• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT|

KorrZ

Hopefully the surprise isn't that you play as Riley. Not that I wouldn't like to play as her, but after that "surprise" in the first game, it would be pretty predictable.

Hopefully the surprise isn't that you play as Riley. Not that I wouldn't like to play as her, but after that "surprise" in the first game, it would be pretty predictable.

There really isn't any wiggle room with this comment

In just a few short months since the release of The Last of Us, you have made it clear that Ellie has become one of your favorite characters in games. Today, we’re excited to confirm that you play as Ellie throughout the entirety of Left Behind.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/14/uncharted-on-ps4-the-last-of-us-left-behind-dlc-revealed/

$15 for 2 hours of gameplay? Ahahahahahahah!!! ... Oh wait, they're serious... let me laugh even harder: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Not a chance in hell. Thank you, come again.

Endless

hmhvih.jpg

kpaadet

$15 for 2 hours of gameplay? Ahahahahahahah!!! ... Oh wait, they're serious... let me laugh even harder: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Not a chance in hell. Thank you, come again.

If those 2 hours are amazing I will gladly pay $15, Journey was around 2 hours and well worth $15. Then again where I live a movie ticket can easily cost $15.

Thanks for the contribution, no one cares about your purchasing habits though.

Then why care about anything at all? As far as I know this place is meant for us to express our opinions on matters, and this is exactly what I'm doing.

I'm putting in perspective the ridiculousness of paying $15 for 2 hours of gameplay. When I paid $60 for 20 hours of gameplay in the original game. My opinion is as valid as any. Thank you, come again.

rottame

Then why care about anything at all? As far as I know this place is meant for us to express our opinions on matters, and this is exactly what I'm doing.

I'm putting in perspective the ridiculousness of paying $15 for 2 hours of gameplay. When I paid $60 for 20 hours of gameplay in the original game. My opinion is as valid as any. Thank you, come again.

I once bought a book of poetry, and I read it all in, like, one hour. It costed around 15$
Once I went to the cinema. I watched a 1.5h movie. It costed around 15$
Those who wrote that book or made that movie should understand the ridiculousness of making me pay 15$ for less than two hours of entertainment.

However, I also bought this.

1129_paddleballgame_1c.jpg

ENDLESS FUN FOR LESS THAN 15$!

Thank you, come again.

keep in mind that this length stipulation isn't written on stone. But really, if you liked the game, i see no reason to ignore this dlc because of its price tag

IF you view everything in contexts like that, I can't imagine how you shop for other things in your daily life...
Look, it's 15 bucks for a 2-3 hour story. Either you pay the 15 bucks, enjoy it (that's as much as a night out at the movies for a single person) or you wait until it reaches a price acceptable to you.

I'm one of those "vote with your dollar" people, and I think paying 15 bucks for original DLC that doesn't reuse many assets is well worth it. A premium? Sure. But if I enjoy what the artists create for me, why shouldn't I give them my hard-earned money.

Your opinion is not valid because your comparing your play through of the game to one journo who supposedly played the DLC in 2 hours. Maybe you should wait for the actual reviews to drop before you decide to buy or not buy the DLC.

cameron

When the main game reviewed, some sites were saying the length was around 12 hours. If you put 20 hours into the original, I'd bet you could go longer than 2 hours in the DLC. I think the two hour figure was from Eurogamer.

I once bought a book of poetry, and I read it all in, like, one hour. It costed around 15$
Once I went to the cinema. I watched a 1.5h movie. It costed around 15$
Those who wrote that book or made that movie should understand the ridiculousness of making me pay 15$ for less than two hours of entertainment.

However, I also bought this.

1129_paddleballgame_1c.jpg

ENDLESS FUN FOR LESS THAN 15$!

Thank you, come again.

You're comparing entirely different forms of entertainment. This is akin to comparing oranges and apples. If I told you that you could get a paddle ball that was just as good for $5, would you still feel justified in buying the $15 one?

