• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Duxxy3

I am about 2 hours in and i am not overly amazed.

I get that it's survival horror, but so far it's just not very fun.

There's no puzzles to solve, no platforming to do. The shooting mechanics kinda suck because everything twitches so god damn much. Melee is OK, but only against one enemy.

It's basically Splinter Cell with zombies, bad gunplay and below average stealth mechanics.

I'm hoping my opinion changes because I love naughty dog.

Loudninja

I was playing an area and I got detected by an enemy and I said "oh shit!" at the same time he said "oh shit!"
It was funny.

I feel like a doofus starting the game on normal but the gameplay is very fun so I'll play it again on survivor when I beat it.
Why would you feel that way

If you enjoy yourself who cares right?

There's no puzzles to solve, no platforming to do. The shooting mechanics kinda suck because everything twitches so god damn much. Melee is OK, but only against one enemy.

It's basically Splinter Cell with zombies, bad gunplay and below average stealth mechanics.

Platforming?? This isn't Uncharted.

Shooting mechanics suck??? Dude, the shooting mechanics are amazing. I don't get how people even argue about this, there's not much variation between most games. I'd say best shooting mechanics imo this gen are MP3, Gears of War 3, UC2 and Vanquished.

I was expecting to be underwhelmed by the visuals, but the game looks gorgeous on my my T.V's. Single most graphically impressive game on these consoles.

The violence in this game reminds me of History of Violence. There have been absolute jaw dropping moments of brutality, which really helps the world come alive.

So far I'm liking it a lot, but I have to say that so far the game isn't really doing anything out of the ordinary with the characters. I don't know how far into the game I am, but I keeping waiting for something a lil bit more special, since right now the beginning of the game is still what stroke me the most.

antitrop

This game is incredible in accurately portraying the feeling of being under fire. I'm wondering how other games in the future will top this aspect.

No other game even comes close. The sound, the camera work, the confusion, the "where did that come from?" the "shit, that one was too close.".

This is the most intense and pulse-pounding video game ever created. That I've played, at least.

The design of each area and the placements/patrol routes of the enemies are absolutely flawless. I typically hate stealth games and I typically hate understanding enemy movement patterns, but it is such an enjoyable and rewarding experience in this game. Something, something Dark Souls.

Hey guys, is anyone else getting bad lag spikes in multiplayer where your character just stands still randomly?

I'm trying to figure out if it's on my end or the game's but I have pretty solid internet, although I am on wifi, but I've never had that cause problems like this on other games.

sunnz

Guys kind of spoilers not really sure, but spent about 30 minutes on this section and am getting infuriated so I just want to know if this is worth my time:

It's really early on in the game, first 2 hours. No real spoilers but still gonna put it!
You guys know the area where your introduced to the new type of infected? The Clicker? There's an area where there are like 10 of them walking around, in that area there is a book store with a safe, across the book store there is a store with a note saying "Put my stuff in the safe the combo is _____", well... what the hell is in the safe I've died many times trying to open it, Not sure if it's worth it anymore. Seriously 10 deaths and 30 minutes spent trying to open the damn thing.

Some weapon parts and ammo.

Nothing too important, but useful.

Also, question.

Is there a way to "steady" your aim while aiming? I miss so often from the constant small movements :p

No, but you can decrease the weapon sway by saving up the pills you find and using them in the skill menu ( R1 when you press select). Makes it a lot better .

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

That is about all you get. At least it is for me 5 hours in.

Is it just me or do you have to use the flashlight a lot?
Maybe in the beginning but later on, not really. Well, so far.

I was playing an area and I got detected by an enemy and I said "oh shit!" at the same time he said "oh shit!"
It was funny.

I feel like a doofus starting the game on normal but the gameplay is very fun so I'll play it again on survivor when I beat it.
lol, that has yet to happen to me. Maybe it will eventually. I'm also playing on normal as well. I don't play TPS/FPS games on hard unless it's Metal Gear.

Ceebs

Is Joel's voice acting driving anyone else crazy? He goes from sounding like random gruff dude to super thick Texas drawl at the drop of a hat.

I'd say best shooting mechanics imo this gen are MP3, Gears of War 3, UC2 and Vanquished.
WHAT? Any time you have to shoot a gun is the worst part of Uncharted 2.

Guys kind of spoilers not really sure, but spent about 30 minutes on this section and am getting infuriated so I just want to know if this is worth my time:

It's really early on in the game, first 2 hours. No real spoilers but still gonna put it!
You guys know the area where your introduced to the new type of infected? The Clicker? There's an area where there are like 10 of them walking around, in that area there is a book store with a safe, across the book store there is a store with a note saying "Put my stuff in the safe the combo is _____", well... what the hell is in the safe I've died many times trying to open it, Not sure if it's worth it anymore. Seriously 10 deaths and 30 minutes spent trying to open the damn thing.

50 pieces to upgrade with. I tried doing it undetected about a dozen times, got pissed and stealth killed everything instead.

Got hit by a bug right after where it wouldn't let me trigger the animation for bringing down the ladder. Walked around for like five minutes looking for something else to do. Sucked.

But still best game EVAR. Seriously, I haven't been this wrapped up in a game since I was a kid.

Some weapon parts and ammo.

Nothing too important, but useful.

No, but you can decrease the weapon sway by saving up the pills you find and using them in the skill menu ( R1 when you press select). Makes it a lot better .

