• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

So my PS3 fan is super loud while playing this game.

Should I be worried?
Should I stop playing?

I don't want my PS3 to break. I really can't afford a new one...

i'm gonna open my ps3 tomorrow and change the thermal paste. Otherwise the overheating may damage it permanently. It's a fat, right?

Megasoum

Banned
All right so...theory of mine... spoiler obviously (well I hope lol)

So let me guess... Ellie is immune to the spores and because of that she's the key to saving the human race..... AKA it's Children of Men...

I don't want to get spoiled by people who already finished the game... I just want to write down my theory somewhere so I can get back to it once I'm done lol.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
3 hours in, just reached the demo area. God damn, those production values. I agree that its a bit immersion breaking when AI companions arent detected right in front of someone else, but I can deal. People who arent playing this with a good sound system or headphones are missing out.

antitrop

This game has the Naughty Dog problem of having less than stellar looking levels for the first 30% of the game. I'm 70% through and the game looks fucking great. Still has aliasing though but not as noticeable.

So for any of you annoyed by the quality of the levels, keep playing. It looks better and better as it goes on.

Thanks, makes me feel better.

antitrop

i'm gonna open my ps3 tomorrow and change the thermal paste. Otherwise the overheating may damage it permanently. It's a fat, right?
I'm probably going to have to do this tomorrow. I'll stop at Best Buy on my way home from work and get some more thermal paste and a can of duster.
My fat PS3 fan is running at an insane speed. My PC fans can't even run that fast/loud.

EDIT: Whoops for double post, assumed the thread would move faster. :p

The_Monk

3 hours in, just reached the demo area. God damn, those production values. I agree that its a bit immersion breaking when AI companions arent detected right in front of someone else, but I can deal. People who arent playing this with a good sound system or headphones are missing out.

I really agree fellow (BROTHER) GAFfer. I admit my Headset may not be the best and currently I do not have a mic on them but they are the best that I have and so far the difference is sound with them it's just... amazing. (They are the Tritton AX 720).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks, makes me feel better.

Some areas/rooms in the beginning had crazy texture/lighting work though. You probably wouldnt be able to tell a screenshot of some spots apart from some next gen title screenshots. I was stunned a few times that they push these textures on PS3.

I really agree fellow (BROTHER) GAFfer. I admit my Headset may not be the best and currently I do not have a mic on them but they are the best that I have and so far the difference is sound with them it's just... amazing. (They are the Tritton AX 720).

Haha.

But yeah, the sound. Wow. Not sure how this game holds up when playing through it, but I have no doubt that its the best sound design and quality I've heard this year and certainly among the top during the whole gen.

antitrop

Some areas/rooms in the beginning had crazy texture/lighting work though. You probably wouldnt be able to a screenshot of some spots apart from some next gen title screenshots.
I can agree with this.

The aliasing is most noticeable when walking around, but if you stop moving the camera and stare at some of the textures they are INSANE.

Man this well be the most uneven game I've played this gen so far from what I've played to this point. It's such a fascinating game to analyze. I'm going to have fun writing up my feelings on this one.

Quite interested in reading them.

I'm gonna be watching this being played before I take a whack at it. I'm actually kinda curious how the game holds up after you've seen everything.

Inversive

Just finished it on hard, god damn there some creepy as hell moments in this game! I enjoyed the infected parts of the game much more than fighting humans, the game has a really oppressing atmosphere during the horror sections, it's great.

About Bill, and some superb subtle writing:

best fucking gay character, probably since New Vegas. But 20 million times better. I am so impressed. As soon as I heard the line "somebody i cared about" from the trailer, I wondered.

Then he said 'partner'

Then we come across Frank, still not even slightly explicit he's gay.

Then Frank's note in the back room.

Then dirty gay mags.

So classy Naughty Dog. That made my fucking night.

Quikies83

Just finished it on hard, god damn there some creepy as hell moments in this game! I enjoyed the infected parts of the game much more than fighting humans, the game has a really oppressing atmosphere during the horror sections, it's great.

I'm about 2 1/2 hours in... reading what you just said makes me happy.

edit: How long did it take you to finish, i'm also playing on hard.

antitrop

Okay, after a few hours of playing the technical issues aren't ruining my game experience, anymore. I've become adjusted to them.

I also found some compressed air I didn't even know I had, sprayed a bunch in the back vents of my fat PS3 and the fan seems to be cooperating a little bit better now, but still...

7 years in between consoles. Never again.

Inversive

I'm about 2 1/2 hours in... reading what you just said makes me happy.

edit: How long did it take you to finish, i'm also playing on hard.

