• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

dmr87

Listen mode off and headphones on, super awesome. Played 5-6 hours so far and what can I say, it's Naughty Dog alright. Bit janky with the framerate at times along with some less than ideal aliasing but overall it looks amazing, and it controls sooo well too.

Imagine this at 1080p/60, hhnnnnnnggh. Cannot wait for Naughty Dogs take at the PS4, glorious times ahead.

Simple question, y'all: would I be doing myself a disservice by not playing during night hours? I want to lend as much to the atmosphere as possible, particularly for the opening.

Thanks!

I'm about an hour in. Amazing intro - some of those scenes looked next-gen quality - and enjoyable so far. So refreshing to have a game like this with serious dialogue. This game is written better than many movies.

lol at my aiming; first time I've played my PS3 game since Killzone 3 came out.

DrBo42

Loved this game but im getting my ass kick.

Don't get caught in the standard procedure for 3rd person games, you're not a stationary turret. Sprint if you're being overwhelmed or flanked. You will not survive if you sit still and let yourself be surrounded.

j-wood

What a stupid segment. I'm scavenging for bullets the entire game and then I'm put into a shootout segment with infinite ammo. Why would you do this, Naughty Dog?

Are you talking about when you are hanging upside down because of the trap? I remember having full ammo for the revolver during that, and when i finished I only had 2 bullets left

This game is so good. I'm at 6 hours and 40% complete. Ellie might be my favorite character this generation.
I love the back and forth she has with Bill. Amazing

vilmer_

Don't get caught in the standard procedure for 3rd person games, you're not a stationary turret. Sprint if you're being overwhelmed or flanked. You will not survive if you sit still and let yourself be surrounded.

This is going to be hard aka somewhat of a challenge for a lot of people. I'd like to think we are better than that here :p

Donthizz#

Simple question, y'all: would I be doing myself a disservice by not playing during night hours? I want to lend as much to the atmosphere as possible, particularly for the opening.

Thanks!

I would say yes, and if you have headset use it as well, sounds are amazing in this game.

Duxxy3

Thanks!

The only requirement is a screen, a controller and headphones.

AlexBasch

Learned this the hard way. Tried to sneak up a Clicker and ended up doing a Benny Hill chase until I got rid of all the enemies. ):

Gbraga

Ok, the brightness settings are REALLY bugging me, how dark is the demo part supposed to be? Is it supposed to be grayish or it's supposed to be actually dark?

The only requirement is a screen, a controller and headphones.

Ha. Sounds good. I am vetoing the headphones, sadly. I don't have a comfortable pair at the ready and I also wear thick-ass glasses. I tried plugging my IEMs into my TV, but the sound levels were all over the joint.

Fuck. It's 1.30 in the afternoon here and I really want to get stuck in, but I also feel as if it'd be the wrong thing to do.

TheExodu5

Banned
Clickers make this game so dumb. Where I'm at there's a gauntlet a Clickers I need to stealth through. I can either:

1) Stealth through slowly and hope I don't get one shotted, wasting minutes every attempt.
2) Waste all my ammo because clickers take a shitload of bullets to kill.
3) Run through all of them in seconds and then just crouch move at the end, letting my companions run through afterwards undetected.

DrBo42

I wish some of the upgrade options weren't in the game. The dual holster for long guns and pistols just makes it cake if you have ammo. Getting a gun out of your bag because the current equipped one is empty is nerve-racking and should persist through the game IMO.

Clickers make this game so dumb. Where I'm at there's a gauntlet a Clickers I need to stealth through. I can either:

1) Stealth through slowly and hope I don't get one shotted, wasting minutes every attempt.
3) Run through all of them in seconds and then just crouch move at the end, letting my companions run through afterwards undetected.

2 to the head. They even pause and do a pissed animation after the first.

AlexBasch

how do I use a standard headphones (audio in) on a ps3?
I use my RCA cables, set dual audio on my TV and connect the white/red cables to a Y adapter with a 3.5mm plug converter.

Can't control the volume, but it works good.

EDIT: Aight, sounds confusing.

RCA cables (along with HDMI, didn't know PS3 allows you to dual audio) > Y RCA to 3.5mm adapter > Female 3.5mm Jack to Jack connector > Headphones.

Couldn't get this at Wal Mart or Futureshop (Canada), and these are my only options. I was planning on playing this all weekend. I'm devastated and don't know what to do with myself.

TheExodu5

Banned
2 to the head. They even pause and do a pissed animation after the first.

There are 6 clickers in the gauntlet. Would still take a ton of bullets even if I didn't miss a single shot.

In any case, my main point is that you're better just running through and stealthing at the end relying on the fact that they can't detect your partner AI.

SOLDIER

For those of us with 5.1 surround speakers, what setting is ideal for Dynamic Range? I usually don't get that option, so I can't tell which gives me the most surround effects.

I hate that I'm apparently now the type to ask this question but can someone give me a rough estimate of where I'm at, completion wise..

I basically just got the
bow
and did the
inverted
shooting part.

EDIT oh the game tells you? never mind then. I'm actually really warming up to this game.

This is the sequel to RE4 I've always wanted.

10 hours in and it doesn't feel like I'm nearing the end yet.

There are 6 clickers in the gauntlet. Would still take a ton of bullets even if I didn't miss a single shot.

Go nuts on the clickers. Stealth kill as many as you can and then pull out the shotgun, bombs and molotovs. You won't need those for anything else.

Half way done.