Thanks! Think I'm gonna give up going for the
safe
then, spent way to long on it, don't want it to continue frustrating me.

Still love this game though, I really enjoy that it's ME that makes the game hard, not the game trying it's best to be difficult, it's all on the player and his play style that decides if the game is frustrating or not.

50 pieces to upgrade with. I tried doing it undetected about a dozen times, got pissed and stealth killed everything instead.

Got hit by a bug right after where it wouldn't let me trigger the animation for bringing down the ladder. Walked around for like five minutes looking for something else to do. Sucked.

But still best game EVAR. Seriously, I haven't been this wrapped up in a game since I was a kid.

I tried this, just going full on aggressive mode and killing every single
Clicker
in the room with my gun, didn't work, may just try and stealth kill then. Really don't want to spend all my supplies on Shivs, but meh.

Bladenic

The first 1:30-2 hours after the intro are a little boring.

Then shit gets real REALLY fast, and it has yet to let up. It's amazing thus far.

This game is incredible in accurately portraying the feeling of being under fire. I'm wondering how other games in the future will top this aspect.

No other game even comes close. The sound, the camera work, the confusion, the "where did that come from?" the "shit, that one was too close.".

This is the most intense and pulse-pounding video game ever created. That I've played, at least.

The design of each area and the placements/patrol routes of the enemies are absolutely flawless. I typically hate stealth games and I typically hate understanding enemy movement patterns, but it is such an enjoyable and rewarding experience in this game. Something, something Dark Souls.
Very interesting. So given your military experience, would you say that TLOU's combat is more authentic in terms of intensity compared to a game like CoD?

Andrew.

Banned
The aiming is a mini game in and of itself. It's like one of those dragon pirate ships at amusement parks, swaying in a wide U form and you just have to time it right to connect proper. It's really fun and my accuracy is 100% still. I only got Ellie about an hour ago.

void666

Banned
Question: on hard mode enemies die faster?

I'm playing on normal and enemies take bullets like it's nothing.

I don't mind being killed by one or two bullets as long as the same applies to enemies.

Edit: By enemies i mean humans.

antitrop

Very interesting. So given your military experience, would you say that TLOU's combat is more authentic in terms of intensity compared to a game like CoD?
Call of Duty is as close to actual military combat as swimming in an inflatable kiddie pool is to swimming in the ocean.

I guess that means yes.

Vire

The only thing stopping this game from being probably the best I've played this generation is the framerate.

Man.. I just wish.

Oh well.

Jagxyz

So I've been playing the multiplayer first (don't have a decent sound system till tomorrow) and it's actually pretty great.

Ammo is super scarce, so you can't spray and pray, and combat is really satisfying. There's a big focus on teamwork as well, as if the enemy doesn't finish you off after downing you, you can be revived.

Also, the facebook integration is pretty cool as well.

Andrew.

Banned
I'd say so far this is probably gonna top Infinite for me for the year. GTA will just be GTA with upgrades and that was the other probable contender. I got a feeling about this sumbitch though

Megasoum

Banned
According to my save I'm 20% in right now and I can't say the game is really clicking with me right now (pun intended).

I get that this is a stealth game and that fine (I wouldn't want a new Uncharted anyway) but I dunno. So far I got two stealth section that I had to retry multiple time to get through and it's gets annoying after a couple of retries.

I think I'll stop for tonight and pick up where I left it tomorrow.

The NPC audio gets really low when you turn away from them, which is a shame since I'd like to search while their talking without needing subtitles.

Ponn

Banned
hmm...so I got a promo code from amazon for the sights and sounds pack, but one is also included in the survival edition right? Okay then.

sunnz

The reason Why I love the Shooting mechanics is because it gives the impression that shooting and running/ gunning is not a good idea and basically puts you off from it.

If you want to play like that, then you can make that kinda possible (skills, weapon upgrades) which is awesome though.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the infected/humans can see your flashlight?

Infected: Nope, it has no effect.

Humans: Not too sure, I think it does maybe.

I am 2 hours in and I am loving this game. It does a fantastic job setting up the story. The first 2 hours is trying to do so much, I would just be patient. It is introducing us to the world, the background of our characters, the controls, introducing new characters, and setting up the story.

There is so much the game is trying to do in the first 2 hours, sure, it would be nice for more long stretches of gameplay. However, I am fine with it cause I am totally aware of the story the game is trying to build and the controls it is introducing, all of that takes time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I may have hurt my enjoyment of this game by playing Thief the other day. The stealth is so very rudimentary and easy.

After getting a good feel for how this game plays, I'm so glad I made the decision to do Hard with Listen Mode off.

The tension... phew, boy. This is awesome.
I know what you mean. I am a bit annoyed there's no way to peek around cover. But playing on Hard right off the bat (I never do that!) without Listen Mode is amazing.

So far my favorite combat section (I'm only three hours in) was
in the Capitol, when the soldiers come. The tension is insane. They're sweeping the rooms for me, I'm hunting them.

GutsOfThor

Any clue on how long the game is? I'm tempted to pick it up on Newegg for $45 but if it's 7-8 hours I'll just wait till it's $20.

antitrop

Any clue on how long the game is? I'm tempted to pick it up on Newegg for $45 but if it's 7-8 hours I'll just wait till it's $20.

14-20 hours. Obviously depends on difficulty choice and whether you use Listen Mode to cheat, or actually spend a few minutes every time you come across some enemies to understand the best way to defeat them.

Top Bottom