Your opinion is not valid because your comparing your play through of the game to one journo who supposedly played the DLC in 2 hours. Maybe you should wait for the actual reviews to drop before you decide to buy or not buy the DLC.

Or perhaps I'm being realistically cautious because in the past, a good 99% of the DLCs released have been priced way beyond their value compared to the original game. I see no end in sight for this trend, and I'll be extremely surprised if things are different this time around.

IndustryX

You're comparing entirely different forms of entertainment. This is akin to comparing oranges and apples. If I told you that you could get a paddle ball that was just as good for $5, would you still feel justified in buying the $15 one?

? What DLC is just as good for $5?

? What DLC is just as good for $5?

Original game: 20+ hours of gameplay, online mode, for $60 = $3 per hour (And I'm not even factoring in the online mode and all the other goodies)
DLC: ~2 hours of gameplay for $15 = $7,5 per hour

For the exact same type of gameplay.

It's like if you bought part 1 of a book for $10... and then when part 2 came out, then they suddenly asked for $25 for it, for no reason other than greed. How would you feel?

Well, in the UK the season pass is £15.99, and frankly I'm more than satisfied with that. I watched the hour and a half documentary and really enjoyed it, I've been playing on the new multiplayer maps for the best part of this week, so I've got some mileage out of it. And even a few more hours of my favourite game of the generation is more than worth the price tag with the other stuff inclusive.

But then again I'm the kind of person who looks at the quality of the product and the caliber of the developer, rather than dryly quantify everything by how many hours it equates into dollars/pounds, because I feel it's more relevant to my enjoyment. Thank you, come again.

TLoU and House of Cards all Friday night. If I'm lucky a little Titanfall sprinkled in. I've had some good weekends this year but this may be the best yet.

rottame

With infinite fun the price doesn't matter, cause the cost per hour is actually almost zero.

No, seriously, the idea of "cost per hour of entertainment" is ridiculous. Length of the experience means exactly nothing: either the experience is worth the price, or it's not.

This accountant way of thinking is ruining videogames. Most games are way longer than they should be and have too much filler content. I value my time: I'd rather have an interesting experience for two hours than one diluted over ten hours.

rottame

Original game: 20+ hours of gameplay, online mode, for $60 = $3 per hour (And I'm not even factoring in the online mode and all the other goodies)
DLC: ~2 hours of gameplay for $15 = $7,5 per hour

For the exact same type of gameplay.

It's like if you bought part 1 of a book for $10... and then when part 2 came out, then they suddenly asked for $25 for it, for no reason other than greed. How would you feel?

So, which book you have read has the best price per page? That must be the best book ever.

Well, in the UK the season pass is £15.99, and frankly I'm more than satisfied with that. I watched the hour and a half documentary and really enjoyed it, I've been playing on the new multiplayer maps for the best part of this week, so I've got some mileage out of it. And even a few more hours of my favourite game of the generation is more than worth the price tag with the other stuff inclusive.

But then again I'm the kind of person who looks at the quality of the product and the caliber of the developer, rather than dryly quantify everything by how many hours it equates into dollars/pounds, because I feel it's more relevant to my enjoyment. Thank you, come again.

So I take it you would be okay if they charged $60 for it? What about $90?

Why are people bickering about whether its worth it or not hahaha? Keep your TI's in your pockets people. A SNES cartridge sold for 100k last week. Most people think that is idiotic. But every person values things differently. When you're playing on Friday you won't even be thinking about what Atomic is doing. And he/she won't be thinking about you. Move on.

Why are people bickering about whether its worth it or not hahaha? Keep your TI's in your pockets people. A SNES cartridge sold for 100k last week. Most people think that is idiotic. But every person values things differently. When you're playing on Friday you won't even be thinking about what Atomic is doing. And he/she won't be thinking about you. Move on.