Not too sure, about 14ish hours. I haven't turned my ps3 off since I started playing (due to save bug thing) and my save file is from 1.30 hours into the game, i can't do a survivor run as the game hasn't registered the completion :( I also bought a bunch of unlockables which now are locked again as i needed to have beaten the game on hard... lol such bullshit.

Gonna try the mp anyway to wash the bad taste away :/

Animator

best fucking gay character, probably since New Vegas. But 20 million times better. I am so impressed. As soon as I heard the line "somebody i cared about" from the trailer, I wondered.

Then he said 'partner'

Then dirty gay mags.

Yea Bill is my favorite character in the game after Joel.

Megasoum

Banned
Seeing them run around or past an enemy NPC is so disappointing. Every single time. We all get why but man...seeing it is something else.

At some point I was grabbing one of the soldiers, I had another soldier facing me with his flashlight on at maximum 10 feets in front of me (so looking at me choking his buddy)... And during all that Ellie was running freely back and forth between the two of us lol...

Dragun619

yo, normally I don't pay $60 for any game and rather just wait til it drops to $30, but man, I went into Best Buy today and bought a copy and it felt pretty good. Looking forward to playing it tonight with my headphones.

breakfuss

Then he said 'partner'

Then dirty gay mags.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. makes sense now, lol.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really disappointed the bullets are so non-lethal. Both incoming and outgoing bullets should either knock someone down or leave them near dead. Bullet sponges don't suit this style of game.

Gotta say I'm very impressed. Tlou has actual gameplay unlike the set piece + lame gun fight formula from uncharted. And the story is far more superior than all of NDs previous endeavors combined.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
vfI9HXT.jpg

Got my copy this morning...

Hey Sony, thanks for the totally sweet shiny metallic Naughty Dog stickers instead of a manual! :-/

The manual is on the disc in the XMB it's below the game but Yea T_T

sunnz

Man the companion AI can really be terrible some times...ugh.

Yea, it really is bad.

Then again, I kinda expected it to be ( not this bad though)

Enemy AI for the most part ( 90% of the time) are pretty damn good though I feel.

Very enjoyable, challenging and engaging.

From flanking, way they communicate sometimes, way they attack and just how they respond is pretty awesome.

I have had more enemies flank me in this game in my 8 or so hours of play than any other game I have played fully. Really makes you focus on your surroundings properly and not just in one direction.

No listen mode too, a lot more intense.

Not too sure, about 14ish hours. I haven't turned my ps3 off since I started playing (due to save bug thing) and my save file is from 1.30 hours into the game, i can't do a survivor run as the game hasn't registered the completion :( I also bought a bunch of unlockables which now are locked again as i needed to have beaten the game on hard... lol such bullshit.

Gonna try the mp anyway to 9wash the bad taste away :/
Thats not at all the way to play single player games...

I just started playing. About 45 mins in and taking a break for a while.

antitrop

After getting a good feel for how this game plays, I'm so glad I made the decision to do Hard with Listen Mode off.

The tension... phew, boy. This is awesome.

Holy shit, this game is getting so good. The tense of the combat, the characters...man this game! There were multiple times I actually said shit out loud(custcenes and combat wise) and I don't do this at all. First game that I'm actually in hooked on since... I can't even remember. Taking a break now, will jump back in one more time tonight.

Oneself

2 hours in ... probably the best game of this gen already. I wasn't sure after playing the demo but wow, this is just amazing. It looks so good, the attention to details is ridiculous as is everything else in fact. Naughty Dog does it again... not that I wasn't expecting it but, damn!

Guys kind of spoilers not really sure, but spent about 30 minutes on this section and am getting infuriated so I just want to know if this is worth my time:

It's really early on in the game, first 2 hours. No real spoilers but still gonna put it!
You guys know the area where your introduced to the new type of infected? The Clicker? There's an area where there are like 10 of them walking around, in that area there is a book store with a safe, across the book store there is a store with a note saying "Put my stuff in the safe the combo is _____", well... what the hell is in the safe I've died many times trying to open it, Not sure if it's worth it anymore. Seriously 10 deaths and 30 minutes spent trying to open the damn thing.

Holy shit, this game is getting so good. The tense of the combat, the characters...man this game! There were multiple times I actually said shit out loud(custcenes and combat wise) and I don't do this at all. First game that I'm actually in hooked on since... I can't even remember. Taking a break now, will jump back in one more time tonight.

I was playing an area and I got detected by an enemy and I said "oh shit!" at the same time he said "oh shit!"
It was funny.

I feel like a doofus starting the game on normal but the gameplay is very fun so I'll play it again on survivor when I beat it.

Top Bottom