the game so much.

For me, I think I prefer the lore and atmosphere of Shadow but the character work in TLG is god tier. Trico is up there with my favourite characters now, not just in gaming but in fiction, and he doesn't even speak!

I might have to watch a few scenes.

I prefer the athmosphere, lore and world of Shadow.
To me ICO and TLG are quite similar in terms of athmosphere and building relationships, but TLG is the better game I think.
Can't really rate them right now though. ICO is a game that gets better and better the more you think about it. TLG is a game with great emotional impact and a lot to think about after having finished the game. It'll be easier after having collected my thoughts.

I find it both funny and sad that some kids have convinced themselves before release that this will be the next Duke Nukem Forever and they still say that even tho TLG reviewed greatly and got many GOTY awards and counting.

Like how do they even compare

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-last-guardian

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/duke-nukem-forever

"You can't trust game reviews. They're worse than movie reviews"
There's an excuse for everything.

Jennipeg

Got a bit nostalgic and watched the E3 2009 trailer for the umpteenth time. It's still amazing lol. A big part of me wishes that Miller Crossing music made it into the final product, but I guess that would've been weird.

Speaking of the music,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3XoaRmByFs

Is this in the game or is it trailer music? I just searched for the last guardian main theme and this came up. It sounds ripped from somewhere. Maybe it's fan made because I don't recognise it. I like it though.

Top Bottom