I'm just hoping to make people open their eyes to the daylight robbery that's being unleashed upon them. This trend of overpriced DLC has been going on for far too long and judging from this thread, unfortunately I can see that there's just no end in sight for it. I wish there was...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm just hoping to make people open their eyes to the daylight robbery that's being unleashed upon them. This trend of overpriced DLC has been going on for far too long and judging from this thread, unfortunately I can see that there's just no end in sight for it. I wish there was...

How the hell is it "daylight robbery" if it's worth it to you? I've bought multiple XBLA or PSN games that only gave me a few hours of gameplay for that same $15 price tag and they were worth it. Also you have to add in the fact that everyone plays stuff differently. We can't just say 2 hours is exactly how long it will take everyone to 100% complete the DLC.

Don't buy it if it's an issue for you.

So I take it you would be okay if they charged $60 for it? What about $90?

Nah, I've got limits. £15.99 is about right for me. On the other hand, I am buying Ground Zeroes, so make of that what you will. But again I will probably get more hours out of GZ than any other current PS4 game, it's all about the enjoyment factor.

rottame

Again, you're comparing different books with different quality.

I'm comparing the same game with the same quality of gameplay.

What if the quality is greater than the main game? Let's say this DLC contains 2.5 times more quality than TLoU. Then it's a totally fine deal.
Come on. Don't you realize how ridiculous this approach is? We're not talking about quantifiable things! (unless you think of every piece of media as time waster, and then the paddle with a ball attached is better).

I'm just hoping to make people open their eyes to the daylight robbery that's being unleashed upon them.

I've never seen a robbery where people gave away their money enthusiastically.

Well, discussion of macro-trend DLC pricing is a little outside the scope of this thread.

There's really not much to discuss that will meaningfully change the way you or other people in this thread feel towards this DLC. Some people like this game more than you do and are willing to pay more. Likewise, other people need to understand that you don't place as much value on this game and are choosing to pass on this purchase. Both sides are allowed to express this. Let's move on.

For everyone wondering why the hell are some of us giving 15 bucks to Naughty Dog for a 2 hour DLC.

Truthfully, none of us know if this game will be worth that much yet.

But Naughty Dog deserves us risking 15 dollars and two hours of our time because of some amazing work they have done. That is the reason for our justification. They deserve this 'risk'.

Artex

Banned
Bitching about the price should just be bannable in this thread at this point. I mean ffs people I've never seen so much bitching over $15.

Chaos17

Bitching about the price should just be bannable in this thread at this point. I mean ffs people I've never seen so much bitching over $15.
People are disappointed on mobile games that make million dollars so that's normal to feel disappointed too here.

Still not getting my point?
Simple, you're just sending a message like all those mobile gamers who pay a lot of money: "feed me with whatever you want, I'm blind with the love I've for you".

We're lot of people here being dispointed by the pro who're getting less focused of what is important (why do think people throw themselveves at Kickstarter project ? then) and think more of way to milk us but I can't blame them when people turn a blind eye and say : "YES, PLEASE".

Hubb

You do realize the amount of money they had to put into this DLC right?

A movie tickets costs me $12.50 - $16.50 in NY. $15 for a 2 hour game seems perfectly reasonable especially within that context.

If anyone can rob me for my dollar, and especially if it's a chance to have the quality of storytelling and world building TLoU had, ND can gladly nick my wallet :) If it was another IP I wasn't as attached to I'd probably decline if it had similar price/length. I can give this a pass considering the pedigree.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
If those 2 hours are amazing I will gladly pay $15, Journey was around 2 hours and well worth $15. Then again where I live a movie ticket can easily cost $15.

Movie tickets aren't quite as expensive for me, but this is actually the metric that I use - if a movie ticket normally costs me around $10 for ~2 hours of entertainment, then I'll measure a game in the same way. Since this is Naughty Dog and The Last of Us then $20 for 2 hours sounds pretty good for me as long as it's as amazing as the base game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Geez, by that logic, we should all stop buying videogames altogether because Dwarf Fortress (aka best game ever) is free and gives thousands of hours of entertainment for nothing, Beat that.

Top Bottom