- Dat intro
- top 5 best looking game this gen IMO. The lighting, colors, frame rate, animations etc
- GREAT writing. Great voice acting as well.
- So far i'm 50/50 on the gameplay. Crafting is neat, combat system is ACE ( PLEASE USE IT IN UNCHARTED), Shooting is a little off and useless for the most part, friendly AI is a tad mess but the game would be damn near hard to beat if it was more strict, stealth is great but i wish the cover system had a little more meat to it.

The story is brutal, violent, and funny at the same time. Great work so far.

webkatt

I played with the pulse and it made it more immersive than my 2.1 soundbar.

the trade-off is that my head gets too hot with the giant headset, don't think i can use it for more than an hour at a time

dude manual saving is fucked for me. Went out of my way to open a safe and hard saved but then I got grabbed and no matter what it defaults to an autosave a bit before I got into the safe.

Gbraga

Half way done.

- Dat intro
- top 5 best looking game this gen IMO. The lighting, colors, frame rate, animations etc
- GREAT writing. Great voice acting as well.
- So far i'm 50/50 on the gameplay. Crafting is neat, combat system is ACE ( PLEASE USE IT IN UNCHARTED), Shooting is a little off and useless for the most part, friendly AI is a tad mess but the game would be damn near hard to beat if it was more strict, stealth is great but i wish the cover system had a little more meat to it.

The story is brutal, violent, and funny at the same time. Great work so far.

Really?

I hate that I'm apparently now the type to ask this question but can someone give me a rough estimate of where I'm at, completion wise..

I basically just got the
bow
and did the
inverted
shooting part.
The game's 15-20 hours long. I just got to that part and I've only played 3+ hours. You're not ever a quarter of the way through

Pro-tip. Clickers cannot hear you if you push slightly on the stick while crouched. Easy grab shiv kills when they aren't alerted. If you have a melee weapon you can select a brick or bottle and quick throw it at them to stun, quickly run up and one hit kill them. I also use bottles and bricks to attach them to the same area and then light a group up with a molotov. When you see them in a group of runners to, always use the sprint button and keep distance.

DrBo42

Pro-tip. Clickers cannot hear you if you push slightly on the stick while crouched. Easy grab shiv kills when they aren't alerted. If you have a melee weapon you can select a brick or bottle and quick throw it at them to stun, quickly run up and one hit kill them. I also use bottles and bricks to attract them to the same area and then light a group up with a molotov. When you see them in a group of runners to, always use the sprint button and keep distance.

Love doing that. So satisfying.

I'm manual saving a lot. Saving still seems super janky to me, like when I go to do a manual it will pop up

AUTOSAVE IN PROGRESS
AUTOSAVE IN PROGRESS

AUTOSAVE IN PROGRESS
AUTOSAVE IN PROGRESS

and freak me out for a while until it eventually gives in. I've had a few weird disc errors after booting up the PlayStation.

dmr87

I have a pretty good surround sound system but I would still recommend using headphones for this game since you want to hear every small sound detail that happens as you sneak around trying to figure out what's going on. And you should of course play without Listen mode.

neoism

about intro --->
I have to say the intro was awesome but sooooooooooooooooooooooo guessable still good but it was so apparent what was going to happen

1. Throw a bottle to gather them all in one place.
2. Throw a Molotov cocktail to kill them all at once.

best way to get rid of groups.

Edit - Beaten lol

Vire

This... might be my favorite game in the last decade.

Wow, just wow. Some of the areas a little later on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
~4 hours in right now and went into 3 MP games.

So far, I like it a lot, but it isn't really setting the world on fire. Very slow paced so far with some small spikes(which is fine to me). FANTASTIC detail in the world, and I am liking the story/characters and general setup a lot. There are a few oddities in the gameplay, mainly with me playing stealthy--they really only have that ONE animation for choking people out? Why do so many games mess that up? There is otherwise some amazing level of animation blending in active combat or the louder takedowns.

Combat itself looks and feels very brutal, but the praise is pretty funny as it is exactly the press A for awesome Dragon Age gif that gets mocked all the time. There is no skill to it, no timing, you just mash a single button for everything.

Shootouts have been fairing better, everything has a good impact and Joel's aiming is done in a way that makes sense, as the AI themselves aren't on perfect autoaim drugs like most other games. They feel sloppy and realer, as it would be. I almost feel Joel actually has too much health though, and I haven't noticed anything like taking a shot to the arm impacting aim that I heard about a lot prerelease.

The sound design and camera work is also stellar. Whatever they do with the camera while you sprint is one of the main reasons the game can feel so tense as you hear runners and clickers, the shaking isn't obnoxious but adds an unease and speed to you moving around that is done very well.

MP is confusing to me, but is a lot different and slower paced compared to uncharted. Seems neat but I need to play more to decide how I feel. Some of the max level booster things seem worrying.

Clott

Stuck!

Just got the the building where everyone is supposed to meet up.

big spoiler for the first quarter of the game -

Tess was just killed, I ran upstairs but I can't jump to the other building, what am i supposed to do?

Edit: you can jump with X, whaaat? just found out with mashing the buttons.

antitrop

I'm manual saving a lot. Saving still seems super janky to me, like when I go to do a manual it will pop up

AUTOSAVE IN PROGRESS
AUTOSAVE IN PROGRESS

AUTOSAVE IN PROGRESS
AUTOSAVE IN PROGRESS

and freak me out for a while until it eventually gives in. I've had a few weird disc errors after booting up the PlayStation.
Mine does the same thing.

I can't possibly understand how a development studio that can make a game like this can have something like that...

DrBo42

Stuck!

Just got the the building where everyone is supposed to meet up.

big spoiler for the first quarter of the game -

Tess was just killed, I ran upstairs but I can't jump to the other building, what am i supposed to do?

You're supposed to find another way back down actually.

Top Bottom