• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I'm going to buy this DLC and I'm curious about the documentary, but I don't care about any multiplayer maps. Do you think it is worth getting the season pass?

Carl

But what if it's already installed? That's what I want to know. Will it download it again?!

Usually preloads for full games unlock at 1:00am on release day. Dunno about DLC, i've never preloaded DLC before.

Don't think you can prereload through the season pass, since the pass simply makes DLC for a game "free" - probably have to wait for the item to be on the store you can download it.

Stark

Banned
Game lengths should be addressed and criticized, otherwise there will be time when people accept 1-2 hour games for full price and will even defend it. 15 bucks for 2 hours of gameplay is bullshit.

Nothing really about the length of the game. That will depend on the player.

So I'm going to buy this DLC and I'm curious about the documentary, but I don't care about any multiplayer maps. Do you think it is worth getting the season pass?

If you're a fan of the game the documentary is something you absolutely need to see. I can't really tell you if it will be worth the extra 5 bucks for you.

The documentary is amazing, really well made and presents a fantastic look behind the scenes. Watching the actors perform some of their scenes live is extremely cool and interesting.
The documentary highlights the sheer level of talent that went into this game, which is flat out mindblowing.

If you've played through TLoU then yes, absolutely. Hell, my sister who has never (and will never) play TLoU sat through and watched it with me last weekend (she loves documentaries) and thought it was great. If you enjoy a behind-the-scenes look at the process of making something, then this doc is ace imo.

Preordered this. Should have been a little patient and bought the season pass instead. -_-

Can't you cancel a preorder? I'd cancel it and buy the SP since it's still up on the Sony store.

Game lengths should be addressed and criticized, otherwise there will be time when people accept 1-2 hour games for full price and will even defend it. 15 bucks for 2 hours of gameplay is bullshit.

You're still posting in this thread? Why? This is the OT for the TLoU DLC. It's a fair bet that a lot of people here are really excited for and will pick it up. I'd be willing to bet that a number of us also have (or are about to get) the Season Pass in which case no, the DLC isn't costing us $15 as we've also picked up a documentary along with MP map packs, etc..

I think that the core of your rant-- the problem you have with X game costing Y but only being Z hours long-- is a valid debate worth having (even if in this instance I disagree with you) but seriously, why not create a thread about that issue in general and focus discussion there? With MGS:GZ purported length vs. price, DD only indie titles that come at a price premium (e.g. Proteus), etc.. you'd have plenty to talk about amongst people that actually want to talk about it as opposed to coming in here and shitting on something that people seem to be genuinely excited about in this thread.

Well just bought the DLC. Can´t wait just a few more hours to go.

My first ever DLC and i hope i won´t be burned. But i have faith in ND.

Kaswa101

Still need to order this. Anyone know when the review embargo ends? I'm interested in seeing what the critics think.

Either way, TLOU was amazing, so I'll definitely play this when I get the chance.

At midnight I guess..

Sucks for the embargo, hopefully I didn't burn 15€

Eurogamer, Videogamer, and IGN have all posted impressions of the entire DLC and they're all very positive about it. As Artex said, this late embargo seems to be in place specifically because of some major spoilers that exist. Neil mentioned it on his twitter and also hinted at it on the recent Up at Noon that he and Bruce were on.

DTU

Banned
First review... I think?

https://twitter.com/tapezilla/status/434023206538604544

OvMHwaD.jpg

You should be very careful reading any reviews or looking at media as Neil said that there's a real possibility that something major is going to be spoiled for you.

On blackout for this exact reason. This is probably the reason the embargo isn't lifted until the day before it's release, as well.

Feorax

IGN saying embargo has been broken. Has anyone but Polygon posted a review?

If not, oops.

EDIT: lol

@pkollar: sooo heads up: I'm an idiot and posted that review at the wrong time. Incredibly stupid rookie mistake. apologies to all, will be up tonight

daveo42

Banned
Weird, I thought the embargo was supposed to be later?

Embargo was supposed to be midnight, but I guess a few have broken embargo here. Others waiting for okay from Sony to publish or not. At least based on what's happening on twitter.

Edit: Polygon pulling their review.

Thanks, I might have to wait until I plan to replay it or it drops. Hmm

Oh, so did you play it through then sell it? If you're willing to wait and don't care about Left Behind getting spoiled for you through all the coverage it's going to get, I'd say wait for a GOTY/Definitive version to come out.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Oh, so did you play it through then sell it? If you're willing to wait and don't care about Left Behind getting spoiled for you through all the coverage it's going to get, I'd say wait for a GOTY/Definitive version to come out.
Rented for two days and didn't have the MP pass.

MP might have a few lobbies going with the gathering of the the dlc buyers? :3

Levyne

Banned
Polygon review didn't really have anything I would consider a spoiler. But I know it's not always black and white on that front.

JABEE

It's weird that there is an increasing sentiment that because this story features only teenage girls it is inherently better than the story told in the original Last of Us which featured a middle-aged man.

It's almost as if game criticism is restricted to looking at the variables in a story and deciding whether to like it or not. "This has zombie story. I like Zombie stories" Therefore this is evidence of the quality of the storytelling being better?

The only problem I have with reviews like this are that they fail to actually go into any kind of detail as to why these surface-level character changes make a story better. I thought Last of Us's story was deeper than Kollar's description of the story being too bleak or full of despair for him to enjoy.

It's just strange to see all of these empty objective gender-based quality measurements seep into the majority of the reviewsI have read recently. "This does this kind of story well, therefore it is better than one that was about a man." Stories are more than just the surface-level characteristics and plot. How did these gender changes shape the story and move it in a better direction? In what way did these different characters offer new themes unexplored by the original Last of Us?

It's good that themes like gender are on the radar with game criticism, but these games seem to be critiqued in the same traditional list-item review style of the past just with different items on the list to measure.

Top Bottom